Recent change in steering wheel leather quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Recent change in steering wheel leather quality?

This is really meant for all of Acura's current line of vehicles, but posting here since im mainly an RLX user.

I've noticed as of the recent release of the 2015 TLX and 2015 MDX, Acura has started using, what is to me, a lower quality grade leather for the steering wheels. It is no longer that smooth, almost felt like leather that you find in the current RLX and even the ILX. They have switched to some grainy, textured (almost feels like vinyl) type leather wrapping for the steering, and it just feels CHEAP. Like really CHEAP.

Anyone else noticed this when testing out the 2015 TLX / MDX?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Not just the steering wheel quality, but so much more has been downgraded in Acura interiors. I remember when Acura interiors were the epitome of luxury, real wood and high quality leather everywhere. Now they seem like not much of an upgrade from an Accord Touring.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
This is really meant for all of Acura's current line of vehicles, but posting here since im mainly an RLX user.

I've noticed as of the recent release of the 2015 TLX and 2015 MDX, Acura has started using, what is to me, a lower quality grade leather for the steering wheels. It is no longer that smooth, almost felt like leather that you find in the current RLX and even the ILX. They have switched to some grainy, textured (almost feels like vinyl) type leather wrapping for the steering, and it just feels CHEAP. Like really CHEAP.

I don't think it true for the 2015 RLX, my steering wheel is very smooth.
The following users liked this post:
holografique (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
I may have agreed with you in 2008, but recently they've really stepped up in quality. Look at the TSX and TL versus the new TLX... no wood and plastic trim vs wood trim and real aluminum
Old 11-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I dunno. The 2014 RLX I test drove had excellent interior materials, nothing felt cheap, and everything was (as always) well bolted together, without panel gaps. The TLXs I've sat in didn't seem all that cheap, either, other than the leather in the Advance models. I guess I need to look a bit more closely. Of course, I've been in two 2008-vintage design Cadillacs I was reasonably happy with for almost six years, so all of the new Acuras are an improvement compared to that.

Are the new Acuras as good as my 2G RL? Only more time behind the wheel will tell.

It's all relative.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:18 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I dunno. The 2014 RLX I test drove had excellent interior materials, nothing felt cheap, and everything was (as always) well bolted together, without panel gaps. The TLXs I've sat in didn't seem all that cheap, either, other than the leather in the Advance models. I guess I need to look a bit more closely. Of course, I've been in two 2008-vintage design Cadillacs I was reasonably happy with for almost six years, so all of the new Acuras are an improvement compared to that.

Are the new Acuras as good as my 2G RL? Only more time behind the wheel will tell.

It's all relative.

The design theory (I notice) changed between my 4G TL and the RLX. Better or worse, I am not sure. But they changed their minds about a lot. Materials are different.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not talking about the other interior items. The overall interior on the ILX, RLX, MDX, and TLX I think are all great and I love the new generation of interior designs (especially the RLX).

I'm only talking about the steering wheel and would appreciate it staying on that topic.

Woropallo - thank you for confirming that they did not change (downgrade) the steering wheel on the RLX. I am currently in a loaner MDX (Base) for the weekend while my wife's ILX is in for it's 15,000 mile maintenance (and we didn't want to take the Minivan rental on our roadtrip) and I noticed the downgrade on the steering wheel similar to what they used in the TLX. So that's what prompted me to start this thread, in concerns that they may be also going that route with the 2015 and newer RLX

for those of you in an RLX, just go to the dealership and check out the new TLX and you'll immediately notice what I'm talking about. It doesn't feel anywhere as good as the smooth leather material they were using previously and what is still being used currently in the RLX. I'm not sure if they've made this change in the 2014/2015 ILX. My wife's ILX (2013) still has the smoother leather quality.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I just had a '14 loaner ILX on Friday. The wheel leather seemed similar to my '10 TL. As an aside, the ILX wasn't a bad car at all. Nice leather, nice sound system. It's a good-sized car for an entry level lux vehicle. All it really needs is a little more motor and a crisper transmission. I'd bet this car with the 2.4 and MT (if you could get the Tech features too), would be a very nice drive.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:49 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterZDX
Not just the steering wheel quality, but so much more has been downgraded in Acura interiors. I remember when Acura interiors were the epitome of luxury, real wood and high quality leather everywhere. Now they seem like not much of an upgrade from an Accord Touring.
Can't agree with this. I've had Acuras only since 2006, but that 3G TL sure didn't scream quality - thin aluminum trim panels that buzzed and squeaked and nothing but hard surfaces. My 2006 RL was a lot nicer, but not as nice as my current RLX.

The 2007 MDX was also nice, but not overwhelmingly. MY 2012 4G TL was about the same level as the TLX as I recall - nothing really outstanding, but everything nice enough.

The current Acura interiors are different from the earlier models, but I wouldn't call them inferior in any way. And the acres of leather swathed across the dash of my RLX is hard to fault!

As for the smooth leather on the wheel - I'd actually prefer some texture, especially in cold weather.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique

Acura had to cuts costs somewhere to maintain such a price advantage over the competition. I felt the leather in my 09 AWD TL was some of the smoothest buttery leather I have had, the leather in the gf's RDX Tech and the TLX I test drove, are a big step down. They need to realize the surfaces people touch all the time have a big influence on how people judge the car. Hyundai leaned that, in some regards, the skimped with cheap plastic parts of the upper dash that no one ever touches, and improved the surfaces people touch every day.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
They need to realize the surfaces people touch all the time have a big influence on how people judge the car.
Bingo. ESPECIALLY the steering wheel, being the one thing you touch the MOST in a car...