Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I'd say the RLX FWD is equally as fast as the 535i. Both 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times suggest that the 535i is faster. However, the trap speed suggests the RLX is faster. In other words, the 535i, thanks to its RWD and more aggressive tires, can get off the line quicker. This is evident through the 0-30, 45, 60 mph times as the 0.5 second or so remains constant all the way. However, the RLX starts to catch up after that point. When the RLX crosses the 1/4 mile mark, the 535i is a good 0.3 second ahead, but the RLX is already travelling at 2mph faster (or may be 1.5 mph since the 535i reaches 95.1 mph in 14.3s, and at 14.6s, it could be at 95.6mph or so). If this trend were to continue, the RLX would not take long to pass the 535i.

Obviously by the time the RLX passes the 535i, we are talking about 100mph+, which does not happen that often. However, it doesn't mean in the real world, the 535i is always faster. I'd imagine the times achieved by the 535i is by building up the boost first (i.e. stepping on the brake and gas at the same time). We all know the N55 has very little lag, but it's still a boosted engine. Look at the autocross video from TOV, one can still see the turbo lag as the 535i doesn't launch as smoothly/strongly as the RLX.

Then there's the traction issue. In the real world, we don't just to 0 to whatever speed. We need to step on it when we try to pass someone on the highway, or when we need to merge on to the highway, or we just want to race with the car beside us on the highway and do some 40mph to 80mph races. In these scenarios, I think both 535i and RLX will be equally as fast. Ultimately, it's down to the drivers.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Cool ABC News

The 2014 RLX luxury sedan is the most sophisticated Acura production car in history, topping even the Acura NSX sports car that's still revered by auto enthusiasts.

Replacing the flagship Acura RL sedan this year, the RLX even has its own driving experience that comes from a new suspension and new all-wheel steering system that electronically adjusts toe-in and toe-out at the rear tires for improved tracking in curves and corners.

Designed by the man who helped craft the NSX suspension and who formerly worked on Honda's Formula 1 race team, the new, standard Precision All-Wheel Steer (P-AWS) system makes the RLX feel as if it's directly dialed in with the driver.

Also notable: Combined city/highway fuel economy for the RLX is more than 24 miles per gallon and bests Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz and BMW competitors.

The RLX's direct injection V-6 comes standard with Variable Cylinder Management that automatically deactivates some engine cylinders when they're not needed, thus saving gasoline.

Though it has the same overall length as the mid-size RL, the RLX has surprisingly generous rear-seat legroom — 38.8 inches — which surpasses that in the Infiniti M and Mercedes E-Class sedans.

In addition, the RLX offers new safety features, including a system that gently steers the car back into its lane if it detects wandering over the center line. This works only if there is lane marking that is detectable by the system.

Meantime, adaptive cruise control with Slow Speed Follow can bring the car to a full stop in certain circumstances if the RLX is headed for the rear-end of a stopped vehicle in front of it.

But the RLX, like its RL predecessor, is front-wheel drive, rather than the rear-wheel drive that some sporty luxury sedan purists prefer.

Starting manufacturer's suggested retail price is up only $250 from its predecessor Acura RL.

A base RLX has a starting retail price, including destination charge, of $49,345. All RLX models come with a 310-horsepower V-6 and a 6-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters. The RLX also is the 1st top Acura sedan to include jeweled-look, light-emitting diode headlights.

Other standard equipment includes leather-trimmed seats and stitched leather instrument panel cover, moonroof, push-button start, keyless entry, 3-zone climate control, Acura/ELS premium audio system with 10 speakers, Bluetooth connectivity, 2 sizable display screens in the dashboard and a rearview camera.

Buyers can move up through 4 trim levels to add navigation, lane keeping, a new Krell audio system with 14 speakers, sunshades and ventilated seats.

In comparison, the starting MSRP, including destination charge, for a rear-wheel drive 2013 Infiniti M37 is $49,605. The M37 has a 330-horsepower V-6 and 7-speed automatic, but the base audio system has 6 speakers and dual, not 3-zone, climate control is standard. The M37 also comes with high-intensity discharge headlights, rather than LED lights.

While the federal government fuel economy ratings for the RLX are 20/31 mpg for city/highway travel, the mid-size M37 is rated at 18/26 mpg.

Another competitor, the Lexus LS 460, has a starting retail price of $72,885 and comes with a 386-horsepower V-8 and 8-speed automatic transmission. Classified as a mid-size sedan, the LS 460 is rated at 16/24 mpg in city/highway driving by the federal government.

The RLX still has some of the heavy Acura "helmet shield" design on its nose. But it's mild, and the flowing lines on the sides and strong rear end give the car a luxury appearance.

The interior of the top-of-the-line RLX with Advance package was top-notch in fit and finish, with small gaps between trim pieces and everything lined up perfectly.

This RLX included additional acoustic glass that helped keep the interior so quiet, front-seat passengers conversed in light tones.

P-AWS wasn't noticeable until the driver went around a curve at good speed and discovered how stably — maybe the word is magically — the 16-foot-long RLX tracked through.

The system provides more stable handling on slippery surfaces, too.

The most fascinating aspect during the test drive, perhaps, was how little the steering wheel had to be turned to keep the car on track in the curves and how balanced the sizable RLX felt.

Indeed, on mountain switchback roads, the RLX remained firmly planted and was so tenacious, its back-and-forth motions from one curve to the next created some carsickness for the driver.

