Bad Accident - We all survived

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts

Yesterday I went to NYC with my family to go to the zoo, enjoy decadent food and visit with others and all was great until our drive home. Traffic was bad everywhere so navigating traditional routes was useless. As a result we drove on some roads we otherwise would not have. Not that what happened next was as a result of the navigation issues, but it was the wrong way to end what was a very nice day with the family.

While sitting in more than 2 hours of bumper to bumper traffic, we finally got a break and got up to speed for maybe 30 seconds before slowing again to a stop. Immediately after we stopped, a woman in an Infiniti FX50 blasted into the back of us at speed (est 60 mph)! She later admitted to falling asleep at the wheel. We were all shaken up and it appeared that none of us had any significant injuries to speak of. The other driver though was not wearing her seat belt and smashed her head into the windshield while having multiple broken bones from the airbags and generally flying around the inside of her own car. Her cell phone ended up on top of our car somehow. Many witnesses and good Samaritans jumped into action to check on us and help the other driver. We were all properly belted and in the proper seating positions. My sun glasses flew off my head, and my sons’ iPads launched out of their hands and into the back storage area of the MDX, and we all felt our ears pop from the sudden air pressurization in the cabin. We have a few bumps and bruises, but other than sore necks we are getting checked out today, we seem to be fine. However, the MDX is another story. The entire back end was crushed as it absorbed the energy of the heavy impact. If it is totaled we will get another one, if not it will be repaired. All of the windows exploded with the exception of the front windshield, but amazingly the rear doors were able to open normally. Behind the rear doors everything was crumpled as the engineers had designed it to do. Somehow I did not move forward more than a few feet as I did not hit the stopped car in front of us.

Just bad luck again I guess. My sons are scared to leave the house today.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
benjaminh (08-01-2015), victorber (08-06-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Sorry to hear that but glad no one sustained serious injuries. Sounds like the MDX performed well under the circumstances.

Any pics of the damage? It sounds like a write-off and I assume the other driver will be charged.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Very glad to hear your people are okay.

From your description, it sounds like the MDX did exactly what it was supposed to do.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
Sorry to hear that but glad no one sustained serious injuries. Sounds like the MDX performed well under the circumstances.

Any pics of the damage? It sounds like a write-off and I assume the other driver will be charged.
I think it will be totaled, and quite frankly I want it to be. I did not think to take any pictures for some reason. Now that I think about it that was really dumb that I didn't. The other driver was clearly at fault as there was not question with that. I called my insurance agent from the scene and he is taking care of everything for us. I'm leaving soon to go to the hospital with my family for us all to get a once over by the medical staff. We all had a rough night.
sooththetruth (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Very glad to hear your people are okay.

From your description, it sounds like the MDX did exactly what it was supposed to do.
Thanks for the good wishes. Yes the MDX performed brilliantly and as designed. If it is totaled I would just get another one with the same options as before but I'm not worried about that part yet. That is the trivial part of the event.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Grandpa

A car running into you at 60 mph is quite an event, honestly.

Very lucky.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Grandpa

I don't know if you'll be interested in this, but this is the result of a very high speed rollover event (probably 80+) encountered by some acquaintances from the racing world.

Two humans and a dog survived this with relatively minor injuries.

So...the next time we're picking on Acura for stodgy designs, let's remember that the roof stands up to this kind of thing.

Yes, they did go right back out and get another Acura.
Attached Thumbnails Bad Accident - We all survived-10626615_804432722911742_8691790562587008474_n.jpg   Bad Accident - We all survived-10665889_804432466245101_4103527727239978548_n.jpg  
sooththetruth (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I don't know if you'll be interested in this, but this is the result of a very high speed rollover event (probably 80+) encountered by some acquaintances from the racing world.

Two humans and a dog survived this with relatively minor injuries.

So...the next time we're picking on Acura for stodgy designs, let's remember that the roof stands up to this kind of thing.

