Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2015 Off-Season News and Soft Supple Balls Discussion Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
This right here shatters any credibility this lawyer has.

He's actually trying to make the case that the nickname "deflator" really refers to someone losing weight, and not someone who's job is LITERALLY inflating/deflating game balls. Really.

I hope Goodell sticks it to them just for thinking we are all THAT stupid.
Just remember at this point only Brady has appealed. You could say Goodell has already stuck it to the Pats. Time will tell if they decide to appeal, but all signs are certainly pointing in that direction.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Bradys appeal letter to have Goodell removed as arbitrator

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.n...eal_Letter.pdf
Old 05-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Story from 2006 with former NFL QB David Carr and Also Tom Brady. - David Carr spoke about deflating footballs in 2006
Old 05-18-2015, 07:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
^It's true. Many QB's have admitted to this. I guess Brady was the one who got caught. Speaking of inconsistencies. Read this article about Goodell and NFL:

Dan Le Batard: NFL, Roger Goodell have incredible credibility issue | Miami Herald Miami Herald

Does the NFL have integrity?

A stained commissioner will soon hear the appeal of a stained champion after the league hit the New England Patriots with a Lifetime Achievement Award For Cheating over a random rule none of us even knew was a rule.

Never mind that “violent bloodsport” and “integrity” don’t usually have any great need to coexist … unless you require corporate sponsors to believe your popular product is purer than it actually is.

And never mind that the two stories that engulfed the sport before this one — Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson — left us all wondering whether we literally had to hide the women and children.

And never mind that it is pretty hard to claim and protect integrity when one NFL owner is paying a $92 million settlement to truckers to make a federal fraud indictment vanish … and another owner insists on keeping a racist slur as his team’s nickname … and another owner is getting arrested with a briefcase full of pills and $29,000 cash … and another owner is allegedly being sextorted for Internet photos … and all the owners are paying a $765 million settlement to try and get their concussed former employees to go away while the current bigger-stronger-faster employees may or may not be tilting the allegedly even playing field with human-growth hormone.

Regardless, commissioner Roger Goodell’s campaign platform has largely been about building and protecting integrity. He is a glorified PR agent this way, making $44 million a year, earning more by a lot since 2007 than any of the league’s quarterbacks, and he does this as a shield for The Shield. He is a piñata in protecting and enforcing the desires of his owners, again and again taking the beating alone as candy continues to spill all over the NFL’s floor.

Goodell came to fame punishing and over-punishing those who dared to stain the league’s image. That the most punitive commissioner in the history of games stained it himself, ironically enough, by handling the Rice case too leniently, ironically enough, is a testament to the dangers of appointing yourself moral authority over something inherently impure.

That his random punishment system, making up the rules as he goes, keeps negative stories in the news cycle longer than normal as we debate and await over-punishment is not great for that image and integrity he’s trying so zealously to protect. We don’t do this in other sports with more uniform penalty codes and less off-field integrity policing, arguing for weeks and months what a penalty should be because we have no earthly idea what it will be. So, in the negative-news cycle at least, Goodell somehow makes the league’s image worse while trying to make it better, which is awfully clumsy work by someone who has put himself in charge of public relations.

But what do you do, as a league, when you don’t actually have as much integrity as you badly wish for others to believe you have? You punish and over-punish in protection of that integrity you don’t have to give the illusion that you have it to protect.

So now you have a commissioner who lacks credibility hearing the appeal of a champion organization that lacks credibility. The league’s independent investigator wrote 243 pages worth of incrimination to protect the integrity of its game, and the Patriots filed a lawyerly 19,600-word rebuttal to protect their integrity, and none of us still really understands empirically how much of an advantage was actually gained by breaking a random rule none of us knew was a rule. And the independent investigator then had to do a conference call to protect his independence and his 243 pages because nobody trusts anybody in this transaction. It’s like watching the ending of The Departed.

Just what you got into sports for, right? Reading. Lawyers. Chemists. PSI. Ideal Gas Law. This while Aaron Rodgers says, yeah, he liked to overinflate footballs because, well, he wants you to know he could throw for 400 yards and four touchdowns with a beach ball.