The lasting impression: How the RLX molds itself to the driver's capabilities and habits, rather than forcing the driver to learn the car.

It's true the 3.5-liter V-6 is single overhead cam and only produces 310 horses and 272 foot-pounds of torque at 4,500 rpm. This is less than what many competitors deliver. But the RLX is some 160 pounds lighter than its predecessor RL, and the test RLX felt plenty powerful, even if power delivery wasn't race-car instantaneous.

Unleaded premium is the recommended fuel, so a fillup of the 18.5-gallon tank these days could cost more than $72.

Then again, with an average of 24.3 mpg during the test drive on mostly country roads and some highway travel, the RLX's range on a single tank was a good 450 miles.

The sweeping design of the dashboard away from passengers gave an airy feel to the interior.

But seat cushions could be a tad longer to better accommodate long-legged passengers, and the 2 display screens take some getting used to.

There are no 2013 RLs as the RLX is arriving now in showrooms as an early 2014 model.

Later this calendar year, Acura will introduce a gasoline-electric "sport" hybrid version of the RLX that promises to generate more than 370 horsepower.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I'd say the RLX FWD is equally as fast as the 535i. Both 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times suggest that the 535i is faster. However, the trap speed suggests the RLX is faster. In other words, the 535i, thanks to its RWD and more aggressive tires, can get off the line quicker. This is evident through the 0-30, 45, 60 mph times as the 0.5 second or so remains constant all the way. However, the RLX starts to catch up after that point. When the RLX crosses the 1/4 mile mark, the 535i is a good 0.3 second ahead, but the RLX is already travelling at 2mph faster (or may be 1.5 mph since the 535i reaches 95.1 mph in 14.3s, and at 14.6s, it could be at 95.6mph or so). If this trend were to continue, the RLX would not take long to pass the 535i.

Obviously by the time the RLX passes the 535i, we are talking about 100mph+, which does not happen that often. However, it doesn't mean in the real world, the 535i is always faster. I'd imagine the times achieved by the 535i is by building up the boost first (i.e. stepping on the brake and gas at the same time). We all know the N55 has very little lag, but it's still a boosted engine. Look at the autocross video from TOV, one can still see the turbo lag as the 535i doesn't launch as smoothly/strongly as the RLX.

Then there's the traction issue. In the real world, we don't just to 0 to whatever speed. We need to step on it when we try to pass someone on the highway, or when we need to merge on to the highway, or we just want to race with the car beside us on the highway and do some 40mph to 80mph races. In these scenarios, I think both 535i and RLX will be equally as fast. Ultimately, it's down to the drivers.
Valid points, but if RLX doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY differentiate itself from BMW with performance, or brand recognition, or style, or value, then what will draw the luxury car buyers away from BMW to Acura?

Again, I am not saying the 5 series is a "better" car. I am saying that while the RLX will be competent, it doesn't offere enough for it to be any more successful than the last Gen RL.

As for turbo lag on the 5 series. While I haven't driven a 5 series, our X5 has a turbo inline 3.0L 6 cylinder. That has a 0-60 mph of around ~6.1 seconds with no discernable turbo lag. As quick or quicker than what the RLX is supposed to get.

I only bring that up not to compare vehicles, but engines.

Last edited by GoHawks; 02-20-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
to add to the silly argument, 535 will top out at 150+ and RL probably sooner
Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
faster trap speed but it took longer for the car to get to that spot, so ... slower at quarter mile.

No matter how you slice it the BMW turbo is pushing way more than 300hp it is being sold at so that's not a huge surprise.
Again. BMW is equiped with sport package. with lighter rims and tires.
RLX is with heavier tires and noise reducing rims. It is like comparing apples and oranges. RLX is vastly superior platform. see how much quieter it is at 70mph. even with existing rims and changing to PS2 tires will make a big diffference to RLX performance.

These kinds of rims and tires couldnot survive one year in C&D and Autombile long term tests. It is like $2k expense per year.
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/5-series/...st-specs3.html
Dark Graphite Metallic ($550); Dynamic Handling Package ($2,700 -- includes Electronic Damping Control variable rate electromagnetic shock absorbers, Active Roll Stabilization [ARS] hydroelectrically actuated stabilizer bars); Sport Package ($2,200 -- inclludes sports leather steering wheel; 19-by-8.5-inch front and 19-by-9-inch rear V-Spoke [style 331] alloy wheels with 245/40R19 front and 275/35R19 rear run-flat performance tires, increased top speed limiter, 20-way [14-way power adjustments, plus 2-way power headrests and 4-way power lumbar support] front power seats, active head restraints for the front seats; memory settings for the front passenger seat, Shadowline exterior window trim ); Dakota Leather ($1,450); Side and Top View Cameras (Late Availability) ($800); Park Distance Control ($750); Sport Automatic Transmission With Shift Paddles ($500 -- eight-speed automatic transmission with shift paddles on the steering wheel); Rearview Camera ($400); iPod & USB Adapter ($400).
As-tested MSRP $60,225
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Safety Car

Then there's the traction issue. In the real world, we don't just to 0 to whatever speed. We need to step on it when we try to pass someone on the highway, these scenarios, I think both 535i and RLX will be equally as fast. Ultimately, it's down to the drivers.
Honda Accord V6 is faster to 120mph by 1.5 seconds compared to BMW 535. I would estimate the same gap will be with RLX once 100mph speed is crossed.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Honda Accord V6 is faster to 120mph by 1.5 seconds compared to BMW 535. I would estimate the same gap will be with RLX once 100mph speed is crossed.
I think you should stop guessing. RLX is heavier than the accord and thus will not be as fast.
The following users liked this post:
GoHawks (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Safety Car

Again. BMW is equiped with sport package. with lighter rims and tires.
RLX is with heavier tires and noise reducing rims. It is like comparing apples and oranges. RLX is vastly superior platform. see how much quieter it is at 70mph. even with existing rims and changing to PS2 tires will make a big diffference to RLX performance.

