CR members rank RLX one of the least satisfying cars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I can't get enough of those Audi Ahab ads. That was a stroke of genius!

I'm looking at the RS7 as a post-lease possibility. It's the only Audi other than the R8 I'd be interested in right now. Sad to say, but I can get a better deal on a RS7 lease in some places than on a Sport Hybrid. I'd rather lease a new Sport Hybrid, but if awful lease deals persist, I can't do it.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I can't get enough of those Audi Ahab ads. That was a stroke of genius!

I'm looking at the RS7 as a post-lease possibility. It's the only Audi other than the R8 I'd be interested in right now. Sad to say, but I can get a better deal on a RS7 lease in some places than on a Sport Hybrid. I'd rather lease a new Sport Hybrid, but if awful lease deals persist, I can't do it.
Have you driven the S8? I'd think the 605hp with the sport differential would be right up your alley.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:08 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

"QUAAAAAAAATRO!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvdlY4Ke-Wc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wOLEOjsJtY

Can't do those awesome Audi ads with SH-AWD. It's too bad, SH-AWD is better than Quattro. "SHAWTY?"
Man! Those are kick-ass commercials!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Having test driven the Audi S8 I can attest that it is a ballistic missile, and feels like it was build from a single block of granite. Tech is great, brakes are fabulous, and the overall price is $125,000. It is like a 4 door Lambo that goes in the snow.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Having test driven the Audi S8 I can attest that it is a ballistic missile, and feels like it was build from a single block of granite. Tech is great, brakes are fabulous, and the overall price is $125,000. It is like a 4 door Lambo that goes in the snow.
How much are they paying you, again?

:-)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwboston
Have you driven the S8? I'd think the 605hp with the sport differential would be right up your alley.
I haven't, but I could be persuaded with an attractive lease deal.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
There seems to be a lot of shared love between Acura and Audi. I have once before and will again, propose a merger of the two.

The new brand would become: Acudi "Advancing Precision Crafted Performance Through Technology" with the signature SHQUATTRO (pronounced skwat-tro).

The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (02-01-2017), Malibu Flyer (02-01-2017), pgeorg (02-02-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I haven't, but I could be persuaded with an attractive lease deal.
You might be able to get one on the current S8. The new A8 should arrive here next year, with the updated S8 a year or two later.

I just bought a 2015 A8 (29k miles) to tide me over for a couple of years until that new S8 arrives. Short wheelbase (same as the S8), 4.0T V8, 435hp, every option except night vision. Purchase price (including tax, title, registration) was exactly 50% of MSRP 2 years later.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
How much are they paying you, again?

:-)
Absolute zero.

It is an awesome car, but I can't justify the price/performance/value prop. I would imagine the lease terms are in the $2k per month range with $10k down.
Quite frankly it is freaking nuts to drive, and is crazy fun from every perspective, but the cost/fun factor isn't high enough. When I can get a fully loaded Camaro ZL1 with all the trimmings for less than $70k and can enjoy all kinds of teenage behavior, that is an equation I can justify.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (02-02-2017)
Old 01-28-2023, 06:38 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove everything in the price range.

ILX (2016) is at the very bottom of the list, with 41% saying they'd buy again. RLX is 9th least satisfying with 50% saying they'd buy again. OUCH for Acura, and how far they've fallen. I know I responded to the survey so my data is in there somewhere. Data released on 12/22.

Here's hoping Acura can get its act together for its sedans. To be ranked at the bottom with Fiat/Chrysler has to be humiliating and heads had better be rolling in Torrance.

If you have access, here's the article.
Owner Satisfaction: Cars That Owners Love and Hate - Consumer Reports
I felt that the 2020 RLX was the best of the lot! Excuse me that be the SH-AWD, screw the regular RLX I could see why that 1 would rate so poorly and I agree with that but SH-AWD I found to be the best of the lot bc it’s got a ton of damn Horse Power & it gets pretty good gas mileage! Where Acura screwed the pooch and doomed the RLX it had nothing to do with performance they screwed themselves by having a past generation infotainment system that is straight garbage that alone is what doomed it. Hindsight is obviously 20/20 but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out they should’ve done the right thing and just revamped the infotainment system it was very possibly the dumbest damn business decision of all time! It wouldn’t have cost them that much to do it why they didn’t is a real head scratcher! Luckily I didn’t give a shit about that bc the Krell audio system in it is killer & I could always add apple car play later if I so choose! The thing is people these days don’t seem to really care about what truly important the actually performance of the car so just show them some cool bells & whistles & the vast majority will simply go for that & not think twice about it!
Old 01-29-2023, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Wow, old thread revived, old forum revived for that matter.

Funny going back and reading some of this. Funny and sad how the ILX (a $35k car) turned out to be a much better quality product than a $64k car.

While the current gen TLX is finally a step in the right direction, I had it with the last debacle. We got rid of the ILXs in 2018, bought a used 2007 RDX, and took a break from nice cars for awhile.

This week I get delivery of my brand spankin new 2023 Tesla 3, and have never been more excited. After renting one for a week, I was sold within 5 minutes of driving that car. Finally, a car company that gets it. A car company that is aggressive enough to MOVE FORWARD. A car company that doesn't charge you tens of thousands of dollars for a product with tech that gives you a UX designed like Windows 95 🤮

Good design is not that freakin hard. Getting rid of old stubborn company idealogy is...

