Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

NAS (Network Attached Storage) Discussion Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Thumbs up NAS (Network Attached Storage) Discussion Thread

A few of you guys have asked about this after I leaked that I had started putting one together so I thought I'd share.

For those of you that aren't familiar with what an NAS is: An NAS or Network Attached Storage device is basically a shell with hard drives installled in it that you access over your network. it's great because you can have one central location where you can house your music, movies, photos, or just a central location to back up all your computers in your home to. It's very helpful in today's age when you have more than 1 or 2 computers in your home or for other uses which I'll mention later.

Background:

I've got three computers at home, one windows PC, a RHEL server, and a dell laptop which my wife uses. I haven't been good at all about backing up my data And for that reason I decided I can't do that anymore and needed to take the proper step at protecting my investements. I've got a lot of data between my three machines, music, photos, videos, programs, and a lot of other files and data.

A few weeks prior to deciding this my best friend showed me the Infrant ReadyNAS. at the time I thought it was really cool, but that was about it. After I decided I needed a backup solution I checked it out in more detail. It's got it's own OS installed on it that you access via a browser.

My other need for this was that I've been tinkering with the idea of building a media box that I could run MythTV on to stream movies, photos, music etc. It's a great program as well, it's free too. Basically you can use MythTV on a linux based computer and store all your movies, music, photos, and connect your cable box to it to record broadcasts. You can rip all your dvd's to the box as well and stream those to your tv. My other good friend has this setup in his living room and it's so great because he has full control over all of his movies, music, and photos at his fingertips 24/7. never has to touch a dvd, or worry about scratching them because they are just streamed to his tv. So by having this NAS i could mount it to my media center at a later date when I build it.

After reading the documentation on the product I decided to go for it.

http://www.infrant.com/download/ReadyNAS_NV.pdf
http://www.infrant.com/download/UserGuide_V3.pdf
http://www.infrant.com/download/QuickInstall_V3.pdf
http://www.infrant.com/download/Read...ingStarted.pdf

My Pictures:

Purchase:

Last month I purchased the Infrant ReadyNAS NV Diskless Unit. You can purchase this NAS pre-configured in a variety of sizes. I chose to purchase the diskless unit because I found a great deal on 500GB Seagate SATA 3.0Gb/s (ST3500641AS-RK) drives at Fry's.

Infrant ReadyNAS:
$599.00 + $22.30 (shipping) (no-tax-transaction)
Seagate 500GB HDD ST3500641AS: $189.00 + tax

Total: Approx $1450

The 2TB retail kit sells for approximately $2,000 at some locations. Eaegis.com where I bought my diskless unit currently has a 2TB version on sale for $1549 with Seagate 500GB hard drives, although they are different model from the ones I purchased. Newegg sells a 2TB version for $1899! So by building it myself I saved quite a bit of money which is why I went that route, and I like building these things. Yea I'm a nerd.

So far I've installed the drives but haven't had a chance to configure the NAS. I still need to boot it up, configure the RAID, shares, and other settings.

The NAS supports RAID 0,1,5, and their propietary format known as X-RAID. X-RAID is good for those that want to expand along the way. Basically you can start with one or two drives. and simply add a drive and the NAS automatically reconfigures itself to use the three drives instead of the two. This is good if you can't afford to spend all the money on the drives at the start.

Setup:

I'm going to go with RAID 5 for my setup because the X-RAID doesn't offer me anything since I'm already going to have 4 drives. I know I'm going to take a big hit on capacity with RAID 5, but that's going to provide me with the best data security which is why I'm doing this in the first place. Everything else I want to do is secondary to that.

Basically that's it for now. I'm hoping to have the rest of it configured this weekend so I'll have more info about the setup later.

If you guys want more info about it though go here:

http://www.infrant.com/products/prod...=ReadyNAS%20NV

Other Info:

one of the other cool things I found are the devices you can use in conjunction with this NAS. SlimDevices carries some products you can use to stream your audio to any room in your house that has their product.

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Their device called Squeezebox is their most popular:

Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Awesome, awesome, awesome.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
awwwwwsome! What will you use as a backup client? Can you put backup software on teh NAS to grab backups of your machines, or will each single computer be configged to backup to the server?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fast-tl
awwwwwsome! What will you use as a backup client? Can you put backup software on teh NAS to grab backups of your machines, or will each single computer be configged to backup to the server?
I copied this from the NAS Documentation. I won't know how well it works till I get it setup.

http://www.infrant.com/download/UserGuide_V3.pdf

The Backup manager integrated with the ReadyNAS allows the ReadyNAS to act as a powerful backup appliance. Backup tasks can be controlled directly from the ReadyNAS without the need for a client-based backup application.

With the flexibility to support full and incremental backups across FTP, HTTP, CIFS/SMB, and NFS protocols, the ReadyNAS can act as a simple central repository for both home and office environments.

