In car dash cam

Old 08-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
In car dash cam

I decided to install a small dash cam as I have been looking for one that was small but with a good wide angle camera lens. I was open to any price range and was surprised that something inexpensive looked to do the job. I am installing it over the weekend so I will share my observations afterwards. Considering I have had so many weird experiences over the years, I figured catching something else on camera might be a good thing in an insurance claim situation, god forbid. Also if I am on a favorite road I can record it. There are some curvy roads that I enjoy driving on and wished I could record them for future viewing. My GoPro is awesome, but I can't mount it on the front windshield inside based on the available mounting hardware.

This is what just arrived: ODRVM Dash Cam Pro HD 1080P Dashboard Camera for Cars, B40 Hidden Dash Camera Recorder 170 Degree Super Wide Angle Stealth Dash Cams for Vehicles

I hope this thread is appropriate for our forum. Just thought I would share something new.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
Where do you plan to install it? Are you going to tap it to rear view mirror? I tried to place higher as possible, so not visible from outside...

Old 08-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shurik74
Where do you plan to install it? Are you going to tap it to rear view mirror? I tried to place higher as possible, so not visible from outside...
My hope is to install it to the left of the rear view mirror high on the glass, but to the right of where I have my radar detector which is already hard wired in place. My hope is that I can run the wire harness across the head liner and down the A-frame on the windshield and taping the wire to the wire harness in that area so as to not interfere with the air bag in any way, then send the wire straight down through the dash to the fuse box. That was the path I used to hard wire the radar detector previously. It was kind of a pain to get into that space by the brake in the floor area. I'm not as flexible and young so my back is not able to take the contortions very long in doing this installation. At least that is my plan.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Good luck....we will be anxiously awaiting results and pics of the install!
Old 08-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

So the installation was much easier than I planned. The unit came with a very long USB cord, so I routed it as planned and then continued on to send the wire across and over the brake/gas peddle area (taping in place with electrical tape), then behind the center console and finally routed to the arm rest area where I just plugged it in to the USB port. The location is as I planned at the top of the glass and it is smaller than I expected. I will test it out tomorrow and see how it performs. So far so good.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Send pictures of the cop admiring the Blackbird before writing you up for speeding.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have earned many but have not needed to stand in front of the judge...... yet....

By the way my last trip I was driving many miles in the 85-90 mph range and still returned more than 30+ mpg for the trip.
fsmith (08-28-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I have earned many but have not needed to stand in front of the judge...... yet....

By the way my last trip I was driving many miles in the 85-90 mph range and still returned more than 30+ mpg for the trip.
We can't have radar detectors in Virginia. It's a separate offense in addition to whatever you've done, and they might walk off with your device as well.

I don't think that the State Police bother with it, but many of the richer counties have patrol vehicles with radar detector-detectors, and anti-laser detectors. It all becomes a big deal, so most of us just don't bother with anti-anything.

On the other hand, the enforcement is usually pretty common sense.

If you're on a country road that's 45 mph, they won't look at you unless you're over 55, and their radar is probably set at 60. In neighborhoods posted at 25, however, the enforcement might very well be stricter and if it's not your neighborhood, just drive 25 and don't worry about it.

Over 80 is reckless, so either don't ever do that, or be prepared. The State Police believe that regular everyday people have no idea of what vehicles do in emergencies at those speeds, and they're right, for the most part.

It's funny, but the more driver education that somebody gets (meaning the race track), the more logical and safe they become on the street, and sometimes it causes people to slow down in some situations. Once you really understand high speed vehicle dynamics, you tend to shy away from situations where there's a long line of cars on the Interstate doing 80, each car on the other one's bumper.
The following 3 users liked this post by George Knighton:
JM2010 SH-AWD (11-07-2017), pgeorg (08-30-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Grandpa

Oh, yeah....

If you have a non-Virginia drivers license and you're speeding through Virginia on the Intestate or primary system, do not drive over 80.

If your state is not reciprocal with Virginia, you are spending the night in the lockup.

Be careful and use common sense.
The following 5 users liked this post by George Knighton:
neuronbob (09-04-2016), pgeorg (08-30-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-30-2016), sooththetruth (09-06-2016), victorber (10-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

GK, there is a highway that pgeorg and I drive on all the time (Interstate 684) in which on a daily basis, three lanes of traffic travel at 75-85 mph going in either direction. At least once every couple of weeks I merge into traffic that is running steady at 80+ mph and it is not unusual to have a run of 5-8 miles or longer where nobody passes each other and we are all traveling as one at that speed or higher. It reminds me of how NASCAR runs in packs at 190-200mph at Daytona or Michigan. When the wrecks happen, they are big.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:07 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
In September of last year my wife and I were visiting northern Alberta, Canada at the northern part of the Rockies in Jasper and Banff. Absolutely Beautiful country. Upon our return trip which we departed at 3AM we encountered two set of eye reflections, (one on each side of the road) and were amazed to see two Full Size Timber Wolves with their heads down Foraging. They must have been a family as they were road smart. My wife yelled for me to stop so she could get a pix, but when your cruising at 65-70 you just can't stop.
After hearing that she wanted to get a pix of the animals I asked if she intended to get out of the car? The interior of the RLX windows cast a large reflection so even lowering the window could provide a nasty situation.
Long story short received an email from Gear Best, a Chinese co that had a dash-cam for $18.00 US and purchased 2 and have been pleased as punch ever since. Installed a 32gb mini card in each one and the run continually.
We will not miss the next one in a million pix again.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Can you post some pics please? (1) of the unit on the windshield, and (2) where you plugged in the unit for charging (plus how you routed it into the armrest). I have something in the cigarette lighter so was hoping I could put something in the arm rest power.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I'd love to see the install, as well.

