Really dispointing day with the dealer wish I haven't done it and advice?

Old 04-26-2015, 02:47 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Really dispointing day with the dealer wish I haven't done it and advice?

I called about the 2014 RLX advanced with 6K miles on it and got it for $36,500. I told the guy that if I can't get it for the $36,500 or atleast 5.9% no higher I don't want it. He told me he did a few things and got me at 5.6%.

I didn't go to bed and I looked things up and left here at 3am. I Ate etc and after using the bathroom I drove from 3am and got to the place I believe around 2pm in the after noon. When I got there I noticed things wrong from the start about seeing $38,880 etc. To make a long story short. He told me that the credit place would only finace me at 7.6% and he would do a buy out and drop it to 5.6%. What he did was get me to buy this resistall for $1300 and then this dentguard for $1100, added to the bill and told me that I am only paying a few hundred because the interest pans out. I ended up putting 15K down and have 27673.00 left to finance for 72 months which is $5,041 if I don't pay it off sooner.

I am not sure what to do, if I put 10K on the loan I am only paying $1,620 or so for the 3 years that I want to finance it so my credit will go up. I didn't want those damn products but I didn't want to do 7.6%. I also rented a car for $200 and had to drop it off after driving though 3 states to get there.

Any comments? I got to get the cab to get my other car but I will edit this when I get back.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
i am confused.

So did you purchase?

If not, you don't have to stand there and be raped by the dealer. I'd walk.
A) offering stuff you don't want to inflate purchase price
B) jacking up the promised interest rate

What you are looking at, son, is a bait and switch.

BTW, how was the test drive?
Old 04-26-2015, 04:37 AM
Racer

I bought it, I typed a long line of things but then it timed out on me. Bascially I bought it for what the advertised price was, it was advertised at $38,800 and when you throw those 2 things in that is what happened. I did buy it. I will tell you more tomorrow when I wake up. Drove 1000+ miles and haven't slept in 2 days and pretty damn depressed too. If I walked I would have to deal with what to do with that cashier check already made out, lose the $200 for the rental car or more since I would have to have it another day. I thought a bait and switch is when someone lures you in with one car and then sales you another. NOt the damn % thing. The only good thing about what I bought was there is no way in the world that leather and vinyl will stay good for 7 years. My lexus is tore up places all over need fixing after I paid $1200 to get it fixed myself. The leather was dyed and put back on and dye wore off again in just a few months, and all kinds of things. So the only good thing is that I see myself getting something out of this Reistall thing because nothing will withstand what I give it. The dent master thing is a complete waste. I don't park close enough to do anything with it..

one of the comments that got erased was. I went to pick up the 06 GS 300. I got in the car and thought to myself "This is a POS". I am used to the RLX interior and feeling when sitting down. I am disgusted in my daily driver now and I wasn't before, atleast not too much besides the engine. But I got to get some sleep
Old 04-26-2015, 04:40 AM
Racer

The test drive was great, couldn't feel the road at all but only on a few occasions. The chevy cruse rental was jerking up and down every second. I did have a orange light come on the RLX once saying Hold steering wheel or steer because it can't steer itself or some kind of weird msg. I need to put down what I don't like about the RLX
blindspot needs to be on the mirror not on the speaker panel. Also the lexus new version has the speed displayed on the navigation like how fast the speed limit. I was going several places and had no idea what the speed limit was. If I was in a lexus I would known then. I will change this post and fix things when I wake up
Old 04-26-2015, 06:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I need clarification on this thread. I'm feeling a little lost. Can I get an audible?
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
2011TL (04-26-2015), MisterZDX (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Krava,
Boy are you all over the place, hope you get a good night sleep. So if I understand you brought the RLX, sound like you got an advance since the you have ACC and LKAS which when on will drive the car for about 10 sec then give you a yellow indicator to put your hands on the steering wheel. This is normal. What color is the car and why are you now comparing it to other cars, you just got it. Also, based on following your post it sounds like your credit rating was questionable so even at 7.6% you may have made out ok. One of my sons had a bad credit rating and the dealer wanted 18% to finance his car, I help him out by putting 50% down on the car and he got 7.5% and paying me back the down payment at 0%. He in the same situation and after years of paying the car loan he rebuilt his credit and just brought a new car at a great interest rate. In summary, you brought the car, don't second guess yourself, drive and enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
George Knighton (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
First off - congratulations.
Second - don't second guess yourself.
Third - stop comparing it other cars - you own the RLX now.
Fourth - post some pictures.
Fifth (and most importantly), enjoy it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Limelight:
hondamore (04-26-2015), justnspace (04-26-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by woropallo
Krava,
Boy are you all over the place, hope you get a good night sleep.
LOL.... That about sums up my opinion as well. :-)

