Next RLX to debut with new Interior Design?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Next RLX to debut with new Interior Design?

This link will broadcast the live feed tomorrow. I would hope it will introduce the new interior design language to be introduced in the next Acura RLX / flagship?

I assume it is 3pm Eastern time?
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
George Knighton (11-15-2016), Guitaryojedi (11-15-2016), hondamore (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The 16th is Wednesday. So Wednesday at 3:00 PM Eastern.
The following users liked this post:
TampaRLX-SH (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by hondamore
The 16th is Wednesday. So Wednesday at 3:00 PM Eastern.
teh CL (11-14-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Watched part of the presentation. OK, so it's a Precision Cockpit with a trackpad. Not original, but it appears the idea is to avoid the eternal search for buttons.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Honda in-dash ergonomics used to be the best.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

meh

Kinda let down. Aside from an improved infotainment UI, what is so 'cool'? Leather dash? Real wood? NO WAY! And the touchpad is just so groundbreaking.

Try using that touchpad as the car jiggles around. You wind up tapping what you do not intend. At least a knob you can grab on to while operating. This is what I have experienced in Lexus' touchpad, and Audi's (which still had the knob for redundancy).

As soon as I heard Marek's name, my expectations dropped. A grown adult man with a nearly bald head mohawk who greets a presentation with 'cool'.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I understand the need to update the interior to keep current with new technology and appeal to younger buyers, I just wonder if doing so in some models, the RLX for example, might alienate the "older" core buyers who prefer the simplicity of pushing a labeled button over scrolling through menus to find that "button". Obviously this concept is looking ahead to a very different driving experience than we enjoy today, an experience which increasingly removes the driver from driving. It also looks ahead to a world where interaction with a trackpad or touchscreen will dominate most of our lives. The pace at which this concept is implemented is the big question for me.

Definitely agree with TampaRLX on Marek's stubble Mohawk - screams denial to me.

Last edited by hondamore; 11-16-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justnspace
Honda in-dash ergonomics used to be the best.
We need to dig Mr. Honda up from his grave, where he is surely spinning, so he can smack some sense into his company.

Either that, or hire Jony Ive to do the human interface for the car.

That said, I am not completely opposed to the use of a trackpad in an Acura, as long as the process is kept as simple as using my iPhone.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Mankind's evolution will be devoid of a voicebox. We will only communicate by devices where the content is relayed by a tap,mouse or swipe.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Anyone has a link to re-watch this?
Old 11-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^The link supplied by TampaRLX still works for me - just jump forward to the 21 minute mark.
RL09 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 05:08 PM

ohhh thank you!!
Old 11-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I understand the need to update the interior to keep current with new technology and appeal to younger buyers, I just wonder if doing so in some models, the RLX for example, might alienate the "older" core buyers who prefer the simplicity of pushing a labeled button over scrolling through menus to find that "button". Obviously this concept is looking ahead to a very different driving experience than we enjoy today, an experience which increasingly removes the driver from driving. It also looks ahead to a world where interaction with a trackpad or touchscreen will dominate most of our lives. The pace at which this concept is implemented is the big question for me.

Definitely agree with TampaRLX on Marek's stubble Mohawk - screams denial to me.
X3 on the mohawk and bald head. I mentioned this on here a few months back...what good could possibly come from this clown.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Glad they kept the knob.

I drove a car with a touchscreen and its horrible. Maybe the ergonomics of this pad here are different, but i'd rather try it to know.

It's not clear like that. I think once they make the car, its better to evaluate.

And autonomous cars need to be protested and kept only for necessities: handicapped people, etc. , special services. This is crazy, not sure how fun - or safe for that matter - driving will be around computers.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Glad it is Android based not Alpine...
Old 11-16-2016, 07:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by RDX10
...what good could possibly come from this clown.
This....

hondamore (11-16-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 12:49 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I found something hopeful in the announcement but maybe I am just a glass half full kind of guy.

First, I am encouraged that Acura/Honda has taken full control of the infotainment system and user interface. To me it means they are taking steps to up their game in one of the weakest area found in our recent RLXs. Whether or not their efforts will be successful is still unknown. While I am still from Missouri, improving on this aspect of the interior isn't a high bar given the current poor implementation. Anything will probably be better than what we have today. The touch screen seems well researched but hard to tell until we really can touch the future product. My wife has a touch pad in her Audi and it isn't particularly useful. I do think that the current system has way too many buttons and the current user interface is overly complicated and distracting to use. Once again improving what we currently have is easy given how bad it is today.

The addition of real wood is a plus to me but not revolutionary. The new displays do seem like they are a significant step up.

i don't like the Android operating system. I find the Apple software much better but it isn't open source so I understand why Acura has gone to it.