Yes, they did go right back out and get another Acura.
I can't look at those pictures this morning. Too fresh in my mind. The sound of the impact is what we are all responding to this morning. Both of my kids are complaining of ear aches now and one had some dried blood in his ear which he showed me a moment ago. I will post later after we get back from the hospital. I am going to take everyone now. Talk to all of you later.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Grandpa

Very best of luck.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Glad everyone seems more or less ok.+++ Good that you are getting checked out.

Kudos to the Acura MDX with top safety pick plus for helping to save your lives.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Can I ask - was anyone seated in the third row seating of your MDX? Based on your description of the damage and the injuries sustained, I'm assuming not... If in fact no one was in the 3rd row seating, do you think they would have survived this accident had they been?

We have considered replacing our Odyssey with the MDX, but my wife has always been worried of this type of an accident with kids in the 3rd row (as we'd need all available seats for our family)... There isn't much space behind the 3rd row to the trunk and rear window.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Family first. Well wishes that all will be fine with no residual injuries.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:27 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
holy crap!!

i'm glad to hear you and your family are basically ok. well wishes for a speedy recovery.

wow. the MDX did her job. pics would have been interesting to see, but i totally understand if YOU didn't want to have the visuals. this kind of accident can be pretty traumatic.

there seem to be an awful lot of wrecked Acuras this week.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Lot of accidents yesterday involving AZ members the last 24 hours. Not only were there two separate accidents involving silver TLXs reported yesterday, now this one.

Glad you and yours are OK, RLXSH.

To make lemonade of lemons, are you going to replace the MDX with a second Sport Hybrid?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I am extremely happy that all of you are ok, my friend! That is all that matters! I hope everybody checks out ok at the hospital! I cannot imagine what you are going through, until you get the "All clear" from the doctors for the whole family.
Please update us when you are done.....
Old 08-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
What everyone else said, RLX-Sport Hybrid. Really bad luck; could have happened to any of us. Sounds like you guys are all okay in terms of serious injury, but please confirm that when you get back from the hospital. Also sounds like your car served you well. You've had your share of nasty driving experiences recently, some of which have been fodder for humor. But this one is definitely not funny. Kind of reminds us of what we sometimes forget while we are having so much fun driving our SH-AWDs - we're all driving around in two ton chunks of steel that can do serious damage. Be well and keep us informed.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Hope you and your family are well, and glad you guys are mostly ok.
Don't be surprised if something starts hurting later.
This makes me think even more highly of the MDX.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
RLX Sport Hybrid, So glad that you and your family are ok. Be sure to get a thorough medical check up and expect to be pretty sore and "out of whack" for a while. Our bodies take a while to recover from such extreme trauma, so plan to take it easy for at least a week.
All the best to you and your family.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Am I mistaken, isn't RLX Sport Hybrid the same guy who had the bats and the other issue as well
Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Godspeed for you and your families healing.

I live in Arlington Va, originally from Queens NY. I travel back to NY often. I drove up last weekend as I had 2 days of work in NYC. The traffic going up and back was brutal, and worse was just commuting in and around NYC. The Belt Parkway in Brooklyn makes the DC beltway feel almost enjoyable in comparison.

Not sure where you live, but if you can use Amtrak or Acela I would highly recommend it. If not just for the stress free part of it. I take Acela often and most of the time the 2 hour and 45 minute journey from DC to Penn Station is seamless and without issue. It is taxpayer subsidized, and still quite expensive, but avoiding driving in or near NYC can be priceless.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you and your family have suffered such a trauma. But just like everyone else, I am ecstatic you are doing so well after such an event. Muscular pains can last for days or weeks after such an event. I hope none of you suffer any such.

I used to be angry at the people demanding constant upgrades in safety for automobiles, but that was when I was a young man without wife or children, and when all that mattered was getting the fastest, coolest car I could.

Right now, that MDX seems very cool.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Update:

Thank you all for your kinds words of concern. After all of the various shenanigans I have put up with over the last 7 months with my other car (bats, crazy lady bumping into the back end of the car, and avoidance of a serious accident 100% unscathed), this is the topper.