You know when Goodell went from very popular to very unpopular? There was a tipping point. He entered to much applause as the ironfisted emperor because America tends to love the punisher platform, but it all changed when he investigated the Saints the way he has the Patriots. Former and current players shrugged off the New Orleans bounty scandal, because that kind of thing was so common in their barbaric game, but Goodell The Outsider and Overseer had to protect an image and integrity and, with concussions in the news, player health. So he did his move. He over-punished. And all his decisions were overturned on appeal by anyone who fought them. Right then, the employees felt emboldened to trash their own commissioner publicly, and have done so since.

Which means the commissioner has, with the Saints case and the botched Rice case, more failed investigations on his résumé than the Patriots have alleged cheating on theirs. It is fairly and literally incredible, putting him in charge of the credibility of others given his present credibility predicament. It’s like seeing the courtroom judge banging a gavel while wearing an orange jumpsuit and shackles.

Better to just imagine this entire Patriots “scandal” as a professional wrestling match. Tom Brady vs. Roger Goodell. The Golden Boy vs. The OverPunisher. A fight for the ages, a fight for INTEGRITY! The media and fans howl with bloodlust outside the ring, making so much noise, screaming “Liar!” and “Cheater!” The script’s story line is so exciting, sports being soap opera for males, that you hardly notice that the fight for integrity is all kinds of fake. And, oh yeah, nobody really gets too harmed here, either, and the arena always remains full.

The Patriots mess hasn’t been bad for the NFL in any empirical way. There won’t be a single dollar or single fan lost. The NFL’s slow-period offseason just stole the sports-news cycle from the playoffs of basketball and hockey with soap-opera nonsense. There has been damage to Brady’s public persona, yes, but that’s only if you believe in the mythology of sports that makes athletes heroes instead of humans. And the Patriots, well, we already knew they were dark-alley junkies about competition and loopholes. What’s their quarterback getting four games compared with their quarterback getting four trophies?

There’s something larger here, though, that requires monitoring once we get past the noisy scandal du jour. Goodell has more reasons than ever to over-punish now. Despite his own scandal and maybe because of it, he’s incentivized now to over-punish in protection of his own integrity and his own public relations and his own rear end. And he can make the players’ union — his partners, mind you, the partners he keeps trampling — look like the bad guys for fighting on behalf of terrible martyrs in appeal. The union seems to be questioning and appealing everything he is doing now, but it isn’t fighting on behalf of rule-breakers and cheaters and criminals; the union is fighting for a uniform set of rules collectively bargained with a commissioner whose punishment system isn’t credible or consistent or negotiated with his partners.

Goodell somehow emerged from a Rice mess that caused the league all manner of shame to basically announce that he had appointed himself societal leader on domestic abuse — from calls for his resignation to more power to punish, in other words. He went from randomly making up a two-game penalty for Rice to randomly making up a 10-game penalty for Greg Hardy that the players’ union has to appeal because, well, he’s totally making it up as he goes along.

Who cares, right? Hardy did horrible things and deserves huge punishment. But here’s where you might want to be careful with that: Sometimes we hate the crime so much that we don’t mind or don’t notice who is doing the punishing and how. When 9-11 happens, we don’t mind as much that the police profile or the government tramples civil rights. When pedophilia happens, we don’t mind so much that the NCAA steps outside of its jurisdiction to trample Penn State and don’t notice when the NCAA has to reduce all those penalties afterward because of their unfairness. Most people don’t want the government and NCAA or this NFL commissioner having more power under normal circumstances, but some crimes and fear bring applause for the powerful getting more power even if they can’t be trusted with that power.

Goodell granted yet more power to punish after bungling the Rice mess so badly that an arbitrator ruled in favor of Rice’s reinstatement?

That doesn’t happen in a workplace of integrity.

It only happens in a workplace interested in protecting the illusion of it.

Read more here: Dan Le Batard: NFL, Roger Goodell have incredible credibility issue | Miami Herald Miami Herald
Old 05-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
Kraft: We Admit It...We Cheats...

The New England Patriots will accept the NFL's punishment for their involvement in the "Deflategate" scandal and will not launch an appeal.

The team was fined $1 million and docked two draft picks after an NFL investigation revealed it's likely team employees and quarterback Tom Brady conspired to doctor footballs ahead of the AFC Championship Game.

