2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
The reason we may have seen more work on diesels by the German companies could be that Europe, where they sell lots more cars than the Asian companies, is primarily a diesel market. The diesel market in the US is also much smaller percentage wise than Europe. The Germans can spread the development costs over a bigger base, given their larger presence in Europe, while the Asian companies would primarily have only the US market, which is still getting used to diesels.

It will be interesting to see how VW handles future diesel models for the US. Will they be able to make a competitive diesel car for the US market or just stop importing diesels into the US?

BTW - Has anyone made a diesel hybrid? Would pairing a small diesel engine with a electric motors help meet the emission requirements?

Just my
Good news, I think. Glad to hear that VW products alone seem to be culprit.

Report: Volkswagen Alone in Cheating So Far, Testing Shows
Old 11-19-2015, 01:10 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
The whole Volkswagon diesel problem will become a future case study on how to handle or not handle, a corporate/consumer scandal. It will be interesting to see what actions VW takes as things unfold over the next months.

American buyers have become smitten with Audi cars and their sales have been growing pretty fast. How they work on trying to keep their positive brand image will be interesting. If their efforts are as good as how they raised their image over the recent years perhaps Acura should watch carefully. Maybe they can learn something and apply it to raising the RLX's (their FLAGSHIP?) image. Here's hoping. After all "...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".
Old 11-19-2015, 05:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Audi survived the "unintended acceleration" scandal of the early 90's and people are associating the current cheating mostly with the corporate parent Volkswagen. Audi will be fine. Where Acura needs to learn from Audi is in the external design department. Either that, or market the RLX as stealth wealth luxury.....because it is certainly invisible to the buying public.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Audi survived the "unintended acceleration" scandal of the early 90's and people are associating the current cheating mostly with the corporate parent Volkswagen. Audi will be fine. Where Acura needs to learn from Audi is in the external design department. Either that, or market the RLX as stealth wealth luxury.....because it is certainly invisible to the buying public.
Spot on.

My wife and I were waiting for valet to bring my car up at a hotel last weekend, and they had just brought up an S5 (V8) in black. Literally all 5 of the valet guys were drooling over it, and having no shame in being very verbal about it...

"Man...that's the car I want!"

"Yup, that thing is nasty!"

As soon as the driver in the S5 drove off my RLX pulls up right behind it.

"Thank you Mr and Mrs Torres. Have a great evening..."

:|

(insert sad Price-is-Right losing trumpet tune)

Now, first, I'm not looking for attention. I ultimately care about what I feel about a car's looks. I wouldnt have picked the RLX to begin with if it really mattered that much to me. Second, granted the RLX was not designed to be a sexy 2-door sports coupe, but I could have been in any current Acura (ILX, TLX, MDX, RDX) and none of those vehicles would have created that type of instant visual excitement that I witnessed with the S5 and those valet guys. The visual design of that S5 literally sold itself to 5 potential new buyers within seconds. And not a single Audi salesperson to be found. Some of those guys may never be able to afford an S5 (V8), or even an A5 for that matter, but it sold the brand and their design language in seconds.

That is the type of visual excitement Acura needs to learn how to create in their vehicles. They should sell themselves instantly at a single glance. The new NSX definitely hits the mark in that regard. We just need to see more of that trickle down to rest of the fleet....and quickly.

Last edited by holografique; 11-19-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Audi survived the "unintended acceleration" scandal of the early 90's ....
That started in the '80's.

75,000 units sold in 1985.

12,283 units sold in 1991.

So, yes, I guess that's a form of survival. :-)

Two things we seem to have lost sight of.

(1)Aspects of the sudden acceleration case;
*required recalls back to 1978
*are still not fully settled, and are ongoing in civil tort

(2)Despite what German authorities say, remember that the US EPA says it believes it has spotted the same management firmware in computers of Porsche V8 and Audi V8 cars, and [...] their six cylinder Diesel cars.

It's nowhere near done.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Grandpa

This is an Audi that kind of interests me, although it is very different from what I'm driving now.

Very interesting, common sense MMI. (Except that it allows too much connectivity while the car is moving...a dangerous safety problem, IMHO.)

MSRP 58.4 the way I'd want it.

