Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Did you notice that each one is numbered?

LOL....

How very special does that make you feel?
I saw that number printed on the back, but assumed it was just the same number on all copies and made to appear personalized. I know, I'm a cynic. My number is 08-7059. What's yours?
Old 11-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I guess we are all special....I'm No. 07-5452
Old 11-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Pro

Well, there goes my cynicism, right down the drain. From now on, I will always believe and will always feel special!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Pro

Why do you think that, exactly?

Even if it is a poor seller in the North American market, they still have to produce a Legend for other markets, so why not send a few here per year?

Also, as the dollar continues to hold its own, it becomes more viable to send the upscale versions of the Legend to us.

It's viable, but I'm not sure they're inclined. I guess we'll see. Personally, I don't see any identifiable inclination to stop selling them here. If you have any information you can define or disseminate, please let us know.

I'm remembering as I type this how very few of the 4G Legend/RL SH-AWD were being sold the last few years, but they soldiered on with it.

The 2016 cars seem to have an AcuraLink system that moves much faster than our 2014 models, if that's worth anything, or worth considering that perhaps this is how they addressed the issues.

You'll also notice that some well known reviewers who mercilessly panned the AcuraLink system in the 2014 RLX are saying good things about it in the 2016 models, as the basic systems have got faster and as Honda have made it clear that the two screen system was getting rolled out across the lines for a few years.

The NSX Sport Hybrid is the first one-screen AcuraLink that I've seen since the basic idea was created.

If by next year you mean a 2017 model year, then I don't think so.

If you mean 2018, then I think we're going to see a redesign and redeployment, although I think that we can predict that it will continue to be a FWD-bias design for reasons of basic efficiency.
This is an interesting discussion. What the future holds for the RLX. Since none of us [at least as far as anyone has said] really knows it is all just conjecture.

The only facts we do know is (1) Acura hasn't been doing any marketing for the model at all, (2) sales in North America has been very disappointing and (3) the automotive press, for the most part, have said the car is Ok at best [except for a few positive reviews for the Sport Hybrid.]

It would appear from recent history that Acura does know how to market cars --- just see the way the NSX roll out is going so far. Also, they finally seem to have the right in-house talent to build a great car. Once again, see the NSX. Sadly I see no reason to think that that NSX team in Ohio has been assigned to jump on the RLX. For those of you who haven't gotten the APEX magazine, there is 50 pages on the entire NSX team from the designers and engineers to the production and testing team. Even a long detailed description of the "ablation" casting process. The impact of the whole APEX slick magazine is to polish the Acura image and it does a pretty good job of making the NSX the halo model that the Acura brand desperately needs.

Being a glass half full kind of guy, I would normally say that we have a great 2017 MMC coming because Ted Klaus and Michelle Christensen would be on the job since their role in the NSX is finished. Sadly, I really don't think that is going to happen. We may or may not actually see a 2017 RLX at all......remember they didn't produce a 2015 RLX SH[except a few they sold in Canada].

Where I come out on all of this is that it is 50-50 whether Acura is going to completely abandon the RLX. They clearly need to do something. Whether it is price point, poor design, or spotty quality I don't know but putting some lipstick on a pig isn't going to be productive. My thoughts are a new redesigned 2018 model of a sports type luxury sedan with the hybrid system. Meanwhile, by 2018 the TLX will grow some additional size and the PAWS RLX will be history. This allows them the time for reimagine the exterior design and make it more unique and aggressive [a la the A-7], keep the excellent engine and hybrid system they already have and polish up the infotainment system. By making the RLX a performance sports sedan they don't need to try to stay with the conservative luxury sedan image. The enlarged TLX will fill that void.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
APEX replaces Acura STYLE magazine.

In 2006 when I purchased my RL I received a copy of STYLE shortly afterward. It too made no mention of the flagship model, at all.

I wrote to corporate to express my dismay and being a new RL owner and a second Acura owner. I received a canned letter response with a brochure on the RL and "great hopes I would decide to purchase an RL".
Old 11-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Sadly I see no reason to think that that NSX team in Ohio has been assigned to jump on the RLX.
I think some of us have seen signs that Christensen is an American who will be involved with the JDM's team's redesign to better suite American tastes.

But I think it's still going to be a 100% Saiyama car, and I think it's still not coming out until 2018 MY, not 2017.