"I accept, reluctantly, what (NFL commissioner Roger Goodell) has given to us," team owner Robert Kraft announced Tuesday.

Kraft acknowledged that his decision will likely upset many Patriots fans but indicated he believes he's acting in the best interests of the league.

Kraft opened by saying he believes all parties can agree the scandal has stretched far too long into the offseason.

"I have two options - I can end it or extend it," Kraft said. "At no time should the agenda of one team outweigh the collective good of the 32."

And so, Kraft will end it. Or, rather, he will "reluctantly" accept his $1 million fine and forfeit a 2016 first-round pick and a 2017 fourth-rounder.

Kraft made no mention of Brady's ongoing suspension appeal, which will lead many to conclude he has been assured by Goodell that Brady's four-game ban will ultimately be reduced - especially in light of a report that Kraft and Goodell were recently spotted hugging and chatting.

That doesn't seem to be the case - not yet, at least. Kraft's decision not to appeal was made without assurance that Brady's penalty will be reduced, according to Greg A. Bedard of Sports Illustrated.

Until Brady's appeal concludes, "Deflategate" will remain in the headlines. Until Brady actually watches the season opener from home, the possibility of the two parties reaching a compromise that reduces his suspension will remain in play.
theScore

<--- Hater who is hating...
Old 05-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
Old 05-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
That made me so happy right now......
Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 PM

Or......... It's a political move so that the league eases up on Brady.

$1M is a large fine no doubt but not a big deal for the Pats.
Losing draft picks are definitely a hit, but the Pats seemingly build their teams via trades, acquisitions and free agency.

Again as I have said its all part of the drama of this story. I agree with Kraft in that this needs to be put behind the league and the team.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

^ I definitely agree that it's a political move to take the PRESSURE (get it?) off Brady
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
^ I definitely agree that it's a political move to take the PRESSURE (get it?) off Brady
Yeah, yeah

Also helps relieves political issues with Goodell as well.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes...definitely to help SOFTEN the punishment to Mr. Supple-Balls.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yumcha:
97BlackAckCL (05-19-2015), NBP04TL4ME (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

...at least that's the hope.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Yes...definitely to help SOFTEN the punishment to Mr. Supple-Balls.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Because, you know...being Mr. Pretty-Golden-Boi...he can't take HARD times. Gotta go easy and SOFT on him.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:41 PM

I prefer, "Kraft takes it in the behind so Brady can play with soft balls".
97BlackAckCL (05-20-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 PM

Hey - whatever works. Kraft is smart and a billionaire and that's not a coincidence.

Believe it or not he is following "the needs of the many (31 other franchises and the NFL) outweigh the needs of the few (Patriots)."
Old 06-05-2015, 07:38 PM

For anyone that is interested, the judge has tentatively set Dec 1 as the start of jury selection in the 2012 double murder case for Aaron Hernandez.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
For anyone that is interested, the judge has tentatively set Dec 1 as the start of jury selection in the 2012 double murder case for Aaron Hernandez.
I'm more interested in Brady's games suspended.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:22 AM

I'm more interested in Brady's games suspended.
Yeah, yeah - I believe June 23rd is the date you are interested in
Old 06-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Another Patriot in trouble. Already cut

Brandon Spikes released by New England Patriots
Old 06-08-2015, 11:16 AM

^^^ You beat me to it. 3:30AM Sunday morning Mass State Police found a 2011 Mercedes Maybach registered to Spikes abandoned in the median on Rt. 495. Driver reported to OnStar that they had hit a deer. Around the same time another passenger car reported being rear ended by a car they did not see. The three passengers reported minor injuries but are fine. Mass State Police found no signs of a hit deer, but Spikes' car had significant damage to the front end. It's all circumstantial at this point but it is quite the coincidence.
Spikes was let go after the 2013/14 season and played last year for the Bills. He had a couple of things to say that weren't favorable to Patriots and Bellichick coaching when he landed in Buffalo. He was actually surprised the Pats signed him to a one year deal this off season, but only had $25K in guaranteed money. He was quoted as saying he had grown up and matured quite a bit and was happy to be back. He wasn't back long as he didn't even make it out of OTAs.................