I could deal.
holografique (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ with you on that one George. I actually started looking into the TT some more a few months ago and instantly became enamored with the technology it offers. Low and behold, someone in the building I work at recently got one a a month or so ago as I see it every morning parked in the same spot. It's a very sharp looking car in person (and in pics!).

Great CNET Review (big fan of Brian Cooley and his well balanced reviews). And I absolutely love the technology behind the new TT. Ingenious thinking behind the HVAC controls built directly into the vents themselves! Didn't know that until watching this review. And again that virtual cockpit is slick and looks well thought out both in it's visual and functional design. With that type of dashboard, I could care less about a HUD.

I priced the TT out at $49k and the TTS out at $56k with practically every option available on either model. Even the Convertible only comes in at $53k optioned out. That definitely moves it up my list of contenders for next year...especially with it getting me back to a smaller vehicle and considerably less monthly lease payments

Last edited by holografique; 11-19-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb AutoNews

Unique rear-wheel-drive platforms. Massive investment. A condensed 5-year timetable. Global sales.

That's the bold strategy underpinning Hyundai's newborn Genesis luxury marque. And nearly 30-year-old Acura -- the senior-most of the stand-alone Asian luxury brands -- wants no part of it, says John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda.

Despite decades of muddled brand identity and mixed success with its vehicles, Acura has no plans to borrow a page from Hyundai's playbook, or any other luxury brand's, for that matter.

"They're going to do it the way they need to do it strategically, and it's certainly not going to change our strategy," Mendel told Automotive News at the Los Angeles Auto Show this month.

Instead, Acura needs to play to its own strengths in the crossover market while squarely addressing its weaknesses in sedans, Mendel said. This means resisting calls from dealers to keep up with rival Lexus by adding a bevy of new models or low-volume derivatives to its lineup, and trying to generate more volume and brand cachet from a streamlined lineup of well-made cars.

"I tell them, 'If you had three sedans that sold what Civic and Accord and CR-V sold every month, we wouldn't be having this conversation,'" Mendel said.

Overall, Acura is having a good year in the U.S., with 148,098 vehicles sold through October, putting it in 5th place in the luxury market behind Audi and ahead of Cadillac. But its sales mix is dominated by its 2 crossover models -- the MDX and RDX -- and its midsize TLX sedan, while its small and large sedans are laggards.

Acura General Manager Jon Ikeda has said sedans are a priority that his team is working on right now. The 1st peek at what exactly this means could come as early as January's Detroit auto show.

"We've struggled, candidly, with sedans," Mendel said. Though the recent success of the TLX has been encouraging, he said, the flagship RLX needs fixing.

Acura sold just 3,413 RLXs in 2014, and sales this year are down 35% through October. But volume isn't the only concern.

The full-size luxury sedan segment "doesn't sell a lot of cars," Mendel said "but it tends to define brands." That means the RLX, and Acura itself, are measured by the technology and prestige standards of the Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series.

Still, fixing the RLX doesn't mean emulating those brands with a rwd platform or a V-8 engine, Mendel said. Honda doesn't have either anywhere in its global portfolio, and there are no plans to change that.

Rather, he said, Acura plans to leverage its strength in front- and all-wheel-drive platforms as they become more common throughout the industry. The brand also will seek to capture a halo effect from the NSX hybrid supercar, especially as its tech-heavy features trickle down into more mainstream Acura models.

Such steps are important for not only luring new buyers to Acura, but keeping existing fans in the fold.

Unlike the new Genesis brand, "we do have things to lose," Mendel said. "We have a very loyal customer base with Acura. So moving them and evolving them along will be important."
The following 6 users liked this post by TSX69:
getakey (11-30-2015), holografique (11-30-2015), hondamore (12-01-2015), Malibu Flyer (12-01-2015), pgeorg (12-01-2015), wstr75 (12-01-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
So to sum it all up, they plan on doing pretty much what they've been doing, thanks for the update Mendel.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure I believe in their strategy at all. Once again trying to take the playbook from their regular consumer brand and apply it to their luxury brand. This to me shows again that they don't "get" the luxury car buyer. People with more money to spend want options. Not limits. Honda itself has 10 different classes of vehicles! So why on earth would you relegate your luxury brand to less options?