There are two things that stand out in my mind as things that the visiting teams focused on that I did not understand at the time:

(1)How much reliance on electric power would you buy into?
(2)How can we improve the looks of the car?

Most of what they were asking me made sense because they were focusing on the Sport Hybrid system specifically, how it performed in extreme situations and anything about it that I liked or did not like.

But those two things sort of stood out, in retrospect, as curious and out of sync with other things they were asking.

They even asked me to send them pictures of cars that I thought were good looking.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
Malibu Flyer (11-24-2015), neuronbob (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Interesting discussion. Maybe they should go back and look at exactly what made the 2G Legend such a great car -- looks, great attention to detail, very high quality materials and rock-star reliability -- and update those to current standards with the Sport Hybrid system. For just one example, while it's now been a while since they were side by side, my 2G had really fantastic, deep gloss paint. My TL looks great, but the paint does not seem as clear, deep or smooth as my Legend's (or as a Lexus). I understand the RLX (especially in SH form) is a very nice car (including a lot of these same attributes), but I think there is room for substantial improvement without blowing the lid off the MSRP.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Interesting point, it seems there a few of us that went from the 2010 6MT TL to the RLX. I wonder what the commonality is?

I know this thread is about reviews (which I am still thoroughly enjoying my RLX SHAWD) but I was unsure where to ask 2 questions so......(Apologize in advance for their silliness)

First, with regenerative braking, if you are coming down from a mountain and your battery gauge reads full how does the car know to stop feeding the battery or is there a cutoff for this? Or is it just something where capacity is capacity and it just won't accept any more?

Second, I have noticed that it is relatively easy to break loose on traction with the stock tires and am leaning to Michelin PS2 Supersports in the spring. I am a firm believer in composition over touch patch when it comes to traction and I am not sure how much wider tires would benefit anyway.

Thoughts?
Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ugpo
Interesting point, it seems there a few of us that went from the 2010 6MT TL to the RLX. I wonder what the commonality is?

I know this thread is about reviews (which I am still thoroughly enjoying my RLX SHAWD) but I was unsure where to ask 2 questions so......(Apologize in advance for their silliness)

First, with regenerative braking, if you are coming down from a mountain and your battery gauge reads full how does the car know to stop feeding the battery or is there a cutoff for this? Or is it just something where capacity is capacity and it just won't accept any more?

Second, I have noticed that it is relatively easy to break loose on traction with the stock tires and am leaning to Michelin PS2 Supersports in the spring. I am a firm believer in composition over touch patch when it comes to traction and I am not sure how much wider tires would benefit anyway.

Thoughts?
I have not ever seen the batteries completely full but in general the lithium batteries can't get overcharged so the car probably keeps sending a charge to the battery pack even if they are fully charged.

I am curious what type of road conditions you were on when you broke loose traction. The traction control system should shift the power away from wheels that lose traction. It hasn't happened to me but I live where the roads are dry and paved most of the time. With the stock tires I haven't been able to spin the wheels even when going into sport mode and putting the "gas" pedal to the floor. I'm not a tire expert so others can probably weigh in with more accurate comments on different tires than the stock Michelins.
The following users liked this post:
Ugpo (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I have not ever seen the batteries completely full but in general the lithium batteries can't get overcharged so the car probably keeps sending a charge to the battery pack even if they are fully charged.
I think the original question had to do with a fear that the motors would no longer provide the usual braking energy if the batteries were full.

There is a point at which the motors stop charging the batteries.

But the electric motors will continue to provide braking energy even if they are no longer charging the batteries.
Ugpo (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Grandpa

I have noticed that it is relatively easy to break loose on traction with the stock tires....

If you're in Sport Mode + First Gear and you're loading the clutch or converter, then you're going to get wheelspin.

Is that what you're doing, or are you talking about a skidpad kind of event?

In a skidpad kind of situation, the car will eventually give up and make you go off course, but only after it sees significant slip angles at all corners...significant slip angles.

As you get close to the limits of adhesion, the car sends the two rear motors into a search mode where they're switching quickly left/right to try to keep the nose approximately where your steering angle indicates you probably want it to be.

You can tell that it is happening, because it is within human perception limits...you just have to believe that the car is doing the right thing under the circumstances, and go with it.

However, when you begin to perceive that, you are about to reach the limit, and you should think of a way not to do whatever it was that you did to cause that.

If you're trying to get down the Chute at Summit Point, in other words, you're not going to get through Turn 5 at more than 50 mph in this big, honking, huge beast, SW-AWD or not. So don't try it.