These kinds of rims and tires couldnot survive one year in C&D and Autombile long term tests. It is like $2k expense per year.
BMW will no doubt will end up being the more expensive vehicle to own in the long run, but we aren't discussing that.

The point was, the BMW is faster, that's it, end of discussion.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 037
BMW will no doubt will end up being the more expensive vehicle to own in the long run, but we aren't discussing that.

The point was, the BMW is faster, that's it, end of discussion.
With respect to cost of ownership, that depends. If you are going to own the car beyond the warranty period, then yes I agree with you that the 5 series will be a more expensive car to own. If you are the type to trade in the car before the warranty expires, than the 5 series will be cheaper since they pay for ALL maintenance during that time. Even normal wear and tear items like brakes.

As for speed, I agree with you. If the I6 of the X5 can out accelerate the RLX, you know that a comprable 5 series can.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 037
I think you should stop guessing. RLX is heavier than the accord and thus will not be as fast.
I know RLX has much larger all seaon tires and noise reducing rims. but it is gaining alot of speeds. why do u think its trap speed at quater mile is higher than 535?
I am not looking at long term ownership but yearly cost of replacing tires. BMW 535 tires dont survive for one year in hard road tests. and it needs more often alignment. Check any magaine long term update.
TL-SH-AWD didnot have problem with PS2 on Road & Track long term tests. all the way upto 30k miles.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/5-series/...expensive.html
2011 BMW 528i: Free Maintenance is Expensive
Onboard maintenance reminders don't monitor everything. That is up to the human. Have you checked your tire pressures regularly? Is your alignment to spec? These are rhetorical under the old-school rules. When you wait so long between dealer visits these questions become very relevant. Tires under or over-inflated for 15,000 miles? Alignment out of whack for 15,000 miles? If you waited to see the dealer until your computer said to, bring your wallet.

BMW is one of the few OEMs to offer the benefit of free scheduled maintenance. It's a great program but it doesn't cover everything. If you rely on your car to dictate its service needs, as I'd wager most folks do, it can be expensive. What do we mean by expensive? Let's just say it cost $903.74 to replace two P245/45R18 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT runflats, each of which had just over 17,000 miles beneath them. Ouch

BMW X5 is joke on Edmundst test. 4.8 V8 model is even slower than Acura RDX. and more comparable with MDX.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x5/2008/l...t/wrap-up.html

Acceleration and braking figures both improved. At the time of its final test the X5 reached 60 mph from a standstill in 6.8 seconds and completed the quarter-mile in 15.2 seconds at 92 mph
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM

BMW X5 is joke on Edmundst test. 4.8 V8 model is even slower than Acura RDX. and more comparable with MDX.
Listen, I understand that you are an Acura fan. To some extent we all are, but you would be much more credible if you were factual in your assessments.

Also you accuse others of comparing apples and oranges and yet that's what you are doing. You bring up a review of a 2008 X5 which has already undergone a refresh in 2011 and is about to be redesigned AGAIN in 2014.

Here is an apples to apples comparisons on 2011 models that is the current generation for both vehicles.

Zeroto60.com
2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 0-60 mph 6.0 Quarter Mile 14.4
2012 BMW X5 xDrive 50i 0-60 mph 5.2
2010 Acura MDX 0-60 mph 7.1

Edmunds.com
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x5/2013/?...ApA#fullreview
2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 0-60 mph 6.4
2012 BMW X5 xDrive 50i 0-60 mph 5.3
http://www.edmunds.com/acura/mdx/201...suv#fullreview

Car and Driver
2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35i 0-60 mph 6.1
2011 Acura MDX 0-60 mph 6.7

I suggest you read this Car & Driver comparison and see where the MDX and the X5 ranked.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...exus-gx460.pdf

I don't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into an Acura MDX vs BMW X5 thread. I just have a hard time seeing you spread misinformation.

I get that you are an Acura fan. Good for you, but be objective in the facts you present.

Last edited by GoHawks; 02-21-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Valid points, but if RLX doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY differentiate itself from BMW with performance, or brand recognition, or style, or value, then what will draw the luxury car buyers away from BMW to Acura?

Again, I am not saying the 5 series is a "better" car. I am saying that while the RLX will be competent, it doesn't offere enough for it to be any more successful than the last Gen RL.

As for turbo lag on the 5 series. While I haven't driven a 5 series, our X5 has a turbo inline 3.0L 6 cylinder. That has a 0-60 mph of around ~6.1 seconds with no discernable turbo lag. As quick or quicker than what the RLX is supposed to get.

I only bring that up not to compare vehicles, but engines.
The way I see it is that the RLX FWD is not the performance variant of the RLX range. Acura's strategy seems to be this: make the RLX cheaper than the German competitors while offering a whole lot more standard features, even for the base model. The problem IMO is that the discount is not large enough. People look at the $49k base price of the RLX, and then compare that to the $51k base price of the 535i (don't even get started with the 528i), and they immediately go, might as well spend an extra $2k to drive a bimmer. Not many people will go into the details and compare features I'm afraid. So I agree with you, I don't know if Acura can convince people to buy the RLX.

