Deals on a RLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:16 PM
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
There is could be a case where car was delivered to GA dealership but purchased by someone in CA due to limited availability. New owner started or completed paperwork that was submitted to DMV but never picked up the car. That's my theory, I deal a lot with cars and seen a lot of weird cases. In other words I would consider this car; if visually everything checked like bumpers / quarters / fenders etc for potential re-paint. If everything checks out good then offer your price, CA dealers accept them after weeks or month of negotiations just stay with your offer, period. I helped many people to buy brand new vehicles with an average $6-9K below MSRP, in RLX low sales position I would go with even lower offer. Key is patience

Last edited by shurik74; 07-21-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shurik74
There is could be a case where car was delivered to GA dealership but purchased by someone in CA due to limited availability. New owner started or completed paperwork that was submitted to DMV but never picked up the car. That's my theory, I deal a lot with cars and seen a lot of weird cases. In other words I would consider this car; if visually everything checked like bumpers / quarters / fenders etc for potential re-paint. If everything checks out good then offer your price, CA dealers accept them after weeks or month of negotiations just stay with your offer, period. I helped many people to buy brand new vehicles with an average $6-9K below MSRP, in RLX low sales position I would go with even lower offer. Key is patience
Well I did contact the dealer in CA who had the car and they told me that they can not reduce the price since they use software that sets the price. They can not reduce the price, they do not negotiate is what the sales person told me. I do not live in CA, I live in AZ so I would have to have the car transported. The sales person sent me pics of the car that he took after he got of the phone with me and car looks like its brand new, from the pics there is zero damage and I can't find any flaws in the interior and exterior from the pics he sent me. The best I can do I assume is that I can ask for a extended warranty to be thrown in.

But what I plan on doing is this, since I live in phoenix and we only have 3 acura dealers and only one dealer Peoria Acura has RLX's in stock we are going to back there just before the end of the month and start negotiating with them and see if we can get a reasonable deal. If we can't we will just take the car in CA. I assume we should probably start our offer around 45K and then move up.

Also my parents are going to be trading in their 03 TL-TypeS that has 169,000 miles on it, it has no mechanical issues, the body is in excellent condition and the interior looks quite good. Plus they are going to have the car detailed just before taking car to the dealer too so that its nice and clean.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:31 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by comptr
If we can't we will just take the car in CA.
For whatever one dumb old man's opinion is worth, and this is just personal opinion, I would stay away from the California car you have been describing. The excuses and reasons they are giving you do not make sense to me, and I have been dealing with American Honda and their dealers since 1988.

I don't want to cast aspersions on individual dealers, but to me it does not make sense.

Also my parents are going to be trading in their 03 TL-TypeS that has 169,000 miles on it, it has no mechanical issues, the body is in excellent condition and the interior looks quite good. Plus they are going to have the car detailed just before taking car to the dealer too so that its nice and clean.
Since it's going to be a while, you should go ahead and try to sell that car instead of trading it.

No dealer is going to give you much money for a car with that many miles on it...but you and I both know that Honda was hitting on all cylinders with the 2003 TL Type S.

It has a Sterling reputation among private owners, and everybody loved that car. Everybody knows it is solid.

You'll get thousands more for it selling it outright, if it is in the condition you describe. People love those cars and won't mind the mileage if it is in original, pristine condition as you describe.

:-)

Whatever you do, very best of luck.
The following 4 users liked this post by George Knighton:
comptr (07-22-2016), hondamore (07-22-2016), pgeorg (07-22-2016), wstr75 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by George Knighton
For whatever one dumb old man's opinion is worth, and this is just personal opinion, I would stay away from the California car you have been describing. The excuses and reasons they are giving you do not make sense to me, and I have been dealing with American Honda and their dealers since 1988.

I don't want to cast aspersions on individual dealers, but to me it does not make sense.

Since it's going to be a while, you should go ahead and try to sell that car instead of trading it.

No dealer is going to give you much money for a car with that many miles on it...but you and I both know that Honda was hitting on all cylinders with the 2003 TL Type S.