I do like what their saying about the RLX. I believe it's the first time Acura has openly and publicly admitted to the RLX needing to be "fixed". Also promising to see them recognize the importance of the flagship setting the definition and standard for how the brand is measured and perceived. And even more promising to see them recognize the impact it has on creating and retaining a loyal customer base.

It's almost as if they've been reading my posts...!

Last edited by holografique; 11-30-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:31 AM
Pro

I was at the LA Auto show yesterday to see the NSX. I was surprised to see both a PAWS and Sport Hybrid RLX featured in the large Acura display. The NSX was also there but rather than being able to sit in it it was on a rotating platform which was roped off. The Acura folks there didn't provide any specific info about pricing or availability of the NSX.

Honda also had a concept of their new fuel cell "Clarity" on display. Can't say I liked the appearance of the fuel cell car but let's see how it looks when it is released later next year.

I find Mendel's comments about the RLX encouraging but the proof is always in the pudding. Perhaps we will see a MMC in 2017 for the RLX. At least they are publicly acknowledging the RLX needs fixing. A good first step. I don't see anything to indicate they will abandon the RLX, only that they plan to fix it.

Maybe we will get more info at Detroit.
holografique (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 04:32 AM
Grandpa

Although it is true the dealers have been suggesting too many and odd low volume derivatives, I think there is a place for one or two of them if he chooses carefully.

The TLX GT programme is not helping because customers cannot see the car or buy it, and because it is not campaigned as well as former programmes.

They *could* see the Integra Type R, and it helped sell other models. They also won championships with the former campaign. There was a point customers woke up and said "Oh, my goodness! Do you realize they've been World Champions for SEVEN YEARS!!??"

Even if customers ended up buying an RSX, TL or MDX, it was the homologated low volume derivative that helped bring them in.
holografique (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 04:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Glad to read words from Acura officials about the RLX. Looks like they are not throwing in the towel just yet. Hopefully they read this forum to get an idea of what people want.

We have confirmation now that they are not going RWD or V8. Honestly, if they keep with the Sport Hybrid program, they don't need either. It simply needs to be priced reasonably with all of, or more features than, the competition, i.e. they need to do what Hyundai has done in the luxury space....and what Acura did in the first place to get noticed in the 1980's. Giving us an evocative external design is icing on the cake.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
holografique (12-01-2015), hondamore (12-01-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 04:03 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton

The TLX GT programme is not helping because customers cannot see the car or buy it, and because it is not campaigned as well as former programmes.

They *could* see the Integra Type R, and it helped sell other models. They also won championships with the former campaign. There was a point customers woke up and said "Oh, my goodness! Do you realize they've been World Champions for SEVEN YEARS!!??"

Even if customers ended up buying an RSX, TL or MDX, it was the homologated low volume derivative that helped bring them in.
The reason why the TLX-GT program is not helping is that the TLX-GT race car has almost NOTHING in common with the showroom stock TLX sedan; unlike the Integra Type-R, RSX, TSX, and NSX, that were raced previously in the World Challenge Championships.

On the TLX-GT race car :
- the chassis is rebuilt and strengthened.
- the engine is relocated from the front to the mid-section of the car, for better handling performance.
- the engine is a 500+hp turbo-V6 which money can't buy for the public.
- the AWD system is a fixed-ratio one, and not the torque-vectoring SH-AWD.
- the transmission is a heavy duty aftermarket one.

The only similarity between the stock TLX and the TLX-GT is just the outside vehicle shell.

In fact, so much work has done on the TLX-GT race car so as to make it become competitive with all other RWD contestants, that makes people think that the showroom stock TLX (even with AWD) is inferior than the RWD counterparts.

Worst still, the AWD system is deemed too heavy and too power-robbing, and resulting that the TLX-GT is no match to the RWD contestants in the dry. Only in the wet the TLX-GT is able to take the lead from the rest of the field.

Next season, RealTime Racing is planning to ditch the AWD mechanics and makes the next gen TLX-GT a RWD race car.

This further reinforces the general view that the FWD and the FWD-biased AWD TLX sedans are no good, and are inferior in performance than the RWD sedans.