Someone posted the comparison of MDX vs the X5 with the 3.0 I6 engine. The X5 gets off the line much quicker and keeps it like that all the way to illegal speeds. The X5 also has a faster trap speed than the MDX, 94mph vs 92mph. This means the X5 is undoubtedly a faster car than the MDX. However when you look at 5-60mph and top gear acceleration tests, The MDX is actually quite close to the X5. The 5-60mph run is especially important as that shows how responsive the engine is and how much lag there is. It's 6.9s vs 7.0s.

Now, looking back at the 535i vs RLX FWD comparison, the RLX has a higher trap speed. With that, I won't be surprised if the RLX actually does better in the 5-60mph run. Do you see what I'm trying to say here?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM

The way I see it is that the RLX FWD is not the performance variant of the RLX range. Acura's strategy seems to be this: make the RLX cheaper than the German competitors while offering a whole lot more standard features, even for the base model. The problem IMO is that the discount is not large enough. People look at the $49k base price of the RLX, and then compare that to the $51k base price of the 535i (don't even get started with the 528i), and they immediately go, might as well spend an extra $2k to drive a bimmer. Not many people will go into the details and compare features I'm afraid. So I agree with you, I don't know if Acura can convince people to buy the RLX.

Someone posted the comparison of MDX vs the X5 with the 3.0 I6 engine. The X5 gets off the line much quicker and keeps it like that all the way to illegal speeds. The X5 also has a faster trap speed than the MDX, 94mph vs 92mph. This means the X5 is undoubtedly a faster car than the MDX. However when you look at 5-60mph and top gear acceleration tests, The MDX is actually quite close to the X5. The 5-60mph run is especially important as that shows how responsive the engine is and how much lag there is. It's 6.9s vs 7.0s.

Now, looking back at the 535i vs RLX FWD comparison, the RLX has a higher trap speed. With that, I won't be surprised if the RLX actually does better in the 5-60mph run. Do you see what I'm trying to say here?
That was me who brought up the X5 information.

Completely agree with everything you said.

Well said.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

imho the only speed test that matters for regular drivers is the 5-60 as there is hard launch, and thus anyone can reproduce it.

A lot of manual cars lose over .5 seconds just because you don't have a hard clutch drop at like 4,000rpm.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Safety Car

Listen, I understand that you are an Acura fan. To some extent we all are, but you would be much more credible if you were factual in your assessments.
I am not acura fan rather presenting facts.
Also you accuse others of comparing apples and oranges and yet that's what you are doing. You bring up a review of a 2008 X5 which has already undergone a refresh in 2011 and is about to be redesigned AGAIN in 2014.
It is 350bhp V8 that i presented. more powrfull than 3.0T X5 and that was realistic assessment based on longer life tires.
I bet if RDX had sport Maxx tires. It would have beaten BMW 535 even with sport package.

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/2013/road-test.html
In our testing the 2013 Acura RDX ran to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds (6.2 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and completed the quarter-mile sprint in 14.7 seconds at 94.0 mph. This is robust thrust that places the RDX among the fleeter crossovers in its class. What's more, its speed is now accompanied by a crisp linearity at part-throttle that the previous turbo engine never exhibited. It's more natural-feeling, more... mature. There's that word again.

Here is an apples to apples comparisons on 2011 models that is the current generation for both vehicles.

[i]Zeroto60.com
2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 0-60 mph 6.0 Quarter Mile 14.4
2012 BMW X5 xDrive 50i 0-60 mph 5.2

Edmunds.com
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x5/2013/?...ApA#fullreview
2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 0-60 mph 6.4
2012 BMW X5 xDrive 50i 0-60 mph 5.3
http://www.edmunds.com/acura/mdx/201...suv#fullreview
how exactly is this apple to apple comparision. Show me real BMW X5 2011 road test with all seaon tires at Edmunds. BMW claim does not mean it is going to be replicated by Edmunds. They are the most conservative testers.
https://acurazine.com/forums/newrepl...ply&p=14332192
According to BMW, it will go from zero to 60 mph in 6.4 seconds. EPA-estimated fuel economy is 16 mpg city/23 mpg highway and 19 mpg combined. With the Sport Activity's M Sport package, output increases to 315 hp and 330 lb-ft of torque.
see this BMW 535 example. BMW claims 0-60 in 5.7 seconds but Edmunds even with sport package could manage only 5.9 seconds. so where is the proof of Edmunds replicating BMW claim?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

Car and Driver
2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35i 0-60 mph 6.1
2011 Acura MDX 0-60 mph 6.7

I suggest you read this Car & Driver comparison and see where the MDX and the X5 ranked.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...exus-gx460.pdf
I have seen this test from C&D. but have u consider this Sport Maxx tire setup of X5?
Dunlop SP Sport
Maxx DSST
F: 275/40R-20
106W
R: 315/35R-20
110W

I don't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into an Acura MDX vs BMW X5 thread. I just have a hard time seeing you spread misinformation.

I get that you are an Acura fan. Good for you, but be objective in the facts you present.
You didnot turn into MDX vs X5 but rather making spurious claim of X5 faster than RLX.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 PM

I am not acura fan rather presenting facts.