:-)

If you're in snow or rain, the car will allow a mild drift if it believes that is the safest way to sort of four-wheel glide through an event. I'm not sure I'd want to try to change what the car is doing in those situations.
Ugpo (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Grandpa

Sometimes I just talk too much.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
George, the specific tire compound in the OEM tires suck and will break loose easily..

you talked about every point, except for the rubber compound.....
which is why Ugpo wants to try a different tire in the spring time
Ugpo (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by justnspace
George, the specific tire compound in the OEM tires suck and will break loose easily..

you talked about every point, except for the rubber compound.....
which is why Ugpo wants to try a different tire in the spring time
One thing always leads to another, though.

You don't want to change the limits of adhesion so much that the car's in a close hauled heel instead of a slide.

That makes for a measure of unpredictability insofar as the car's reactions go, unless you want to start modifying the suspension, too.

If you're just switching to something close to what the summer tyres option would be from Honda, that's one thing. But if you go much beyond that, you're going to start feeling tempted to do other things as well.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

I like getting 65,000 miles out of a set of tyres, and 31.3 mpg to boot.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

I think the original question had to do with a fear that the motors would no longer provide the usual braking energy if the batteries were full.

There is a point at which the motors stop charging the batteries.

But the electric motors will continue to provide braking energy even if they are no longer charging the batteries.
Thank you, I figured as much but wanted to be sure. I see in retrospect I should have reworded my question but you answered it spot on.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

It happens when I am just leaving a fairly sharp turn at speed that seems to find a torque steer affect. In the TL the car would hold neutral and stay planted while the RLX seems to to spot spin while the TCS tries to make up its mind. That's why I think its the rubber. Although George does make a good point in that maybe this car isn't meant for that. Still, it is quite fun! We have a hwy called the Coq. (pronounced coke), which has a speed limit of 120 (kph not mph, sorry) where there are some sweeping turns where the car does stay confident. Looking forward to next summer with this RLX.

George, you have given me some unconsidered variables to think about, thanks for the thoughts.
George Knighton (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Grandpa

Anytime you want too much to think about, you just let me know.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This guy gets the Sport Hybrid. Top Gear Phillipines.

The following 6 users liked this post by neuronbob:
bronx1480 (12-21-2015), hondamore (12-21-2015), Malibu Flyer (12-21-2015), pgeorg (12-21-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (12-23-2015), TSX69 (12-21-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
It happens when I am just leaving a fairly sharp turn at speed that seems to find a torque steer affect. In the TL the car would hold neutral and stay planted while the RLX seems to to spot spin while the TCS tries to make up its mind. That's why I think its the rubber. Although George does make a good point in that maybe this car isn't meant for that. Still, it is quite fun! We have a hwy called the Coq. (pronounced coke), which has a speed limit of 120 (kph not mph, sorry) where there are some sweeping turns where the car does stay confident. Looking forward to next summer with this RLX.

George, you have given me some unconsidered variables to think about, thanks for the thoughts.
I'll enter a vote for this car not being particularly solid in turns. It has a marked understeer that can be dangerous at high speeds. At under 70MPH, it is fine, generally, but here is a story that happened to me. On one of my initial drives, I entered an area where the traffic entered a left turn lane and all cars proceeded to make a slow speed 90 degree left. A truck has left some fine mud and rounded gravel on the surface. As I proceeded at a very moderate speed - about 20-25MPH, The 2016 RLX SH-AWD fishtailed half way through the turn! No other vehicle making this turn lost traction - at least to my eyes. It does not make me feel particularly confident with a winter arriving (if it ever cools off in Virginia!) We'll see- but even if the OEM tires are not the best, with under 1000 miles on them, they should be stable. I love the car, but it has shortcomings!
pgeorg (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by hkinva
I'll enter a vote for this car not being particularly solid in turns. It has a marked understeer that can be dangerous at high speeds. At under 70MPH, it is fine, generally, but here is a story that happened to me. On one of my initial drives, I entered an area where the traffic entered a left turn lane and all cars proceeded to make a slow speed 90 degree left. A truck has left some fine mud and rounded gravel on the surface. As I proceeded at a very moderate speed - about 20-25MPH, The 2016 RLX SH-AWD fishtailed half way through the turn! No other vehicle making this turn lost traction - at least to my eyes. It does not make me feel particularly confident with a winter arriving (if it ever cools off in Virginia!) We'll see- but even if the OEM tires are not the best, with under 1000 miles on them, they should be stable. I love the car, but it has shortcomings!
I once had this very same experience with a light mist on a very smooth worn down road surface at a similar speed. The traction control caught things, but the over driving of the outside rear wheel I am sure was the cause. Just a weird thing about the drive train, but now that I know it can be susceptible to that kind of potential thing, I have never experienced it again because I just coast or lightly accelerate through those kinds of situations. Keeping it in eco helps because the sport mode is so direct and intense in the throttle input with all guns blazing (4 motors).

