Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Tidal

Old 04-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I bit the bullet last night, figured I'd try it out. I have an LG G2 and the download / setup was flawless. No issues with navigating the app either. The sound is definitely better than Pandora when listening via bluetooth in my car (I can't help but wonder if it'll be improved with a USB connection instead...?). The bass hits harder and the sound is much more clear. I don't get that annoying sound with the "s" like it's gonna pierce my ears either.

I added a few albums to my 'offline content' and am happy so far (a whole 24 hours in, haha). I listen to mostly hip hop so I got the new Ludacris, Wale, Big Sean, and Kendrick Lamar.

I'll have to really love it to pay the $20 per month for any extended period but so far no complaints.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
to pimp a butterfly tho
Old 04-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
I bit the bullet last night, figured I'd try it out. I have an LG G2 and the download / setup was flawless. No issues with navigating the app either. The sound is definitely better than Pandora when listening via bluetooth in my car (I can't help but wonder if it'll be improved with a USB connection instead...?). The bass hits harder and the sound is much more clear. I don't get that annoying sound with the "s" like it's gonna pierce my ears either.

I added a few albums to my 'offline content' and am happy so far (a whole 24 hours in, haha). I listen to mostly hip hop so I got the new Ludacris, Wale, Big Sean, and Kendrick Lamar.

I'll have to really love it to pay the $20 per month for any extended period but so far no complaints.
That's pretty much how they all work. The difference is mostly UI and reliability. Like Beats doesn't do queues which is stupid as hell.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,573 Likes on 6,624 Posts
Tidal seems just like a way for the artists to make more money by taking out the middle man..

or rather for Jay Z to make money off his fellow artists counterparts..

I don't know about you guys but I cringed seeing Daft Punk, deadmau5 and kanye west in the same room.... ( love the first two, hate the latter)
Old 04-15-2015, 09:38 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Tidal seems just like a way for the artists to make more money by taking out the middle man..

or rather for Jay Z to make money off his fellow artists counterparts..
You mean the rich artists are now the middleman for the not rich artists.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
You mean the rich artists are now the middleman for the not rich artists.

I mean it's brilliant from a business perspective. Help the rich artists get more rich. I don't think it benefits the up and comers though.

Big artists/Tidal investors: benefit
Pandora/Spotify/Google Play/competitors: hurt
Smaller artists: hurt
consumers:no change

Old 04-15-2015, 10:14 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
consumers:no change
Aren't the consumers at a disadvantage now? Rather than one subscription service, consumers might need several different subscriptions now.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,133 Posts
For $240 a you could buy a lot of single tracks or even a good amount of CDs and make your own playlists.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I cringed seeing Daft Punk, deadmau5 and kanye west in the same room.... ( love the first two, hate the latter)
Agree. Especially at deadmau5, he for one shouldn't give a shit since peeps like him 'supposedly' does it for the music and he is very know to do what he wants and doesn't give a shit what other people think. On the other hand I can totally see Kanye pos West in there.

Originally Posted by F-C
Aren't the consumers at a disadvantage now? Rather than one subscription service, consumers might need several different subscriptions now.
Or just stay with one... no difference in music. Again, just hype.

Originally Posted by doopstr
For $240 a you could buy a lot of single tracks or even a good amount of CDs and make your own playlists.
Or visit the bay

Last edited by imj0257; 04-15-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Marina Abramovic Says Jay Z Didn't Keep His Donation Promises | Complex
Old 05-20-2015, 02:32 PM

at the end of the article

UPDATE: New York dealer Jeanne Greenberg-Rohatyn of Salon 94 confirmed this morning that Jay Z did in fact keep his donation promises. Greenberg-Rohatyn, who helped organized the video shoot for "Picasso Baby," read a receipt from the Hudson, New York institute to artnet News that said, "Thank you for your donation."
he said she said
Old 05-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