... why are you now comparing it to other cars, you just got it. Also, based on following your post it sounds like your credit rating was questionable so even at 7.6% you may have made out ok.
Ditto. If he's chosen to shop in the circumstances that he described to us, then, getting past that Step One, he has to accept reasonable sacrifices and consequences following.

Odds are the car will last him a very long time. It's a very well equipped, good driving, good feeling car at a very good price.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

OK, I'll take a stab at a Cliff's notes.

He purchased this RLX advertised at $38.5, with 6185 miles (he said he was driving to Mobile, AL):
Cars for Sale: 2014 Acura RLX in Mobile, AL 36695: Sedan Details - 395086055 - Autotrader

He says he offered $36.5k but was added two option packages he didn't want, and was forced to take in exchange for a lower interest rate. i.e. the dealer profited severely.

Because of the deal offered at 5.6%, he took it but it felt slimy (and from his description, it was).

He liked the test drive other than the "Steering Required" message, which is normal in the circumstance in which he was driving it.

I think that covers it, and I agree he'll be more cogent with a little sleep.

krava, official welcome to the RLX community and post your details in the RLX owner thread!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Grandpa

I have no idea what "dent guard" is, but a lot of us have and like Resistall.

My car is Seacoast leather, and has seen 12K+ miles of hard use already, and no indigo transfer or anything else has stuck to it...so far. :-)
Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Dent Guard
Old 04-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
so you spent $2500+ against your wish, because you didnt want to waste the $200 rental. Makes no sense. Its over, you signed the dotted line, now enjoy your new car. Even at 38, you got a great deal, close to 15-20K off the original price.
If you can afford, send more each month and pay it off sooner.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
As soon as a salesman knows that you traveled a significant distance to potentially buy a car, any and all bargaining power you had is immediately lost. He/she knows that you went to a lot of trouble getting there and that you really don't want to leave without a car - that is, they own you.

Probably the best way to handle this situation would have been to tell the salesman that you were in town visiting a friend and decided to stop by to look at the car. In that scenario, if they don't give you the exact deal that you want, they fully expect that you will walk away without being inconvenienced in the slightest.

All of that said, hindsight is 20/20 and we all live and learn. The important thing is that you got the car that you wanted for a really good price. As others have urged you to do...enjoy it, it's a great car.

Last edited by hondamore; 04-26-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by hondamore
As soon as a salesman knows that you traveled a significant distance to potentially buy a car, any and all bargaining power you had is immediately lost.
In December 1999, I drove from Richmond VA to Atlanta GA to buy '00 ITR #110, the first Not Yellow ITR that anybody could find me.

Never regretted it for an instant. :-)

In this case, it sounds like the financing was not straight aforesaid, and it sounds like the owner really wanted to get the car, which gave the dealership some advantages that it would not have in every case.

In the long run, I think the new owner will realize that he did just fine considering his circumstances.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
OK, I'll take a stab at a Cliff's notes.

He purchased this RLX advertised at $38.5, with 6185 miles (he said he was driving to Mobile, AL):
Cars for Sale: 2014 Acura RLX in Mobile, AL 36695: Sedan Details - 395086055 - Autotrader

He says he offered $36.5k but was added two option packages he didn't want, and was forced to take in exchange for a lower interest rate. i.e. the dealer profited severely.

Because of the deal offered at 5.6%, he took it but it felt slimy (and from his description, it was).

He liked the test drive other than the "Steering Required" message, which is normal in the circumstance in which he was driving it.

I think that covers it, and I agree he'll be more cogent with a little sleep.

krava, official welcome to the RLX community and post your details in the RLX owner thread!
Thanks Dr. Bob for this. krava I do appreciate the value you add to this board and you usually do make valid points, but sometimes we have a hard time comprehending your posts. But anyway, enjoy your new ride
Old 04-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Racer

Here is the Redo:

I just woke up and got some rest so I am going to redo this.

