Bad Photoshop of MMC RLX????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Bad Photoshop of MMC RLX????

Yes or No?
Improvement or worse?

I have been wanting an SHAWD Advance since introduction. Have other priorities so far.
Only test driven a pre-prod one in SF a couple years back. Dealers don't even stock them for me to sit and admire from time to time
Old 12-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I think your basic idea is a reasonable extrapolation of the MDX refresh, and it therefore makes sense.

The headlights are proportionally a little small, and the bottom air "intakes" are a little too big, IMHO.

But it's easy to see where you got the idea, and it's reasonable to suppose something like that. :-)
Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Nice job. It makes sense. I would hope the RLX jewel eyes remain unique in the fleet. I can distinguish a (rare) RLX at distance with the two deck LEDs, whereas a 3,4, 5, 6 or 7 BMW all look the same at distance with similar angel eye styling.

I cannot say I like it more or less than the current face - which is a good thing. I would not feel that new face would make me look at mine as tired. Odd as it may be, and considering my disgust of the power phlegm grille, I like this chromed shield on the RLX, and especially the smoked chrome of the SH. The new Acura grille translates too closely as a copy of the Mercedes diamond grille.

But I think the OP was posting this concept from elsewhere? I had seen it before.

Rendered: MMC Acura RLX with Diamond Pentagon Grille ? Acura Connected
Old 12-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I think it is attractive overall. If there was a small lip at the bottom of the front clip that might look cool. Also inserting a row of LED fog lamps in the lower openings that look a little large might be cool too. Are there any regulations or reasons why the front of the side view mirrors can't have forward looking lights too? I wonder what that might look like.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Let me be an outlier here and say that I think the front of this rendering is unattractive. Too stylized, too angular, and too Gallactica for my taste. Isn't this a car for us stodgy oldtimers? Does it fly?
The following 4 users liked this post by fsmith:
pgeorg (12-23-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (12-23-2016), TampaRLX-SH (12-23-2016), wstr75 (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I'll agree with others who have suggested that the "air intake" spaces in the concept rendering are too big and would look better narrowed and with a row of LED fog lights at the bottom. I'll also agree that the "double-decker" Jewel-eye in the current RLX is a nice touch AND I suspect do a better job of light distribution than a single row. Finally, I saw a similar grill on the new MDX the other day and thought it looked a bit "busy" up close, but not to the point of being offensive like the worst of the "big shield" grills. Overall, if the "air intakes" and sharpness were toned down a bit, it would be a front end that I would like.

Poor Acura can't win this game... they are always being criticized because the RLX is considered too conservative and "bland", yet if they make it "edgy and bold", they risk alienating and losing their core buyers who tend to be over-50 and fairly conservative in nature. RLX buyers don't tend to be the "hey, look at me" types which is why they buy an RLX and NOT a flashy snob brand.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by hondamore; 12-23-2016 at 01:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
pgeorg (12-23-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 08:10 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmith
Let me be an outlier here and say that I think the front of this rendering is unattractive. Too stylized, too angular, and too Gallactica for my taste. Isn't this a car for us stodgy oldtimers? Does it fly?
yes the Sports Hybrid does fly!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
hondamore (12-23-2016), pgeorg (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
Poor Acura can't win this game... they are always being criticized because the RLX is considered too conservative and "bland", yet if they make it "edgy and bold", they risk alienating and losing their core buyers who tend to be over-50 and fairly conservative in nature. RLX buyers don't tend to be the "hey, look at me" types which is why they buy an RLX and NOT a flashy snob brand.
Where I believe Acura gets misguidance is with internet noise. The overwhelming majority of the most vocal critics are NOT people who would buy this car. Same goes for auto 'journalists' whose myopic assessment of every vehicle cannot stray from a BMW model. The RLX (and RL) owners are most often part of the silent majority (of our culture, not of driving enthusiasts). So if Acura focuses on delivering a product to it's target market (as small as it has become) they get noise from the internet 'experts' who would never buy this car anyway. If they try to appease the internet critiques, they alienate the people who would buy the car. At least Consumer Reports now specifies the 2014 RLX as the model year to avoid (though they never reviewed the SH). And subsequent years now reflect above average reliability. But it will no difference at this point for the remaining years of the current gen RLX.

More and more I read and hear that Acura has never expected the RLX (in either flavor) to be a significant seller. And I believe the focus on 'flagship' sedans has waned for CUVs - no only at Acura.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 12-23-2016 at 09:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (12-23-2016), pgeorg (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Nice job. It makes sense. I would hope the RLX jewel eyes remain unique in the fleet. I can distinguish a (rare) RLX at distance with the two deck LEDs, whereas a 3,4, 5, 6 or 7 BMW all look the same at distance with similar angel eye styling.

I cannot say I like it more or less than the current face - which is a good thing. I would not feel that new face would make me look at mine as tired. Odd as it may be, and considering my disgust of the power phlegm grille, I like this chromed shield on the RLX, and especially the smoked chrome of the SH. The new Acura grille translates too closely as a copy of the Mercedes diamond grille.

But I think the OP was posting this concept from elsewhere? I had seen it before.

Rendered: MMC Acura RLX with Diamond Pentagon Grille ? Acura Connected
Whooppss... this is not my photoshop. I just found it here in Acurazine TLX section. Actually, it was originally from TOV from June or so, I found the link yesterday, but I am on a different computer now...

Last edited by CL500; 12-24-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Added link to TOV
Old 12-24-2016, 12:21 AM
Cruisin'

Here it is found it: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > Photoshops > > Re: RLX with Diamond Pentagon Grille
Old 12-24-2016, 12:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Yup, saw this months ago on the TOV. I think it looks OK. I. Expect Acura will make the grille redesign properly inoffensive on the RLX MMC when it comes in 2018 or 2019, or if they bother with one.