It has a Sterling reputation among private owners, and everybody loved that car. Everybody knows it is solid.

You'll get thousands more for it selling it outright, if it is in the condition you describe. People love those cars and won't mind the mileage if it is in original, pristine condition as you describe.

:-)

Whatever you do, very best of luck.
O ok we were planning on keeping the CA car as a last choice if we can't get a deal from the local dealer then only we use the CA dealer. Ya I assume the dealer won't give much but we are hoping we can negotiate the trade in too, since in the past we have had dealers pay a bit more then what the bluebook value is on the trade in to close a sale.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:36 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
The 2003 TL was a nice car but their transmission high rate of failure is well known.

The dealer will end up selling it to a wholesaler. Why not just take it to CarMax?

They will wholesale it too, but they are super easy to deal and at least you will have a basis point on the car's actual cash value.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CadiGTi
The 2003 TL was a nice car but their transmission high rate of failure is well known.

The dealer will end up selling it to a wholesaler. Why not just take it to CarMax?

They will wholesale it too, but they are super easy to deal and at least you will have a basis point on the car's actual cash value.
I will have them do that and the 03 TL is a Type-S with Navi. Also the car has had 2 transmissions replaced under the warranty and since then there has been Zero issues with the transmission. They keep the car well maintained, it was only serviced at their local acura dealer.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
CarMax is a good idea if there is one in your locale. The 2G TL 5AT tranny disaster is well known in these parts. As many of us know: in those cars, it's not a matter of whether it's going to break, it's when. You guys must have really liked it to put up with two tranny replacements.

You should have no such issues with the PAWS RLX, the drivetrain is stout.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
CarMax is a good idea if there is one in your locale. The 2G TL 5AT tranny disaster is well known in these parts. As many of us know: in those cars, it's not a matter of whether it's going to break, it's when. You guys must have really liked it to put up with two tranny replacements.

You should have no such issues with the PAWS RLX, the drivetrain is stout.
Ya they really liked their TL, it took them till now even to buy a new car since they love their TL.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 PM
Instructor

So the dealer we went to sent us a email saying they have a RLX with a advance package. It was a loner car with around 6,000 miles on it. Here is a link: Cars for Sale: Used 2016 Acura RLX in w/ Advance Package, Peoria AZ: 85382 Details - Sedan - Autotrader Should we consider this car ?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, pending inspection. You can probably negotiate a better deal than $52k, though.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Yes, pending inspection. You can probably negotiate a better deal than $52k, though.
So we should be probably offer in the low 40's then since we found a similar car with less mies for way less then this car.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Also would we be better off to wait to go back to the dealer till the end of August so that we could get a better deal ?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I would agree. For $52K I would want a NEW 2016 Advance. Even with the low mileage on the CPO, I would offer in upper $40Ks and settle for anything below $50K. I think $42K is too agressive for a low mileage, current year model with extended CPO warranty. I also do not think end of July or end of August will be a significant difference in pricing. But it does appear prices on new RLXs are creeping up slightly....likely due to depleting inventory and selection.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 07-27-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by comptr
Also would we be better off to wait to go back to the dealer till the end of August so that we could get a better deal ?
It's the end of July now. Why wait unless you guys are not ready?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
I would agree. For $52K I would want a NEW 2016 Advance. Even with the low mileage on the CPO, I would offer in upper $40Ks and settle for anything below $50K. I think $42K is too agressive for a low mileage, current year model with extended CPO warranty. I also do not think end of July or end of August will be a significant difference in pricing. But it does appear prices on new RLXs are creeping up slightly....likely due to depleting inventory and selection.
O Ok well we won't offer that low. Will we hear more about when the 2017s will appear in august ? we will try to head out there this month then and see what they are willing to do on price.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Instructor

It's the end of July now. Why wait unless you guys are not ready?
Well I asked my parents since its their car and they just asked me to help them so, they were planning on waiting till august but they told me if they could get a deal now they would move it up, but they told me they would feel conformable if they waited till next month.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:49 PM
Instructor

I also found this car: Cars for Sale: Used 2016 Acura RLX in w/ Advance Package, Ocala FL: 34471 Details - Sedan - Autotrader is this car a good deal ?
Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Prices on new 16's will go down when the 17's come out and dealers really want to move old inventory and Acura gives them incentives to do so. Acura won't give them incentives on used cars so what you see now is what you get and it is up to you to negotiate your best price.