I have been debating for weeks about getting a car or not getting a car. I have been going back from a GS350 to the Acura RLX. The car I have is 10 years old and has 180,000 miles on it and the car has an engine design problem that has it building carbon up every so often and it cost $6,000 at lexus to get it done, so that is the reason I was considering getting a car. I want to use the lexus I have as a "beater" car instead of racking miles up on the new one.

Every car I have looked at gets sold out from under me. I had a 13 GS with 5K miles sold in 2 days and a RLX with 14K sell right when I was trying to go up there with money to get it. I saw this ad on auto trader and it was for a 14 RLX Advanced with 6,380 miles on it for $38,900. A long story short I called the guy up and offered him $36,000 and he said the lowest he could go would be $36,500 so we agreed on it. This was in autotrader and said Private Seller. I tried to get my bank to finace me but they turned me down (even with a 711 score that used to be 750 before running credit around other places). He said that he knew someone that could help get me financed. So that guy contacted me and told me to fill out a credit app from BMW of Mobile. I filled out the app and he told me he had to wheel and deal but he got me down to 5.6%. Before he financed me, I told him I got approved for 5.9% twice and if I couldn't get that or below I don't want the car. So at this point in time we have a price agreed upon and a finance percent that I am ok with.

[ If you don't know the whole story. I haven't had credit in 15 years. I was a 0 when I got checked 8 months ago and I have been doing things to get the score up. I got it up to 750 and I thought a credit score was the only thing they look at. I started off with 2 $250 secure loans, then I got a CC from Kohls, then I got a real CC from the bank. Then after those secure loans were done I got two more $250's. But I got nothing of significance. I didn't know what I know now. My IRS returns only show 10K or so ( Being self employed is hard you pay 40% or so taxes no matter what you make over like 20K ) So anyway I don't have proof of income and I have short term credit history ]

I rent a car for $199, it was a Chevy Cruze. I didn't go to bed because I was a bit excited and I left at 4am. I drove and got to a bank where I got the cashier check, the only bank open on Saturday was in New Orleans. I got there at 10am got the check and then headed off for mobile. I got there and they took 30 minutes before getting to me and then we started to do the paper work. I did the paper work and saw the price as $38800 on one of the forms and I asked about it and he said something about taxes and not to worry about it and that it was just something he had to put on paper so they wouldnt' get him into trouble. Then he presented me with this. He told me that to get my rate approved he had to do a 2% buyback on the loan. He got me approved for 7.6% and he would do a 2% buyback but I had to buy 2 items so he could. He said one item only cost $8. (I guess that was $8 a month he was referring to. Not Just $8). He told me about the items and I didn't want them but knew that if I didn't get them I would haven't the percent I needed. One of the items is Resist All NG2. He didn't tell me a cost at all. The product sounds good because I have that problem with my lexus now and have had it for years. The leather has changed from tan to black and also vinyl parts of the car have been heavily damaged. According to this product if I had this protection, it would be covered. The other product was DentGuard so if anyone hits my car then I get it done for free. I ended up with a 7 year policy for one and 5 year for the other. I also told the guy I wanted to put atleast 15K down (I could have bought the whole thing cash). So I could get my credit rating up and put me in position to get another car at a good rate and also house etc. This is how things fit together:

Annual Percent Rate = 5.6% Finance Charge $5133.16 Amount Financed $27,673. Total of Payments $32806 Total Price of Sale $47,806

72 payments at $455.64

Itemization of amount Financed

Cash price (including $3336.24 Sales Tax)
Cash = $15,000
Unpaid balance $24836,64

Other Charges
#0 BMW of Mobile Doc Fee $499
#1 Dent Guard $1204.00
#2 Caltex Resistal $1134.00
Total other charges $2837.00
Amount Total Financed $27673.64