It is 350bhp V8 that i presented. more powrfull than 3.0T X5 and that was realistic assessment based on longer life tires.
I bet if RDX had sport Maxx tires. It would have beaten BMW 535 even with sport package.

I have seen this test from C&D. but have u consider this Sport Maxx tire setup of X5?

So tires will make a car go faster?!

That is hilarious. Thank you for the laugh
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
So tires will make a car go faster?!

That is hilarious. Thank you for the laugh
GoHawks, you are forgetting your lesson from earlier.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 AM
Safety Car

Post Consumer Guide

Our road test for the 2014 Acura RLX includes a full evaluation of the 2014 Acura RLX from the inside out. We evaluate not only engine and handling performance for the 2014 Acura RLX, but also interior cabin and cargo space. Let our comprehensive road test ratings for the 2014 Acura RLX help you decide if a 2014 Acura RLX is right for you.

ACCELERATION
RLX w/Advance Pkg. Class Average
7 7
A top-line Advance Package-equipped RLX is the only model made available to test. Acceleration is linear and robust in both around-town and highway driving. Transmission is smooth and responsive; a Sport Mode button activates sharper throttle response and alters the shift map for spirited driving.

FUEL ECONOMY
5 5
No opportunity to measure. Acura recommends premium-grade gas. All RLXs have a capless fuel filler.

RIDE QUALITY
7 7
RLX's ride is generally composed and comfortably absorbent, but can be active on rough pavement. There is no undue pitch or wallow, and only very sharp bumps intrude.

STEERING/HANDLING/BRAKING
7 7
RLX delivers sport-sedan-nimble moves and boasts plenty of high-tech driver-aid features. The 4-wheel steering system enables crisper lane changes on the highway and sharper cornering in tight turns. The Sport Mode button adjusts steering response and optimizes the all-wheel-steering system for performance driving. A "brake hold" button is a clever new feature; pressing it keeps the brakes applied after the driver lifts off the brake pedal after a stop and doesn't release the brakes until the gas pedal is depressed. This is a handy feature for drive-thrus and the like. The Advance Package's "low-speed follow" function works smoothly.

QUIETNESS
8 8
RLX comes standard with active noise cancellation technology that helps minimize ambient noise, and all but the base model come with sound-insulating glass. Wind rush and tire roar are nicely muted. V6 is nearly silent at cruise and sounds rich and refined in fast acceleration.

CONTROLS
7 7
The main gauges are large, clearly marked, and easy to read at a glance. The previous-generation Acura RL had a daunting sea of buttons on the center-stack control panel, but the RLX's touchscreen control system makes for a simpler, less cluttered interface. Buttons and switches are easily accessed, and the touchscreen's functions are intuitive.

DETAILS
8 8
The cabin feels high-tech, contemporary, and very rich. High-quality leather and soft-touch surfaces abound. RLXs equipped with the Technology Package or above come with upgraded perforated-leather seating surfaces that look especially classy. Wood trim inserts break up the monotone surfaces, but some testers found the wood finish to be overly glossy and artificial looking.

ROOM/COMFORT/DRIVER SEATING (FRONT)
8 8
Most adults will find more than enough headroom and legroom. Seats are long-haul comfortable and supportive. Ample adjustments make it simple to dial in a good driving position. Visibility is decent all-around.

ROOM/COMFORT (REAR)
6 6
Acura boasts that RLX has the best rear-seat space among its competition. Legroom and shoulder room are indeed generous, but the sunroof's housing can intrude a bit on headroom for very tall occupants.

CARGO ROOM
4 4
Trunk space is generous, and the aperture is large. A lack of folding rear seat backs is a minor demerit; there is only a small pass-though in the rear-seat center-armrest pocket. Interior small-items storage is better than average. The center console bin is generously sized, and its cleverly engineered center console lid is dual-hinged so it can open from either the driver or passenger side.

VALUE WITHIN CLASS
7 7
Acura's all-new flagship sedan strikes a fine balance between luxury, technology, and invigorating performance, all while maintaining the distinctive character of the Acura brand. The RLX is brimming with available high-tech equipment, including class-exclusive 4-wheel steering. However, since Acura doesn't offer traditional stand-alone options, acquiring some features means stepping up to expensive trim packages. Still, RLX is worth checking out if you're in the market for a premium sedan with an athletic, contemporary personality.

Total Score
74 74
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
GoHawks, you are forgetting your lesson from earlier.
I'm getting better though. I am laughing it off and not engaging him further on the subject. It actually has become a bit entertaining.

I have learned something though and as a result I am shopping for new tires. I am hoping that I can get my 318 HP CTS to be as fast as a 556 HP CTS-V.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by 037
imho the only speed test that matters for regular drivers is the 5-60 as there is hard launch, and thus anyone can reproduce it.

A lot of manual cars lose over .5 seconds just because you don't have a hard clutch drop at like 4,000rpm.
+1.

For most 0-60ph (or 0 to whatever speed) tests, the driver can either do a clutch drop in a MT or brake torquing in an AT. The latter is especially useful for turbocharged cars. However, not all cars allow brake torquing. A lot of recent Honda's and Acura's like the 4G TL and RLX, if you try to brake torque, the car will actually cut power.