To me this annoucement is evidence that Acura knows it has a problem with the interior electronics etc. Admitting they have a problem is the first step in turning things around.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
This....

:barf: I would have fired that sonic wannabe the second I seen this thing. Like fuuuuuu Acura wake up!
TampaRLX-SH (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 05:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
This....

MY EYES! MY EYES! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! *hurl*. Don't remind us!
*Bob runs to garage to look at NSX to soothe his burning eyes*
TampaRLX-SH (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 06:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Not bad

I like it so far but of course I have to see it in production & not concept. I like that they stuck with the "Japanese Water Fall" center console as opposed to going to the "German Low & Wide Style" as Lexus seems to be doing. Altho they may move slowly, I will Acura credit for working on things that get a lot of complaints: making RLX larger, cars less noisy, less buttons on the dash, more than 5 gears ...

I was contemplating getting an MDX hybrid but I think I will wait for the next generation of cars, especially if they vastly improve the info system.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/16/acuras-precision-cockpit-fuses-ai-and-android-in-your-auto/

Acura's Precision Cockpit fuses AI and Android in your auto

The concept design hints at Acura's in-car future.

Digital dials are great and all, but why not turn things up a notch? That's exactly what Acura is doing with its Precision Cockpit, unveiled at the LA Auto Show today. More than just an in-car infotainment system, the concept includes cabin elements borrowed from the NSX (such as the seats and the steering wheel), which show us just how future Acura motors will look and feel inside, along with how we'll interact with them. Acura's calling it a "choreographed in-car experience" (of course) and it appears that experience includes some clever technology.

The centerpiece of the cockpit, for gadget fans, are the two 12.3-inch display panels. 1 squarely in your line of view where your dials would go, and the other located right above the central stack. The line-of-sight display is where you'll find your virtual dials of course, but there's so much more going on.1 of the most impressive features is the built-in 3D engine, that serves up images of adjacent cars, pedestrians and cyclists, even those obscured from view claims Acura, in real time. But why not just look out the window? Well the Precision Cockpit leverages a slew of onboard sensors and artificial intelligence to point out the projected path or paths of other road users, so you can get a heads up on if that cyclist coming from your right is about to cross your path. There's not a lot of information on how accurate it is, or how it's figuring it out, but if there's a chance of it improving the safety of everyone, we're all for it.

The central display is where you'll find your more regular collection of infotainment options, similar to the panels you might find in other high end cars, such as the Mercedes S-Class (S65 etc.). That doesn't mean there's nothing new going on here, but Acura was most keen to talk about how you interact with it. This is where the "precision" in Precision Cockpit comes in.

In the central stack, right where you might expect to find a physical remote or a jog dial like you get in most premium vehicles, you'll find a curved touchpad -- a bit like on a laptop. The curved design gives your digits some form of "center" without looking, and the actual touchpad is mapped pixel to pixel with the central display. And, as everything has to have a fancy name, Acura is calling this "absolute positioning." But in short, it just means top right on the touchpad is top right on the screen. Which is mostly what you'd hope for anyway?

It's interesting to see a company plan ahead, not just for how it's in-car interface, but also how it will interact with the other emerging technologies. Acura's AcuraWatch suite of safety systems is already in many cars (70,000 according to the company), so it's not hard to imagine how the Precision Cockpit's use of artificial intelligence will bring a whole new layer to what's possible. There are also hints at integrating autonomous, and semi-autonomous features with the user controls. But for now, we're mostly left to do just that, as the Precision Cockpit isn't likely to land in a car any time soon, with the company hedging it's bets on a delivery date as "Starting in the next few years."
The following 5 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (11-17-2016), pgeorg (11-17-2016), Rocket_man (11-19-2016), TampaRLX-SH (11-17-2016), victorber (11-23-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
TSX69, like you, I am interested in the MDX AWD hybrid and it seems nobody knows when it will be available. I almost wish Honda/Acura would stop the practice of "vapor ware" where they disclose a coming new product and then wait an eternity to deliver to the marketplace.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
best I can find on MDX Hybrid is Spring 2017
Old 11-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Looking at the pictures provided by TSX69, I have a few comments:

- I would hope that non-reflective glass for the screens is used in any production version of this cockpit. The instrument display is a display and not a mirror.
- The reason the current cockpit has a cowl over the instrument package and nav screen are to prevent the screen from being washed out by the sun. I would hope that Acura doesn't get so carried away in looking "cool" that they completely ignore the function of the screens.
- Genuine wood interiors that don't have THICK layers of Polyurethane covering them feel great, but look like crap in a few years. Once again, I hope Acura doesn't get so caught up in the real wood concept that the car needs to be completely refinished every two years.
- Gone is the hope that Acura would realize that a button on the steering wheel to put the car in sport mode/snow mode etc. is a good idea.
- Looking at the first picture, it sure looks like parts of the center screen are blocked by the dash - the bottom left icon for example. A cool shape shouldn't prevent the driver from seeing ALL of the screen.

