View Poll Results: Are You Interested In This Type Of Products?
Very Interested.
53.85%
Interested.
15.38%
Not Interested.
30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Information: 2013+ Acura RLX NavTool Video Interface

Old 10-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Information: 2013+ Acura RLX NavTool Video Interface

Hi

Hi guys we want to introduce special NavTool Interfaces for Acura RLX.

2013+ Acura RLX Plug & Play Video Interface with HDMI for smartphone mirroring.
  • Limitless HDMI Input for smartphone mirroring, use your favorite navigation apps, Waze app, netflix, youtube, iOS video all works no limit.
  • 3.5mm Audio Output.
  • 4 Composite Video Inputs. You can add front camera that will turn on automatically when vehicle shifted out of reverse up to 10mph. Side Cameras turn on automatically with turn signals.
  • Connect factory DVD to display on front navigation Screen.
  • Control NavTool Via Factory Navigation Buttons
  • USB Charger for smartphone.
  • USB Updatable.
  • Made In USA.
  • 100% Automotive Grade.
  • 100% Plug & Play

If you have any question about information above please post it in this thread, PM or email us.

Link for Email in the signature below.

You can also use live chat feature on NavTool.com we have sales representatives available 9AM-11:59PM Monday-Friday and 12PM-6PM Saturday and Sunday

Thank You
NavTool Acurazine Team
The following 2 users liked this post by navtool.com:
TSX69 (10-05-2015), victorber (11-09-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Hopefully you saw my request in the TLX section suggesting this for the RLX. Thanks for the interest in our little part of AZ. I think that many pre-2016 RLX owners will be interested.

*raises hand in interest*
Old 10-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hopefully you saw my request in the TLX section suggesting this for the RLX. Thanks for the interest in our little part of AZ. I think that many pre-2016 RLX owners will be interested.

*raises hand in interest*
Hi

Thank You
Old 10-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I think I would be very interested, but I am not quite sure how this would work.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I think I would be very interested, but I am not quite sure how this would work.
Hi

you would connect to your nav system, and whn you want smartphone mirrored on your screen you activate navtool, all factory features remain intact

Thank You
Old 10-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

What front cameras do you recommend for this system?
Old 10-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Banned

What front cameras do you recommend for this system?
Hi

for front camera you can use any camera that doesn't have reverse image

i believe alpine has one

Thank You
Old 10-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Banned

Hi

2014+ RLX Group Buy

CLICK HERE FOR GROUP BUY

Thank You
Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Grandpa

I just want to be sure I understand what this thing is and what it does.

This image from the Web site seems to indicate that the interface works on the lower (touch) screen.

Is that right?

Does it mirror the iOS screen, or does it show only certain applications?

The touch screen activates the applications on the iPhone?

Once an application is activated, does it appear on the lower 7" touch screen or the upper 8" non-touch screen?
Attached Thumbnails Information: 2013+ Acura RLX NavTool Video Interface-image.jpeg  
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Banned

I just want to be sure I understand what this thing is and what it does.

This image from the Web site seems to indicate that the interface works on the lower (touch) screen.

Is that right?

Does it mirror the iOS screen, or does it show only certain applications?

The touch screen activates the applications on the iPhone?

Once an application is activated, does it appear on the lower 7" touch screen or the upper 8" non-touch screen?
hi this image isn't not correct, the interface works on upper 8 inch screen
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Grandpa

I think that perhaps I misunderstood.

I thought this was a substitute for Apple CarPlay but it seems to be mostly for video.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Banned

I think that perhaps I misunderstood.

I thought this was a substitute for Apple CarPlay but it seems to be mostly for video.
Hi

apple carplay is very limited, ,ostly you got few radio apps and apple maps that no one wants to use, you will never have google maps or anything else.

you tak our interface and mirror google maps, Waze or any other map application of your choice.

Thank You

P.S. majority of people hate carplay
Old 10-05-2015, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by navtool.com
Hi

apple carplay is very limited, ,ostly you got few radio apps and apple maps that no one wants to use, you will never have google maps or anything else.

you tak our interface and mirror google maps, Waze or any other map application of your choice.

