2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I am very glad to be wrong! I'm glad my impressions were incorrect and more RLX-Sport Hybrids will eventually dot the land!!!!! That is great news!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:03 PM
MNH
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I actually read this press release a few days ago, but was still concerned that the Facebook comments along with those of the corporate tech were perhaps signaling a change of direction.

I'm going to wait through at least the summer to see if the SH does indeed reappear before purchasing my next vehicle...
Old 04-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
So I am glad to know that my 2014 Sports Hybrid is only one model year old!!!!

Perhaps I should say that I have a 2014/15 Sport Hybrid instead of a 2014.

Let's see how the geniuses in the Marketing Dept. approach the release of the 2016 Sport Hybrid. Perhaps a few slick TV commercials followed only a 100 cars to distribute to their 300+ dealers. Sales will really sizzle then!
Old 04-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Originally Posted by MNH
I actually read this press release a few days ago, but was still concerned that the Facebook comments along with those of the corporate tech were perhaps signaling a change of direction.

I'm going to wait through at least the summer to see if the SH does indeed reappear before purchasing my next vehicle...
^^You're right, only when the 2016 Sport Hybrids start showing up on dealer lots will the debate of their existence be settled. That said, it is possible that rumors of a "by order only" sales strategy for the Sports Hybrid may be true and they will only show up at the dealer once they have a buyer in place. We'll have to wait and see later this year... of course, waiting is something we are very accustomed to with the RLX Sport Hybrid.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
That's good news. If Acura had killed a car this good, I would have had serious doubts about their sanity.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

The 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid, which features a 3-motor Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system with electrically powered torque vectoring, will go on sale in early June.

This is what I don't understand, the other day I asked what happened to the SH, this was Acura's reply:
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)-sport-hybrid.jpg  
Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I am very glad to be wrong! I'm glad my impressions were incorrect and more RLX-Sport Hybrids will eventually dot the land!!!!! That is great news!
So does this mean that you won't be buying another Sport Hybrid now?
Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Haven't been around much this week because of work but wanted to pop in to say:

Yay! More (non-beta tester) Hybrid owners are coming! Sounds as official as we'll get from Acura.

This means the 2014 leftovers are going to be a stunning steal for some lucky bastards. Go git 'em!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hddnav
So does this mean that you won't be buying another Sport Hybrid now?
Absolutely! They will have to be an even better deal when the 16s arrive but at $55k deal price now, that is about as good as it is going to get, other than the $54,500 I paid on 12/31/14. Anyone paying more than $55k now would be stupid. If you are on the fence about getting one, get the pole out of your ass, put your shoes on, and run to find one! Danger close for missing an awesome car at a ridiculous price.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 AM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
So is the 2016 RLX going to look the same or is it getting a MMC refresh?
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 07Acuradude
I believe it is just a mild content enhancement and not a visual enhancement (addition of Acurawatch, etc...)
Old 05-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 07Acuradude
No refresh for 2016, but if Acura cares the least bit about saving this sinking ship, they'd better be planning a massive 2017 MMC.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by MNH
I'd likely already be in a GS350 except for the fact that I feel it is somewhat underpowered and not very fuel efficient.

Wow, that entire post has mirrored my own thoughts, including this one line about the GS. But now that there will be a 2016 Sports Hybrid I am intrigued as to what will be coming, and I expect there will be improvements in the car, ESPECIALLY IF THE'RE ARE MADE IN MARYSVILLE, OH, and even if they're not, because the appreciation of the dollar (along with the intentional devaluation of the yen) may have made a Japanese constructed vehicle competitive in this market. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing the new pricing, but since they have not raised the pricing on the RLX Advance, I suspect the SH AWD will not go up in price, either. But the new RLX TECH now has LKAS, and that wasn't true in 2014. Quietly, Acura is adding value to it's vehicles.

I will bet the choices for interior trim will be different in the 2016's, and I bet the ride will be different, softer is my prediction, which will make the owners of the current SH AWD even happier they didn't wait. Maybe they'll have found a way to eke out some trunk space, as well.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Absolutely! They will have to be an even better deal when the 16s arrive but at $55k deal price now, that is about as good as it is going to get, other than the $54,500 I paid on 12/31/14. Anyone paying more than $55k now would be stupid. If you are on the fence about getting one, get the pole out of your ass, put your shoes on, and run to find one! Danger close for missing an awesome car at a ridiculous price.
Are you talking about the SH AWD Tech? Or the Advance? No one is negotiating less than $60K on the Advance with me, so far.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sooththetruth
Are you talking about the SH AWD Tech? Or the Advance? No one is negotiating less than $60K on the Advance with me, so far.
Tech. I don't need or really want the Advance options. I don't turn on the Lane Assist as I find it annoying. I'm considering running up to Boston to look at the grey Tech they have there, and then buying it. If I do, I will name it #2 as I am an Austin Powers fan.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Parking sensors, folding mirrors, and ventilated front seats were enough for me to make the bump to Advanced. Especially the ventilated front seats. I never realized how much driving fatigue is created just from your natural body heat after sitting in the seats for awhile, especially on road trips. I always feel refreshed when I get out of my RLX after having had the Ventilation on. Makes a huge difference for me at least.

