Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: NFL's Concussion Crisis

Old 10-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,121 Likes on 6,109 Posts
NFL: NFL's Concussion Crisis

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...gue-of-denial/

PBS last night aired Frontline: League of Denial, an in-depth look at the NFL's history of concussion and other brain-related injuries (and its seemingly lackluster response to those issues). The hour-plus episode is the result of over 17 months of investigative work, though it's based on a book by ESPN reporters Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru. PBS and ESPN had originally agreed to collaborate on the project, but ESPN abruptly dropped out back in August. The sports network asked that PBS not use its logos or give ESPN any collaborative credit on the program. PBS carried on undeterred with the help of both reporters, finally airing the eye-opening special last night. Frontline paints a troubling portrait of a league that has long been aware of the threat concussions pose to its players, but one that has been relatively slow in addressing the safety crisis.

For their part, Frontline's producers don't seem to be finished with the issue just yet; they've set up a Concussion Watch tracker that's been aggregating head injuries throughout the 2013 NFL season. Safety aside, it's also proven to be an expensive problem for the NFL; earlier this year the league reached a $765 million settlement with 4,500 players who accused the NFL both of not doing enough to protect them, and underplaying the threat of concussions to players and the public at large. Today at 1PM ET, viewers can join a live chat with Frontline producer Mike Wiser, reporters Steve Fainaru and Mark Fainaru-Wada, and Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Seems like a continuation of corporate denial in regards to the affect that their product has on people.

The NFL used the same strategy first created by the tobacco industry and later used in the debates over acid rain, the ozone hole, 2nd hand smoke, DDT, and of course global warming; a strategy of denial, doubt, and bad science by biased unqualified professionals to delay meaningful action against them.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,418 Likes on 3,027 Posts
No copy pasted graphs, no care
Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Take the helmets out to prevent the players from tackling with their heads. Basically make it like Rugby... Although Rugby players are known to have back issues, but since football doesn't have scrums, that might alleviate the problem.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,418 Likes on 3,027 Posts
I dont' think taking away head protection will lessen concussion problems
Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
I will say that many years from now we will be looking back saying why did we do this to ourselves.
The following 4 users liked this post by Whiskers:
#1 STUNNA (10-09-2013), 97BlackAckCL (10-09-2013), JS + XES (10-09-2013), nist7 (08-04-2017)
Old 10-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 10-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I think the part in the documentary is where they talk about the high school and the college kid whose brains they looked at showing CTE at such a young age pretty disturbing. This isn't a problem just for NFL players but for all ages of players. 45 out of 46 brains from football players they looked at had CTE, granted they're only looking at brains of people in which the family thought they had symptoms of CTE. I wish there was a way to look at a living brain and tell whether it had CTE. Currently the brain has to be donated post mortem and sliced and dyed to check for the disease.

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a form of encephalopathy that is a progressive degenerative disease, which can only be definitively diagnosed postmortem in individuals with a history of multiple concussions and other forms of head injury. The disease was previously called dementia pugilistica (DP), as it was initially found in those with a history of boxing. CTE has been most commonly found in professional athletes participating in American football, ice hockey, professional wrestling and other contact sports who have experienced repetitive brain trauma. It has also been found in soldiers exposed to a blast or a concussive injury,[1] in both cases resulting in characteristic degeneration of brain tissue and the accumulation of tau protein. Individuals with CTE may show symptoms of dementia, such as memory loss, aggression, confusion and depression, which generally appear years or many decades after the trauma.
Repeated concussions and injuries less serious than concussions ("sub-concussions") incurred during the play of contact sports over a long period can result in CTE. In the case of blast injury, a single exposure to a blast and the subsequent violent movement of the head in the blast wind can cause the condition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 10-09-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Whiskers
I will say that many years from now we will be looking back saying why did we do this to ourselves.
You can say that about a lot of the things we do as a society, unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
You can say that about a lot of the things we do as a society, unfortunately.
Yep. Surprised boxing made it this long...
Old 10-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by madrussian190
Take the helmets out to prevent the players from tackling with their heads. Basically make it like Rugby... Although Rugby players are known to have back issues, but since football doesn't have scrums, that might alleviate the problem.
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I dont' think taking away head protection will lessen concussion problems
I can see both sides. I think if they didn't have helmets they'd be a lot more careful. I think the helmet gives the players a false sense of safety so they're more willing to drop their head and level another player because the helmet will "protect" them. Also wearing a helmet over your head increases the strike zone. A head with a helmet on it is more likely to be hit than a head without a helmet on it, simply because the helmet makes it a bigger target.