Acura and every other car manf has had decades to figure out. Too late. Good riddens Acura, Lexus, Audi, BMW, MB, and the whole lot of them. Tesla is the future.

Oh, and the Tesla 3 suspension? 300% approved 😉

Old 01-29-2023, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Good article! Thank you for sharing.

On many occasions, I have seen Consumer Reports report with a huge bias while overlooking some of the other important aspects, so I always take these types of reports with a grain of salt.
I am a firm believer that the market speaks for itself, and like in anything else car industry is also inevitably there. Judged by retention value and how many returning brand loyalty customers take place in the Acura world, their article seems a little off in my opinion. Each and every person should be doing their own research and making decisions based on that... I do not fully rely on Consumer Reports or JD Power awards or other factors, but would rather take them into consideration, make them part of the equation to some extent.

In my eyes, Toyota/Lexus V6 has somewhat advantage over Honda/Acura 3.5 V6 but only because of the chain vs belt situation... Where Toyota/Lexus is behind is interior design, a little lost of the message they are sending, therefore, in my book Acura takes the cake... Would I purchase another Acura? Absolutely, with MDX and RDX Type S in the works (we all hope) I think the SUV segment will be well covered because we all naturally land in SUV land sooner or later. Would I buy another Acura Sedan, plug-in, or EV? I would not shy away from buying another sedan, whereas on EV it is a different factor to consider. But let's say, if there was a sedan (not TLX Type S), but rather an RLX revival, 3.5 twin turbo of 450+ hp, I would buy it ...

So, with all due respect as applicable to CR, I would not solely rely on them to make a decision on a vehicle... just my humble 2 pennies to share with the community
The following 6 users liked this post by rlx015:
CadiGTi (01-30-2023), deepa1600 (01-29-2023), hondamore (01-29-2023), MarcoTLX (02-03-2023), mrgold35 (01-30-2023), ValdezQ26 (01-29-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:22 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Congrats on the new car! Acura really had some suspensions issues on the original 2014 RLX and 2013 RDX. Very disappointing and hard to understand coming from a company that had state of the art double wishbone suspensions in the 1980s. I have been fortunate enough that all 7 of my Honda products going back to my 1988 Accord LXi have been outstanding. I have put in excess of 750k miles on those 7 Honda/Acuras. 3 of my Acura’s I put well over 150k miles on each of them. The new Civic Type R suspension is receiving universal praise as a high water mark for a FWD vehicle.

Tesla gave me a model S sedan 3 years ago to try out. I put 250 miles on it in 2 days. Very sharp car and very quick. But I was not interested in it. I use my Acura’s as my 30k mile a year business cars. I have V8 stick shift cars as my fun and long distance personal travel cars. The Acura is not the most exciting car but as Buick once said “A luxury car of a most satisfying nature”. I guy at my gym has a brand new Rivian pick up. I see quite a few of them here in metro Washington DC. After a few weeks he grew a bit bored of it. He still has the Rivian but went on BringATrailer and purchased a pristine 1996 Corvette 6 speed as his fun car. Like him, for some of us a V8 and being able to row your own gears is the greatest pleasure we get from a car. Best of all we live in a country where we have the choices and opportunities to enjoy what we like best!

post a pic of the new ride and enjoy!

Originally Posted by holografique

Funny going back and reading some of this. Funny and sad how the ILX (a $35k car) turned out to be a much better quality product than a $64k car.

While the current gen TLX is finally a step in the right direction, I had it with the last debacle. We got rid of the ILXs in 2018, bought a used 2007 RDX, and took a break from nice cars for awhile.

This week I get delivery of my brand spankin new 2023 Tesla 3, and have never been more excited. After renting one for a week, I was sold within 5 minutes of driving that car. Finally, a car company that gets it. A car company that is aggressive enough to MOVE FORWARD. A car company that doesn't charge you tens of thousands of dollars for a product with tech that gives you a UX designed like Windows 95 🤮

Good design is not that freakin hard. Getting rid of old stubborn company idealogy is...

Acura and every other car manf has had decades to figure out. Too late. Good riddens Acura, Lexus, Audi, BMW, MB, and the whole lot of them. Tesla is the future.

The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (02-03-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 01:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow, did I miss this! Congrats on the Model 3. I’m looking at one, myself, as a future daily driver. Meanwhile, still enjoying my 2020 RLX Sport Hybrid.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts

Congratulations on your Tesla - please share your feedback in a few months, I'd love to hear it from you.
Things I have heard about Tesla from many Tesla-owners who live in North Cali area (SF and SJ) is that Tesla when works, is really nice... when some normal very possible things happen, nightmares ensue.
- Apparently all EVs happen to go through tires pretty quick which works against the climate idea, not for it
- Small fender-bender accidents resulted in Insurance companies refusing to cover the losses/repairs, and when insurance agrees to cover repairs, those take months before Tesla can get to them (no good-ol coverage like for ICE engines).

I think first is sort of inevitable, but second feedback is definitely something that will have to improve, as more of EVs hit the road.
For now I am watching the news, but not pulling the plug on EV... even with the hybrid, I have a few reasons why I will not hesitate to go back full ICE vehicle, but for now, RLX-SH is a great pick to hang with