Thank You

A demo or actual screenshots of an iOS device mirrored on the upper 8-inch screen would help us better understand the actual execution of how this works.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator

If you go to Navtool's YouTube page, you'll see it in action with the last gen Acura navi system. The idea is to mirror what's on your smartphone. You also have the option to activate up to four cameras with this one.

My plan is to use it to add front and side cameras for parking assist, ala Acurawatch. Won't be exactly the same, but similar. Being able to mirror Google Maps and Waze while I'm in traffic is icing on the cake.

There's one device for the RLX that does mirror your smartphone already, but wirelessly. However, iOS 9 has broken it because of how Apple changed AirPlay's implementation. This wired approach seems better.

A demo would be helpful. If I lived near these guys is let them demo in my car.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Grandpa

apple carplay is very limited, ,ostly you got few radio apps and apple maps that no one wants to use
[....]

If you polled us, I think you'd find that CarPlay is really all we want, and the majority of us would think it both odd and dangerous that we'd be able to play a video of any kind on the 8" screen.

However, I understand that your ability to play a video back is unique and that you'd want to talk about it.

I'll try to find the video Bob talked about that shows the mirror of the iOS system on the screen.

I think that's what most of us are going to want, the ability to use Apple Maps instead of Acura NAV, view iMessages on the 8" screen, contacts, etc.

Video and Safari browsing...I never even thought of that! :-)
The following users liked this post:
holografique (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

George:

The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
George Knighton (10-06-2015), pgeorg (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Grandpa

Thank you for showing us that. Saves time. :-)

Bob, is that what you're interested in getting?

I'm kind of on the line.

If you have to interface with your iPhone like that, does it really do what you want?

CarPlay just gives you the icons and you interface with your Infotainment system. As long as the iPhone is turned on and paired, you aren't looking at your iPhone.

I'm not quite sure this is the solution I'm after.

I'm tempted to put up a picture of my current solution, which is an iKross mounted iPad.

Faster than the interface in the video, and of course it behaves as an iPod when asked.

Once you have it set up, the iPad interfaces via the iPod connection, and your iPHone's out of the way but still paired with Bluetooth for the use of Siri and phone calls.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Banned

stay away from this soltion in the video

you would never want this solution in your vehicle, what we are making is nothing that is available in the world at this time.

Naviks product picture quality is horrible, text in unreadable, you may ask why?

1. you are connecting to a device with reverse engineered Apple Airplay,now that signal is down scaled to composite video, a technology that was created in 1960, after that it connected to their generic box with a mailing label sticker on top.
2. video lagging due to reversed engineer Airplay signal.
3. video and audio appear out of sync
4. not an automotive grade
5. you have limitations, many apps like Netflix, iOS download video, YouTube will not work.
6. they use non OEM connectors and you get video to flicker on and off.
7. HD video wires are exposed.

Major issue, exposed digital video signal line without shielding

NavTool Solution

1. we provide full HD image to your Acura HD screen, you never what to downscale that quality.
2. all connectors are 100% OEM
3. limitless smartphone mirroring, no restrictions all apps work
4. audio and video is in sync.
5. 100% automotive grade.
6. Made in USA

there are many product out there that might work, we provide real solution for smartphone mirroring, made in USA by real automotive engineers.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't know. I think I'm with George on this one.

1. I would prefer the Carplay approach where by I DON'T have to touch or handle my phone while driving. It is fully integrated into the cars controls/console/touch-screen.

2. If I were to go this route, I would prefer the Airplay approach so that you don't have to have a wired connection dangling from the phone to operate.

I will say that having the Google Maps app in landscape mode is very tempting. But it seems more hassle than it's ultimately worth. Otherwise I just don't see the value in any of the other functions of my iPhone being displayed on the screen. Web-browsing, checking email, etc is just flat-out dangerous. And any music playback I want to do is already well integrated with either Bluetooth mode, iPod mode, or Pandora playback (I usually use Pandora).

Ultimately I think I'm passing on this.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by holografique
I don't know. I think I'm with George on this one.