I still get a kick every time I have the brake hold on and in either eco or sport modes when I "have" to jackrabbit the start at a light. I wonder what our cars sound like from the outside since we only hear faint intake noise from inside.
pgeorg (12-23-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid

I still get a kick every time I have the brake hold on and in either eco or sport modes when I "have" to jackrabbit the start at a light. I wonder what our cars sound like from the outside since we only hear faint intake noise from inside.
In sport mode, it is, what I like to refer to as my 911 in the trunk! The sound makes me smile every time. It does seem to me that, since the drive train is digitally set, they could have mods for this to help with the handling. Sport mode effects only the shifting AFAIK, and not the suspension and thus the handling as one would expect. At most speeds it is fine.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by hkinva
...The 2016 RLX SH-AWD fishtailed half way through the turn!
A reporter who said basically exactly what you said is what caused me to take to the skidpad to see if I could understand what the car does at the limit.

I was never able to replicate the fishtail that he and you experienced; however, I definitely feel the rapid left/right switching that the car uses to keep itself on a set path and search for traction.

In a slightly different way, you can feel this in a powerful FWD or AWD car with an LSD on the nose. It searches for (or you have to search for) traction when you're in a corner at the limit.

It's funny watching a video of a guy at Thunderhill or an H1 car in a Honda Challenge race, and he's sort of see-sawing the steering wheel in short motions. That's what's going on: He's at the limit and searching for traction.

Oops. Got off track again.

Anyway, I can't get my car to fishtail. I believe you two that it can and I guess I'm lucky that I just haven't been able to get the car to do it.
pgeorg (12-25-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I've experience the sensation being discussed on icy roads, but wouldn't categorize it as fishtailing. The torque vectoring gives the sensation that the car is rotating around a point in the center of the car BUT in doing so it NEVER lets the rear of the car go beyond the direction of the intended line. That is, the car simply gets pointed in the direction that you want to go earlier than you expect and you simply accelerate away. It is a "different" feeling than a non-torque vectoring car, but is certainly not "fishtailing" which suggests that the rear of the car has swung out beyond the intended line requiring corrective steering.

That is my experience and my two cents.
The following 4 users liked this post by hondamore:
George Knighton (12-24-2015), neuronbob (12-25-2015), pgeorg (12-24-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, it shocked me that the rear wheels actually got loose at such a low speed, even in a slick situation. Maybe my car is defective. I am very used to all wheel drive in the conventional, German engineered sense and I believe that sure footed handling is not the intent of this car's engineering, but rather it is to compensate for the heavy battery pack. I drive it every day on twisty roads and try to push its limits from time to time, but it is far more nerve racking than the absolute precise steering of the Germans. I love the comfort and so many things about it but every vehicle has strengths and weaknesses. The plusses far outweigh the minuses, IMO
Old 12-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I will attempt to clarify my statement. I would not characterize the experience I had going into a Home Depot parking lot at about 25 mph on a very slight damp surface that was slightly off camber and worn very smooth from traffic as a "fishtail". I would describe it as a surprising momentary loss of traction. You know "lose is fast and tight is slow" in NASCAR terms? It definitely was not screwed down as normal, but I think it was surface related and not necessarily drive train related. My guess was that the over driving of the outside wheel created additional yaw effect, which pushed the rear out of the intended turning line, but I doubt it moved more than a few inches, and it was just for a moment.
pgeorg (12-25-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 07:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Wfyi

Recalling a little history, Honda's Acura division was the 1st Japanese luxury automaker to roll tires upon American soil in 1986. The brand's flaghip Legend sedan convinced buyers of European and American luxury brands to embrace Honda's renowned quality and reliability in a more spacious package. After the onslaught of Lexus/Infiniti, and a switch to RL/RLX nomenclature, sales tumbled - posting only 120 units in November (2,036 YTD, down 34% from the same period in 2014). Cadillac sold ten times as many XTS sedans... Time in the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid convinces me the car has the chops to be a real contender.