Then on the other hand if I was getting "jacked up" by a defender and laid out where I get knocked backwards and my head hits the ground I think I'd rather be wearing a helmet than not wearing a helmet in that instance when my head slams into the ground.

Also there's what they call the sub-concussive hits that players take all throughout the game and practice. They don't cause what we consider a concussion those hits add up over time. In the video they talk about a college kid who had never been diagnosed with a concussion but must have taken many sub-concussive hits that led to him having CTE, even at a young age.

Humans aren't made to play football, we're not built for taking multiple hits to the head for 20 years and expecting everything's going to be OK afterwards...

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 10-09-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Sanest Florida Man

NFL players benched due to head injuries have altered brain connections
Research methodology could serve as early warning sign for cognitive problems.

So far, the long-term effects of repeated head injuries in professional football have been hard to pin down. There are a whole host of economic and social reasons for this, but the simple truth is that the scientific research itself just isn’t clear-cut. While some studies have found decreased cognitive function and an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease in NFL players, others haven’t found strong evidence linking careers in professional football to long-lasting cognitive decline.

The problem, researchers argue, may be “ecological validity.” In other words, the skills and competencies that scientists test may not accurately represent those required in real life. The psychological tests used in laboratory settings are highly controlled and standardized, while real-world situations are much messier. Players with brain injuries might retain enough cognitive control mechanisms to pass lab-based tests yet fail miserably at the complex scenarios they face in everyday life.

A new study in Scientific Reports clears up some of this confusion, using a combination of cognitive tests and neuroimaging to get a better picture of what happens to football players’ brains as a result of repetitive traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).

The study included 13 retired NFL players with no history of psychological problems (two other ex-players also volunteered for the study, but had to be nixed since they couldn’t fit in the fMRI scanner). During their careers, each of these players had been pulled from a game at least once due to a head injury. From a control group of 60 college graduates, 20 were chosen as an age-matched control for these experiments.

First, each participant in the study performed a spatial planning task in which they were shown two different arrangements of colored balls in tubes; their goal was to figure out how many moves it would take to turn the first arrangement into the second one. Essentially, this task tests a person’s working memory and their ability to plan ahead.

As in many previous lab-based tests, the NFL group didn’t perform significantly worse than the control group did. Only in the very hardest problems—those that required four moves—was there a small decrease in the football players’ performance compared to the other participants. But overall, only two out of the 13 ex-NFL players ranked at or below the bottom tenth percentile compared to controls. Clearly, a career in football didn’t necessarily result in failure—or even underperformance—on this task.

However, when the researchers examined fMRI data showing what happened in the participants’ brains as they worked out the solution, they saw stark differences between the two groups. Compared to the control group, the ex-NFL players had decreased functional connectivity between various brain regions. In other words, different parts of the football players’ brains didn’t interact as much as they did in the other participants’ brains. This effect was particularly strong in the frontal lobe, a region involved in planning, organization, and attention. In a measure of frontal lobe connectivity, all but one of the retired players were in the bottom tenth percentile compared to the control group; that’s a much larger effect than what the researchers saw when they simply looked at performance on the task.

So why was there such a discrepancy? How could the players perform decently on the test despite the reduced connectivity?

It turns out that there was another major difference in how the two groups’ brains functioned. Two parts of the football players’ brains were surprisingly active: the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and the frontopolar cortex, two areas in the frontal lobe. And the harder the problems got, the more active these regions became. In terms of overall activation in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, more than half of the players were in the top tenth percentile compared to the control group.

High activity in these areas suggests that the retired football players were devoting extra brain resources to solving the problems, possibly to overcome the effect of decreased connectivity. The control participants, on the other hand, didn’t need to compensate in this way.

Perhaps the most disturbing evidence in this study was the link between the frequency of head injuries and the extent of the player’s brain changes. As a player’s number of career TBIs went up, brain connectivity fell precipitously and frontal lobe activity increased sharply.