1. I would prefer the Carplay approach where by I DON'T have to touch or handle my phone while driving. It is fully integrated into the cars controls/console/touch-screen.

2. If I were to go this route, I would prefer the Airplay approach so that you don't have to have a wired connection dangling from the phone to operate.

I will say that having the Google Maps app in landscape mode is very tempting. But it seems more hassle than it's ultimately worth. Otherwise I just don't see the value in any of the other functions of my iPhone being displayed on the screen. Web-browsing, checking email, etc is just flat-out dangerous. And any music playback I want to do is already well integrated with either Bluetooth mode, iPod mode, or Pandora playback (I usually use Pandora).

Ultimately I think I'm passing on this.
Hi

Just to make it all little more clear, carplay is great but super limited.

if you want airplay only way is to use apple TV in the car, otherwise you have to hardwire it via HDMI

Some reasons why you would want iphone on your screen,
1. better navigation
2. Waze - will save you ton on money and time.
3. music video clips for passenger entertainment, not movies movies are interactive, video clips are not.
this are some top things that our customers are doing on daily basis with our interfaces.

Thank You
Old 10-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Google Maps + traffic >>>>>>>>>>>>Acura Navi with traffic lines you can barely see.

Plus I can add front and side cameras. That's the functionality I'm looking forward to most. This basically gives my car similar functionality to the 2016.

Definitely in and the group buy price is really good. I have a DVD and navi bypass on my CTS-V that cost me more, for less functionality, as a comparison.

Question for Navtool: does the kit come with a Lighnting connector for the newer iPhones, or do we have to use an adapter? Also, does the device charge the phone?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Banned

Google Maps + traffic >>>>>>>>>>>>Acura Navi with traffic lines you can barely see.

Plus I can add front and side cameras. That's the functionality I'm looking forward to most. This basically gives my car similar functionality to the 2016.

Definitely in and the group buy price is really good. I have a DVD and navi bypass on my CTS-V that cost me more, for less functionality, as a comparison.

Question for Navtool: does the kit come with a Lighnting connector for the newer iPhones, or do we have to use an adapter? Also, does the device charge the phone?
hi. lighting connector must be purchased form apple, we do have usb port for charging
Old 10-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hi

Just to make it all little more clear, carplay is great but super limited.

if you want airplay only way is to use apple TV in the car, otherwise you have to hardwire it via HDMI

Some reasons why you would want iphone on your screen,
1. better navigation
2. Waze - will save you ton on money and time.
3. music video clips for passenger entertainment, not movies movies are interactive, video clips are not.
this are some top things that our customers are doing on daily basis with our interfaces.

Thank You
1. Agreed, but not worth the upgrade for me since I'm not planning on keeping my current 2014 RLX. If I get another RLX it will probably be a 2017 model that will have already have the additonal 360-degree cameras I would want (and maybe fixed traffic lines? lol)

2. I dont use Waze - too much information overload. Even with filtering, the UI is kludgy to me. Google Maps does all that I need and the UI is clean, slick and easy to get around.

3. I dont typically have passengers with me and when I do, they typically aren't there to watch movies. They are usually engaged in conversation with me or enjoying some tunes with me.

4. When I referred to "Airplay" I was referring to the Naviks product. Understanding the lag and non-HD resolution, I would still prefer a "wireless" approach to mirroring the display. "If" I were to ever want a display mirror option for my iPhone, I would only want/need it for enhanced Nav functionality and that's it.

Your product looks great. Just not for me.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Banned

1. Agreed, but not worth the upgrade for me since I'm not planning on keeping my current 2014 RLX. If I get another RLX it will probably be a 2017 model that will have already have the additonal 360-degree cameras I would want (and maybe fixed traffic lines? lol)

2. I dont use Waze - too much information overload. Even with filtering, the UI is kludgy to me. Google Maps does all that I need and the UI is clean, slick and easy to get around.

3. I dont typically have passengers with me and when I do, they typically aren't there to watch movies. They are usually engaged in conversation with me or enjoying some tunes with me.