It may appear as a glorified Accord, but the RLX is much more than that. It's larger, and significantly so, dominating driveways with a long arching body highlighted by Acura's satin chrome grille, jewel Eye LED headlamps, strongly-formed front fenders, and a rounded rump with LED taillamps. It plants the road with 19" alloys, a dominating presence wherever it rolls, but maintains the simplicity appreciated by Acura owners.

That's also true of the comfortable interior. 5 passengers stretch out in leather - heated/ventilated up front and heated in the rear. Drivers tap a heated steering wheel, head-up display, and electronic push-button gear selector. The Krell audio system with 14 speakers sounds good when cranked, but lacks the definition of other high-end systems at lower volumes. Rear sunshades and power sunroof filter light and air.

For some reason, I didn't level expletives at the RLX's infotainment system quite as much this time. Don't get me wrong; I still think the 2-screen arrangement is decrepit, yet I've learned to connect iThings through Bluetooth and USBs, scroll through satellite radio stations as if an Intel 286 is in the dashboard, and plot navigation when it's not updating for 10 minutes. It's complete nonsense. Honda's latest systems are dramatically improved, so there's hope.

Until then, stay safe with comprehensive safety systems like Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist, Collision Mitigation braking, and blind spot detection. Around-view cameras and front seatbelt pre-tensioners, that anticipate crashes and cinch pre-emptively, go further.

While competitors gun it out with potent V8 engines, Acura sticks with a V6 - albeit 1 "supercharged" with an efficiently smooth hybrid system. The powertrain combines a 3.5-liter V6 with a 7-speed dual clutch transmission, and 1.3-kWh lithium-ion battery pack for 377 horsepower. The gas engine drives the front wheels while twin electric motors turn the rear. This gives the car near instantaneous torque transfer. Fuel economy rates 28/32-MPG city/hwy.

Acura's flagship sedan would benefit from a sophisticated electronic suspension like Mercedes' air system or GM's Magnetic Ride Control. Real time damping would transform the ride quality from thump-a-bump to hushed silk without heaving in turns. The right bones are in place, but fall shy for a true luxury flagship.

The RLX is a fine luxury car that needs an identity and a little polish. Sales could only go up with "L E G E N D" chromed across the decklid. Trash the 2-screen frustration system, add electronic chassis control, and Acura's finest would give grief to the Buick LaCrosse, Hyundai Genesis, Lexus GS Hybrid, and Cadillac XTS. Prices start at $54,450, but came to $66,890 in loaded Sport Hybrid trim.

Storm Forward!

Contact Casey at AutoCasey@aol.com and follow him on Twitter: @AutoCasey.

2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid

5-passenger, AWD sedan

Powertrain: 377hp Li-Ion batteries, 3.5-liter V6,

7-spd transmission

Suspension f/r: Ind/Ind

Wheels f/r: 19"/19" alloy

Brakes f/r: regen disc/disc

Must-have features: Luxury, MPGs

Fuel economy: 28/32 mpg city/hwy

Assembly: Sayama, Japan

Base/as-tested price: $54,450/66,890

The following 7 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (12-28-2015), neuronbob (12-28-2015), nist7 (03-05-2016), pgeorg (12-28-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (12-28-2015), sooththetruth (01-17-2016), wstr75 (12-28-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
This guy must have been reading my posts.

Gosh-diggly-darn-it, this car is NOT a glorified Accord, and thank you for saying so!

I would be super-happy with Cadillac's Mag Ride control on my Sport Hybrid, and even better if it's adjustable just like on my Cadis. Do it, Acura, we know you can. That function on my Cadis is one of my favorite features and something we Americans got right .

....and hell yes rebadge it Legend. But of course, it won't happen.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
hondamore (01-06-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (12-28-2015), wstr75 (12-28-2015)
Old 01-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

This is the most enthusiastic review I have read....

Torque News Best Cars of the Year-2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid - Torque News
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (01-07-2016), hondamore (01-06-2016), pgeorg (01-07-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I lived this....

2016 Acura RLX Hybrid remains missing in action for most | Examiner.com
Old 01-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I do not believe this review has been posted....

2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid Review & Test Drive
Old 01-07-2016, 07:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
I do not believe this review has been posted....