Also really glad to see the 2016 SH announced! That's a good sign that come September 2016 and my lease is due, there may be a 2017 already out, hopefully with even less bugs, even better quality build, and hopefully a few more features added. And Inl can finally step into the SH.

Based on George's comments earlier about the full MMC/Refresh not coming till 2018, I am not going to wait for that. I'm done buying first time new releases of a new gen car after my experience with the 2014 RLX. Im sticking to buying the last model of a gen whereby they've worked out all the issues, bugs, kinks, etc. I want my "TL" experience back whereby it was solid and nary an issue at all.

Beta testing is for computer software, not $60k+ cars. If Acura wants to create a "real" beta testing program whereby testers are given the car for 3-6months for free to "test" and "report" issues, then sure, count me in! But I work too damn hard to pay $980 a month to get nothing in return except for frustration.

Here's to the 2017 SH! I'll be waiting!
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
2011TL (05-02-2015), bronx1480 (05-12-2015), NWRL (05-06-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
Also really glad to see the 2016 SH announced!
Agreed whole-heartedly!!!

Although Acura's getting their butt's kicked in the market at that level, it's safe to say that we're all fans here with regards to their particular blend of technology, pricing, sensibility, and brand reliability.

To see them thoroughly abandon the Sport Hybrid would have been the equivalent of watching the Titanic abandon ship. Any which way you spin it, it would have been a really ugly situation.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Parking sensors, folding mirrors, and ventilated front seats were enough for me to make the bump to Advanced. Especially the ventilated front seats. I never realized how much driving fatigue is created just from your natural body heat after sitting in the seats for awhile, especially on road trips. I always feel refreshed when I get out of my RLX after having had the Ventilation on. Makes a huge difference for me at least.

Also really glad to see the 2016 SH announced! That's a good sign that come September 2016 and my lease is due, there may be a 2017 already out, hopefully with even less bugs, even better quality build, and hopefully a few more features added. And Inl can finally step into the SH.

Based on George's comments earlier about the full MMC/Refresh not coming till 2018, I am not going to wait for that. I'm done buying first time new releases of a new gen car after my experience with the 2014 RLX. Im sticking to buying the last model of a gen whereby they've worked out all the issues, bugs, kinks, etc. I want my "TL" experience back whereby it was solid and nary an issue at all.

Beta testing is for computer software, not $60k+ cars. If Acura wants to create a "real" beta testing program whereby testers are given the car for 3-6months for free to "test" and "report" issues, then sure, count me in! But I work too damn hard to pay $980 a month to get nothing in return except for frustration.

Here's to the 2017 SH! I'll be waiting!
The Tech does have folding mirrors too.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
RLX Sport-Hybrid - That grey tech SH-AWD you mention is at Acura of Boston, my home dealership for 27 years. If you come to look at or buy the car, message me and I'll meet you over there and buy you a cup of coffee. Anyone considering buying a second SH-AWD deserves at least that!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsmith
RLX Sport-Hybrid - That grey tech SH-AWD you mention is at Acura of Boston, my home dealership for 27 years. If you come to look at or buy the car, message me and I'll meet you over there and buy you a cup of coffee. Anyone considering buying a second SH-AWD deserves at least that!
You have a deal! My schedule just got a little nuts so I can't head up there this weekend. If I can catch a break I may do it next week or the following. I will PM you when I do. Thanks for the offer.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 AM
MNH
Intermediate

I concur entirely.

Along with the specific driver assist tech I mentioned earlier (adaptive cruise and lane departure assist), I'll never purchase another vehicle without ventilated front seats. It makes a significant difference, in my experience, even when only implemented using fans and not directly ducted cool air from the A/C (though clearly the latter is preferable).

In this class of car, and since I have to deal with nasty New England winters, a heated steering wheel is also a requirement for me.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I second the need for a heated steering wheel. On a -17 F morning this winter, a heated steering wheel would have been great.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
From the official Honda accessory store. I feel pretty confident its coming!

Old 05-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Really close call

Long time reader (just trying to track the SH-AWD)...and I almost made a $60k mistake based on what I had read lately...