If this move doesn't completely ruin the reputation of the FWD-chassis TLX sedan, I don't know what does.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I think driving Acura's AWD system versus a RWD drive system in real world (i.e., not track conditions) highlights the advantages of the AWD system. I'd grant you that the weight associated with a sophisticated torque vectoring AWD system is at odds generally with racing car design principles, where cubic dollars are spent to reduce ounces of weight.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ Fair point. But I think the point that is being made in both George and Edwards post is: either way you look at it, the TLX-GT is doing nothing to create any sort of "halo" effect for the regular TLX.

As George pointed out, it's simply not marketed properly. And as Edward's post further underscores, the TLX-GT has practically nothing to do with the TLX in terms of performance. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Why even try to market a high-performance variant when a) you can't get it, and b) the regular version has 0% of the high-performance components. If you're trying to create this image of "performance" and (as Acura puts it) "athleticism", then you need to have at least some aspects of the TLX-GT available in the TLX. This is where they need to put out an S-type or something similar.

IMO they should put out a TLX Sport-Hybrid variant similar to what they did with the RLX Sport-Hybrid and allow it to do something like 330-350hp, give it a sportier fascia/rear and boom, sportier interior options (sport seats, stitched leather, sport steering wheel option, etc. etc), sport rim options and boom, you got a hit. From a marketing perspective it would also make a lot more sense as they could also leverage additional product and brand awareness by way of the NSX using similar Sport-Hybrid AWD technology. It goes right along with their whole "DNA" messaging...
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
Edward'TLS (12-02-2015), pgeorg (12-03-2015), wstr75 (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^^ I agree that Acura needs a sportier version of the TLX. I'd be interested in one if they did. I was pleasantly surprised by the FWD loaner V6 I had recently, but it felt much "softer" than my 4G AWD in terms of handling. Plenty of power though.

I'd love to see the Sport Hybrid system in the TLX with a 6MT, bigger tires and a tad stiffer springing. But I'm probably in the distinct minority among potential TLX buyers.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

I to like how the TLX drives/handles. I think the "softer" feel is a result of the 18" rims/tires and likely a different suspension design than the 4G. Heck, all I know is it's way better than the RLX PAWS suspension. I've yet to try the TLX with the 19" option rims/tires.

I would be looking at a TLX next year, but I just don't care much for the interior and it doesn't have quite the tech and luxury features I want in my next car. If they came out with a Sport-Hybrid version, along with the HUD, improved interior design, and higher quality accessory options, then it would definitely become a serious contender for me.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Grandpa

If they want to campaign a car successfully, they need to homologate a car that people can see in the showrooms, even if it is not a car that they want to buy.

They need to campaign in N1 or something similar to that, like the old North American world championship of makes where Realtime and Cunningham first made a name for themselves.

When Kleinubing rolled his ITR violently down the hill toward Oak Tree, it looked like it was totaled.

But a side effect of racing these basically stock homologated cars is that the paddock was full of Honda and Acura fans and mechanics. Although the car was very badly beat up, and although they basically kept the entire paddock awake all night doing it, they worked and worked, hammered and hammered, and put the car back together again.

To this day, I have no idea how they safely affixed a windscreen back on the car after it was that beat up.

And he went on to win that race and Realtime took the championship.

Those days are gone, but I don't see why the *have* to be gone.

The series in which they're competing needs to be different, and they need not to be wasting money developing systems that will never be implemented on the road cars.

It needs to be a bigger effort with less expensive cars, too.

Realtime needs four or five cars that don't cost as much, and they need to go back to recruiting young and developing drivers like they used to.

What is going on now is not accomplishing anything except costing money for Acura and American Honda, wasting engineering time developing systems we'll never put on the road, and the losses are costing Cunningham's reputation in a way that I am not sure he will want to endure forever.

Let's change the series and get it over with.

I'm afraid they've already committed too much to the next year...which means they're probably locked in for two years after that even if they are losing.

But it's a waste.

Change series and race a car that people understand.

That's when the racing made sense. That's when your race cars sold cars in the dealerships.
wstr75 (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 03:05 PM
2G TLX-S

RealTime Racing (RTR) could and should have used the showroom stock TLX, with minor tweaking, to race in the GTS category, just like they had previously done with the Integra/RSX/TSX with great successes.