Up to a certain point, people with these sorts of injuries may be able to overcome brain injuries and function relatively normally by allowing regions of the frontal lobe to go into overdrive. But as tasks get increasingly complex—or the brain suffers enough damage—this compensation might not be enough to mask cognitive problems.

There are definite drawbacks to the study; the sample size is small, and we’re talking correlation, not causation. Additionally, the researchers didn’t compare activity in TBI-riddled brains with those of NFL players without repeated head injuries. But, as the study says, “NFL alumni are a particularly difficult population to recruit for research studies.”

Although this study doesn’t close the book on the relationship between TBIs, brain damage, and cognition, it suggests a very plausible explanation for the inconsistencies and conflicts in research on football players’ cognition. In the long run, this type of analysis could potentially serve as an early warning sign for players that are on the road to serious cognitive problems. These applications likely extend well beyond the NFL, as well. Soccer players, military veterans, and Parkinson’s patients could also benefit from research that helps us understand how brain abnormalities affect the way we think, act, and perform.
http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/1310...srep02972.html
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...n-connections/
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Then on the other hand if I was getting "jacked up" by a defender and laid out where I get knocked backwards and my head hits the ground I think I'd rather be wearing a helmet than not wearing a helmet in that instance when my head slams into the ground.
I don't disagree with you, but you might be surprised by how much damage is still done with a helmet on. The pad of a helmet is only 0.5" thick at most. Going from full speed to a stop over half an inch really fucking hurts.

I've actually been concussed in baseball when I ran full speed into a fence looking over my shoulder in pop-fly practice (no warning track). For my body, I was lucky to hit in between two posts. Unfortunately for my head, the fence had a trampoline affect that took me from full speed forward to full speed backward very quickly.

I am seriously torn on letting my son play football ever, and I think pee-wee football is a grossly irresponsible act as a society.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I'd like to see a test measuring the difference between the force of impact on the head when hitting the ground while wearing a helmet and while not wearing a helmet. The helmet adds weight which increases the force but does the padding cancel out that force and then some? IDK.

I am seriously torn on letting my son play football ever, and I think pee-wee football is a grossly irresponsible act as a society.
This is exactly why the NFL wanted to deny it
Old 09-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Jovan Belcher's brain showed signs of CTE, doctor says in report - ESPN
The brain of former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher -- the 25-year-old player who shot and killed his girlfriend in 2012 before committing suicide -- showed signs of pervasive brain damage like that found in other deceased NFL players, according to a neuropathologist.

In a report obtained by "Outside the Lines," Dr. Piotr Kozlowski writes that he detected neurofibrillary tangles of tau protein, which is identified with chronic traumatic encephalopathy. The tangles were distributed throughout Belcher's hippocampus, an area of the brain involved with memory, learning and emotion.

Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, multiple times before killing himself at Arrowhead Stadium on Dec. 1, 2012.

Dozens of former NFL players have been diagnosed posthumously with CTE, a neurodegenerative disease linked to dementia, memory loss and depression. The disease, researchers say, is triggered by repeated head trauma.

On Dec. 1, 2012, Belcher shot and killed girlfriend Kasandra Perkins, the mother of his then-3-month-old daughter. Belcher then drove to the Chiefs' practice facility, where he shot himself in front of team officials in the parking lot. While the murder-suicide reignited the debate over athletes and guns, it also increased the focus on a frequently overlooked issue at the time: the NFL's domestic violence problem.

Belcher's body was exhumed one year after his death, and his brain was examined two weeks later. Kozlowski was hired to diagnose the brain by court-appointed Kansas City attorneys who represent the interests of Belcher's daughter. Belcher's mother, Cheryl Shepherd, initiated the process of exhuming her son's body to have his brain studied, attorney Dirk Vandever said.

Vandever declined to comment about why his law firm released Kozlowski's findings now, almost nine months after the diagnosis. "Outside the Lines" requested copies of images of Belcher's brain to send to another neuropathologist for independent analysis, but that request was denied.

Neurosurgeon Dr. Julian Bailes, chairman of the department of neurosurgery and co-director of the NorthShore Neurological Institute in Chicago, did not study Belcher's brain but said of the possible findings: "It is of great interest. Violence against others is not typically part of the CTE picture. But it was in the case of [former professional] wrestler Chris Benoit. It would be nice to have these findings corroborated.

"If correct, they're very compelling."