After driving the 2014 PAWS I was intrigued about the new SH-AWD (I owned a 2005 RL and loved the way it handled). But after 1.5 years of nothing, I was discouraged.

Then after the local dealership only got one 2014 hybrid with tech package (and I REALLY wanted the advance package, plus the heated driving wheel that I was sure was coming in 2015), I got really discouraged.

After reading the post re: the April 23rd FaceBook post, I almost gave up.

Then I called my Acura dealer and when the rep told me he couldn't find anything on the hybrid, I did give up.

After more than two years of waiting for the SH-AWD, I came to the conclusion that the hybrid was dead. So I ordered the PAWS...scheduled to be transferred to Cleveland today.

However, over the weekend, I saw the press release with the note about the "available in June" and immediately got hold of someone higher up at the dealership who could tell me once and for all -- does the darn car exist?? Will there be a 2016 SH-AWD? Is it possible that a major car company's marketing is really THIS BAD!?!

His answer this morning was yes. I don't think he can actually order it just yet, but he promises I'll have the first one into Cleveland. He expects it mid-July.

Boy, this car had better be worth the wait. To think I could have bought a PAWS two years ago...not ideal, but at least it is a real car.
The following users liked this post:
MNH (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterZDX
No refresh for 2016, but if Acura cares the least bit about saving this sinking ship, they'd better be planning a massive 2017 MMC.
I have mixed feelings on this.

The car is so invisible in the market that an MMC might just result in more money being wasted.
MisterZDX (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 06:04 PM
MNH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by anakin44011
Long time reader (just trying to track the SH-AWD)...and I almost made a $60k mistake based on what I had read lately...

After driving the 2014 PAWS I was intrigued about the new SH-AWD (I owned a 2005 RL and loved the way it handled). But after 1.5 years of nothing, I was discouraged.

Then after the local dealership only got one 2014 hybrid with tech package (and I REALLY wanted the advance package, plus the heated driving wheel that I was sure was coming in 2015), I got really discouraged.

After reading the post re: the April 23rd FaceBook post, I almost gave up.

Then I called my Acura dealer and when the rep told me he couldn't find anything on the hybrid, I did give up.

After more than two years of waiting for the SH-AWD, I came to the conclusion that the hybrid was dead. So I ordered the PAWS...scheduled to be transferred to Cleveland today.

However, over the weekend, I saw the press release with the note about the "available in June" and immediately got hold of someone higher up at the dealership who could tell me once and for all -- does the darn car exist?? Will there be a 2016 SH-AWD? Is it possible that a major car company's marketing is really THIS BAD!?!

His answer this morning was yes. I don't think he can actually order it just yet, but he promises I'll have the first one into Cleveland. He expects it mid-July.

Boy, this car had better be worth the wait. To think I could have bought a PAWS two years ago...not ideal, but at least it is a real car.
Well if this isn't the proverbial insider info we've been waiting for I'll eat my entire wardrobe (which is admittedly small).

LOL

Great info, anakin! And congrats on the way you were just able to snatch victory (or an RLX-SH, as it were) from the PAWS of defeat...

I'm looking forward to seeing one of these newest gen mythical SH beasts up close and in person one of these months. If there are enough built (in Advance trim; can't believe that 75%+ aren't built this way) so that a few find themselves parked at a dealership near me, that is...
Old 05-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Another Clevelander! Yay! I won't be the only one here with a Sport Hybrid anymore!

And yes, it's worth the wait.

Last edited by neuronbob; 05-04-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by anakin44011
IMHO (and apparently the opinion of the nine other SH-AWD owners on this forum), it is well worth the wait. I, too, waited two years, got in line first at my dealer, and still smile every time I get in the car. It is a fabulous piece of engineering.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Another Clevelander! Yay! I won't be the only one here with a Sport Hybrid anymore!

And yes, it's worth the wait.
I echo what other Sport Hybrid owners say....it is worth the wait, IMHO.

I also waited almost two years after the PAWS came out for mine and put an additional 25,000 miles on my '05 RL. Still very pleased with my decision.

Look forward to hearing your feelings this summer, anakin.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Time for me to chime in. You are going to love it! Just this evening I was on a two lane road and "had" to pass a slow moving car (yes in a legal zone Uncle George), and I accelerated so fast I almost rear ended the car in front of me as it dropped 4 gears, brought up the dilithium crystals to full power, and suddenly I was closing in on 90 mph from 40. If that does not put a smile on your face, RIP. I wont report the shenanigans I did today on a 2 mile stretch of open highway with nobody around.