So that is the full break down of what I paid. My question is should I immediately pay this loan down so I don't get hit with such a high finance charge? He said I need to pay on it for alteast 3 years to get my credit rating up and anything shorter then that wouldn't be any good. But my question is, is there such thing as a Dealer buyback? Making the loan 2% lower buy making me add that extra stuff? I think what he did was he told the Loan people he would pay 2% of the loan in one lump sum so I could get the rate that I wanted or he lied to add the extra items in there? He didn't tell me of any of these items until I got there. I wouldn't have gotten the car if I would have known about all this upfront. He also said that I needed to test drive the car, which I never did. Also the weather got really bad there and turned almost completely dark in the middle of the day. Is there a way to call the people I got the Loan from and ask them if they financed me at 5.6 or it was indeed 7.6% and the loan person lied to me to get me to pay that extra 2%. This is what I am faced with, I was basically Cornered, I didn't have a ride back 3 states away and was sort of forced into this deal. That is how I feel and I am depressed over the whole experience. I thought I had a great Deal and now I just got a So So Normal Deal if you think about it. I bought a RLX 2014 advanced with 6K miles on it for $38,800 instead of the $36,500 but I ended up with those 2 packages. I did end up with .3% under a finance charge that I thought I would be paying though. I just need to know if I should pay more of this down so they don't get as much interest or just let it do its thing for awhile and pay that interest. I hope this offers more info. I am in a rush right now have to meet up with someone.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Racer

I read though this fast. The steering msg showed up somewhere hours while I was driving it, I am not sure but I thought it was weird, I wasn't worried about it. The first test drive I did with the car I had the base model and drove 200 miles to dallas to test drive it. After I drove it I told them I didn't like it at all and hated it. It was really rough and felt big but knew I had to give it another chance. This car drives completely different. I didn't test drive this new one until after I bought it. My first experiences with it was in very bad weather. I was a bit nervous driving a car I was not familiar with in a rain storm for the first time. I will post pictures and things later today. I have bugs all over it from the LONG trip. For the other guy's post. I didn't pay the $2500 extra just because of the loaner. I paid $2300 extra because what he said did make since and I might be able to use those products. If you take that 2% and you added it over the entire 5 years. I paid basically $300 for those 2 products or around that price. I don't think I should pay for 5 years on this though.. LIke I said I can pay it all off right now, but I need my credit to do its thing. I am asking what is the right path to get my credit in the right direction? Pay it like it is scheduled or Put $10-12K down to kill some of that interest but still take 3 years to pay it. I will still be making the same payments but shorter time.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Grandpa

I don't know, friend. That sounds okay to me.

I don't have any experience with Dent Guard, but many of us have Resistall and can testify that it works.

Remembering some things you've said about yourself in other threads, I know there's more than your FICO score to look at, and honestly, I think that at this stage of your economic recovery, you did fine.

:-)

So, please, stop fretting!
Old 04-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by krava
I am asking what is the right path to get my credit in the right direction? Pay it like it is scheduled or Put $10-12K down to kill some of that interest but still take 3 years to pay it.
After a while, and you know you're moving in the right direction with no surprises out of left field, then think about refinancing.

I wouldn't worry about it right away. Three or four months, even six months, won't kill you, and by then maybe you'll even get a better rate on the used car.

Just one dumb old man's advice, and stop worrying and overthinking.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
The deal is done. My advice would be to make timely payments, re-evaluate the situation in a year, and then decide what you want to do at that time (refinance, pay a little more each month, apply a large lump sum towards the principle balance, or you may even decide to pay off the loan in full). For now just enjoy your car and don't stress.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
krava,

I can't say I have ever walked 10 feet in your credit shoes, but I have to think that going from a 0 to 700+ in that short of a time is nothing short of walking on water. From another older dude, if you continue to make all of your credit payments on time or early, your score will rise all the more. Being self employed too I wonder if you don't need a better CPA to address your taxes because for the level of income you noted the taxes would NOT be 40%. If you have legitimate deductions your tax bill could be near zero if done correctly. I'm in the highest tax bracket and hate every minute of it only because of how my tax payments will be utterly wasted by those who redistribute it (Dr. Bob don't worry I remember what you said about these discussions), but being self employed has its advantages from a tax perspective so I would consult a better accountant, not from H&R Block if that is what you are using (just guessing).