But this time around, RTR has to go for the impossibility, butchers up the TLX into the non-recognizable TLX-GT, and races the "Frankinstein" car in the GT category which is dominated by high-powered RWD entries such as Ferrari, McLaren, Bentley, Aston Martin, Porsche, Audi R8, Nissan GT-R, etc.

In the past, it was only the NSX that RTR had raced in the GT category.

It is very obvious that the TLX is not even remotely in the same league as the NSX, no matter how much the TLX is butchered and built up.

So this failure in exercise is, quite frankly, something that RTR/Acura has asked for, and unfortunately also does nothing helpful in boosting the image and reputation of the Acura TLX sedan line.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Safety Car

Talking MMC Hint?

Acura will unveil the Acura Precision Concept at the 2016 North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 12 at 8:00 am ET, the brand announced today. Created by the Acura Design Studio in California, the Acura Precision Concept will help set the direction for future Acura design; in particular, the next generation of performance-luxury sedans.

"The Acura Precision Concept will signal the stronger and sharper focus of Acura styling on our core DNA we call 'precision crafted performance'," said Dave Marek, global creative director for the Acura brand. "It is our intention to more strongly express performance through design and the Acura Precision Concept will serve as the inspiration for the styling and proportion of the next-generation of Acura vehicles, especially for our sedans."

Acura today also announced details of its launch plans for the next-generation NSX supercar, coming to market next spring. Acura is on track to post its 4th consecutive year of U.S. sales growth in 2015, and best sales since 2007, with sales up 6.9 percent through November.

Last edited by TSX69; 12-19-2015 at 07:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
Malibu Flyer (12-19-2015), pgeorg (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up C&d

Determined to once again prove that the Germans don’t have a lock on deeming their creations “precise,” Acura calls back to its caliper-waving origin with the new Precision Concept for the Detroit auto show.

Teased here before its official reveal next month, Acura claims the new car will “help set the direction for future Acura design; in particular, the next generation of performance-luxury sedans.” The supplied rendering includes no door shutlines, but given the above sentence, we’re inclined to believe the concept will be a 4-door coupe of some sort. Can we all finally just concede that the Germans won and a 4-door coupe is now no longer a thing that needs to be placed in quotes? Yeah, we know. We hate it, too. Hats off to you, Deutschland, your persistence has paid finally paid its dubious dividend. Introducing the sketch to media assembled in Detroit, Acura general manager Jon Ikeda called attention to the “unmistakable proportions” of the long hood. Speaking to C/D later in the evening, Ikeda told us that it was important to the brand that these classic luxury-sedan proportions aren’t just an illusion. That means the engine likely runs longitudinally, although we’re left guessing where the power is routed. Recall that the 2nd-generation Acura Legend’s longitudinally mounted engine still powered the front wheels.

What might be most interesting about the new concept is that it actually has a name, last seen on a production Acura product in the form of the late, beloved Integra. We asked Ikeda if the name Precision suggests that the brand might exhume the badges of its founding fathers, Integra and Legend. He neither affirmed nor denied our suspicions that future Acuras will include more vowels as standard equipment. Instead, he offered something far more important. Ikeda told us that if those iconic names do make a comeback, they can’t be applied to cars like today’s ILX and TLX. It would seem, then, that Acura’s top executive is teeing up the same sweeping overhaul that the brand’s chief designer Dave Marek hinted at when we asked about the Integra back in 2014. Beyond all that joyous news and conjecture, we have but one request for you, dear Acura. Please revive the Vigor nameplate. For only then, with Vigor in our hands and at our feet, will we be able to call our decade, this glorious, fêted decade, 100 percent complete.

pgeorg (12-19-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoNews

Acura will use next month’s Detroit auto show to offer a peek into the future design of its sedans.

Honda’s luxury division plans to show a car it calls the Acura Precision Concept on the 2nd day of the North American International Auto Show.

A teaser image of the concept shows a far more dramatic profile than Acura has shown in its sedans, with a long hood and sharp creases stretching from the front fender to the taillights.

The concept doesn’t foreshadow a future model as many other Acura and Honda concepts have, Acura said. Rather, it’s meant to signal the design language the automaker will introduce in its next generation of vehicles, especially the cars.

“The Acura Precision Concept will signal the stronger and sharper focus of Acura styling on our core DNA we call ‘precision crafted performance,’” Dave Marek, Acura’s global creative director, said in a statement.