One place to start is with Manheim wholesale pricing because is what the dealer most likely paid for the car. Add reconditioning and CPO certification and you have a ballpark for the lowest amount the dealer could take without losing money. Your target price is as close as possible to that price but expect that the dealer really needs to make about $1500-$2000 on a used car to make it worthwhile for them. These aren't a high demand, limited production car, so the dealer will feel happy with making less of a profit but they do need to make money on the salr.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:26 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

According to AutoTrader, there are 92 NEW 2016 RLX Advance in all of the USA. The 2016 RLX PAWS models were built from March 2015 until November 2015. Acura then 'rations' them out to dealers throughout the model year. I doubt there are any NEW PAWS RLXs that have not been delivered to dealerships at this point, as dealers are swapping cars to meet customer requests. For the last 6 months the PAWS RLX has sold over 100 units / month. It may be very difficult to find NEW 2016 models by the time they start building 2017 models (I believe starts end of November).
Old 07-28-2016, 11:45 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Does anyone have an educated guess when we will hear about the 2017's? I am most interested in whether it will be a MMC for the '17s and whether or not it will include the Sport Hybrid. Inquiring minds what to know.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:52 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
I have nothing official, but my hunch is that the 2017 RLX will be unchanged for its fourth (third for SH) model year. The 2016 RLXs have the same tech stuff as the other newer Acuras, and all that's left is to add the beak-less grille. One would assume that would have been announced in advance, like the MMC MDX. Last, Acura is concentrating its one marketing muscle on the NSX right now.

So, that's more opinion than I should have given. It's time to bring back the MMC thread, I guess?
The following users liked this post:
Malibu Flyer (07-29-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Prices on new 16's will go down when the 17's come out and dealers really want to move old inventory and Acura gives them incentives to do so. Acura won't give them incentives on used cars so what you see now is what you get and it is up to you to negotiate your best price.

One place to start is with Manheim wholesale pricing because is what the dealer most likely paid for the car. Add reconditioning and CPO certification and you have a ballpark for the lowest amount the dealer could take without losing money. Your target price is as close as possible to that price but expect that the dealer really needs to make about $1500-$2000 on a used car to make it worthwhile for them. These aren't a high demand, limited production car, so the dealer will feel happy with making less of a profit but they do need to make money on the salr.
O ok well I will take a look.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Instructor

According to AutoTrader, there are 92 NEW 2016 RLX Advance in all of the USA. The 2016 RLX PAWS models were built from March 2015 until November 2015. Acura then 'rations' them out to dealers throughout the model year. I doubt there are any NEW PAWS RLXs that have not been delivered to dealerships at this point, as dealers are swapping cars to meet customer requests. For the last 6 months the PAWS RLX has sold over 100 units / month. It may be very difficult to find NEW 2016 models by the time they start building 2017 models (I believe starts end of November).
O Ok well in that case when we talk price we will offer a some what higher price them since there are not as many cars, but also try to see if they can pay us more for the trade in.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
I went to my dealer last night bringing my 05 rl in for airbag inflator replacement. They had a 2016 rlx advance in the showroom, not sure if it was a sport hybrid. Really nice car! Battery was dead on it so must be sitting there a while. I believe sticker was 66k. I really prefer picking up this car after a year or two when price drops substantially, but what might might be a reasonable price i can expect to pay for it? Two things determine vamue: rarity and desirability. Its certainly rare, but not desirable at this price point as most i tjink go with audi, bmw or mb. Because of this, id suspect there is a lot of room to discount it.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

If the sticker was $66k, then you saw a Sport Hybrid Advance as the non-hybrid tops out at $60k for Advance trim. Discounts are rare on these cars new because there are so few. Even so, if it's been there long enough for the battery to go flat, maybe the dealer is willing to deal. We've seen discounts of a few (4-5k) grand this year from those who have purchased. Can't hurt to ask.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
pgeorg (08-18-2016), TampaRLX-SH (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

I confirmed, it was a hybrid sport. Im just not willing to pay 60k for an rl and have it lose half its value in three years, thats a big hit. Ill likely wait a year or two to see what i can find, but i fully recognize it may not be easy to find one and a front wheel drive version is out of the question for me.