I won't go into specific details for potential legal reason that may develop from this incident other than to say that both of my kids have ear damage but not permanent so they say, my wife has lower lumbar issues but likely it is not permanent, but I have fairly serious disk issues from C7-T1 and higher. I'm quite angry about all of this. And so the second and third opinions to follow. Luckily I have various disciplines covered within the medical world who are family who will provide guidance to me and my family. I already have one of them looking at my films for another set of eyes on the matter as of the writing of this post. For a variety of reasons I will limit my disclosures of information about the incident so if there are any questions I can't answer I hope you will understand that I am not trying to be difficult. I do appreciate all of the good wishes and concern.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Good to hear nothing sounds permanent.
Hopefully this is your last event for a long long time
Old 08-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
All of your energy should be focused on you and your family's healing and long term well being.

The forum can wait until when you have time to contribute and participate. And if there is anticipated legal action, do not publish anything online or at least until after is is resolved.

But right now, we appreciate what you have shared. But waste no further keystroke here until the boys are again comfortable, the wifey and you have managed the issues forthcoming. Only then if the community can keep your enthusiasm afire, we will be here.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
All of your energy should be focused on you and your family's healing and long term well being.

The forum can wait until when you have time to contribute and participate. And if there is anticipated legal action, do not publish anything online or at least until after is is resolved.

But right now, we appreciate what you have shared. But waste no further keystroke here until the boys are again comfortable, the wifey and you have managed the issues forthcoming. Only then if the community can keep your enthusiasm afire, we will be here.
In general I am a glass half full kind of guy so if it isn't filed enough for me, I find a way to make it that way. Staying positive when it is hard to do is part of the journey in life. Thank you again for the kind words and support. I will post again when time allows and I am feeling ok. Being in pain sucks.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Pro

So sorry to hear you and your family have suffered injuries and are in pain. Know that all your buddies on the forum are thinking about you and yours. Take care of yourself, and hopefully all your problems are temporary. In your shoes I would also be very angry.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
So sorry to read your posts. Glad you and your family survived what could have had even more serious if you weren't in a large safe MDX. Hope the family's recovery is speedy and complete.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
Can I ask - was anyone seated in the third row seating of your MDX? Based on your description of the damage and the injuries sustained, I'm assuming not... If in fact no one was in the 3rd row seating, do you think they would have survived this accident had they been?

We have considered replacing our Odyssey with the MDX, but my wife has always been worried of this type of an accident with kids in the 3rd row (as we'd need all available seats for our family)... There isn't much space behind the 3rd row to the trunk and rear window.
The kids were in the 2nd row. The third row would have been sketchy for anyone back there. Any passenger in the 3rd row would certainly have sustained serious leg injuries and maybe head injuries as the tailgate crushed down very hard into the bumper area and the bumper section folded like an accordion into the body. The spare tire ended up under the engine. The rear wheels looked to be untouched, but the rear quarters crushed nearly symmetrically on both sides as she hit us absolutely perfectly straight on in the rear. The other driver likely would have sustained minor injuries had she had her seat belt on. Let this experience give you confidence about purchasing an MDX. It was a freak accident that could not be avoided, nor seen coming. I will get another one if this can't be repaired. Honestly recounting what I saw is making me nauseous. I'm going to stop now.

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 08-01-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Limelight (08-02-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Please don't let my posts stop you guys from posting on other topics. Sorry for taking things down to such serious levels. My apologies.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:32 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH

Absolutely correct. My advice at this point would be to seek legal advice immediately and cease posting entirely.

Make sure that everyone is checked thoroughly and everything documented. Some issues like concussions can have few obvious symptoms but can linger on if not recognized and treated.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:39 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
The kids were in the 2nd row. The third row would have been sketchy for anyone back there. Any passenger in the 3rd row would certainly have sustained serious leg injuries and maybe head injuries as the tailgate crushed down very hard into the bumper area and the bumper section folded like an accordion into the body. The spare tire ended up under the engine. The rear wheels looked to be untouched, but the rear quarters crushed nearly symmetrically on both sides as she hit us absolutely perfectly straight on in the rear. The other driver likely would have sustained minor injuries had she had her seat belt on. Let this experience give you confidence about purchasing an MDX. It was a freak accident that could not be avoided, nor seen coming. I will get another one if this can't be repaired. Honestly recounting what I saw is making me nauseous. I'm going to stop now.
The car has frame damage as is a total loss. If the spare ended up by the engine then the whole frame is tweaked.