2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid Review & Test Drive
These reviews might indicate how the SH-AWD launch in 2014 could have been different if Acura had gotten cars out for professional reviews, IMO. (Of course, then there wouldn't have been any stock to sell to the hoards of buyers driven to dealerships by the great reviews.)
Old 01-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

The data is off in the write up. The 0-60 is NOT 5.8 seconds. With the sport mode, M1 and brake hold engaged, it is 4.89 seconds! Anyone can repeat that experience with that engagement process. You just have to be on a good surface so you don't lose time to wheel spin and you are good to go. I don't have an appropriate GoPro mount to locate my camera inside the car and visually demonstrate the performance, but anybody else can do it easily. If you are in sport mode and just hit the gas, you are starting out in 2nd gear, thus the reported performance difference. Someone should have told them that before testing.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^^ A big difference! Maybe Acura's marketing department should have shown them how to get the most out of the car. Or you!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:46 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
^^ A big difference! Maybe Acura's marketing department ....
They've moved on. I'm sure we'll get a few of the RLX Sport Hybrid every once in a while.

As long as the KC1 is in production and the parts are around, we'll get an occasional KC2.

But no hype, no training...it's a super secret car for people in the know!

LOL.... :-)

American marketing has moved on to the NSX Sport Hybrid, and maybe we'll get an occasional RLX Sport Hybrid mention through them.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
^^ A big difference! Maybe Acura's marketing department should have shown them how to get the most out of the car. Or you!
Out of curiosity last night I used a speed app on my phone and did two quick 0-60 runs on a deserted road to see if I could repeat the 5.8 measurement by the magazine reviewer and back up my other comment. The app recorded a 5.77 sec 0-60 while in sport mode and just hitting the gas. When I did the procedure of sport mode, M1, and brake hold, then hitting the gas it showed 4.86 seconds because is started out in 1st gear. Amazingly accurate for an app and an amazing car.
The following 3 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
hondamore (01-08-2016), Malibu Flyer (01-08-2016), pgeorg (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The "Sport Mode, M1, Brake Hold" technique for launching the car should be on a LARGE sign that is WELDED to every key that is handed to a reviewer of the RLX Sport Hybrid. Failure to do so constitutes a MAJOR fail by the marketing department at Acura.

If that 4.86 time for the Sport Hybrid was "out there" amongst the automotive media, the car might get a little more love and a little more coverage. Instead Acura is sitting back and letting a pretty "meh" time of 5.8 define the car.

My own experience mirrors RLX-Sport Hybrid's...the car is a rocket when it launches in first gear and sport mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
pgeorg (01-08-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
The "Sport Mode, M1, Brake Hold" technique for launching the car should be on a LARGE sign that is WELDED to every key that is handed to a reviewer of the RLX Sport Hybrid. Failure to do so constitutes a MAJOR fail by the marketing department at Acura.

If that 4.86 time for the Sport Hybrid was "out there" amongst the automotive media, the car might get a little more love and a little more coverage. Instead Acura is sitting back and letting a pretty "meh" time of 5.8 define the car.

My own experience mirrors RLX-Sport Hybrid's...the car is a rocket when it launches in first gear and sport mode.
Ironically my business partner's MB S550 4Matic is supposed to be just as heady at 4.8-4.9 seconds. He thinks the Sport Hybrid feels faster where his feels like a locomotive by comparison to me. Must be the VTEC in the ICE motor of the SH that gives that perception even though statistically they are neck and neck. None of this matters in the real world, but for discussion purposes it is amusing.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Today in MSN Autos, Acura is the spotlight brand. And they omitted the RLX in the model lineup (it is in the photo gallery). Yet the ZDX, TSX and TL are listed. A snub to Acura? Probably not, but more likely too many 'X' models for an web page intern to reconcile. You choose alphabet soup for the naming convention of your models and you get soupy acknowledgement from the market.

Attached Thumbnails Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)-lineup.jpg  
pgeorg (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
msn auto, that's why.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Out of curiosity last night I used a speed app on my phone and did two quick 0-60 runs on a deserted road to see if I could repeat the 5.8 measurement by the magazine reviewer and back up my other comment. The app recorded a 5.77 sec 0-60 while in sport mode and just hitting the gas. When I did the procedure of sport mode, M1, and brake hold, then hitting the gas it showed 4.86 seconds because is started out in 1st gear. Amazingly accurate for an app and an amazing car.
Which app are you using to measure 0-60 performance?

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)