When i bought my 05 off lease in 08 with 43k miles, i paid 27 including the extended warranty plus cpo. The sticker was 52k. Im looking for something in that neighborhood in terms of oaying 50% off sticker. In the meantime, ive got a great 05 with 114k on the clock to daily drive and it needs nothing as tb service is done, brakes and tires have over half their life left and shocks are a year old and all the other common gremlins have been addressed.

Still, that hybrid is one hell of a car!

Last edited by rlerman; 08-18-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by rlerman
I confirmed, it was a hybrid sport. Im just not willing to pay 60k for an rl and have it lose half its value in three years, thats a big hit. Ill likely wait a year or two to see what i can find, but i fully recognize it may not be easy to find one and a front wheel drive version is out of the question for me.

When i bought my 05 off lease in 08 with 43k miles, i paid 27 including the extended warranty plus cpo. The sticker was 52k. Im looking for something in that neighborhood in terms of oaying 50% off sticker. In the meantime, ive got a great 05 with 114k on the clock to daily drive and it needs nothing as tb service is done, brakes and tires have over half their life left and shocks are a year old and all the other common gremlins have been addressed.

Still, that hybrid is one hell of a car!
Solid, rational thinking. As a whole, this market segment loses the most value in the 1st 2-3 years, then levels off. However a well maintained car in this segment will hold value better @ 7-10 years than a more pedestrian brand / model. Although the initial value loss of the RLX is faster than typical Acura history, it is on par with and in some cases better than much higher branded cars. When I was aiming for an Audi A8, the configuration closest to an RL would have depreciated faster than the RL did or an RLX will. The depreciation of some $150K luxury cars in the 1st 3 years would cover the cost of the RLX SH in whole.

The 2014 CPO SHs are a steal at market pricing. If you want the 2016 improvements you have a longer wait since they skipped MY15. You can always purchase Bob's SH when the lease ends!
pgeorg (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 01:42 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
rlerman - be glad the Sport hybrid had a dead battery 'cause many here never thought we would part with the price of the SH until we had a test drive. I too had a '05 RL. Bought it new and had 120,000 miles over 10 years and still loved the ride when I bought my Sport Hybrid.

I would encourage you to get a test drive in a SH. While it doesn't sound like a new 2016 SH is in your future, after your test drive you may want to look carefully for a CPO 2014 SH. While the first 1-3 depreciation is steep, by keeping the car for as long as you did your RL it may end up as a decent investment. I think because of the uniqueness and rarity of the SH it may well see its value increase by the 10 year mark. I wouldn't say the same thing about the PAWS RLX. More importantly you will have a smile on your face every time you get into the car [at least that is my experience]

Good luck and let us know what happens. The suggestion about getting Neuron's 2014 SH is not a bad one. At least you know it has been very well maintained and treated with great care and respect.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-27-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Sorry Bob....the vultures are already circling.

I think the RLX will follow a similar pattern as the RL did. It may not be a success in initial sales. But used value, along with Honda build quality may make them sought after in the used car market. The RL got dumped on by the new car reviews (after 2005 launch), but kept showing up in Best Used Car lists.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
rlerman - be glad the Sport hybrid had a dead battery 'cause many here never thought we would part with the price of the SH until we had a test drive. I too had a '05 RL. Bought it new and had 120,000 miles over 10 years and still loved the ride when I bought my Sport Hybrid.