Honestly I'm really loving Spotify even though I'm on a Rhapsody .99 trial. Plus Spotify launched video streaming and podcasts. Tidal is in for a rough ride.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:23 AM

i did like the freestyle that Jay kicked off at his Tidal concert side-b.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:11 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Does anyone own a Sonos system and if so, have you tried Deezer Elite?
Old 06-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

Google now offers free stations with ads

Official Google Blog

Need some music right now to make whatever you’re doing better? Even if you’re not already a Google Play Music subscriber, we’ve got you covered. Google Play Music now has a free, ad-supported version in the U.S., giving you a new way to find just the right music—and giving artists another way to earn revenue. In less time than it takes you to read this sentence, you could be exercising with Drop-a-Beat Workout, cooling off with Poolside Chic, or spending quality time with Songs To Raise Your Kids To.

At any moment in your day, Google Play Music has whatever you need music for—from working, to working out, to working it on the dance floor—and gives you curated radio stations to make whatever you’re doing better. Our team of music experts, including the folks who created Songza, crafts each station song by song so you don’t have to. If you’re looking for something specific, you can browse our curated stations by genre, mood, decade or activity, or you can search for your favorite artist, album or song to instantly create a station of similar music.

We hope you’ll enjoy it so much that you’ll consider subscribing to Google Play Music to play without ads, take your music offline, create your own playlists, and listen to any of the 30 million songs in our library on any device and as much as you’d like. You’ll also get ad-free, offline and background features for music videos on YouTube. And with or without a subscription, you can store and play up to 50,000 songs from your own collection for free.

To help you get started, check out the top 10 most popular activities on Google Play Music, each of which offers several radio stations to choose from based on what you like:

1.Brand New Music
2.Driving
3.Working Out
4.Boosting Your Energy
5.Having Friends Over
6.Having Fun at Work
7.Entering Beast Mode
8.Waking Up Happy
9.Unwinding
10.Bedtime

The new free, ad-supported version of Google Play Music is launching first in the U.S. It’s available on the web today, and is rolling out this week to Android and iOS. And while you’re checking it all out, we’ll be catching up on our Blogged 50.

Posted by Elias Roman, Product Manager
Old 06-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Tidal is hurting
Old 06-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Team Owner

I read their interim CEO left after just replacing the other one 3 mos ago.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Dealing with all those inflated egos must be impossible.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Or maybe it was such a bad deal the CEO bailed since the bonus wasn't going to work out.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:46 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Apple in Talks to Acquire Jay Z?s Tidal Music Service - WSJ

Apple in Talks to Acquire Jay Z’s Tidal Music Service

Sources say talks are ongoing and may not result in a deal

June 30, 2016

Apple Inc. is in talks to acquire Tidal, a streaming-music service run by rap mogul Jay Z, according to people familiar with the matter.

Apple is exploring the idea of bringing on Tidal to bolster its Apple Music service because of Tidal’s strong ties to popular artists such as Kanye West and Madonna.

The talks are ongoing and may not result in a deal, these people said. Terms of the potential deal aren't known.

Jay Z bought the service in March 2015 for $56 million from Swedish company Aspiro, which had created the brand Tidal. He has given 19 famous artists and bands small stakes in Tidal and promised each millions of dollars worth of marketing, according to people familiar with the matter.

A Tidal spokesman said Tidal executives hadn’t held talks with Apple.

Tidal charges $20 a month for a high-fidelity version of its 40 million-song catalog or $10 a month for standard-quality sound. Tidal said it has 4.2 million paying subscribers, most of whom it amassed this year with a string of exclusive releases from stars including Mr. West, Rihanna and Beyoncé, who is Jay Z’s wife.

Tidal is also the only service offering the catalog of the late pop star Prince, who was wary of other streaming services but had a close relationship with Jay Z. Prince died in April at the age of 57 of an overdose.

But the company has experienced management turmoil, churning through three chief executives, one of them interim and one appointed by prior management, in less than a year. Jeff Toig, former chief business officer of SoundCloud, a Berlin-based audio-sharing service, has been CEO since January.