Buy the SH as it will be one of the best decisions you make in a long time. Just keep it as clean as I do!
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
...and suddenly I was closing in on 90 mph from 40.
In Sport Mode, it's astonishing, and you have to be careful not to exceed all reason.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
In Sport Mode, it's astonishing, and you have to be careful not to exceed all reason.
Just the twilight zone:
Old 05-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
^^I agree with George and that is why my wish for the 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid is for Acura to get a few of them in the hands of Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motor Trend etc so they can do a proper test with these amazing cars (as opposed to the "first drive" quickie tests done earlier and primarily with the preproduction version). Once the public sees the kind of performance that the Sport Hybrid is capable of, maybe a few more people will take notice and even line up to buy one.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
^^I agree with George and that is why my wish for the 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid is for Acura to get a few of them in the hands of Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motor Trend etc so they can do a proper test with these amazing cars (as opposed to the "first drive" quickie tests done earlier and primarily with the preproduction version). Once the public sees the kind of performance that the Sport Hybrid is capable of, maybe a few more people will take notice and even line up to buy one.
I think we are all very fortuneate to be able to enjoy these wonderfully engineered cars and you are right that it is a shame that more people don't know about it. Truly Acura stupidity. Maybe we can get our friends at the Drive Channel to do a spot light on it?
neuronbob (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Pro

My take is that the main marketing fiasco was in a major part caused by a supply issue. What caused the supply issue, i haven't a clue but I think the reason they didn't do much to show the car to the press was that they didn't have any to sell.....except for the initial 250 cars that a few of us beta testers have.

This caused a downward spiral -- no marketing because too few cars to sell -- slow sales since few knew or could find one to test drive etc. My hope is now that the 2016 model will have more supply availability so they will do more marketing and the pace of sales will be decent. The Sport Hybrid is not intended to be a high volume car. With its price point at the very high end of the brand, Acura is pushing what people will pay for an "Acura". This brand image may change slowly over the next few years. If there is an ample supply of Sport Hybrids and some image polishing marketing that emphasizes the amazing technological advances in the hybrid system and this is followed shortly by a smooth roll out of the NSX, the brand image is likely to improve [not that the botches of recent history present a very high bar]. Acura seems to have had a reasonable success with their meat and potatoes cars....the TLX and MDX. In short, I have some hope for the brand.

In the meantime, I am a very happy Acura beta tester. My confidence in the ability of Acura to stand behind a new car with new technology has paid off. While there is plenty of room for improvements, mostly in the infotainment system, the basic hybrid technology - its handling and power with smoothness, quiet and efficiency has been flawless. I don't suspect the 2016 RLXh will represent much of a change other than a few improvements here and there. I do anticipate that the 2017 MMC will have a more significant level of change. I would suspect, better styling to make the Sport Hybrid more distinctive with major improvements in the infotainment system. Perhaps even a bigger trunk !!
hondamore (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
My take is that the main marketing fiasco was in a major part caused by a supply issue. What caused the supply issue, i haven't a clue but I think the reason they didn't do much to show the car to the press was that they didn't have any to sell.....except for the initial 250 cars that a few of us beta testers have.

This caused a downward spiral -- no marketing because too few cars to sell -- slow sales since few knew or could find one to test drive etc. My hope is now that the 2016 model will have more supply availability so they will do more marketing and the pace of sales will be decent. The Sport Hybrid is not intended to be a high volume car. With its price point at the very high end of the brand, Acura is pushing what people will pay for an "Acura". This brand image may change slowly over the next few years. If there is an ample supply of Sport Hybrids and some image polishing marketing that emphasizes the amazing technological advances in the hybrid system and this is followed shortly by a smooth roll out of the NSX, the brand image is likely to improve [not that the botches of recent history present a very high bar]. Acura seems to have had a reasonable success with their meat and potatoes cars....the TLX and MDX. In short, I have some hope for the brand.

In the meantime, I am a very happy Acura beta tester. My confidence in the ability of Acura to stand behind a new car with new technology has paid off. While there is plenty of room for improvements, mostly in the infotainment system, the basic hybrid technology - its handling and power with smoothness, quiet and efficiency has been flawless. I don't suspect the 2016 RLXh will represent much of a change other than a few improvements here and there. I do anticipate that the 2017 MMC will have a more significant level of change. I would suspect, better styling to make the Sport Hybrid more distinctive with major improvements in the infotainment system. Perhaps even a bigger trunk !!
All excellent points! I remember when Lexus first hit our shores with the LS400 that its price was brought into question. Now you can purchase extraordinarily expensive Lexus cars like the LS Hybrid or in the recent past the LFA, and that was considered ridiculous years ago. Now with Acura bringing the NSX to the land of OZ, hopefully via the yellow brick road, this new halo car will catapult the brand upstream. If so the timing of a "re-launch" of the RLX-SH at the same time would make sense as they could distribute the advertising costs between two models which would make the accountants happy too. I think that when the lint is removed from the dryer, the car reading public will scratch their heads and ask why this awesome car flew under the radar. It is possible that we the betas, will be the ones that the followers will look to for advice as to how we found out about these fabulous cars before they did.