Acura has said it wants to fortify its sedan lineup, which it acknowledges hasn’t been its strong suit in recent years.

“We’ve struggled, candidly, with sedans,” John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda, told Automotive News last month at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The RLX sedan, in particular, has been a dud, selling just 3,413 in 2014; sales are down 36 percent through November of this year.

It’s not just the volume that’s been disappointing. Acura wants its large sedan to be more of a true flagship, setting a standard and tone for the rest of the brand.

This is why it is keen to get the Precision Concept into the public eye.

Overall, Acura is having a good year. Its 160,342 vehicles sold through November represent a 6.9 percent gain over the same period in 2014. Crossovers dominate, but Acura also has benefited from the TLX midsize car, which has done well since it went on sale in 2014, even as much of the industry has had flat or declining sedan sales.

The Acura Precision Concept will debut Jan. 12 in Detroit.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:24 AM
Senior Moderator

FMC 2018 MY
I hope Acura comes out swinging.....
Old 12-21-2015, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Sign me up. I would get in line sight unseen.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Now we're talkin. They are owning up to and recognizing that the RLX can (and should be) a better car...especially as a "flagship". Everything I've been saying...

Very encouring to hear their commentary. Let's hope they execute on all cylinders and truly come out swingin with a home run come 2017/2018.

The future is looking bright...
Old 12-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

Mixed Feelings

Altho all of this looks very positive, I have followed Acura long enough to know that they will change their mind and go in a different direction without notice. However, considering how aggressive Lexus has gone with their styling & now Nissan/Infiniti claiming that they want to outsell Honda/Acura by 2010, I am not surprised that they are pushing the envelope. Also, I always thought that poor sales would be the only thing that would force Acura's hand & the RLX/ILX have pretty much succeeded there (the MDXs declining sales @ a time of CUV increases is probably worrisome as well)

I highly doubt that Acura will deliver a RWD car but it looks like they will give us a longitudinal front engine & RWD proportions, which will help separate it from Honda. I would venture to guess that their new foray into turbos will also separate the brands; I would be surprised by a v8.

As for going back to names like Legend & Integra - that would be interesting. I ponder if they will keep the RLX around as their large plush vehicle (think XTS or LS) & make the Legend their smaller sportier sedan. I always thought that Acura should have a larger portfolio but I doubt that they would do this.

Hopefully all of this translates to some good stuff in a few years which will keep me interested in buying another Acura ....

Old 12-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope for the best but I think the USA division is somewhat destroying Japanese philosophy of how a car should be built. Profits over everything else .
Old 12-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Selling ~3000 cars per year does not = profits above anything else
Old 12-25-2015, 04:16 AM
Instructor

Yeah, they even fail to do that
Old 12-25-2015, 06:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Selling ~3000 cars per year does not = profits above anything else
This.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 AM
Instructor

That does not mean they don't have profits in mind. There are certain clues indicating that they've started cutting corners. No real wood, no adjustable headrest, lower quality paint job... Unfortunately, we don't have RLX in EU so I can't compare to RL to find more. This is from reading this forum. BTW. Could someone check where hard plastics are? In RL we have half soft, half hard plastic on both sides of the dashboard and part underneath vents for rear passengers is all hard plastic as well as bottom parts of the middle pillars. What quality leather is in RLX?
Old 02-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy Ny

Acura will debut the refreshed 2017 MDX @ next month's auto show. Sad that there is no 2017 RLX MMC info out there, especially since it debuted before the 2014 MDX.

The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (02-24-2016), Malibu Flyer (02-24-2016), pgeorg (02-24-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb In Semi-Related News

The journey of a brand's transformation begins with a single grille -- or so Acura would have us believe.

The automaker used last week's New York auto show to introduce a freshened MDX midsize crossover bearing the 1st hints of a new design direction that eventually will wash over the entire Acura lineup.

Honda's high-end brand is in the early days of a turnaround effort that will put a greater emphasis on its sedans and sharpen its overall image to the theme of "Precision Crafted Performance." The goal is greater sales and market share; Acura's 177,165 sales in 2015 put it squarely in the 2nd tier among luxury brands, with 8.7 percent of the luxury market, just ahead of Cadillac.

