Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah i disconnected it, all my lows are coming from the 10" sub
Old 03-19-2017, 11:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Frequency Response?

Hi Everyone,

i had a JL slash v3 and JL 12" w6v3 installed into my Acura RLX Krell package.

Has anyone experienced that their aftermarket sub is only playing the really low notes? If I play a frequency sweep with voice overlay, the new sub does nothing upward of 40hz. Crossover is set at 90, ultrasonic is set to 20, bassEQ is set at 60 with 1.6 Q

Do others here with aftermarket subs in Krell RLX find the subs are getting full frequency response below 80hz?

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
good song to test your sub

Old 07-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rody084
Hi Everyone,

i had a JL slash v3 and JL 12" w6v3 installed into my Acura RLX Krell package.

Has anyone experienced that their aftermarket sub is only playing the really low notes? If I play a frequency sweep with voice overlay, the new sub does nothing upward of 40hz. Crossover is set at 90, ultrasonic is set to 20, bassEQ is set at 60 with 1.6 Q

Do others here with aftermarket subs in Krell RLX find the subs are getting full frequency response below 80hz?

Thank you in advance!
I did baseline sweep using a freq generator app over Bluetooth and the stock crossover seems to be between 100 and 120 Hz. It was nice to see the stock sub moving in the teens. Tapping the line level should provide good results, unless the ANC is acting up. In the RL, it was necessary to disable the rear mic.

Last edited by pcloadletter; 07-03-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great writeup with a ton of helpful information, thank you! I also am adding a subwoofer per the request of my wife. We don't have the Krell, just ELS. I am wondering if anyone had issues with the ANC and if it is necessary to disconnect. When I added one to the Accord it was a must to disconnect.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 1929fordtudor
Great writeup with a ton of helpful information, thank you! I also am adding a subwoofer per the request of my wife. We don't have the Krell, just ELS. I am wondering if anyone had issues with the ANC and if it is necessary to disconnect. When I added one to the Accord it was a must to disconnect.
How do you disable the mics
Old 12-31-2020, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to make two points.

First, to the OP, none of those guys who ragged you ever apologized. They owe you one. Wanting more low bass frequency response from your system is not a sin and it isn’t a sign of youthful exuberance. The level of ignorance shown by some members was pretty appalling. For your reference, the lowest note on a large pipe organ is about 16Hz. In other words, those who listen to classical music have more use for a giant subwoofer than “kids” looking for “boom boom”, playing 808’s which typically don’t stretch below 50Hz.

Having said that, I disagree with your choice of a ported subwoofer, but that’s an entirely different discussion.

The second point I wanted to make was in regards to the idea that tapping into the post-processed signal out of the amplifier, is a good way to execute your plan. Seeming as the original Krell subwoofer is an 8” driver, there is a very high likelihood that Krell will have filtered out frequencies below it’s resonant frequency — probably around 30Hz — to protect the driver from damage and excess heat in the voicecoil. 8” drivers don’t do well at 25Hz and only 100 watts. Thus, tapping into the signal there means that your new subwoofer, no matter how big it is, won’t have full output at the frequencies below what the Krell sub can play anyhow.

Having said that, I would be fairly confident that output from a JL 12W6, like another member mentioned earlier, would still be a marked improvement at those low frequencies,(remember that the filtering will be occurring at 12, 24 or 48 dB per octave slopes) but the point remains that you’re not really getting the full benefits. You’ll get more output for sure, but it’s not ideal.

Therefore, I would search for a means of either capturing the signal pre-amplifier, or adding a line output converter or DSP before the subwoofer amplifier, to make that subwoofer channel both flat and full range. This will add extra cost, for sure, but it’s well worth it for a $60k + car with a very upscale, high performance sound system, like Krell has engineered.

Hope this helps someone out, down the road.

Nick
The following 4 users liked this post by iwantwheels:
mrgold35 (01-01-2021), psheu (01-01-2021), snoozabelle (01-03-2021), ValdezQ26 (12-29-2022)
Old 04-16-2021, 11:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone do this on a hybrid?

With the hybrid battery in the trunk, anyone figure out how to run the large gauge wire back to the truck without getting shocked?
Old 04-17-2021, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cchilli
With the hybrid battery in the trunk, anyone figure out how to run the large gauge wire back to the truck without getting shocked?
Normally the subwoofer goes into the place where the hybrid battery is located. Adding a sub would completely remove the usable trunk space. Thus, not many did this mod.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:32 PM

Adding a subwoofer to the RLX audio system with ELS

PGeorg you wouldn't happen to have the same info for the 2016 Acura RLX regular ELS stereo system would you? It would be awesome if you did.

Thanks

Originally Posted by pgeorg
Also:

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I think the best thing is to check over at the TLX forum, they have a really long discussion about how the ANC affects the sound and speakers.

This is what I could find about he Krell:

HTH
Old 11-30-2022, 10:31 PM
Lit 🔥 Lifestyle!

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabvsix
yes its the NOISE they listen too..... its FAR FAR from MUSIC !!!!! They want to FEEL it and make US Hear that NOISE too !!!! Wait till they need hearing aids at 40 years of age...btw I listen to most tunes but not that cRAP... Rant over.....
you sound like a butthurt little b!tch
Old 12-05-2022, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by ValdezQ26
you sound like a butthurt little b!tch
... and you do not sound very intelligent when you resort to insults... you should not insult like that, he did nothing to you or others except share his opinion of whether that is music or not...
C'mon man... you are better than that (I hope)...
Old 12-29-2022, 12:24 AM
Lit 🔥 Lifestyle!

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
What he said was insulting and offensive and he never apologized. He was very condescending and judgemental for no reason. All bc someone wanted to add bass to their sound system? You think that's acceptable? 1st, he referenced "yo yo, boom boom genereration." Like, wtf is that supposed to even mean? Then he said something like... "​​hey, it's just the cRAP THEY like to listen to." As if the demographic that listens to rap or likes bass heavy music is just so beneath him. Way to overlook all of that and focus on my response. 😅

Search this Thread