When I was at a Cars & Coffee event over the weekend, several people had very nice things to say about the car, and when they asked for more information, the same response was presented: Wow that is fantastic and I wish I could buy one." Acura should hire us betas to do a video in conjunction with their advertising people as we are the ones who can sell their product better than they can apparently. I am 100% certain that if we all were in one place, and spoke to potential Acura buyers about our cars from an ownership perspective, we would convince the vast majority to go out and buy one. Frankly I do not think they are expensive at all. Maybe that is just my perspective, and it is possible that over time and relative business success I have become desensitized to these things, I would have gladly paid $65,000 as much as $55,000 for the car. Of course paying less is what we all would do, but buying this car was not a stretch for me in any way. One has to consider that many people are stretching and the difference of $100, $200, $300 per month in a car payment is a deal breaker for them. There was a time in my past where breaking past the $400 per month barrier seemed alien to me. I have not forgotten that and know that many people base their decisions solely on those monthly payment figures alone, thus once breached entire model lines are missed just because the price per month was beyond the psychological barrier of a predetermined cost per month. It is like buying a house: If you are looking in a certain price range, a house that you might pull down into the top of your range in the deal will be missed because it was listed $1+ over that search perimeter.

I hope I am making sense.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

All I know, is that the beta test has been successful so far, IMHO.

As far as price, the proper perspective is to consider how much this is than other cars with similar drivetrains. NSX? $150-200k when it comes out. Porsche 918 e-hybrid? $845k. Ferrari LaFerrari? $1.4 million. RLX Sport Hybrid? $65k. My bet is that Acura is losing money on every Sport Hybrid even at MSRP.

Again, Honda's goal is likely to bring this drivetrain tech to the masses at low cost. It'll be in the TLX before you know it, then the MDX if they can get supply issues sorted.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
All I know, is that the beta test has been successful so far, IMHO.

As far as price, the proper perspective is to consider how much this is than other cars with similar drivetrains. NSX? $150-200k when it comes out. Porsche 918 e-hybrid? $845k. Ferrari LaFerrari? $1.4 million. RLX Sport Hybrid? $65k. My bet is that Acura is losing money on every Sport Hybrid even at MSRP.

Again, Honda's goal is likely to bring this drivetrain tech to the masses at low cost. It'll be in the TLX before you know it, then the MDX if they can get supply issues sorted.
I hope so because I will get a new MDX with the EV system immediately.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Pro

Frankly I do not think they are expensive at all. Maybe that is just my perspective, and it is possible that over time and relative business success I have become desensitized to these things, I would have gladly paid $65,000 as much as $55,000 for the car.

I hope I am making sense.
I agree with your comments. Rather than us sell the car to other interested parties, what Acura did do was come out and interview 5-10 of us beta testers to get our suggestions and impressions of the car. I think that this market research will show up in the 2017 MMC.

While most of us betas can easily afford the Sport Hybrid [or other more expensive autos], Acura needs to expand beyond the older affluent Acura/Honda fan boys that most of us are. There is a large market of aging baby boomers who are in a position to buy whatever car they want. The issue that Acura has is that many of these buyers prefer/need to have a "prestige" car [think one of the German brands] that has a better brand imagine that Acura. To sell to that market, Acura has to raise its brand imagine to appeal to them.

Speaking for myself, I don't need to buy a car to project a certain image. The items that appeal to me are the way the car drives, how reliable it is and last if not least is it a good "value". That is what Acura has meant to me. I am not a brand snob. I just got my wife an Audi A-3 because she couldn't find a Acura she liked to replace her TSX...the TLX was too big for her taste and the ILX too milquetoast a drive for her. The Audi is a nice car with plenty of tech that is a kick to drive. It was probably 10-15% more than a comparably equipped ILX [which is about the same size].
Old 05-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy the SH as it will be one of the best decisions you make in a long time. Just keep it as clean as I do!
That's why I need silver. Black is stunning when it is clean. But living in northeast Ohio makes that next to impossible 6+ months out of the year.

Thanks for all the positive reinforcement, guys. Just two more months with the M56x--the LOUDEST car outside of a dragster event. Good riddance.

Quick Reply: 2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)