Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2016 Off-Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
First Rondo...now, Wade...two of my most disliked NBA players...Bulls.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 07-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
First Rondo...now, Wade...two of my most disliked NBA players...Bulls.
i like D Wade what's wrong with him?
Old 07-06-2016, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DIZAZNDOOD320
i like D Wade what's wrong with him?
I developed quite the dislike for him when him, Bosh, and LeBron hit UFA and basically played the Bulls and other teams like idiots when none of them intended to sign anywhere but Miami.

Then, as a Heat with the 2 others, he was even easier to dislike just for his style of play...

Rondo was the same...I developed quite the dislike for him as a Celtic. So, to see both as Bulls...it's reallllly weird for me.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

So, Butler, Wade and Rondo...interesting rebuild to replace Gasol and Rose as the primary point-getters...it's not terrible but it won't get past Cleveland...and forget the 200+ points per night Warriors...
Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Next season is going to be very weird with so many players in different uniforms
The following users liked this post:
Aman (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I am gonna be a little confused as well.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:06 AM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing Wade in a Bulls uniform. Turns out this next season won't be as bad as we thought. I'm just wondering how good will we be at the center position??
Old 07-07-2016, 12:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Pat Riley needs to go to a senior citizen's care home and rot there..
Old 07-07-2016, 07:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
^Come on man. We just lost our 2 starting forwards and have literally 2 guys left from our last championship. You can't overpay for a 34 year old player even if it's Wade. Riley let Zo go too. Riley takes care of the Heat org, not Wade's bank acct. Yeah it sucks and he was one of my favorite players but it's a tough situation to be in and I 100000000% get why Wade would leave even if for just a little more money that can be offset by state tax. Sadly Wade never was the highest player in ANY single season on his own TEAM. Yes Jermaine O'Neal made more than Wade thus 15 win season. Asianspec, Riley is one of the main reasons we have 3 rings. Wade deserves way more credit for his off the court contributions (Big 3 formation, salary discounts, use Chicago as leverage sorry Yum ) for 2 of those rings but you don't step to the Godfather.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:24 AM
Derek

Received 143 Likes on 104 Posts
Not sure what the point of Wade to the Bulls was, other than money. Guess Mrs. Wade is becoming a little more high maintenance, since she has really done any movies in a good while. Wade has to make up the salary difference.

Howard won't be in the league much longer if things don't work out in ATL, and TD and the other aging Spurs are probably done after this season. It has been proven, more so this year, that the vets just can't keep up with the younger players. Pops' strategy of resting them periodically hasn't paid off, so, them being another year older is not going to help the situation there. They would be wise to retire while they are still respected.

Durant and the Warriors will be a fine fit, because he is Green's replacement. Don't be surprised if Green either gets significantly reduced playing time, or traded. If not traded, GS will go with Thompson/Curry/Durant in the back court on a regular basis, depending on which teams they are playing. You joke about those 200 points a night, I bet they are going to come close to that/do just that, just to set another record.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Team Owner

Draymond getting traded? Not at 16MM per year which is a huge discount for a player his caliber. Remember KD got a one and one contract so he can up and leave whenever he wants. He has no obligation to stay in KD like Lebron does to Cleveland. Green singed a 5 year deal last year so he's cheap considering Ryan Anderson, Harrison Barnes (who sucked in the Finals unlike Green who carried them), and freaking Bismack Biyombo make more

Wade left to Chicago because that's where he's from even though Jimmy Butler is entrenched in his position and Rondo is more of a PG than Wade. Plus he was upset about never being the highest paid player, being 3rd in free agents the Heat dealt with this offseason after Whiteside and Durant, not getting $25MM per year since this higher cap inflated all the free agent's offers (see Biyombo), and not getting a 3rd year from Miami even though he will be an ancient 37-38 by then. Essentially it was a Kobe contract and Laker fans know how that went. Filled seats don't win games directly.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:53 AM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Hey Yum, maybe LeBron will come to Chicago, too, now that his buddy Wade is there and he has fulfilled his obligation to the Cleveland fans. Then you can start calling them the LeBulls.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:55 AM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
... and then the 2 of them can lure Kobe out of retirement to join them, and they will be the LeBeefyBulls!

Last edited by elessar; 07-07-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Team Owner

Not Kobe. It'll be Paul to complete the banana boat trifecta
Old 07-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by elessar
Hey Yum, maybe LeBron will come to Chicago, too, now that his buddy Wade is there and he has fulfilled his obligation to the Cleveland fans. Then you can start calling them the LeBulls.
If LeBron is a Bull, I quit.