If it can be shown that Belcher did have CTE, Belcher's daughter and mother, together, would be eligible for up to $4 million under the proposed concussion settlement between the NFL and former players. Furthermore, the lawyers representing Belcher's daughter have filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the Chiefs on her behalf. Belcher's mother, with different attorneys, filed an almost identical suit.

Among the allegations contained in the lawsuits is that Belcher was knocked unconscious during a game against the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2009 and did not receive adequate treatment. The lawsuits also refer to a November 2012 game against the Cincinnati Bengals when, the lawsuits allege, Belcher "suffered what should have been recognized as an acute concussion." However, one lawsuit continues, "despite exhibiting obvious symptoms, Decedent was never removed from play for evaluation and recovery." The lawsuits also claim Belcher exhibited signs of CTE, including changes in his mood and behavior.

"The NFL has a long history of a changing the rules of the game to make it safer on the field, providing players the best medical care, and updating protocols on diagnosing concussions, treating concussions, and returning to play after a concussion," the league said in a statement.

The NFL said it has funded $161 million in CTE and related research projects, including a $30 million grant to the National Institutes of Health in 2012.

The Chiefs declined to comment.

Kozlowski, through Vandever, was not made available for comment. According to the American Board of Pathology, he is certified in anatomic pathology and neuropathology. He was formerly a program director at the National Institutes of Health Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke in Maryland. Kozlowski serves as the dean of research and pathology professor at the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York City.

Vandever said Belcher's mother had the idea of having her son's brain studied after reading multiple reports about football players and CTE. He declined to discuss why Kozlowski was chosen as opposed to researchers who are more experienced in the study of CTE and football players -- those from Boston University and the NIH, for example.

As for Belcher's brain being examined slightly more than a year after his death, Kozlowski's report refers to some brain decomposition, with certain parts better preserved than others. Bailes said it is possible to find evidence of tau protein and CTE-like changes a year after a death.

Bailes, who has studied the connection between football players and head injuries, worked on the case of Andre Waters, a former Philadelphia Eagles safety who committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. "Even in this case of a gunshot wound to his brain, it was possible to diagnose him with CTE," Bailes said of Waters.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:45 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy

you might as well rule out all other sports while you're at it.
when they are that small, at least the helmet does its job.

basketball, baseball, soccer... all have opportunities to present head injuries each time you take the field/court.
sports are dangerous, this wasn't discovered this in the last 10 years.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Well, if that's not a broad-sweeping generalization, I don't know what is. I believe my father said it best. "Basketball is a contact sport. Football is just violent." I started soccer at 5, baseball at 6, basketball at 7, football at 12, and seek out athletics to this day. Nothing compares to football with regards to bodily harm, not even boxing.

I have been concussed in baseball as noted, had my cheek bone fractured from a throw in the sun, known an upperclassman who lost a testicle from a bounce, played with a boy who went into a coma after being hit in the head with a practice pitch (no helmet), and had a friend whose cousin died after a throw to home plate hit him in the temple during a sandlot game (again, no helmet).

Risk = probability * consequence. Baseball obviously poses significant risk along with many other sports. However, the premise of the game doesn't involve physical contact in any form other than a "tag". The entire premise for half of football is to physically and forcibly stop your opponent from proceeding. Not only does the probability increase dramatically, the consequence increases dramatically as well. You simply cannot equate the risk of football to any other main-stream sport.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 AM
The Dumb One

equate, no.

but my response was to simply say that removing football from the choices does not save one from injury (head included) in sports, not exponentially, and not by large margin.

I've played everything under the sun, granted I haven't played in the NFL itself, I've seen head/neck/back injuries in ALL of them first hand, most to teammates, a few to myself.

but if the violent nature of the sport is the main concern, I understand.

these guy's play at a level most human's cant ever imagine achieving, you remove the professional, and even the college football factor out, im willing to bet the amount of concussions per player drops astonishingly. they just are not average people out there, they are trains.

1600lbs of hit force is something that a kid in peewee/junior high, and high school kids wont see.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 10-01-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

There is more than just players hitting you in football. It doesn't matter if you are 10 or 30, hitting your head on the ground can easily concuss you. I'm not scared of my son getting injured; it's inevitable. However, we can agree to disagree about the risk of injury playing football having a large margin over other sports. I see absolutely no point in subjecting him to that risk before age 12 unless he REALLY wants to play. Even after that, it will be completely up to him.