I would encourage you to get a test drive in a SH. While it doesn't sound like a new 2016 SH is in your future, after your test drive you may want to look carefully for a CPO 2014 SH. While the first 1-3 depreciation is steep, by keeping the car for as long as you did your RL it may end up as a decent investment. I think because of the uniqueness and rarity of the SH it may well see its value increase by the 10 year mark. I wouldn't say the same thing about the PAWS RLX. More importantly you will have a smile on your face every time you get into the car [at least that is my experience]

Good luck and let us know what happens. The suggestion about getting Neuron's 2014 SH is not a bad one. At least you know it has been very well maintained and treated with great care and respect.
If I could find a 2014 SH for mid-30s with under 40 k miles, it be on it. I have zero doubt I would like the car, and almost certainly better than my 05. I've been slowly looking around as my plan is to think about replacing the 05 in 2018, which would be my 10th year of ownership. I've thought about lesser cars, like the infinity q50 awd hybrid and accord hybrid, but they dont really compare to the RL very well overall and what I saw at the dealer yesterday blew me away and I didn't even drive it. I am in the catbird seat so to speak as I've got a great car right now that I love. Acura needs to make more of these cars.

Last edited by rlerman; 08-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

What is this, NSX Prime? Vultures, indeed! same thing happens every time someone even hints that their car is available.

If I can get an awesome deal off lease, I haven't ruled out the possibility of purchase at lease end. I'd have to get a hell of a deal, though.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by rlerman
If I could find a 2014 SH for mid-30s with under 40 k miles, it be on it. .
Whispering Falls NY 2014SH TECH 18K miles $36K Black/Graystone
Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Acura RLX in Hybrid w/ Technology Package, WAPPINGERS FALLS NY: 12590 Details - Sedan - Autotrader

Murray UT 2014 SH ADVANCE 26K miles $35K Graphite/Graystone (I'm a little partial to this one)
Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Acura RLX in Hybrid w/ Advance Package, Murray UT: 84107 Details - Sedan - Autotrader

Southwest.com 'Wanna Get Away?'

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 08-18-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

RLX Deal Spotting

I have seen a recurring inquiry for deals or availability of the RLX - particularly the SH. We all chime in with what we spot in our local areas (or national searches). I thought why not open a thread to post where good deals are spotted? More than a few members traveled out of state to locate their RLX and others considering the RLX state they would for the right price and mileage.

I just saw this car pop up. I was in the 1st batch delivered in July 2015 along with mine. I also believe this was the car former member woropallo requested / ordered from the dealership listing the car. It is below TRADE value. IMHO a steal.

2016 RLX SH Advance 18K miles $46K

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...016-acura-rlx/

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 08-23-2016 at 08:35 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
2011TL (08-24-2016), Malibu Flyer (08-24-2016), pgeorg (08-24-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

That is, indeed, a major steal. That's a $20k loss of value in one model year, more if the special someone who gives this a home negotiates an even better deal!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^ Maybe we should have a 'group buy' and rescue it? Then we choose who it's next owner is.

On the other hand, there does not seem to be interest...
Old 08-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid w/ Advance Pkg AWD - 7,829 miles - $43,998.

link
TampaRLX-SH (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
^^^ Maybe we should have a 'group buy' and rescue it? Then we choose who it's next owner is.

On the other hand, there does not seem to be interest...
I know I threatened to buy a second one in the past. Maybe I should give this some serious thought now.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I know I threatened to buy a second one in the past. Maybe I should give this some serious thought now.
Would that be a flock of Blackbirds or a squadron?
Old 08-24-2016, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Canadian vehicle Elite/Advance hybrid ACPO - $43,995 CAD:
2014 Acura RLX No Accident/7YR Acura Certifie, $43,995 - Toronto | ACURA Downtown

This dealership now has received 3 2014 RLX SH-AWD. I bought one of them.

Posting for Canadian followers, or someone close to the border who may want to import to the US (Canadian model has heater steering wheel and headlamp washers on the 2014). Keep in mind Acura will not warranty the vehicle in the US though if you import - you'd have to bring it to Canada for non-recall warranty work.

Last edited by bigred123; 08-24-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Bob - I overlooked we had a thread 'Deals on the RLX'. Perhaps merge these two?

Quick Reply: Deals on a RLX