I doubt he'll ever come to Chicago.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (07-11-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm still not sure about this "retool"...Does Wade have anything left? Where does he fit with Rondo and Butler? And now, Bulls are not bad enough to win the lottery but not good enough to get past the elite teams. Just not sure how Wade and Rondo helps in the big-picture. Ah well...I've been bitter for years about the Bulls...what's another?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Team Owner

Wade and Rondo backcourt zero 3 point shooting though Wade can still hit that 20 foot jumper.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by SykVSyx
Not sure what the point of Wade to the Bulls was, other than money. Guess Mrs. Wade is becoming a little more high maintenance, since she has really done any movies in a good while. Wade has to make up the salary difference.

Howard won't be in the league much longer if things don't work out in ATL, and TD and the other aging Spurs are probably done after this season. It has been proven, more so this year, that the vets just can't keep up with the younger players. Pops' strategy of resting them periodically hasn't paid off, so, them being another year older is not going to help the situation there. They would be wise to retire while they are still respected.

Durant and the Warriors will be a fine fit, because he is Green's replacement. Don't be surprised if Green either gets significantly reduced playing time, or traded. If not traded, GS will go with Thompson/Curry/Durant in the back court on a regular basis, depending on which teams they are playing. You joke about those 200 points a night, I bet they are going to come close to that/do just that, just to set another record.
Howard had expressed interest in the Hawks even before the Lakers signed him. He's from ATL, so he's looking not only for his resurgence but likely a place to retire.

As for Green, he's not going anywhere. He can play multiple positions, so there's a good chance Kerr will look have him at the 4, or have KD and him switch out at the 3 and 4 spots together during points of the game.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
^Come on man. We just lost our 2 starting forwards and have literally 2 guys left from our last championship. You can't overpay for a 34 year old player even if it's Wade. Riley let Zo go too. Riley takes care of the Heat org, not Wade's bank acct. Yeah it sucks and he was one of my favorite players but it's a tough situation to be in and I 100000000% get why Wade would leave even if for just a little more money that can be offset by state tax. Sadly Wade never was the highest player in ANY single season on his own TEAM. Yes Jermaine O'Neal made more than Wade thus 15 win season. Asianspec, Riley is one of the main reasons we have 3 rings. Wade deserves way more credit for his off the court contributions (Big 3 formation, salary discounts, use Chicago as leverage sorry Yum ) for 2 of those rings but you don't step to the Godfather.
But this was never about money or Wade's bank account. Wade has always taken a back seat for the team and for other players. Never been in anyways "selfish" other than this year, which was rightfully so. With Riley offering a 10 mil a year contract at first. Id would take that a slap to the face and be offended if all i did was sacrifice my whole career for the better of the team. The terms #heatlifer seems meaningless and more hypocritical now that Wade of all people has left the franchise.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

I'm not disagreeing that Wade didn't deserve to be well paid. Players gotta get paid, teams gotta manage their money wisely and build their team. Riley was in a lose-lose. You pay him too much you Kobe your team. You pay him too little, this happens but at least you can build your team. It's a business. I was just wondering why you, as a Heat fan, would want Riley to retire when he's responsible for making this team as relevant as the Timberwolves upon his arrival to a 3 title franchise. The only people who should be upset are Wade and his friends/family. Are you one of those
Old 07-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

I have more confidence in Riley than GarPax to get a Title.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
who is gonna be GS's 5?

Kevin Love should join GS too and play 5
Old 07-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
who is gonna be GS's 5?

Kevin Love should join GS too and play 5
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
I'm not disagreeing that Wade didn't deserve to be well paid. Players gotta get paid, teams gotta manage their money wisely and build their team. Riley was in a lose-lose. You pay him too much you Kobe your team. You pay him too little, this happens but at least you can build your team. It's a business. I was just wondering why you, as a Heat fan, would want Riley to retire when he's responsible for making this team as relevant as the Timberwolves upon his arrival to a 3 title franchise. The only people who should be upset are Wade and his friends/family. Are you one of those
Im just upset that people are upset when players make their own decisions and leave the team making them not loyal to their original home fans, then when the organization aren't loyal to players they don't answer to nobody. Yes, everybody is expendable but whos going to be loyal to the Heat after this was exposed. Riley may have brought 3 championships to Miami, but lose somebody like Wade the way that it happen in my mind negates everything he has done. I hate to say it but look at the Spurs, although Duncan has taken paycuts like Wade does, They are still contending every year. The only bad year they had was year before Tim Duncan was drafted. Riley does have a nack for this sort of thing. but then again we are all human and i feel he is wrong on this one.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 AM
Team Owner

Duncan's (and Dirk's) discounts were more significant than Wade's TBH. Even with Wade's expensive contract last year we got a 3 seed by winning our division. I think we take Toronto if Bosh AND Whiteside don't go down.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Derek

Alright, so, I do agree with the "on paper" scenarios for the various trades, however, Wade is greedy, I understand that 5 years ago, he was pretty much at his prime, and felt he should be getting paid what all the other superstars are getting paid, but Riley doesn't really do that kind of thing. Riley likes to get more value for his money, and hasn't really spent HUGE dollars on anyone, maybe other than Shaq, if even?