Personally when I buy my cars I chose to finance it if the rate is right. My MDX is at .09% and the RLX is at 1.9%. Neither of those rates were advertised on the Acura site and when I approached the open market at the local big and small regional banks for who wanted my business, they all got in line and it became a bidding war (each one lower than the next). I had to sign for each of them a condition that I would not pay it off early before 1 year, but that was fine because I had no intention to do it. I think I can make more than 1.9% in the markets annually so mathematically it works. Personal cash flow is a non-issue so I can easily afford just about anything short of a $10k per month cost (which I would never do regardless).

Keep doing the right things financially and enjoy your new car. You have a great one so take care of it and it will be with you for a very long time. With regular maintenance you should pass 150,000 miles with little more than regular repairs.
neuronbob (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 05:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton

My car is Seacoast leather, and has seen 12K+ miles of hard use already, and no indigo transfer or anything else has stuck to it...so far. :-)
What is Resistall?
Old 04-26-2015, 05:39 PM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
I just woke up and got some rest so I am going to redo this.

I have been debating for weeks about getting a car or not getting a car. I have been going back from a GS350 to the Acura RLX. The car I have is 10 years old and has 180,000 miles on it and the car has an engine design problem that has it building carbon up every so often and it cost $6,000 at lexus to get it done, so that is the reason I was considering getting a car. I want to use the lexus I have as a "beater" car instead of racking miles up on the new one.

Every car I have looked at gets sold out from under me. I had a 13 GS with 5K miles sold in 2 days and a RLX with 14K sell right when I was trying to go up there with money to get it. I saw this ad on auto trader and it was for a 14 RLX Advanced with 6,380 miles on it for $38,900. A long story short I called the guy up and offered him $36,000 and he said the lowest he could go would be $36,500 so we agreed on it. This was in autotrader and said Private Seller. I tried to get my bank to finace me but they turned me down (even with a 711 score that used to be 750 before running credit around other places). He said that he knew someone that could help get me financed. So that guy contacted me and told me to fill out a credit app from BMW of Mobile. I filled out the app and he told me he had to wheel and deal but he got me down to 5.6%. Before he financed me, I told him I got approved for 5.9% twice and if I couldn't get that or below I don't want the car. So at this point in time we have a price agreed upon and a finance percent that I am ok with.

[ If you don't know the whole story. I haven't had credit in 15 years. I was a 0 when I got checked 8 months ago and I have been doing things to get the score up. I got it up to 750 and I thought a credit score was the only thing they look at. I started off with 2 $250 secure loans, then I got a CC from Kohls, then I got a real CC from the bank. Then after those secure loans were done I got two more $250's. But I got nothing of significance. I didn't know what I know now. My IRS returns only show 10K or so ( Being self employed is hard you pay 40% or so taxes no matter what you make over like 20K ) So anyway I don't have proof of income and I have short term credit history ]

I rent a car for $199, it was a Chevy Cruze. I didn't go to bed because I was a bit excited and I left at 4am. I drove and got to a bank where I got the cashier check, the only bank open on Saturday was in New Orleans. I got there at 10am got the check and then headed off for mobile. I got there and they took 30 minutes before getting to me and then we started to do the paper work. I did the paper work and saw the price as $38800 on one of the forms and I asked about it and he said something about taxes and not to worry about it and that it was just something he had to put on paper so they wouldnt' get him into trouble. Then he presented me with this. He told me that to get my rate approved he had to do a 2% buyback on the loan. He got me approved for 7.6% and he would do a 2% buyback but I had to buy 2 items so he could. He said one item only cost $8. (I guess that was $8 a month he was referring to. Not Just $8). He told me about the items and I didn't want them but knew that if I didn't get them I would haven't the percent I needed. One of the items is Resist All NG2. He didn't tell me a cost at all. The product sounds good because I have that problem with my lexus now and have had it for years. The leather has changed from tan to black and also vinyl parts of the car have been heavily damaged. According to this product if I had this protection, it would be covered. The other product was DentGuard so if anyone hits my car then I get it done for free. I ended up with a 7 year policy for one and 5 year for the other. I also told the guy I wanted to put atleast 15K down (I could have bought the whole thing cash). So I could get my credit rating up and put me in position to get another car at a good rate and also house etc. This is how things fit together:

Annual Percent Rate = 5.6% Finance Charge $5133.16 Amount Financed $27,673. Total of Payments $32806 Total Price of Sale $47,806