And you can be damn sure that if he does play, he will be best at kicking. Then maybe someone will pay for him to go to school...

Last edited by oo7spy; 10-03-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:16 PM
The Dumb One

good kickers have the best shot to get scholarships. most kickers don't start until highschool..

start training him early lol
Old 10-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

What I Saw as an NFL Ballboy

Originally Posted by Eric Kester
WITH each new arrest of a National Football League star, I’ve joined our collective finger-wagging at the league and its players, all while repressing a gnawing guilt: As a 17-year-old ball boy for the 2003 Chicago Bears, I helped players achieve heights of on-field violence so brutal that off-field aftershocks were all but inevitable.

Spend an extended period of time behind the N.F.L. curtain, as I did, see eerily subdued postgame locker rooms filled with vacant stares and hear anguished screams echoing from the training room, and you’ll understand how the physical and emotional toll these players endure is devastating enough to erode the morality of a good man or exacerbate the evils of a bad one.

This is not to say players who commit crimes deserve even a little exoneration. But what they and all N.F.L. players do deserve — and need — are improved resources to help them cope with the debilitating consequences of on-field ferocity.
I lay awake at night wondering how many lives were irreparably damaged by my most handy ball boy tool: smelling salts. On game days my pockets were always full of these tiny ammonia stimulants that, when sniffed, can trick a brain into a state of alertness. After almost every crowd-pleasing hit, a player would stagger off the field, steady himself the best he could, sometimes vomit a little, and tilt his head to the sky. Then, with eyes squeezed shut in pain, he’d scream “Eric!” and I’d dash over and say, “It’s O.K., I’m right here, got just what you need.”

A sniff of my salts would revive the player in alertness only, and he would run back onto the field to once again collide with opponents with the force of a high-speed car crash. As fans high-fived and hell-yeahed and checked the progress of their fantasy teams, and as I eagerly scrambled onto the field to pick up shattered fragments from exploded helmets, researchers were discovering the rotting black splotches of brain tissue that indicate chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Known as C.T.E., this degenerative disease is the result of players’ enduring head trauma again and again. Symptoms include dementia and extreme aggression, and C.T.E. is considered at least partly responsible for the string of recent suicides of former and current N.F.L. players, whose anger, sadness and violence eventually collapsed inward.

Cameramen know not to show players sniffing salts, and I participated in similar acts of cover-up. One of my jobs was sorting through postgame laundry. Cleaner uniforms would be set aside for football card companies to purchase for their line of “game-used inserts.” Dirty uniforms, meanwhile, like all the girdles filled with blood and feces because some hits are savage enough to overpower the central nervous system, I’d put in a special bin for disposal.

At one morning practice a player asked me, the smell of liquor on his breath, to run to the locker room and get him some mint gum. For weeks there had been reports that he was going to be released. When I brought the gum to him, he asked me to unwrap it because his fingers were too mangled for fine motor skills. I was later surprised to learn how many players had been arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and public intoxication (according to a USA Today database, since 2000 there have been 237 alcohol-related arrests, nearly three times more than the next most frequent charge, assault and battery).

I’m not recounting these stories to raise sympathy for player-criminals, but to spread awareness that the well of N.F.L. violence is drawing water from more sources than you may realize.

So what do we do, those of us who are appalled by the run of domestic violence, saddened by the brain injuries and utterly in love with the sport of football? Because it is a wonderful game most of the time, and while the big hits do draw millions, we are just as enthralled by the drama of a goal-line stand, the beauty of a perfectly choreographed pass completion, the freakish athleticism of men who represent the pinnacle of human physiology.

We can start by having this conversation about the emotional health of players, and having it frequently enough that the N.F.L. has to start listening, just as it did in 2011 when frenzied media coverage of head injuries forced the league to adopt safer concussion protocols. The N.F.L. can provide its players with more and better mental health resources, and it’s time fans start demanding that it do so.

There are those who would solve the problem by abolishing football altogether. But that would only further ignore the needs of the millions of football players, from youth leaguers to professionals, who rely on the game as a source of healthy emotional fulfillment. It was no different for me: Even with what I witnessed as a ball boy, I still decided to play college football. That decision left me with a permanently damaged knee, but I don’t regret having played. I know the game, during its best moments, is built upon core tenets of courage, perseverance, teamwork and, most of all, sacrifice.