And with multiple ReadyNAS systems, you can set up one ReadyNAS to backup another directly. The built-in rsync incremental backup support allows you to optimize an incremental backup schedule close enough in time to implement a remote data mirroring system.
So to answer your question, it supposedly comes with it's own backup client that I can configure to pull data from my machines. How well it works I don't know yet. But I'm it will work. If not I'll have to move data from my windows machines myself, and I'll just write a simple perl/bash script or use rsync to do the backup from my linux server.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Race Director

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Nice

I am building one useing an older machine and openfiler and some perloined dual gige network cards
Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NAS in da house!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Beelzebub
Nice

I am building one useing an older machine and openfiler and some perloined dual gige network cards
cool, yea I gotta add a Gb nic card to my linux server and I bought a gigabit switch that I'm going to connect the NAS, linux server, and my windows machine to for faster backups and data access.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
I've been thinking of adding an NAS to my house, but speed has me worried - I've tried the cheapy devices and they are just horribly slow. I'm interested in hearing how this thing performs for you - I want to offload my growing digital photo library (not pr0n) from my main computer but I don't want that to slow me down to a crawl when working with the photos.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:36 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
nice work anil!

sounds like a solid investment. i've been meaning to do that too -- outlook data file got corrupted and just like that email and, most importantly, address book went out the window.

have you looked into the mediagates (seen in another thread) ? they are network attachable and play divx/xvid/ac3/mp3/ogg/etc (everything but wmv) natively so, to my knowledge, there is a lot of hw decoding going on. they maybe a good place for mythTV to write to. i've currently got my machine encoding the streams, compressing, and a script the dumps everything to the mediagate at midnight. i do this because i do not want to send the compressing file stream to a network device across -- wear on the mediagate drive this way as well. i'm sure the network could handle this, but why put the wear on the IDE drives lol

ps next machine i build, all scsi or bust! haha

cool stuff!

Last edited by Malayalee King; 09-26-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
....I thought NAS was a rapper?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:08 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
pimp....
Old 09-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
damn, that's awesome, something i'll look into. What the hell is a Fry's? Cause i was happy with my Seagate 80GB HD, and those 500GB's are cheappp for only 189.00, i wanna know where i can get one.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Nice looking box, but why is there a hole on the bottom where the power plug should be?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
that's SICK Anil. nice post too
Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 AM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That is very cool. Thanks for posting the details. I was wondering if you were building from scratch or using something like this.

We have the 4x250 GB version at the office I'm working in, also setup in RAID 5. Performance seems to be pretty good, but we haven't really been doings too much with it yet.

Setup of the CIFS wasn't difficult at all, but we had a hell of a time getting an FTP working. We're actually still not completely functional on that side. Also, we're still trying to sort out how the permissions on the CIFS work. They don't seem to play nice with Windows.

Keep us posted on how things work out. When we finally move into a house, that will be one of the first projects I want to do. We'll see what the wife says about it though

Congrats and good luck.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
nice work anil!

sounds like a solid investment. i've been meaning to do that too -- outlook data file got corrupted and just like that email and, most importantly, address book went out the window.

have you looked into the mediagates (seen in another thread) ? they are network attachable and play divx/xvid/ac3/mp3/ogg/etc (everything but wmv) natively so, to my knowledge, there is a lot of hw decoding going on. they maybe a good place for mythTV to write to. i've currently got my machine encoding the streams, compressing, and a script the dumps everything to the mediagate at midnight. i do this because i do not want to send the compressing file stream to a network device across -- wear on the mediagate drive this way as well. i'm sure the network could handle this, but why put the wear on the IDE drives lol

ps next machine i build, all scsi or bust! haha

cool stuff!
Thankx

I haven't looked into the mediagates. to be honest with you I haven't heard of them prior to this. I'll keep that in mind when I need to start thinking about setting my media center. I agree on your setup though.

If anything I'd throw a large disk on the media center, do whatever I wanted during the day, and then execute a script to transfer the files at midnight. that way it's streamlined workflow and easier to maintain.

I am going to hook up my computers to a gigabit switch so hopefully network speed shouldn't be too much of a problem. My wife doesn't have too much on her computer to back up yet, so backing in up via wifi isn't an issue at the moment. but I can always do a hard wired connection if needed.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by saiko_cl_duck
damn, that's awesome, something i'll look into. What the hell is a Fry's? Cause i was happy with my Seagate 80GB HD, and those 500GB's are cheappp for only 189.00, i wanna know where i can get one.
Fry's is an electronics store out here on the west coast and other areas. It's funny because in Arizona they have Fry's Supermarkets. When I first saw one I was so happy to see a fry's then when I found out it was just a market I was

The online extension of fry's is outpost.com just so you know.