More fodder for Yummy
Old 06-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

How deflated were the airbags?
Old 06-08-2015, 11:34 AM

Can't tell as the car is under a tarp in a secured tow yard.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

How deflated were the tires?
fify
Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Can't tell as the car is under a tarp in a secured tow yard.
The Pats covered it up already? Wow...good work. They are fast at this sorta stuff nao.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Yeah, Hernandez was released the same day too, they're getting good
Old 06-08-2015, 01:15 PM

The Pats covered it up already? Wow...good work. They are fast at this sorta stuff nao.
Very good Yummy.

Just keep in mind they cut ties with him and the tarp, so all will come out later........
Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM

^^^ You beat me to it. 3:30AM Sunday morning Mass State Police found a 2011 Mercedes Maybach registered to Spikes abandoned in the median on Rt. 495. Driver reported to OnStar that they had hit a deer. Around the same time another passenger car reported being rear ended by a car they did not see. The three passengers reported minor injuries but are fine. Mass State Police found no signs of a hit deer, but Spikes' car had significant damage to the front end. It's all circumstantial at this point but it is quite the coincidence.
Spikes was let go after the 2013/14 season and played last year for the Bills. He had a couple of things to say that weren't favorable to Patriots and Bellichick coaching when he landed in Buffalo. He was actually surprised the Pats signed him to a one year deal this off season, but only had $25K in guaranteed money. He was quoted as saying he had grown up and matured quite a bit and was happy to be back. He wasn't back long as he didn't even make it out of OTAs.................

More fodder for Yummy
Sheesh - 25K might be enough to fix the Maybach.

I thought the Pats script would be to first insist that it was a deer and demand an apology from everyone who said different - even though no one saw it and the evidence all points away from it - they they'll fall on their sword it was a deer. That is until they can find an expendable employee who will admit he made the whole deer thing up but it's not Spikes fault - he was innocent the whole time. Then they'll file motions with the league over something unrelated and we'll all forget about the deer that never was.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:16 PM

You are mixing up Hernandez with Brady........
Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 PM

This one is for Yummy - Joe Montana Says His Offensive Linemen Used to Cheat by Spraying Silicone on Their Jerseys
Old 06-09-2015, 01:43 PM

^

What Montana said: "Once you get caught, you get caught. Period."

What Brady did: Once you get caught, lie about it. Evade questions. Hide behind your agent. Challenge the punishment.

97BlackAckCL (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 01:52 PM

It will definitely be interesting to see how this all plays out. From Brady's perspective, I think it's called plausible deniability.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:01 PM

^ I will give up my hate eventually. When the Pats are 0-5 to start the season I'll feel better.

However I don't know if plausible deniability works for Brady or any NFL quarterback. I don't think it's plausible that any pro quarterback would not notice an under inflated ball. A quarterback's one job is to take the ball and give it to someone else. That's all they do. I can't believe that the one thing they touch thousands of times a year, tens or hundreds of thousands of times over a lifetime, that is the center of the one job they have to do, can be under-inflated without direction and consent.

It's like a golfer using an illegal ball that had a different weight or texture. You can't make an argument with a straight face that a golfer would not notice something like that the minute they picked it up.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by 1Louder
^ I will give up my hate eventually. When the Pats are 0-5 to start the season I'll feel better.

However I don't know if plausible deniability works for Brady or any NFL quarterback. I don't think it's plausible that any pro quarterback would not notice an under inflated ball. A quarterback's one job is to take the ball and give it to someone else. That's all they do. I can't believe that the one thing they touch thousands of times a year, tens or hundreds of thousands of times over a lifetime, that is the center of the one job they have to do, can be under-inflated without direction and consent.
The equipment guys had no reason to deflate the balls after they were inspected unless they were instructed to do so. There's not deniability here
Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 PM

^
Old 06-09-2015, 08:55 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
The equipment guys had no reason to deflate the balls after they were inspected unless they were instructed to do so. There's not deniability here
Well they are Patriot fans, wanting their team to win.....
97BlackAckCL (06-10-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 06-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh...so, THOSE are the hands that like to grip limp, supple ballz...
97BlackAckCL (06-17-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Oh...so, THOSE are the hands that like to grip limp, supple ballz...
Jealousy is a bitch - huh?

Quick Reply: NFL: 2015 Off-Season News and Soft Supple Balls Discussion Thread