The hope of every football fan is that by mitigating the emotional toll endured by some players, we can not only reduce violent aftershocks — our primary goal — but also save the N.F.L. from slipping further into a downward spiral. Otherwise we might lose football altogether, and with it our weekly chance to put up our feet and forget, for a few exhilarating hours, our own pain and hardship.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/11/op...ef=sports&_r=1

Last edited by oo7spy; 10-21-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:42 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Tired of this subject, going after NFL, when they could have been knock loopy in College, HS or even fall ball.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Rockstar, I know we hashed this out a bit, but I couldn't help but think about the conversation when I read the LSU-vs-Ole Miss recap.
Originally Posted by oo7spy
I believe my father said it best. "Basketball is a contact sport. Football is just violent."
Les agrees.
Originally Posted by Les Miles, Ole Miss post game interview
The concern that I had would be condolences and an outpouring of emotions and caring for each other could not exactly be what you want to go play a very violent, physical and competitive game.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Sanest Florida Man

New: 87 Deceased NFL Players Test Positive for Brain Disease | Concussion Watch | FRONTLINE | PBS
A total of 87 out of 91 former NFL players have tested positive for the brain disease at the center of the debate over concussions in football, according to new figures from the nation’s largest brain bank focused on the study of traumatic head injury.

Researchers with the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University have now identified the degenerative disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in 96 percent of NFL players that they’ve examined and in 79 percent of all football players. The disease is widely believed to stem from repetitive trauma to the head, and can lead to conditions such as memory loss, depression and dementia.

In total, the lab has found CTE in the brain tissue in 131 out of 165 individuals who, before their deaths, played football either professionally, semi-professionally, in college or in high school.

Forty percent of those who tested positive were the offensive and defensive linemen who come into contact with one another on every play of a game, according to numbers shared by the brain bank with FRONTLINE. That finding supports past research suggesting that it’s the repeat, more minor head trauma that occurs regularly in football that may pose the greatest risk to players, as opposed to just the sometimes violent collisions that cause concussions.

But the figures come with several important caveats, as testing for the disease can be an imperfect process. Brain scans have been used to identify signs of CTE in living players, but the disease can only be definitively identified posthumously. As such, many of the players who have donated their brains for testing suspected that they had the disease while still alive, leaving researchers with a skewed population to work with.

Even with those caveats, the latest numbers are “remarkably consistent” with past research from the center suggesting a link between football and long-term brain disease, said Dr. Ann McKee, the facility’s director and chief of neuropathology at the VA Boston Healthcare System.

“People think that we’re blowing this out of proportion, that this is a very rare disease and that we’re sensationalizing it,” said McKee, who runs the lab as part of a collaboration between the VA and BU. “My response is that where I sit, this is a very real disease. We have had no problem identifying it in hundreds of players.”

In a statement, a spokesman for the NFL said, “We are dedicated to making football safer and continue to take steps to protect players, including rule changes, advanced sideline technology, and expanded medical resources. We continue to make significant investments in independent research through our gifts to Boston University, the [National Institutes of Health] and other efforts to accelerate the science and understanding of these issues.”

The latest update from the brain bank, which in 2010 received a $1 million research grant from the NFL, comes at a time when the league is able to boast measurable progress in reducing head injuries. In its 2015 Health & Safety Report, the NFL said that concussions in regular season games fell 35 percent over the past two seasons, from 173 in 2012 to 112 last season. A separate analysis by FRONTLINE that factors in concussions reported by teams during the preseason and the playoffs shows a smaller decrease of 28 percent.

Off the field, the league has revised safety rules to minimize head-to-head hits, and invested millions into research. In April, it also won final approval for a potential $1 billion settlement with roughly 5,000 former players who have sued it over past head injuries.

Still, at the start of a new season of play, the NFL once again finds itself grappling to turn the page on the central argument in the class-action lawsuit: that for years it sought to conceal a link between football and long-term brain disease.

The latest challenge to that effort came two weeks ago with the trailer for a forthcoming Hollywood film about the neuropathologist who first discovered CTE. When the trailer was released, it quickly went viral, leaving the NFL bracing for a new round of scrutiny over past efforts to deny any such connection.