The fact that the other driver is still alive is a testament to how safe modern cars are.

I'm glad you and your family were able to at least walk away.

This WAS an avoidable accident - not by you but by the person driving the other car.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Sorry for taking things down to such serious levels. My apologies.
I think I could speak for everyone in saying that apologizing to us is the last thing you should be concerned about. Just take care of yourself and your family.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:05 AM
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 140 Posts
It is very upsetting to read about this accident as well as the two TLX's in that forum. I live in New York as well and the aggressive, distracted driving by so many so called drivers that I encounter every day is scary.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

It appears I am heading down a medical path that will get ugly regarding my neck. Council is retained and is a warrior and has given me specific perimeters on what I can and should not discuss on this board. Therefore I can provide certain updates if you are interested. Pictures will NOT be posted, nor specifics on the list of injuries which for me are much more significant than first anticipated, my wife and children less so thank god. This is very disappointing as you can imagine. Again thank you to all of you for your best wishes. I will post from time to time and monitor things so any future messages will be read and appreciated greatly. This all could have been avoided and now I have to suffer because of someone's carelessness. Who cares about any car? I don't anymore. Sorry for being a downer.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
fsmith (08-02-2015), victorber (08-06-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Pro

So sorry to hear this, RLX-Sport Hybrid. We'll all look forward to your recovery - medically and legally.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Frustration is certainly a large part of being the victim of such a senseless and careless accident, RLX-Sport Hybrid, so feel free to vent and complain all you want. Many of us on this forum have suffered similar events and are completely understanding and sympathetic to your anger and frustration. We all hope that you and your family can eventually resume your normal lives, something that was taken from you by a careless idiot.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

RLXSH a downer? Never! Feeling for you, though. Lawyer up and get yourself taken care of medically. All will turn out OK in the end as liability is pretty certain.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-02-2015), victorber (08-06-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 07:50 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
OP: First happy you are OK overall, I am sure all these health issues you and your family will eventually overcome. A lesson learned for the kids as they grow up to be careful out there.

Second, I hate Infiniti drivers. Not sure why but I have never met any sane ones (not that I have also met an sane BMW drivers either LOL).

In any case, you'll pull through that.

PS. Check if she was texting and driving at the time of the accident or shortly before. I am sure any lawyer can ask for a court order for that.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here is where I am as of tonight: After spending the entire day in medical facilities getting one test after another, and my pain is rising by the hour, I hobbled back to my car wincing with every step and pain is radiating down both arms to the point that cutting them off might feel better, to find a person ogling the SH. Normally I would spend as much time as the other person wanted sharing details and experiences about the automobile because of the joy it brings to me. Not today. I basically blew the guy off in disgust as I wobbled over to the door. That is not me. Not any day, not ever. I would never do that normally and if the gentleman is on this board I apologize for my behavior. I got more bad news with the tests from today and I am trying to figure out a variety of things that will likely be on hold for a while. Folks, you haven't felt humiliation until you are injured and can't take care of your own personal needs. My wife had to hold my head still so I could shampoo my hair this morning, as well as brush my teeth. Even walking causes impact vibrations up into my neck that feels like Rambo knives stabbing me. Even my teeth hurt. Things are literally getting worse by the hour.

For me to not want to engage in a car discussion in a positive way is like taking oxygen from me. I could care less about the Blackbird or replacing the MDX at the moment. I just don't want to be in pain and I can't stop it. Medications are not the answer as they will disguise what is wrong and I could easily injure myself more. I feel like a 90 year old frail guy, and that is not me either.:notfun ny::a ss::wtfsi ck::uzi :
Old 08-03-2015, 06:03 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Medications will help manage the pain. There is no need to suffer in the manner that you are. Go to physical therapy. Pain is not a fun thing at all. Sorry for all that you are going through.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-03-2015)

Quick Reply: Bad Accident - We all survived