Though it hasn’t generated significant revenue for the industry given its relatively low subscriber numbers, Tidal has an artist-friendly reputation, thanks to its artist ownership, high-quality sound and the fact that it only offers paid subscriptions, which generate far more for the industry than ad-supported services.

Spotify AB, by contrast, the subscription-streaming leader with about 30 million subscribers and about 70 million free users, has irked some stars by refusing to let them limit their music to its paid tier. As a result, artists such as Taylor Swift and Adele have withheld new releases from the entire service, with Adele only making her 2015 album “25” available on Spotify this month.

Tidal has held exploratory talks beginning last year with other potential partners, such as the streaming service Rhapsody, according to a person familiar with the matter. Rhapsody recently changed its name to Napster.

The news of the talks comes about a year after Apple launched its own streaming music service, Apple Music. Apple said on June 13 that it had 15 million paying subscribers to the service, which costs $9.99 a month for individuals, or $14.99 a month for families. The same day, Apple said it would redesign Apple Music in the fall as part of an update to its iPhone software, to address complaints that the software was confusing and hard to navigate.

Apple Music was based on the streaming service Beats, which Apple acquired with headphone maker Beats Electronics for $3 billion in May 2014. As part of the deal, Apple acquired the services of rap star Dr. Dre and music mogul Jimmy Iovine, who have played critical roles in warming the music industry to Apple’s music service.

A deal with Tidal would bring two of the most legendary names in hip-hop to Apple’s camp, uniting East Coast and West Coast rap under a single business interest.

There might be areas of friction as well. Tidal executives pride themselves on giving artists unusual freedom, such as tinkering with their music after releasing it, a person familiar with the matter said.

Apple has been working to secure close relationships with recording artists. It has provided marketing assistance to artists, while also helping to pay for music videos for high-profile artists in exchange for a certain period of exclusivity on Apple Music.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Kayne is gonna be rich
Old 07-01-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Won't someone think of those poor, struggling, "artists"?

I silently chuckle to myself each time I read an article like that which mentions so-and-so's album is available only through xyz... I really wish there was an asterisk footnote that read: "*and widely distributed through pirating services." Because, let's face it, making it more difficult and more expensive to obtain it legally only helps to make it easier to get it through the other methods.

Exception being perhaps "Once Upon A Time In Shaolin". But even that will eventually be available (thanks to the struggling artist known as Bill Murray).
Old 07-01-2016, 09:15 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,112 Likes on 6,104 Posts
Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Won't someone think of those poor, struggling, "artists"?

I silently chuckle to myself each time I read an article like that which mentions so-and-so's album is available only through xyz... I really wish there was an asterisk footnote that read: "*and widely distributed through pirating services." Because, let's face it, making it more difficult and more expensive to obtain it legally only helps to make it easier to get it through the other methods.

Exception being perhaps "Once Upon A Time In Shaolin". But even that will eventually be available (thanks to the struggling artist known as Bill Murray).
Not a big deal !?!?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

This acquisition sort of makes sense from a Hi Fi perspective. It aligns with the no headphone jack rumor and will be great for the WAV and lossless guys and the ones who use an External DAC.

Unfortunately though, not the general audience .
Old 07-01-2016, 09:29 AM

This acquisition sort of makes sense from a Hi Fi perspective. It aligns with the no headphone jack rumor and will be great for the WAV and lossless guys and the ones who use an External DAC.

Unfortunately though, not the general audience .
Buuut... Wouldn't transmitting the audio over a hardlined headphone be a higher fidelity than over bluetooth? Seems to be two opposite directions to acquire a "hi-fi" streaming company but then only have a lossy playing method.