The film, Concussion, starring Will Smith, traces the story of Bennet Omalu, who in 2005 shocked the football establishment with an article in the journal Neurosurgery detailing his discovery of CTE in the brain of former Pittsburgh Steelers center Mike Webster. At the VA lab and elsewhere, CTE has since been found in players such as Hall of Famer Junior Seau, former NFL Man of the Year Dave Duerson, and Colts tight end John Mackey, a past head of the player’s union.

While the story is not a new one, for the NFL, it represents a high-profile and potentially embarrassing cinematic interpretation of a period in which the league sought to refute research suggesting football may contribute to brain disease.

From 2003 to 2009, for example, the NFL’s now disbanded Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee concluded in a series of scientific papers that “no NFL player” had experienced chronic brain damage from repeat concussions, and that “Professional football players do not sustain frequent repetitive blows to the brain on a regular basis.”

In the case of Omalu, league doctors publicly assailed his research, and in a rare move, demanded a retraction of his study. When Omalu spoke to FRONTLINE about the incident for the 2013 documentary, League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis, he said, “You can’t go against the NFL. They’ll squash you.”

In a conversation with FRONTLINE, McKee said that her biggest challenge remains “convincing people this is an actual disease.” Whatever pockets of resistance still exist, she said, have primarily come from those with a “vested interest” in football.

“People want to make this just Alzheimer’s disease or aging and not really a disease,” according to McKee. “I think there’s fewer of those people, but that’s still one of our major hurdles.”
Old 09-20-2015, 02:51 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,808 Likes on 1,412 Posts
both my teams (49ers and Chargers) are painful to watch today
Old 03-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Sanest Florida Man

The NFL cherry picks data in their own concussion studies, then uses studies to say concussions aren't a problem.

Sound familiar?

In N.F.L., Deeply Flawed Concussion Research and Ties to Big Tobacco
For the last 13 years, the N.F.L. has stood by the research, which, the papers stated, was based on a full accounting of all concussions diagnosed by team physicians from 1996 through 2001. But confidential data obtained by The Times shows that more than 100 diagnosed concussions were omitted from the studies — including some severe injuries to stars like quarterbacks Steve Young and Troy Aikman. The committee then calculated the rates of concussions using the incomplete data, making them appear less frequent than they actually were.

These discoveries raise new questions about the validity of the committee’s findings, published in 13 peer-reviewed articles and held up by the league as scientific evidence that brain injuries did not cause long-term harm to its players.

Some retired players have likened the N.F.L.’s handling of its health crisis to that of the tobacco industry, which was notorious for using questionable science to play down the dangers of cigarettes.

Concussions can hardly be equated with smoking, which kills 1,300 people a day in the United States, and The Times has found no direct evidence that the league took its strategy from Big Tobacco. But records show a long relationship between two businesses with little in common beyond the health risks associated with their products.

In a letter to The Times, a lawyer for the league said, “The N.F.L. is not the tobacco industry; it had no connection to the tobacco industry,” which he called “perhaps the most odious industry in American history.”

Still, the records show that the two businesses shared lobbyists, lawyers and consultants. Personal correspondence underscored their friendships, including dinner invitations and a request for lobbying advice.

“One of the rules of science is that you need to have impeccable data collection procedures,” said Bill Barr, a neuropsychologist who once worked for the Jets and who has in the past criticized the committee’s work.

By excluding so many concussions, Mr. Barr said, “You’re not doing science here; you are putting forth some idea that you already have.”
Much more in the link above

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 03-24-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:54 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How about that study!

I tend to disagree with anyone who says there is not a difference between risk level between sports at the youth level.

Go watch a U10 soccer practice and then a U10 tackle football practice. Even with all the heads up practice in the world you are still hitting heads because you have to to tackle. Maybe its just different in Texas.

My son wont play until much later in life, if at all. My guess would be at all since he will not know how to play in pads like others coming up playing at the 6-12 level.

Last edited by bent09; 03-30-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Texas isn't different than anywhere else in the South. That said, I didn't play a snap of tackle football until age 12, and I started every game I played.