It's also good to know that for most mags, when they do 0-60mph tests, they include something called the 1ft roll out. That means the timer doesn't start until the car moves forward by 1ft. That's worth a few 10th's of a second in most cases. I don't think this applies to 5-60mph though.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

to correct my above statement (do not include a hard launch), you are right on point
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Vid

The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
CeEl (02-23-2013), Ken1997TL (02-23-2013), Rocket_man (02-25-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 6:30+ get a thorough explanation of the DVD-Audio system ...
Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Its always nice to see the car in motion and a video review. That being said, he mentions you will be able to play DVD audio discs with the Krell system....I thought that wasn't the case?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Its always nice to see the car in motion and a video review. That being said, he mentions you will be able to play DVD audio discs with the Krell system....I thought that wasn't the case?
Correct, it doesn't support DVD audio... Just like it doesn't have AWD just like you pointed out in the other thread.

I think we are just posting these experiences to show that one can't always take the sales person knowledge for granted...
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

CeEl...Thanks for your post and information. It is pretty sad when a Frenchman in Canada knows more about an Acura product than the people that supposedly trained on how to sell these things! No wonder one guy in the ILX thread is annoyed...He was told the Hybrid version had tilting mirrors, even on the mobile link for Acura, yet it wasn't accurate. It goes to show who are the real car enthusiast....the members of Acurazine!

I should go in the car sales business...then again, I am way too honest *lol*
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

CeEl...Thanks for your post and information. It is pretty sad when a Frenchman in Canada knows more about an Acura product than the people that supposedly trained on how to sell these things! No wonder one guy in the ILX thread is annoyed...He was told the Hybrid version had tilting mirrors, even on the mobile link for Acura, yet it wasn't accurate. It goes to show who are the real car enthusiast....the members of Acurazine!

I should go in the car sales business...then again, I am way too honest *lol*
To be fair, not all sales people are dishonest ... I sometimes think they may be at a disadvantage -- nowadays, it's pretty easy to spend days on learning every little bit there is to know about the one specific car you want -- I would think it's impossible for a sales person to keep up with that, over time, over several different models & years they may be selling.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Fair argument. That being said, while I understand and appreciate that Acura cannot train all their sales members to get up to speed, before making a video and articulating the information about the car, you should at least test it to make sure you are credible. I am not saying this guy was trying to be dishonest, but uninformed which can then cause confusion amongst potential car buyers. I will say that a potential customer should also do his homework and not rely on the car salesman to provide him/her the facts...a well informed customer makes a happy customer.

With anything I buy, I thoroughly analyze all the specs, the reviews and will go an see what I am buying multiple times but I will tell you, when I buy something, I never have buyers remorse or feel I was duped, intentionally, or intentionally.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ Fair argument. That being said, while I understand and appreciate that Acura cannot train all their sales members to get up to speed, before making a video and articulating the information about the car, you should at least test it to make sure you are credible.
I would add that the longer I do it, the harder it gets to remember what changes happened when. Especially mid-cycle changes. Still you are correct, if you're going to make a video, you need to be sure that your facts are correct.

Do you realize that I started making videos like this one back in 2004? At one point I had one for TL, RL, TSX and RSX out there. All self produced and edited with no support (other than the car) from the store.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colin
I would add that the longer I do it, the harder it gets to remember what changes happened when.
...that is because you are getting OLD Colin *LMAO* JUST TEASING in good fun....I didn't want to come across as being an attack on the guy but its just a credibility issue. But then again, who am I kidding, being a weatherman, talk about having no credibility (lol)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

Wink AutoGuide

This week on AutoGuide.com, the 2014 Acura RLX review garnered the most attention.

A new, smaller 3.5-liter V6 engine lives under the hood of the RLX, which got an increase in power and fuel economy, now rated at 310 hp and 20 mpg city, 31 mpg highway.

2nd on the list is a comparison between the Hyundai Veloster Turbo and the Scion tC RS 8.0. The Veloster Turbo offers more power, more torque and better fuel economy, though the Scion has an arguably sportier drive.

Up 3rd is the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportsWagen review. A 2.0-liter turbo diesel engine makes 140 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque, all while achieving 30 mpg city, 42 mpg highway and 34 mpg combined.

The 4th most popular review was of the all new 2013 Land Rover Range Rover. There are 2 engine options for now, a 5.0L V8 that makes 375 hp, while a supercharged 5.0L will deliver 510 hp and a 0-60 time of just 5.1 seconds. A new smaller V6 engine is also going to be available for the Range Rover sometime soon.

Last on the list is the new 2014 Mazda6 Review. Fuel economy is rated at 26 mpg city and a best-in-class 38 mpg highway for a combined 30 mpg. A 2.5-liter gas engine is the only option for now, though a diesel powered 4-cylinder will also be joining the lineup soon.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by CeEl

At 6:30+ get a thorough explanation of the DVD-Audio system ...
lol. He says "... I can only imagine what a DVD-Audio would sound like..." he is right, you can ONLY imagine it.

Brake Hold... I like that feature. I hope that finds its way to the TLX.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 02-25-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
From the auto news thread about the RLX:

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I had a chance to drive an RLX with a tech package today. I also used (in the showroom) an advance package RLX's features.

Here are my thoughts:

Exterior: It looks nice but certainly doesn't stand out. I think it will age well though. Is it flagship material? No. It doesn't have that road presence. The 2nd generation RL didn't either.

Interior: I love it. It was comfortable, familiar and there are numerous improvements that made sense. The MID, HVAC and stereo controls are simplified and make sense. Instead of using three buttons for the MID for example, a simple wheel with the ability to 'click' is done. Similar story for the stereo.

