Outdoorlife still reading/learning

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Outdoorlife still reading/learning

Quick question, noticed in the owners manual the oil is called for 0w-20 that seems odd, would 5w-20 not be a bit better for longer life. Also synthetic or standard. I have never ran synthetic in any vehicle I've owned. What kind? Special filter? Have put 411,000 on a Honda civic with plain caster oil and cheap orange fram filter........take that to the bank......
Old 02-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Semi-synthetic with 10,00 mile intervals. A heavier oil would be better for longevity, but it negatively affects the CAFE numbers. Walmart sells Mobil 1 0-20 full syn for Hondas. OEM filters are less expensive than Fram.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:08 AM
Advanced

Thank you sir, will oem filter state if for synthetic or conventional or they one in the same?
Old 02-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I use full synthetic oil and change it when I get to 40-50% on the MID. I know I can wait to do it at longer periods, but it just makes me more comfortable to do it sooner. It is typically around 5,500-6,000 mile intervals. What the manual says is what I have it filled with. I hope that helps. Welcome to the RLX family! Many enjoyable and safe miles ahead for you and your family. Don't forget to sign in on the "Owner Sign In" link.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I use full synthetic oil and change it when I get to 40-50% on the MID.

I knew you had too much money.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton

I knew you had too much money.
I roll quarters and clip coupons.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Smile

I use full synthetic oil and change it when I get to 40-50% on the MID. I know I can wait to do it at longer periods, but it just makes me more comfortable to do it sooner. It is typically around 5,500-6,000 mile intervals. What the manual says is what I have it filled with. I hope that helps. Welcome to the RLX family! Many enjoyable and safe miles ahead for you and your family. Don't forget to sign in on the "Owner Sign In" link.
Thanks for the stock tip....I will buy for oil stocks to profit from your maintenance regime. Keep the helpful tips coming....
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Ha ha you guys have some fun, enjoying this. Would I do just as well to use the Honda/Acura oil filter.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I don't know if over thinking or over investing in routine maintenance is worth analysis paralysis.

The MID will alert you when the car is approaching service time. It computes the drive style / conditions, mileage, etc., to determine when it is best to change the oil. Along with that it bundles typically scheduled items to avoid multiple service calls. The manual and MyAcura.com videos explain this in detail.

Anything more than what is recommended by Honda may give you piece of mind, but only you can determine if that is worth additional investment and less convenience. Think about it, what is Honda known for? Engines. This engine is tried and true and I have yet to read of an owner having issues who did not stray from the recommended service.

You have already stated you feel the RLX is more than capable for your driving style. Why then do you feel you need to service above and beyond what Honda recommends?

Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
and, the Waddington effect
The following 2 users liked this post by getakey:
hondamore (02-14-2016), TampaRLX-SH (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Thanks for the stock tip....I will buy for oil stocks to profit from your maintenance regime. Keep the helpful tips coming....
Buy low and sell high. Don't listen to Cramer. Oil will likely not trade above $50 per barrel anytime in the near future so get used to the current gas prices as they are likely to stay (+/-) $.75. Lesson is over for today.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Buy low and sell high. Don't listen to Cramer. Oil will likely not trade above $50 per barrel anytime in the near future so get used to the current gas prices as they are likely to stay (+/-) $.75. Lesson is over for today.

I hope you are wrong - I am in the O&G business. Also, keep in mind that gas prices do not come down as quickly as oil prices, and, go up quickly as oil price escalates.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Anything more than what is recommended by Honda may give you piece of mind, but only you can determine if that is worth additional investment and less convenience. Think about it, what is Honda known for? Engines. This engine is tried and true and I have yet to read of an owner having issues who did not stray from the recommended service.
Couldn't agree more. If there is one thing that has been 100% spot on with my RLX...it's been the engine. Everything I expect from Honda engineering. Rock solid performance and reliability. Comes on every time, operates every time and performs every time, consistent and without hesitation.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 PM
Advanced

Hey holografique, sorry took so long to get back with you. We are on the west side, Douglas/Carroll. Have got a lot of valuable info off this site, checked every thing I could as well as call the dealer Acura carland to check records. Seems everything was up to date......So hoping for the best. I have read several of your posts and seems you have had a time. Just didn't have the funds to go with a 2016, and the price was just right for such a nice ride. Can't help but wonder though why someone trades one in, but I guess some folks like doing that.
The following users liked this post:
holografique (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Russia and Saudi Arabia have an agreement to try to limit oil exports. It's an effort to get oil prices back up to something that Russia can stomach, and it could very well be in exchange for Russian changes in direction in Syria.

The Royal Saudi Air Force has moved quite a few aircraft into Turkey, and there are war games going on south of Syria, composed of regional Sunni Arab armies.

It also sounds like there are Saudi SF (basically the equivalent of a UK re-enforced infantry brigade) in Turkey. Nobody's talking about this in US media, but it certainly looks like it from the background chatter.

All of this made Moscow agree to speak with Riyadh, and it led to a tacit agreement about oil prices. If Russia can get oil prices back up, it will help their economy to the point that Putin will not need to keep focusing the Russian media, Russian oligarch and people, outside Russia.

They might be able to go back to being happy and talk about themselves instead of Syria.

The Saudis can make money on every barrel of oil all the way down to 23.00/barrel. Nobody else can do that.

Their problem has been that the Saudi cradle-to-grave society requires them to pump a hell of a lot of oil at 23.00/barrel to feed everybody and fund everything. It's a fairly open secret that there will be a revolution when the Saudis can no longer make life easy for everybody who's a natural born, Arab Saudi citizen.

The price/barrel has plummeted for more than one reason.

Part of the reason of course is that Canadian and American oil can be extracted economically now. The technology has improved. Oil that used to be stuck in the sand or stuck between hard shale can now be extracted. So we're producing more oil in North America now, and we need to import less.

They're trying to export to India and China to make up for that, but even at these low prices the Chinese have basically filled their strategic reserves and would have to build more storage to take in more.

The United Kingdom continues to be able to pull Brent crude out, too, years after everybody thought was going to dry up.

And all this happening at the culmination of a decade of intensive deployment of more fuel efficient technologies so that we don't need as much carbon based fuel.

Now....

That was the first reason.

The second reason that oil prices are so low is that the Saudis are deliberately producing very cheap oil to keep their strategic enemy Iran out of the market.

Because of how Iran is coming on, because of the kind of technology they're stuck with at the moment, Iran needs for oil to be at 35.00/barrel for them to be in the black...and Saudi is in the black more than 10.00/barrel less than that.

Iran is producing oil to keep people employed and to develop their industry, but they can't keep running in the red forever. This was the Saudi gamble, that the Iranian state would get in budgetary difficulty well ahead of the Saudi state.

But nobody was counting on Tsar Vladimir blinking first.

And of course everybody could smell MI-6 and CIA support for all the communicating that was going on that caused Moscow and Riyadh to start talking.

This might be good news overall if Russia can see that it might get enough money coming in to back down a little bit in Syria, before the King things he can't wait anymore, and sends Sunni Arabs into Syria, and before we get into this awful situation where you're pitting Russian pilots against Saudi and Turkish pilots, whether deliberate or accidental.
The following 6 users liked this post by George Knighton:
2011TL (02-17-2016), hondamore (02-16-2016), Malibu Flyer (02-16-2016), pgeorg (02-16-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (02-16-2016), sooththetruth (02-16-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

GK, I would imagine we could talk for hours and it would never be boring. Thank you!