Agility is the number one football need across all positions. Hand coordination and ball skills come second. Anyone can be taught to tackle.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...l/nfl-cte.html
Old 07-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Very sad Tremendous athletes and often times this is a death sentence.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Yes very sad. I wonder if there has been any improvement as the helmets have improved. Anyone who played football prior to the 80's had arguably miserable helmets. I played for 3 years in 79-81, and the helmets from the 70's were plastic shells with webbing - little to no padding. The new ones in the 80's at least were heavily padded. Back in that time, coaches were literally telling us to hit with our helmets. Helmet to helmet collisions were celebrated - the more marks on your helmet the more bragging rights you had.

A collision is still a collision, so maybe not a huge difference, but would be curious if the advancements are helping.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I moved the last three posts here so it doesn't get locked down when the season starts.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:07 PM

Old 08-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,294 Likes on 954 Posts
Oh Rog

Tuesday?s Mashup: Roger Goodell downplays CTE study, says NFL players getting healthier | WEEI

AROUND THE WEB:

-- Roger Goodell was at the Jets facility on Monday and answered questions from fans at a forumwith the team’s rookie safety Jamal Adams.

While talking about improvements to player safety, the NFL commissioner downplayed the link between football and degenerative brain disease from concussions.

“The average NFL player lives five years longer than you,” Goodell said. “So their lifespan is actually longer and healthier. And I think because of all the advancements, including the medical care, that number is going to even increase for them.”

A recent study revealed 110 of 111 brains donated by NFL players showed signs of CTE.

“I think the one thing everyone agrees on is there’s an awful lot more questions than there are answers at this point,” Goodell said.

Adams sat right beside Goodell during the forum and said he is willing to lose his life on the football field.

“Literally, I would — if I had a perfect place to die, I would die on the field,” Adams said. “And that’s not a lie. There’s so much sacrifice that we go through as a team, and just connecting as one and winning ballgames. There’s nothing like playing the game of football. But again, I’m all about making the game safer, that’s all I can say.
Goodell showed no emotion as Adams said this, but addressed the comments with the media after the forum.

“What he was really making the point of is how much he loves the game and how passionate he is of the game — that he loves playing it, and it’s just something that means a great deal to him,” Goodell said. “I think the fans understood the emotion of what he was saying.”

This comes just days after the NFL and National Institute of Health decided to end their brain research partnership.
nist7 (08-04-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Very sad too me how much money is made and how much damage is done due to denial and the peddling of doubt in the face of undeniable evidence.

I'm also very curious (skeptical) about his average life span number.
nist7 (08-04-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,294 Likes on 954 Posts
Sure they're healthy because they diet and exercise unlike a typical McD's eating couch potato American. But that takes away from the CTE discussion. Pointless fact from Rog.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it must suck to get into your 50's and cant remember chit. cant remember what you last ate. cant remember where you parked.
not to mention the mood swings.

hope the players are smart and use their earnings to create lasting empires for their family.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Sure they're healthy because they diet and exercise unlike a typical McD's eating couch potato American. But that takes away from the CTE discussion. Pointless fact from Rog.
The study IS misleading though. People are taking away that all football players must have brain damage because most of the brains studied did, but it stands to reason that they were donated because the families suspected there would be damage. It would be valuable to know what actual percentage of players end up with damage, and then compare that to the general population and other vocations such as soccer.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2
The study IS misleading though. People are taking away that all football players must have brain damage because most of the brains studied did, but it stands to reason that they were donated because the families suspected there would be damage. It would be valuable to know what actual percentage of players end up with damage, and then compare that to the general population and other vocations such as soccer.
The study is not misleading. It was very good science. What you said is a true and genuine limitation of the study and the authors of that study themselves publicaly said it so. They said that future studies would need to have more brains from more NFL players since you're right..so far the brains donated are those who showed symptoms.

So if the NFL is truly committed to player safety they need to put MORE money and time into this research since Goodell himself said there are more questions and answers...and they just essentially backed out of a big NIH study as posted earlier.

Damn hypocrits. Not surprising as they make billions off of these athletes and anything that can curtail profits are gonna be not in their best interest.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM

I don't think the study is misleading but brian2 has a good point about the sample size. I don't think you can draw any hard conclusions about the population without broader analysis. But I think the study is very clear that this IS a problem and a serious one, the entire population is at risk, but yet to be determined what % that risk actually is. But it's closer to high than low IMHO.

The NFL is going to be in a tough spot as more data comes out, but then also there are plenty of people in this country that will risk their long-term health for fame and fortune.

Quick Reply: NFL: NFL's Concussion Crisis