Anyway, the hard drives I got from them were on sale. But the thing with fry's lately, is that they practically always have sales. every monday, wednesday, friday, and sunday they have ads that come out with specials. every week or every other week you'll always find a great deal on hard drives. you just have to keep looking.

In fact recently they had the 750GB drives on sale for $299!!!! I contemplated getting those for my NAS for the extra $100 per disk, but the Infrant NAS doesn't support the 750GB drives yet.

They have a device compatibility list that they maintiain to help you decide which hardware works which sets them apart from many other companies out there.

Check it out....

http://www.infrant.com/forum/

http://www.infrant.com/forum/viewfor...7fbc3451984f8b
Old 09-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doopstr
Nice looking box, but why is there a hole on the bottom where the power plug should be?
The power connection slot is recessed in that hole that you're referring to.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
But the thing with fry's lately, is that they practically always have sales. every monday, wednesday, friday, and sunday they have ads that come out with specials. every week or every other week you'll always find a great deal on hard drives. you just have to keep looking.
Fry's opened up their "Chicago" store about two years ago. It's about a 35 minute drive from me but I have never received an ad from them. On two separate occasions I asked the customer service desk in the store how I could get their ads. No one knew. Maybe the run ads in newspapers now but I don't get any papers delivered.

One thing I do know for sure though is that the sales Fry's runs are local to specific regions. I've seen several posts on other forums where a person in one state would post about a sale at Fry's and a person from another state would say the deal was not in their ad or available in their store.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ Yes, they are in the paper and very local.

Another cool thing about the Inrant NAS is the USB connectors. You can connect a printer and/or an external hard drive (for additional space or if you don't think RAID 5 is safe enough )
Old 09-27-2006, 03:14 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 10-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

ON the topic of data storage and backups:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/index....try_id=1567877

Just months after introducing the MyBook Pro Edition external hard drive, Western Digtial has unleashed the MyBook Pro Edition II. It retains the same cool bookish design but it has swelled to “War and Peace” proportions thanks to its 1TB of storage space. That’s around 125 hours of HD movies or over 75 hours of DV video. Like its slimmer predecessor, the MyBook features FireWire 400/800 and USB 2.0 connections and RAID striping for quicker transfers. Available now for $549.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Race Director

ON the topic of data storage and backups:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/index....try_id=1567877
1TB of storage for 500 bucks.

This is getting nuts. 3 years ago we spent 150 grand for 4 TB
Old 10-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Team Owner

3 years ago we spent 150 grand for 4 TB
Old 10-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Race Director

EMC Symmetrix with 60 73GB 15k drives
Old 10-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

1TB of storage for 500 bucks.

This is getting nuts. 3 years ago we spent 150 grand for 4 TB
Yeah, we spent about $45K for 10 TB earlier this year. I'll bet ours are just a might bit faster and more reliable thant the $0.50/Gig stuff. Still though, pretty nuts.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Billiam
Yeah, we spent about $45K for 10 TB earlier this year. I'll bet ours are just a might bit faster and more reliable thant the $0.50/Gig stuff. Still though, pretty nuts.
Absolutly. Which brand, model did you get.

I play with them all.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Absolutly. Which brand, model did you get.

I play with them all.
It's our first SAN so we didn't go too terribly nuts. Ended up with a Hitachi Data Systems 9570. Two FC trays (5 TB) and one SATA tray (5 TB). A couple of 16 port Brocade 3850's, and Emulex HBA's.

No one at my place cared for the way EMC handled us when we were shopping around. The only other player we considered was Sun since we have four production Solaris/SPARC boxes. While Sun's products were nice on paper, a fair amount of the care and feeding required a Solaris platform which we have limited expertise in. And well.... they're Sun, not a storage company.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Race Director

Hitachi is a good choice, they make very good equipment we had a HDS Lightning with 50TB of storage for a loaner hooked up to a Sun E12k to run some benchmarks for Sun and Hitachi with one of our storage products.

We generally get EMC as we have a very good relation with them so we get very good deals.

I like the Emulex cards and the Brocades are both very good products.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Team Owner

Well I set up my new router and gigabit switch tonight and installed a gigabit nic card in my linux server and all seems to be working well.

Next step, setting up the NAS. I tried to do all this last weekend but was too drained.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Insert Sarcasm Here

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
beautiful
Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
EMC Symmetrix with 60 73GB 15k drives

SCSI aint cheep.

I think I may run Fiber in my house to stream media to my entertainment center.

Am I crazy? It would only be about 50 ft of line, plus two cards. How temperature sensitive is fiber line? (I have to run it through a non-air conditioned Arizona attic)
Old 10-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stogie1020
SCSI aint cheep.

I think I may run Fiber in my house to stream media to my entertainment center.

