Locking with Motor Running

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking with Motor Running

I like in the Northeast and it has been cold up here. I would like to leave the motor running to keep the car warm and be able to lock the doors with the key fob to pick up a pizza or use an atm. I noticed my 2014 Paws will not let me lock the doors while the car is running. Does anyone know if this is possible??? I dont want to leave the car running with the doors open.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I can't find anything specifically dealing with that situation in the manual, but one guess would be that you might have to lock the car using the key fob and not the button on the door handle???? If that doesn't work, you may have to use the actual physical key inserted into the door lock to lock up when the engine is running??

My guess is that Acura prefer you shut off the engine when leaving the car and that is why they make it difficult to lock up with the car running. There are jurisdictions around that forbid leaving a car running unattended, mainly for environmental reasons.

Maybe you have to get better service from the pizza joint so you get your pizza before the car gets cold.

Good luck
Old 02-17-2017, 12:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I was curious and so I did a search of Acurazine. Apparently, the doors can NOT be locked with the fob or door handle button when the engine is running BUT can be locked using the physical key inserted into the door handle.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Page 139 of my 2014 RLX manual states: "You can lock or unlock doors using the remote transmitter or keyless access system only when the power mode is in VEHICLE OFF."

So it appears what you are requesting is not possible with the remote. I don't see any prohibition on doing this with the physical key stored in your remote, so try that.

PS Welcome to Acurazine!
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
hondamore (02-17-2017), pgeorg (02-17-2017), wilspainar (02-21-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
The factory remote start would allow locked doors with the engine running.

One other way is to roll down the window, get out, reach in press the lock button, then the window up button. Let us know if this works.
The following users liked this post:
ChUcK DoGG (07-12-2019)
Old 02-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
^^^^
What do you do with your arm when the window hits it on the way up?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
It's a CO carbon monoxide and engine protection thing. When you remote start ... the engine shuts off after 10 minutes. This is to prevent CO buildup inside an enclosure (garage, etc); and prevent the engine from overheating without enough cooling air flow over the radiator.

If you manually lock the doors with engine running (with key), the engine will run until you return ... or in the event you inadvertently forget to come back or die from CO poisoning .... until the engine runs out of gas, or until the car over-heats. I would guess that in Acura's view, this risk of this outweighs the benefit of keeping the car running, for instance so that I could manually run the engine (and AC) with the doors locked while away from the car for a few minutes in hot Phoenix summer when I run into the dry-cleaner's while my dog is in the car. Or as you mention, to grab a pizza in the cold. I guess that makes sense.