Curious - If you found a brand new 2014 SHAWD Hybrid RLX Tech

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Curious - If you found a brand new 2014 SHAWD Hybrid RLX Tech

sitting on a showroom floor, what should it go for? MSRP was like 60K. Can't believe it has been sitting their for 2 years...
Old 08-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Make them an offer. $48k oughta be enough of an offer to get that off the dealer's floorspace, especially with the 2016s now appearing in the dealership.

It wouldn't have been sitting for two years, though. The 2014 Sport Hybrid was released for sale in October 2014, so it has likely been sitting there for ten months at the most.
The following users liked this post:
Yehaman (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks, went in for a TLX and found it too cramped in the rear. Noticed this car sitting two cars over. I'm very friendly with the dealership (wife has purchased multiple cars over the year) and told them it was more than I was willing to spend. They asked me to make them an offer so I told them it would have to be 45k for me to take it away (again, I figured it had been sitting there for a year or so). They came back at 54k, roughly 10% off and told me their were no incentives to move that car? I left and told them that if they changed their mind they could give me a call. THree days left in their selling month.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Yehaman
Thanks, went in for a TLX and found it too cramped in the rear. Noticed this car sitting two cars over. I'm very friendly with the dealership (wife has purchased multiple cars over the year) and told them it was more than I was willing to spend. They asked me to make them an offer so I told them it would have to be 45k for me to take it away (again, I figured it had been sitting there for a year or so). They came back at 54k, roughly 10% off and told me their were no incentives to move that car? I left and told them that if they changed their mind they could give me a call. THree days left in their selling month.
I paid $54,500 on 12/31/14. I agree with Bob. Offer $48k and stand firm. Tell "best and final".
Yehaman (08-29-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
If you want to leverage a bit more on the 'sitting around' angle, check the build date inside the driver's door. These cars were built out Jan-Feb 2014. Though dealers did not get them until late Sept 2014, they are about seven months older than that.
Yehaman (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Yehaman
If you really want the car, they can do better. I'm not sure where you are, but there's obviously no particular band of enthusiasts in your part of the world to snap it up.

The model year's about to roll over again. It's almost September 2015.

Although they got the car in October 2014, it was probably made some time earlier and the proof will be on the door panel. You can use that date to argue a little bit more about how the infotainment system was changed for the 2016 model year and the one in their Sport Hybrid is going to seem buggy and slow by comparison.

:-)

All kinds of things to try, if you want the car. But I would not try to stand on your 45,000 offer. They can give a little, and you can give a little if you really want it and the car's otherwise to your liking. There's also things that they can do to help like give you more than is logical for your trade-in (they did that in my case), or a reduced price on a 120,000 mile warranty, or accessories we'd all want to get anyway, stuff like that.

You said that the rear seat space is a factor for you. I took four adults on trip form Washington DC to Orlando FL and back again, and we did really very well, nobody complaining about anything to do with the car at all, and lots of praise about the car.

They really are very interesting cars.
Yehaman (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Now.... In my case the dealer went kind of overboard and gave me more for my RLX trade in than was reasonable. They ended up having to dump the car for many thousands less than they gave me.

I wouldn't expect anything that extreme, but there's room to wiggle with all the different factors involved.

The more factors, too, the more complicated and the more difficult to keep track of how you're coming out ahead.

Be careful to keep all these things straight in your head. :-)
Yehaman (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 12:10 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks everyone, I know where I want to be..and if they want to sell the car to me then the ball is in their court. I'm not the type that is going to chase after them, but I'm also not going to pass up a "no brainer" deal.
I am willing to be flexible, and they do have my number if they want to revisit the deal. My guess is my offer is in the back of their minds and if they need to move another unit for any incentives by end of business Monday then they will hopefully reach out to me.
The only other negatives are that we're leaving for vacation (Maine) tomorrow morning and I still haven't driven the darn thing...:-)!! Minor details, LOL.

I appreciate all the feedback and will post if any advancement is made. I'm sure 45k isn't the right number but I'm sure something near that is. Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
^^You read my mind. I was just about to reply that the same offer you made would look a lot more palatable to the dealer at the end of the month or the end of a fiscal quarter when they are looking to add a few sales to the bottom line. If the car is still available September 30th, they may be more receptive to your offer or at least more willing to negotiate something closer to your number.

What worked for me was to approach them a few weeks before a fiscal quarter end and have them open communications with Acura corporate regarding incentives to move previous model year units. Corporate rejected the idea, then two weeks later a day before the quarter end, I got the call that a large cash incentive from Acura just became available and a deal was made.

Good luck, it is a great car.
Yehaman (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
^hondamore where in western Canada are you located? I'm in Calgary and was not aware you can "open communications with corporate" do you know stock levels are like for the sport hybrid?
Old 08-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I'm up in Edmonton.

The Sales manager called Acura Canada while I sat and listened in. At the time there was a $7000 incentive on the PAWS version of the RLX but only $2000 on the Sport Hybrid I coveted. A little back and forth between the sales manager and Acura over the next couple of weeks and they finally caved and increased the incentive to $7000 on the Sport Hybrid the day before the March quarter ended. I ended up getting $13000 off MSRP plus some free accessories and a lease deal when I made my deal on a 2014 Sport Hybrid in late March of this year.

To answer your question, I have no idea of the current inventory/availability of the Sport Hybrid up here - there was one left at a different dealership after I bought mine in March, but I have no idea of the current status - Sorry.

EDIT: I just checked Southview Acura's website here in Edmonton and they list one 2015 Sport Hybrid available. I have no idea what kind of deal they would make on a 2015.

Last edited by hondamore; 08-29-2015 at 02:31 PM.