Or is crapple doing some sort of dongle for their magic jack? Or do they just assume all of their market audience is already playing music from their shitty tinny speaker and thus don't need headphones? (serious question, I really don't know)
Old 07-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Not referring to the Bluetooth portion, moreso the Lightning dongle or Lightning to DAC that the audio companies will come out with. Right now all the HiFi needs have to use a lightning to HDMI adapter to HDMI Cable to DAC workaround which is cumbersome for a damn phone
Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 AM

Not referring to the Bluetooth portion, moreso the Lightning dongle or Lightning to DAC that the audio companies will come out with. Right now all the HiFi needs have to use a lightning to HDMI adapter to HDMI Cable to DAC workaround which is cumbersome for a damn phone
Hmm. That seems excessively complicated.

Maybe Apple should buy that Toblerone mp3 player company. Ponos or something?
Old 07-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

at Toblerone reference. It's such an apt description though..

And yes it indeed is super excessive currently to bypass the inner DAC of the iPhone. Asshats couldn't have stuck with USB or USB C
Old 07-01-2016, 10:44 AM
_

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Kayne is gonna be rich
If sale happens, I'm going to ask Kanye to invest $x million dollars into AZuser ideas

Kanye West asked Mark Zuckerberg for $1 billion on Twitter | The Verge

Old 07-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
What a fucking waste of money.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
:revive:

Tidal HiFi sounds great on the home stereo and my Sennheisers. Pretty pointless in my cars, I just use high bitrate MP3's.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 PM
_

Anyone every sign up for this service?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/14/1...-investigation

Tidal’s allegedly bogus streaming numbers are under investigation in Norway

Jan 14, 2019

Norwegian authorities have opened an investigation into reports that millions of Tidal’s streams never happened, reports Dagens Næringsliv, a Norwegian financial newspaper. Økokrim, Norway’s National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution of Economic and Environmental Crime, is conducting the investigation after reports emerged last May that 320 million streams of Beyoncé’s Lemonade and Kanye West’s The Life of Pablo were fraudulent.

If true, inflating the number of streams that each album received would artificially increase the royalty payments for each artist. The same month that reports emerged about the fake streaming numbers, Tidal was reportedly months behind on its royalty payments to three major record companies. The streaming service has also been accused of inflating its overall subscriber numbers from 350,000 to 1 million.

The investigation, which has been ongoing since last fall, began after four Norwegian music organizations filed police reports in light of the allegations. Dagens Næringsliv reports that Økokrim is thought to have already cross-examined four former Tidal employees for 25 hours.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Anyone every sign up for this service?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/14/1...-investigation
I tried it for a month to see if I could tell the difference between it and the other services.

I couldn't really
Old 07-05-2020, 08:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Anyone wanna chime in on Tidal HiFi specifically? MQA grabbed my attention, and their library is huge now.

Used Spotify Premium for years with an Audioengine D1 for nearly as many. But I was thinking of getting this to complete the MQA unfolding chain: https://ifi-audio.com/products/xdsd/

I feel anchored to my damn desk. Dunno I feel about carrying around a portable amp in the future.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:32 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Anyone wanna chime in on Tidal HiFi specifically? MQA grabbed my attention, and their library is huge now.

Used Spotify Premium for years with an Audioengine D1 for nearly as many. But I was thinking of getting this to complete the MQA unfolding chain: https://ifi-audio.com/products/xdsd/

I feel anchored to my damn desk. Dunno I feel about carrying around a portable amp in the future.
I have a dedicated 2 channel system, call me a semi-audiophile if you will. I have tried Amazon Music, Google Music, YouTube Music, Spotify and Tidal on my system, Tidal is miles ahead of the others.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Interesting, I’ve heard so many varying opinions, among them being Amazon HD is nigh-indistinguishable from MQA (to the human ear). Is it the UI or app that’s so great?

I decided against it for now, as the music I listen to won’t take advantage of the higher quality.

Definitely something I will keep in mind in the future.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:59 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Interesting, I’ve heard so many varying opinions, among them being Amazon HD is nigh-indistinguishable from MQA (to the human ear). Is it the UI or app that’s so great?

I decided against it for now, as the music I listen to won’t take advantage of the higher quality.

Definitely something I will keep in mind in the future.
Oh I forgot there's Amazon HD south of the border, we don't have that here so there you go, more choices available.