72 payments at $455.64

Itemization of amount Financed

Cash price (including $3336.24 Sales Tax)
Cash = $15,000
Unpaid balance $24836,64

Other Charges
#0 BMW of Mobile Doc Fee $499
#1 Dent Guard $1204.00
#2 Caltex Resistal $1134.00
Total other charges $2837.00
Amount Total Financed $27673.64

So that is the full break down of what I paid. My question is should I immediately pay this loan down so I don't get hit with such a high finance charge? He said I need to pay on it for alteast 3 years to get my credit rating up and anything shorter then that wouldn't be any good. But my question is, is there such thing as a Dealer buyback? Making the loan 2% lower buy making me add that extra stuff? I think what he did was he told the Loan people he would pay 2% of the loan in one lump sum so I could get the rate that I wanted or he lied to add the extra items in there? He didn't tell me of any of these items until I got there. I wouldn't have gotten the car if I would have known about all this upfront. He also said that I needed to test drive the car, which I never did. Also the weather got really bad there and turned almost completely dark in the middle of the day. Is there a way to call the people I got the Loan from and ask them if they financed me at 5.6 or it was indeed 7.6% and the loan person lied to me to get me to pay that extra 2%. This is what I am faced with, I was basically Cornered, I didn't have a ride back 3 states away and was sort of forced into this deal. That is how I feel and I am depressed over the whole experience. I thought I had a great Deal and now I just got a So So Normal Deal if you think about it. I bought a RLX 2014 advanced with 6K miles on it for $38,800 instead of the $36,500 but I ended up with those 2 packages. I did end up with .3% under a finance charge that I thought I would be paying though. I just need to know if I should pay more of this down so they don't get as much interest or just let it do its thing for awhile and pay that interest. I hope this offers more info. I am in a rush right now have to meet up with someone.
I tried to follow but I'm having a bit of a tough time. I sold cars for a bit so if you want to chat shoot me a text, PM me for my phone number. I'll need to see the copies of the purchase order and I can try and help solve some questions for you, and give you some advice on where to move on from here. Fwiw I just got 1.99% on 4 year loan on an 8 year old car. My credit union absolutely kicks ass.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I haven't had credit in 15 years. I was a 0 when I got checked 8 months ago and I have been doing things to get the score up. I got it up to 750 and I thought a credit score was the only thing they look at... Being self employed...So anyway I don't have proof of income and I have short term credit history
Lenders look at more than just the raw score. History, previous high credit (largest amount you've borrowed), employment history are all factors these days. Everyone will comment on their situations but please remember that things are VERY different post 2009. Also pre-owned rates are different than new car rates by the "captive" finance arms. I think you did fine, in fact, unless you're a homeowner, I'm surprised you got approved.
neuronbob (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
And there you have it from our resident expert. If Colin says it's OK, then it is.

Enjoy the car, krava, it'll treat you well.

And get some more sleep!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Racer

Thanks for the comments, It is a deal I can live with though. I will be posting pictures of the car either tomorrow or Tuesday. I ran out of bug cleaner and need to get some. I also have to drive it around again tomorrow to see if I can get an extended warranty here, or I have to take it 200 miles to little rock. I was told I get it $100 over cost. I will offer $150 over cost to the dealer here so I don't have to pay for gas or the time. If they turn it down, then I am going there. I also need to get a car cover, the windows tinted and I am not sure about a bug protector. Anyone recommend the 3M bug protector/rock chip thing for the front? The car I was looking at had it, this one doesn't. Where is the best place to get that 3M protector from if you don't know how to put it on?
Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
krava, i think you got a great deal ... interest rate is a bit high, but you can always refinance later. Just to compare with my recent purchase: RLX Krell $35,988 with 10,056 miles, not COP. ... For 3K more you got advanced package, less miles, and some car care perks ... it's time to enjoy the car. What state are you in? Austin Telco Federal Credit Union has 1.59% refi option, pay just $23 title change fee.

btw, you bought it private? why was the guy selling it so quick?
Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Racer

The guy said that his wife said the car was too large and didn't want to drive it and since she didn't drive it he wanted to get rid of it and get a bmw. I am in Louisiana.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
The guy said that his wife said the car was too large and didn't want to drive it and since she didn't drive it he wanted to get rid of it and get a bmw. I am in Louisiana.
Funny, my wife said the same thing about the RLX ... she has only sat in the passenger's seat and she has to put the seat at a very high setting just to look over the dash ... she's 5'2".
Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by woropallo
What is Resistall?
Resistall is a trademark of a company called Cal-Tex.