Call me a grumpy old fart, but I'd rather take once second to push a button to turn on the rear window defroster than take 10 seconds to navigate through three menus with a touchpad to perform the same function. I understand that this concept is just that, a working concept, and the production version will be very different, but until they have an interface that reads our thoughts, buttons will still be necessary and the most efficient way to work many of the controls in an automobile.

Just my two cents.
The following 6 users liked this post by hondamore:
fsmith (11-18-2016), pgeorg (11-17-2016), RL09 (11-17-2016), snoozabelle (11-20-2016), victorber (11-23-2016), wstr75 (11-17-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-18-2016, 02:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Looking at the pictures provided by TSX69, I have a few comments:

- I would hope that non-reflective glass for the screens is used in any production version of this cockpit. The instrument display is a display and not a mirror.
- The reason the current cockpit has a cowl over the instrument package and nav screen are to prevent the screen from being washed out by the sun. I would hope that Acura doesn't get so carried away in looking "cool" that they completely ignore the function of the screens.
- Genuine wood interiors that don't have THICK layers of Polyurethane covering them feel great, but look like crap in a few years. Once again, I hope Acura doesn't get so caught up in the real wood concept that the car needs to be completely refinished every two years.
- Gone is the hope that Acura would realize that a button on the steering wheel to put the car in sport mode/snow mode etc. is a good idea.
- Looking at the first picture, it sure looks like parts of the center screen are blocked by the dash - the bottom left icon for example. A cool shape shouldn't prevent the driver from seeing ALL of the screen.

Call me a grumpy old fart, but I'd rather take once second to push a button to turn on the rear window defroster than take 10 seconds to navigate through three menus with a touchpad to perform the same function. I understand that this concept is just that, a working concept, and the production version will be very different, but until they have an interface that reads our thoughts, buttons will still be necessary and the most efficient way to work many of the controls in an automobile.

Just my two cents.
Open pore wood is the latest and greatest theme with most manufactures right now...knowing Acura and their 5 years behind mantra. Expect it. But I never had a car with open poor wood (though many with glossy lacquered wood) so interesting that you mention it looking like shit. Is it because it absorbs moisture from the air or just by extension of not being protected?
Old 11-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

this is the "dashboard" in an i3. I've never seen them washed out by the sun.
The wood is real and not lacquered or covered

2016-11-18_08-20-04 by Jerry, on Flickr
The following 2 users liked this post by getakey:
hondamore (11-18-2016), pgeorg (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Porous wood on a dash makes more sense than on an area where the driver's hand will rest absorbing oil and dirt. Call me old fashioned, but I really don't like the interior or the exterior of the BMW i3 - although it appears that Mr. Marek does.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

wow - just got a pop-up ad on a different web site stating that a Chrysler model is now available with real wood - coincidence?
fsmith (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I salute the idea of improving the interface, but I hope they don't go the German route of "stick an ipad on top of the dash" as the concept appears to show.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:14 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I salute the idea of improving the interface, but I hope they don't go the German route of "stick an ipad on top of the dash" as the concept appears to show.
Not a fan of that style either, it looks like an afterthought / aftermarket tack on. My biggest reservation with Audi is that billboard on top of an elegant dash.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

We've discussed the concept of "obviously new" before. That is, in automobile design, it is often necessary to make bold, even unattractive changes to a car's design so that it stands out as obviously being the latest and newest model. Some, or even most, buyers of new cars enjoy the fact that everyone knows they bought a new car and the associated social standing that it brings. If a car has a bold new look, it only enhances the likelihood that others will recognize the "newness" of the purchase and lavish praise and even jealousy on the purchaser.

The Acura Beak or Shield grill design was such a bold change that made it obvious to all that you were driving the latest, newest Acura. Regardless of the perceived attractiveness of the Beak, it served the purpose of defining a new Acura. The beak is now gone and the latest grill design has assumed that function although less obviously so because it is not as Bold a change.

It now seems that having an iPad glued to the top of the dash is the styling element that defines a car as the newest and latest.

Just my two cents.
fsmith (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Smile

I like the dashboard, interior and exterior styling of my "bland" RLX Sport-Hybrid. Let's remember that this is supposed to be a driver's macine, not a pinball machine on wheels.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator

I like the concept. If it's easy to use, I could roll with it.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:58 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I think I buy into the Precision Cockpit idea and why it is the way it is. I can see the changes they have made in basic operating procedures and I understand them.