Acura is also on a quest for a cohesive identity, which has eluded it for years as it struggles to differentiate itself from the mainstream Honda brand.

Step 1 in that transformation is ditching the chrome beak that, for better or worse, has been the face of Acura since it debuted on the 2009 TL sedan. The look has been polarizing at best, and Acura has been toning it down with each subsequent redesign across its lineup.

"The beak was always perhaps the least well-liked styling feature of current Acuras," Ed Kim, vice president of industry analysis for AutoPacific, told Automotive News. "I'm not sure how much just a new grille will help, but it certainly won't hurt."

The newest edition of the MDX -- Acura's most popular vehicle for the past 6 years -- is the 1st production vehicle to wear the new "diamond pentagon" grille that the brand debuted in January on the Precision Concept sedan at the Detroit auto show.

The updated face of the 2017 MDX also gets a revamped bumper and headlights. Acura also added a Sport Hybrid powertrain option that largely borrows the RLX hybrid's running gear.

"Taken together, these styling changes take MDX a big step into the future of Acura design and styling," John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda, said at the unveiling of the MDX here.

And yet the vehicle still reflects Acura's tradition of caution. "Because it's their highest-volume vehicle, maybe they're a little gun-shy about going too extreme, especially for a midcycle refresh," Kim said.

Work on the MDX freshening had started in 2014 when designers got the edict to ditch the beak. This prompted a reboot of their plans.

"It was a reset but it was a good reset," said Damon Schell, who led the exterior design work on the 2017 MDX. "It actually was very impactful for us. It helped us blend the whole new structure with the car that existed before."

Acura hasn't specified when or on which vehicle the white-sheet redesign from the Precision Concept will debut but it's widely expected to come on the next-generation RLX. Acura brass have made it clear their sedan lineup needs an overhaul, especially the slow-selling flagship.

In the meantime, Schell and his colleagues will be busy updating the grilles on the rest of Acura's lineup.

"You can expect that very soon," Schell said, declining to elaborate. "The grille is your mark. The brand has to survive on that grille."
The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
Malibu Flyer (03-28-2016), neuronbob (03-28-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Warming the checkbook up right now! I will be first in line for the second year run of the MMC for the RLX Sport Hybrid (keeping my current one regardless). That will make 3 Sport Hybrids in the family by then, because I will be getting the 2018 MDX SH too (too soon after replacing my 2014 with the 2016 I have currently).
Old 03-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Acura hasn't specified when or on which vehicle the white-sheet redesign from the Precision Concept will debut but it's widely expected to come on the next-generation RLX. Acura brass have made it clear their sedan lineup needs an overhaul, especially the slow-selling flagship.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:08 PM
Pro

Has anyone heard any whispers about when the 2017 RLX will be unveiled?

I am quite surprised the 2017 MDX gets debuted prior to the RLX. After all, the MDX is selling reasonably well compared to the RLX. The RLX needs work to truly be the flagship for the brand. I would think it would get a priority for a MMC. Also, does anyone know if Acura has improved the infotainment system in the new MDX?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:32 AM
2G TLX-S

If Acura has given up on the flagship sedan, it will likely let the MMC drags on for another couple years, just like the poor-selling RL model.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Has anyone heard any whispers about when the 2017 RLX will be unveiled?

I am quite surprised the 2017 MDX gets debuted prior to the RLX. After all, the MDX is selling reasonably well compared to the RLX. The RLX needs work to truly be the flagship for the brand. I would think it would get a priority for a MMC. Also, does anyone know if Acura has improved the infotainment system in the new MDX?
I don't believe your hopes will be realized until 2018. :-)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
or at least, the 2018 MY, which means 2017.

Regardless of whether the Sport Hybrid's look will change, at least the tech will get its due respect now that NSX 2.0 is upon us. This is the attention the RLX should have gotten.....but instead, we former "beta testers" have languished in the dark, with our sleeper of a sedan ("sleeper" meant in the positive sense). I don't have a particular problem with that, though....
The following 5 users liked this post by neuronbob:
fsmith (03-29-2016), hondamore (03-29-2016), Malibu Flyer (03-29-2016), pgeorg (03-29-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-29-2016)

Quick Reply: 2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)