4. When I referred to "Airplay" I was referring to the Naviks product. Understanding the lag and non-HD resolution, I would still prefer a "wireless" approach to mirroring the display. "If" I were to ever want a display mirror option for my iPhone, I would only want/need it for enhanced Nav functionality and that's it.

Your product looks great. Just not for me.

Good luck!
lag is least of the problems, lost internet is a huge
Old 10-31-2015, 07:51 PM
Banned

Hi

Click here to preorder

Thank You
Old 11-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Grandpa

Here is their installation video for the RDX. This might give you some idea of the difficulty of installation and the risks involved, and the end of it gives you a sense of the operation of it.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Grandpa

Same thing, with North American 4G TL.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Grandpa

I think what I'd mostly want it for is the use of Apple Maps on the upper screen in place of Acura Maps. The traffic patterns would be closer to real time, and the lines marking traffic would be a little more visible.

What's worrying me is that I don't see much sign of interoperability; that is to say, the ability to control the iPhone or iPad through the car's controls.

I haven't made my final decision, but I'm leaning toward just continuing to occasionally use my iKross mount in the cup holder, which adapts to an iPhone or an iPad without having to change out the holder.

This means that although you're using the car's 8" screen, you would still have to mount the iPhone or iPad somewhere that it is visible, so that you could control the interface with your Apple device.

If I have to mount an iPhone or iPad to do that, then I am not sure I see enough of a reason to take the installation risk. It's not eliminating the presence of the Apple device.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll be the guinea pig. I have some experience disassembling Honda interiors without (much ) destroying them.

I'm holding off on installing my JDM Legend lighted door sills until this is released, so I only have to remove the interior once. You have to take apart an astonishing amount of the interior to put those door sills in, largely to obtain access to the appropriate fuses for power. Looks difficult, but all I need is an afternoon and a heated garage for the job.

Thinking about this further, I'd love the OPTION of Apple CarPlay with this device.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
^ Indeed, I was looking at the DIY for this and was very surprised at the amount of work involved. I added the lighted sills to the Accord I had.. was quite simple in comparison
Old 11-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
wha??? no android support? I like my Galaxy Edge S6
Old 11-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

It appears that this device is platform-agnostic.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

hi, we support both iphone and android devices
Old 11-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

This means that although you're using the car's 8" screen, you would still have to mount the iPhone or iPad somewhere that it is visible, so that you could control the interface with your Apple device.

If I have to mount an iPhone or iPad to do that, then I am not sure I see enough of a reason to take the installation risk. It's not eliminating the presence of the Apple device.
This is exactly why this device/approach never made sense to me from the start. I still have to have my phone reachable and have to operate it in order for any of this to work. Yes, I get that you can set a route with something like Waze or Google Maps, and put the phone down and just let it do its thing, but its often that you interact with your navigation apps even on a smartphone.

I just plan to wait for Apple CarPlay. Assuming we'll see it in future Acura's and assuming I stick with Acura. With it already available in certain Hondas, my hope is we'll see it in Acura vehicles soon enough (sooo backwards, but I digress).
Old 11-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Banned

This is exactly why this device/approach never made sense to me from the start. I still have to have my phone reachable and have to operate it in order for any of this to work. Yes, I get that you can set a route with something like Waze or Google Maps, and put the phone down and just let it do its thing, but its often that you interact with your navigation apps even on a smartphone.

I just plan to wait for Apple CarPlay. Assuming we'll see it in future Acura's and assuming I stick with Acura. With it already available in certain Hondas, my hope is we'll see it in Acura vehicles soon enough (sooo backwards, but I digress).
Hi

Apple carplay will always be limited to just their navigation app, the whole idea of carplay was to make operation of SMS and calls via SIRI, if you disable siri you can't even activate carplay

With our solution you get to use any app you want
Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Banned

please don't forget to checkout our pre-order page

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsor...-acura-937085/

Last edited by navtool.com; 11-16-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

C'mon guys, two more to make this group buy happen..... I'd like to get around the 2014 RLX navi bugs with this device since Acura is not going to help 2014 RLX owners.....