The leather felt good, not too soft or too firm. It was of course perforated, not my preference but that's the path Acura has gone down in the past few years. My TSX wagon's seats have held up nicely but the holes love to pick up stuff over time.

Visibility was excellent, plenty of room everywhere. The backup camera will show your path as you turn the wheel. I've seen this on other vehicles and it's a welcome addition. Also it seemed the camera was of higher image quality than other Acuras.

The ELS sound system was excellent. In the Advance model, the Krell system was phenomenally amazing. I brought in a CD I made with various types of music (Classical, Jazz, 70's rock, techno and even some Puff Daddy), all were 320 kbps rips of the originals.

As for the interior noise level.. it was a tomb. I took the car out for a stretch on I-5 and in my neighborhood there are areas where it is really worn and loud. Others are freshly repaved. The RLX soaked it all up. I drove it with the stereo off and it was very Lexus-like. Tire noise was very hushed. Zero wind noise. It was quite a wake-up to get back into my S2000 afterwards...

How did it drive?

I took it on the backroads, highway and also for some figure eights in a parking lot. It was obviously a front-wheel drive car. But it NEVER felt nose heavy. There was little body lean, almost no understeer. The steering was a bit light but it seemed about right for the intended buyer. Honda took what it learned from the four wheel steering systems in the Prelude (and Accord in Japan) and put it in this car. It does a darn good job.

The throttle was a bit biased towards smooth cruising, sport mode fixed that. Full throttle for freeway merging is a very quiet affair. Oh and the VCM (variable cylinder managment) is of course completely unobtrusive.

Overall, I like it. It felt luxurious, familiar, comfortable. It would make an excellent road trip car for me and the wife. I look forward to trying out the hybrid later this year.

One complaint: Honda is idiotic with their color combinations. Should I want one of these, i'd get the Advance package. I'd love it in Bellanova white with ebony interior. Oh wait, you can't. You can get it in the tech package but not Krell.

Sorry Honda, I don't want Seacoast leather. I had tan in my white '02 RL, been there, done that. And let me guess, Canada will get the combo I want (again!)

8/10

It'll sell well I'm sure. Nice car, it'll impress the folks in the usual demographic and might even be less intimidating since the usual extra features have been simplified.
my response below:

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
i would have to agree with most of this review. i would have liked to have heard the krell system but cannot comment on that.

i had the opportunity this evening to attend a preview event hosted by my dealer for their VIP customers. overall i was impressed with the interior features and the upgrades on all the NOW modern tech goodies which can now compete competently with the other luxury brands. the interior is well layed out and typical of it's intuitive use. there are multiple ways to access the controls for many of the commonly used features (ie stereo).

i'm not sure how many of you have seen the car at night with the lights on...but...i like it. the jeweled eyed headlamps, the LED license plate lights (finally), and the rear tails have an audi like take on them.

the test drive i took was not substantial enough for me to make a judgement since it was cruising around dodging pedestrian traffic with very little open road. hoping to be able to take one out the next time i stop in for service.

the interior definitely IMO has a luxurious feel. the exterior still lacks that WOW factor for me, but overall a very nice car.

my dealer already has 4 of the initial crop of RLXs sold to their new owners before they have even arrived on their lot. so maybe all of those 1G RL owners or early 2G RL owners are looking for something fresh and new. it seems the RLX will have it's market share...how much? time will tell.
to which a couple people replied that the the RLX will flop after a few months of initially decent sales and i replied:

do they have an estimate yet of how many they anticipate will sell?

certainly the RLX will not be the model that is the money maker...the MDX and the redesigned (tastefully we hope) TLX.

it's interesting to observe buying behaviors of non-enthusiasts (folks that probably don't frequent these forums). we focus on the performance, cost, tech gadgets, and looks. it seems the masses all have their deal breakers. some can live with the look of a car, but they are brand loyal. some want space within a certain car size (they are fine with the looks of the car, but space is the deal breaker). some look at the complete pkg and value of the dollar relative to other vehicles. some look exclusively at a fancy badge to pad their ego regardless of looks, cost or value. some will look at MPGs only and not care about the other features of the car. the avg consumer isn't going to know what to do with more than half of the gadgets that are in cars these days and nor will they care. 90% of people treat their cars like an appliance anyway (present company excluded).
and ken1997tl replied to the other doubters and haters:

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Have you driven it?

It has a real luxury feel, both in terms of how it drives and the interior quality. The average person buying these cars doesn't know the difference between FWD/RWD etc. The 4 wheel steering system really does work well up to 8/10th's of the car's handling potential. At 9/10ths it becomes noticeable that it's FWD. But it doesn't matter.

Think about it. It'll be people aged 50+ who want something comfortable, with the toys and the room to take friends and grandkids around. The previous RL didn't do well IMO because of its size.

Now if this were a $80,000+ vehicle, you'd have a point because those are flagship cars, mostly driven by male executives who demand prestige, road presence, performance and luxury.
just wanted to share in this thread since we talking reviews and impressions of the RLX.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 AM

I can't say I disagree with the statements made defending the RLX. The FWD vs RWD should be a non-issue as most people who drive these cars don't push them enough for it to be an issue, but again it comes down to perception.