It's a couple of different products put together into a package that dealers provide to customers interested in this kind of thing. It's a paint sealant and protectant on the exterior of the car, and it's a sealant and protectant for the leather on the interior of the car.

There's a guarantee involved, monitored and enforced by the dealership that sold it, and in the event of a failure like a stain on the seat that won't very easily wipe off, or visible industrial fallout that damages the paint, you have redress through the warranty at the dealer.

You can point to all kinds of testimony on the Web, at all kinds of sites, that it works and works well.

However, having said that....

There is also no doubt that Cal-Tex's Resistall is an extra generator of profit for somebody at the dealership, usually the finance officer who sits you down and asks you all these questions about do you want this or that, all the while knowing that Honda Finance has already said yes, and to give you 0.9%.

:-)

Left to my own devices, maybe I wouldn't have got it.

However, it was just a part of a package deal for my last two cars (both RLX's), as a kind of value added way to sweeten the deal, and the finance officer took personal responsibility for looking after it and has even gone out of the way to ask about it when he's seen me in my little dealership.

So I'm okay with it.

I don't want to pretend that it is not an extra profit generator for dealerships, or that there aren't a hell of lot of people saying it is a waste of money.

I got no extra protectants for my two Hondas before, although it was offered. 2006 Accord 6-6 HFP Coupe, and a 2010 Acura TL 6-6 SH-AWD. Both very high mileage when I got rid of them, and neither of them had a problem with stains on the interior (but interiors were Ebony), or stains on the exterior (but exteriors were grey or silver).

My Sport Hybrid is Bellanova White Pearl with a Seacoast interior. So...what the hell.

I'm not the world's biggest cleaner and polisher, so anything helps.
woropallo (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jpadilla
Funny, my wife said the same thing about the RLX ... she has only sat in the passenger's seat and she has to put the seat at a very high setting just to look over the dash ... she's 5'2".

My wife is 5' and says she will never drive the RLX because of the front end is to long for her to see over it. Personally, I am ok with her not driving the car, she no where near as OCD as I am with the car. To her a car is just a tool to get from point A to B, that why I brought her a Prius V, for the cost of that car who cares whether she take care of it or not. However, she does love the RLX because of the interior, she can sit lotus style in the passenger seat and we can transport our grown up kids, or friends, in the back seat and they feel comfortable.

Last edited by woropallo; 04-27-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
My seacoast leather has been redyed once and is starting to show transfer again. I clean the leather every two weeks with Lexol (cleaner and conditioner). My protection package is by Zyxlon (both interior and exterior).
Old 04-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
in my humble opinion, you got raped. but it is what it is and learn from it. more important, just move forward and enjoy the car.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
in my humble opinion, you got raped. but it is what it is and learn from it. more important, just move forward and enjoy the car.

Everyone will have a differing opinion on this and I tend to disagree with yours. I think he got value for the additional items thrown into the deal (if you saw his Lexus in a different thread), you'd understand - along with the lower interest rate.

His purchase price overall I think was reasonable, especially considering the vehicle also comes with the OEM rear trunk spoiler, side body moulding (if you like that), rear mudflaps and a remote starter - all accessories the original owner paid for that he didn't.

All in all, I think he did A-OK.
krava (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Racer

I had no idea you had to pay extra for all those other items? I thought they were included in the advanced package?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Racer

I use this stuff called Leatherique which is $80 or $90 for the kit. I found out about this stuff from Lexus.
Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

I think it is a lot better then lexol. I have that also
Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Racer

2014 Acura RLX Advance Pkg Sedan Options - 2014 Acura RLX Advance Package Packages - Motor Trend Magazine

from there I added up I think I got $1280 in extra things there. I am not sure about illuminated door sills I have to check. The person that had the car in the first place is a millionaire so he probably got the best.

Last edited by krava; 04-29-2015 at 09:54 PM.