George, on my many travels through Virginia, my V1 is off and I'm reasonably close to the speed limit. It makes for a longer trip, but I've never gotten a ticket in the Commonwealth.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes I will upload pictures asap. My apologies for my delay as I have been traveling. My handy camera would have caught a nice block of wood that sprang up from a sport utility vehicle in front of me this morning and damaged my hood, but like a dope I did not plug it in after cleaning out the car last night. That is the first step in using any technology. Plug it in moron! I have to go to the body shop and get an estimate as it will need a little TLC now. There was no way to avoid the debris. It does not look like a buff and go. I think it will need paint work. How irritating.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No excuses, bro!
That camera would have been handy to get a plate number so your insurance can chase after the loose wood handlers, too! Sorry to read of your misfortune.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
No excuses, bro!
That camera would have been handy to get a plate number so your insurance can chase after the loose wood handlers, too! Sorry to read of your misfortune.
It is no big deal really. My wife thinks I should not repair it, but I disagree. The wood on the road came from another vehicle and did not fall off the one in front of me. Just an irritating thing. Actually I'm not that angry. I have stone chips that have irritated me for a while on the front section of the hood, so this just gives me an excuse to take care of it. I'm bummed that it happened, but these things occur from time to time. I'm sure the video would have been great to have. I feel stupid for having not plugged it back in. When I take the shots of the hood, I will take the pictures of the camera also.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Yes I will upload pictures asap. My apologies for my delay as I have been traveling. My handy camera would have caught a nice block of wood that sprang up from a sport utility vehicle in front of me this morning and damaged my hood, but like a dope I did not plug it in after cleaning out the car last night. That is the first step in using any technology. Plug it in moron! I have to go to the body shop and get an estimate as it will need a little TLC now. There was no way to avoid the debris. It does not look like a buff and go. I think it will need paint work. How irritating.
Sorry to hear that RLX-Sport Hybrid, the bad luck continues:-(

I know you say it does not bother you, but i know it does.....just from the way you take car of your SH.....

At least it was a small incident this time!
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks pgeorg. I'm not making a big deal of it, well at least I'm trying. If I were not such a perfectionist, most normal people would simply live with it.

And Dr. Bob, yes you are very right. What a dolt I am for not having it plugged in. I will down load a clip tomorrow and see how it reproduces what it records.

Here are the pictures of the minor scratch on the hood, as well as the camera pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzp...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 09-06-2016 at 07:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
bigred123 (09-08-2016), pgeorg (09-06-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the pics....looks quite stealth! Can you take a pic of the inside to see where it was wired in? I believe you said the arm rest so curious how you ran the cable and tucked it in - was it difficult to hide well? Thank you.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Grandpa

Thanks pgeorg. I'm not making a big deal of it, well at least I'm trying. If I were not such a perfectionist, most normal people would simply live with it.

And Dr. Bob, yes you are very right. What a dolt I am for not having it plugged in. I will down load a clip tomorrow and see how it reproduces what it records.

Here are the pictures of the minor scratch on the hood, as well as the camera pictures:

For some time, my car had very bad scratches and scuffs on the driver side mirror.

This was the result of a near head on collision in heavy rain, and I just never bothered repairing it. It was a miracle that the glass didn't shatter, because the impact was hard enough to slap the mirror hard against the car with a loud bang.

When I was dealing with the other things my KC2 was having to go through with the transmission + VCM rocker arms issues, the service manager noticed it, put his hands over it, and just kind of said, "You know, I can fix that."

When I got the car back, the scratches and scuff marks were gone.

I don't know what he used, but I know that it just involved something out of a bottle, a shop rag and some elbow grease.

It's 100%, looks like nothing ever happened.

So...I don't really know for sure why I'm telling you this, but it might be worth looking around and doing a little research for something like what he must've used. You'd just have to do a good polish afterwards, I'm imagining.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

^^
Or they just changed the outside cover (comes already painted) of the mirror, for all the trouble you went through :-)

Number 3-10 in the illustration

Old 09-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by pgeorg
^^
Or they just changed the outside cover (comes already painted) of the mirror, for all the trouble you went through :-)

Number 3-10 in the illustration

(Sigh)

Okay. I'm going outside with a magnifying glass.

(My iPhone camera, really.)
Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Grandpa

There's a hairline crack in the cover that I never noticed before, because of the black scuffing.

So he polished the stuff off of it instead of replacing the cover.

But now I know that hairline crack is there I'm going to be thinking about it. :-(

Saying above that it was 100% was an exaggeration, then. I just never noticed the hairline crack.
pgeorg (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

I am sorry George, its my fault this is bothering you now :-(
Old 09-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Grandpa

I am sorry George, its my fault this is bothering you now :-(
I'll just have to hope that 138 mph airstream doesn't get in there and blow the cover off completely.
pgeorg (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I'll just have to hope that 138 mph airstream doesn't get in there and blow the cover off completely.
Is that the top speed of the SH on the track, George?
neuronbob (09-18-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 07:39 AM
Grandpa

Is that the top speed of the SH on the track, George?
Here is the Wikipedia article on the Fifth Article of the Virginia Bill of Rights, which became the Fifth Amendment to the US Constitution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_...-incrimination
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (09-19-2016), sooththetruth (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Burning Brakes

He he.....I will take that as a definite YES :-)
sooththetruth (09-19-2016)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'd like to consider getting a dash cam for the SH and would love to see pictures of how you installed it at the top of the windshield and managed to run it all the way to the center console to plug in without visible wires. I tried to click the provided links but they don't seem to be working.

I was also wondering - there has been some discussion on the forum recently of power draw on the battery from things like iPods plugged in while the vehicle is not in use. If the dash cam is recording theft/hit-and-run incidents etc when the car is not in use, would this not be problematic for the battery?