We can speculate all we want on whether it will sell, but we will have to see. The 2nd gen RL sold very well it's first year or so, and then the decline started.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i think what many haters fail to see is what the masses will buy. enthusiasts are a small group while the general public and even more specifically a particular demographic is the target. the RLX isnt' going to appeal to a younger audience. the tech gadgets might, but the looks or the badge may not.

if acura can manage to keep up with the other luxury makers (short of another tsunami), in terms of styling/design, technology, MPGs etc, then the car should sell itself. acura is trying to basically say hey all of those goodies found in in other brands can be found in our car too at a lower price point give us a chance!!

the 3G TL sold itself when it was released. so did the RSX and the MDX. acura needs to go back to the "build it and they will come" mantra. there are certainly diehard german car lovers out there, but there are diehard japanese import car lovers as well. we'll see how the RLX will sell. the size of the car felt like the size of an A6. definitely a lot bigger than my TL.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM

i think what many haters fail to see is what the masses will buy. enthusiasts are a small group while the general public and even more specifically a particular demographic is the target. the RLX isnt' going to appeal to a younger audience. the tech gadgets might, but the looks or the badge may not.

if acura can manage to keep up with the other luxury makers (short of another tsunami), in terms of styling/design, technology, MPGs etc, then the car should sell itself. acura is trying to basically say hey all of those goodies found in in other brands can be found in our car too at a lower price point give us a chance!!

the 3G TL sold itself when it was released. so did the RSX and the MDX. acura needs to go back to the "build it and they will come" mantra. there are certainly diehard german car lovers out there, but there are diehard japanese import car lovers as well. we'll see how the RLX will sell. the size of the car felt like the size of an A6. definitely a lot bigger than my TL.
I agree, but a few points:

1. The RLX is not going to be much cheaper to deliver the "value" message. The way the RL is priced, it is in 5 series and E class territory.

2. With respect to the 3rd gen TL, that was a beautiful AND more of a youthful design. My brother has an '06 and the car still looks sharp.

3. The MDX sells on value first, and performance second (although it is no slouch)

4. The RSX and Integras while popular, but I personally cheapened the brand. You didn't see sub $20K models on the Lexus showroom floor next to the LS did you? They tried to be all things to all people and in the end it sent a mixed message (I know this isn't a popular perspective here).

I remember when the 2nd gen TL was introduced (about a year or so before I bought mine), the dealer had a waiting list posted on the wall of people who were lined up to get whatever models came in on the next delivery. Some dealers were even adding a "market adjustment" (read: premium) over the MSRP... and getting it!

I remember there was a little bit of that when the 2nd gen RL was introduced where the car was selling close to MSRP, but that didn't last long.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I agree, but a few points:

1. The RLX is not going to be much cheaper to deliver the "value" message. The way the RL is priced, it is in 5 series and E class territory.

2. With respect to the 3rd gen TL, that was a beautiful AND more of a youthful design. My brother has an '06 and the car still looks sharp.

3. The MDX sells on value first, and performance second (although it is no slouch)

4. The RSX and Integras while popular, but I personally cheapened the brand. You didn't see sub $20K models on the Lexus showroom floor next to the LS did you? They tried to be all things to all people and in the end it sent a mixed message (I know this isn't a popular perspective here).

I remember when the 2nd gen TL was introduced (about a year or so before I bought mine), the dealer had a waiting list posted on the wall of people who were lined up to get whatever models came in on the next delivery. Some dealers were even adding a "market adjustment" (read: premium) over the MSRP... and getting it!

I remember there was a little bit of that when the 2nd gen RL was introduced where the car was selling close to MSRP, but that didn't last long.
1) yes, i agree. however you start optioning the 5 series or the e-class....it starts to add up quick. loaded RLX wil be at $60k. certainly i see where if you're gonna spend that kind of money...might as well get the prestige to go with it.

2) and 3) agree.

4) i think acura wanted to get away from the fart can racer boy image with the $25k price range of the RSX and teggy. i can't blame them. so it is unlikely we will see a sport compact coupe anytime soon. however, acura needs to introduce maybe a midsize coupe (CL) again. they lost a lot of buyers who only want a coupe to audi and BMW.

acura is kind of lost in terms of the image as many on this board have mentioned. i think they have resigned themselves to value and luxury (atleast from what i gather from the current marketing campaign).
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM

4) i think acura wanted to get away from the fart can racer boy image with the $25k price range of the RSX and teggy. i can't blame them. so it is unlikely we will see a sport compact coupe anytime soon. however, acura needs to introduce maybe a midsize coupe (CL) again. they lost a lot of buyers who only want a coupe to audi and BMW.

acura is kind of lost in terms of the image as many on this board have mentioned. i think they have resigned themselves to value and luxury (atleast from what i gather from the current marketing campaign).
Don't forget Cadillac either. The CTS Coupe that replaced my RL is considered one if the more striking designs for a coupe.

Rumors are that the next coupe from Cadillac will be the ATS. it should be well received given the acclaim it has received.

Acura needs to realize that a coupe will not be a volume model.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^the CTS-V is quite the looker for cadillac. good looking car, but really not my cup of tea personally. my head turns when i see one. i can always appreciate a nice clean hawt looking car even if i would never own one. it's like art on wheels.

maybe that's why lexus really doesn't have a coupe either (~ to acura, not high volume enough for them to sell it). the LFA doesn't count.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 PM

^^the CTS-V is quite the looker for cadillac. good looking car, but really not my cup of tea personally. my head turns when i see one. i can always appreciate a nice clean hawt looking car even if i would never own one. it's like art on wheels.

maybe that's why lexus really doesn't have a coupe either (~ to acura, not high volume enough for them to sell it). the LFA doesn't count.
Technically they do. The IS-C convertible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)