It also answers a few questions. Like why we haven't seen more HUD after the KC2, and why they asked so many questions about our iPhones and iPads.

I do not think they did a good job selling it, however.

Lights and heavy music don't make up for Ikeda. Maybe he was having a bad day, but you should look and act excited, maybe, if you say, "I couldn't be more excited." :-)

It was also hard to take David seriously. I realize he is basically an engineering artist, but unless they intend to sell ONLY to millennials, he should probably look more serious.

I get the feeling John and David do not get along.

Anyway...I understand the ideas behind the Precision Cockpit. I could get behind it easily.

Some things worry me. "Predicted Path'" I hope, evinces a generational leap with speed of processing and heuristic analysis.

Otherwise, the car could get the driver into Dutch before the driver can react.

Basically, looks and sounds good.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by fsmith
I like the dashboard, interior and exterior styling of my "bland" RLX Sport-Hybrid. Let's remember that this is supposed to be a driver's macine, not a pinball machine on wheels.
It is going to be a challenge balancing the need for performance and connection, and the need to safe automation that keeps us alert, safe and feeling good.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I think the next two decades of potential buyers moving into the demographic that can afford and want a step up from the base tier brands (Honda, Toyota, etc) will come from a generation that grew up enjoying playing video games. They gravitate towards and appreciate engaging in experiences augmented by well designed technology. And this is not a small group by any means. http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/Ess...Facts-2016.pdf I think Acura is being smart in trying to prepare themselves for the opportunity ahead.

Being one myself from that generation, I love the core ideas behind the new Precision Concept. I think physical aspects (dash design) could be toned down some, but the new software UI looks incredible. Clean, refined, simple and effective. I love it. I hope production ready versions will at least maintain the same UI look-n-feel, if anything else.
neuronbob (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^ nice to see you back on the board.
holografique (11-20-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Welcome back, brother!
holografique (11-20-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 10:28 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Everyone has to keep in mind that this is just a concept... a development environment...and one focused on drivers aids, not switch gear for A/C controls etc... not a prototype of a cars interior. So in 2-3 years when these ideas make it into a production car the implementation may be very different. Just like any concept car shown, they are more ideas than production ready. So I'm not too worked up over the styling, it is the ideas that we should take away. So many complain that Acura does not keep up. Well here they are trying to not only keep up, but look to the future and still there are complaints. 2-3 years out these next generation drivers aids will be more common and expected in higher end cars, maybe even lower end cars. It will be hard to get away from that like it or not. I like a lot of the ideas shown in this concept. I think some drivers aids are welcome. A few months ago I was rear-ended at a stop light. A driver behind me was coming up a litle fast, I was watching in my rearview mirror as he was looking down trying to find his cell phone, I had no where to go, he ran right into me. Not a lot of damage, but needed a new bumper cover. If he had a self-braking car it could have been avoided. I'm not a fan of self-driving cars, but I see some drivers aid add to safety and I can onlt imagine more distracted drivers in the future. One of the features they are working on seems to be some way to tell what cars around you are in self-driving mode. That might be nice to know. A car that can see a pedestrian at night on the side of the road and warn me about it... that is nice too. Just the other night some guy in a black tee shirt and jeans crosses the road in front of me, nearly invisible. Sure that is one way to weed out the gene-pool, but I'd rather not run him over. If a car can tell me he is there before I can see him, I'm all for it. Now I'd rather see some of this on a HUD instead of a guage cluster. But while I might not be a fan of the styling of this concept, I like the ideas they represent.

Maybe they start showing up piecemeal in the next gen RLX.
hondamore (11-19-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 03:04 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
I think we are all in favor of passive safety enhancements, like auto-breaking. My concern is that, until we have real, level 5 self-driving vehicles, we can ill afford the increased rate of accidents caused by distracted driving. Driver assistance is not the same as self-driving. If the pinball machine wizardry in the cockpit directs attention to the act of driving, that's great. If it gives license to play, that is not so great. I am no Luddite, but I have to ask whether we are designing just to appeal to buyers, or we are designing to appeal to drivers (or, better, both). And the devil in any cockpit concept is of course in the details. How, exactly, will that touch-pad work? I also think a little conservatism is good with a 4,000 pound chunk of steel. Let's go all out high-tech in the infotainment space, but let's be sure we are focused on safety in the driving until we can really see that level 5 autonomy.

Hmm. Sounds a little preachy. Sorry.
The following 3 users liked this post by fsmith:
hondamore (11-20-2016), pgeorg (11-20-2016), Rocket_man (11-20-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by fsmith
like auto-breaking.
If your car auto breaks, at least you have a good warranty.

My car auto broke a while back and they kept it for two weeks and gave me a TLX to drive.

Quick Reply: Next RLX to debut with new Interior Design?