Am I crazy? It would only be about 50 ft of line, plus two cards. How temperature sensitive is fiber line? (I have to run it through a non-air conditioned Arizona attic)
wow, you are crazy. I really don't know if anyone has done that before. Cat 6 550Mhz patch cables can deliver pretty decent streams using gigabit connections and is much more affordable.

Fiber lines are also delicate aren't they? I've heard that when they lay those lines, they don't lay just one, but very many of them because if one goes dead, they just switch to another line instead. Is that true?
Old 10-05-2006, 03:00 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Nice work

P.S. I see a 2TB Ipod on the horizon .
Old 10-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JnC
Nice work

P.S. I see a 2TB Ipod on the horizon .
Gotta start somewhere. The first video recorders had video players and huge battery packs that you had lug around with you just to record video! Now you can do it all on your digital camera.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by stogie1020
If you're only talking 50' (hell even 200') and your only forseeable intention is to run Gigabit Ethernet over it, then you're absolutely throwing money down the drain by running fiber. Have you priced how expensive fiber NIC's are? You're probably talking a minimum of $350 each.

Sly, fiber cabling is pretty damn tough. You certainly can't bend, twist, or kink it like you can copper, but I would definitely not consider the cabling delicate. What is generaly delicate, however, are the connectors at the ends of the cables. The ST type of connector that was common in the early days of Ethernet-over-fiber could be cracked very easily. The common connectors in use now (SC and LC) are much more durable.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Race Director

And to add to Billiam, you can step on it in sneakers but if you have hard soled shoes and it is sitting on the floor it will break.

And the other comment Billiam made about money. Fiber NICS will run you minimum 500 bucks a pop, the cable a 50' run of LC/LC (smaller connection) will cost you about $150

We just spent 5 grand on about 40 cables.

Stogie

Just buy a NAS device like Sly and a few GigE cards. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper and the performace isn't that back.

You can run 80 to 90meg per second transfer rate across it.
We deliver 5 and 6 gig Ghost images to machines in a few minutes.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

found out 2 weeks ago that slim devices was purchased by Logitech. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing yet.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
I picked up a ReadyNAS this week from NewEgg, put two 400GB disks in it - will probably get the other two very soon. It was an absolute snap to get working. With only two disks it's also very quiet - I haven't had to banish it to the basement yet.

Also put in a GigE router (D-Link DGL-4300) but since my cable is all Cat5 the network is still running 100Mb. I've got the Cat5e in my trunk to change the wires out over the next couple evenings and get it running at full network speed.

Mike
Old 01-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Part I: iTunes Streaming Service

I finally had some time to devote to working on this over the holidays. I was so swamped with work after I bought it I couldn't even get this thing out of the box. In any case.....

Background (for those that haven't read the thread):

I bought a diskless ReadyNAS NV that I installed 4 500GB Seagate drives into because I got a great deal on the drives.

After the NAS was setup using X-RAID, I have approx 1,368 GB of space at my disposal. The drives can be interchanged whenever I want with larger capacity drives and the resyncs are automatic. The time to resync is the issue. My NAS took 10 hrs to sync the blank drives up!

A memory upgrade to 1GB of RAM is on the horizon for my NAS. At the moment it is running at 256MB of RAM. Which can be slow at times especially when running FrontView, which is the web based interface to administrate the NAS

I've got my computer, linux server and NAS hooked up to a gigabit switch for optimal speed.

I haven't setup my client machines to do auto backups but that's next. The NAS came with backup software to install on windows machines that I will use on my desktop and 2 laptops. I'll probably be using Rsync for my linux server.

iTunes Streaming Service:

After getting the darn thing setup initially I started tinkering with the options and built in services to get familiarized with it because there is so much!!!

One of them is the "iTunes Streaming" service. Basically you can place all your iTunes files on the NAS, and any computer that is on the same subnet as the NAS can utilize that streaming service.

So I copied my iTunes files to the NAS, and pointed the Streaming service to the share folder. After doing that, the NAS has to scan the folder so it knows what it will be streaming. The scanning is automated to rescan at whatever intervals you choose. The default is set to rescan the media every 24 hrs. So after it finished scanning I started up my iTunes and voila, it listed my iTunes streaming service without any other work. As long as that computer is authorized to play those iTunes files, it will play them. It's really cool, but the streaming service lacks much of the functionality that we use in iTunes like playlists for instance.

So I tried to point iTunes to my the music folder that is on the NAS after mapping a network drive to the NAS. This proved to be disappointing [so far]. iTunes sees that the files are on the NAS, but unless the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file is updated to point to the NAS as well it's a no go. This isn't a fault of the NAS, but a lack of functionality on iTunes part. Lack of functionality on Apple software, that's proposterous!

In any case, just thought I'd share a little bit of info about that service. I'll have more info as I do more with the NAS. It's a really cool device for securing your data for backups and integrity and to make it more convenient to access your data on your home network.

Quick Reply: NAS (Network Attached Storage) Discussion Thread