Wade can play, but Wade doesn't deserve $30M a year at this stage in his career.....he is not worth that, and just because he may FEEL he is worth it, doesn't mean he should get it. It's no different (which is what I am sure he was hoping would happen) with Kobe, career is pretty much over, milk a team for as much as you can before you call it a career. I would be shocked if the Bulls got more than 50-60 games/season out of Wade with this contract......way to shop, Chicago.

The only reason Lebron would go to the Bulls is to try and beat whatever records were attainable that MJ had left, as a bit of cockiness to TRY and say he(Lebron) is the best and he did it on the same team as The Best, did it. lol

Green may not get traded from GS with that contract, but he hasn't made a good case for himself with his ball 'play' against opposing players. Had he not gotten suspended in Game 5, things may have gone the other way for GS. That type of thing for a young team is very distracting, veterans can handle that type of stuff better. GS has improved their chances of being right back there next year with adding KD, but, if they don't win again next year, I suspect there may be some surprising trades.

Miami should look to rely on Bosh less, those health concerns are serious, and hopefully don't cause an issue for him again, but it is definately something they need to monitor closely. Miami will probably be a top 6 team next season, but, I don't think they will be the threat they once were.

Howard is just another big man that has thrown his promising career away, the amount of failed big men in the league is crazy.....guys that had such incredible natural talent, but they were lazy/caught up with life outside the NBA, and then they disappeared. Trade after trade after trade, don't be surprised if you see some of Howard's worst career numbers now that he is in the ATL.

The problem is the money that these GM's are willing to throw to any whiff of a player....Allen Crabbe to the Nets for $75M for 4 years!!! Seriously??

That Ray Allen rumour is hilarious......stop ring shopping, Dude. You retired, thanks for the memories.....that type of desire to return is pretty pathetic.......hardly going to be a major contributor, but wants to try and guarantee a trip to the Finals and/or a ring.....weak.

Richard Jefferson decided not to retire.....wonder what LeBron said to make him change his mind.......Lebron's status is going to be the highlight of the off season......can't wait to hear what he is going to come up with, deciding on what he plans to do.

All in all, knew it was going to be an interesting off season, and it has proven to be just that. Looking forward to seeing what else develops.

As an aside, I am curious to see what is going to happen in the Thon Maker situation as well.....seems to have quieted down for now, but, I am sure as the pre-season approaches, there will be something else that will bring it to the forefront again.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

The salaries in the NBA are ridiculous. As ridiculous as the guns going off killing innocent people....ohhhhh snap...I just went there.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by SykVSyx
His ex-wife wants to reopen his divorce now at such a coincidental time, too.

Dwyane Wade's Ex-Wife Wants to Re-Open Divorce Settlement After New Deal With Bulls | Complex
Old 07-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
There is the gold diggers, and there is Wade's ex wife.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Draymond back at it again kicking people in the nuts

"Draymond Green was arrested for assault in East Lansing early Sunday AM, according to court documents."
Old 07-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Draymond Green arrested

Tim Duncan retires. Another crazy day in the NBA.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
Duncan
Old 07-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I developed quite the dislike for him when him, Bosh, and LeBron hit UFA and basically played the Bulls and other teams like idiots when none of them intended to sign anywhere but Miami.

Then, as a Heat with the 2 others, he was even easier to dislike just for his style of play...

Rondo was the same...I developed quite the dislike for him as a Celtic. So, to see both as Bulls...it's reallllly weird for me.
I fucking HATE Rondo... I'm not going to root for his bitch ass.

Wade I have mixed feelings, as a fellow former Marquette Alum and classmate, I have that connection and he's a good player. Though I still have distaste for him playing the Bulls a few years ago when he had no intention to and his attachment to LBJ...

Jimmy is my #1 guy now, hopefully the Bulls keep Taj, he's a hard worker.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

The crazy thing about Wade's ex's lawsuit, is that she's suing her lawyer because she claims he kept her out of the courtroom and he took a deal that she wasn't aware of. Also she lives in the ATL area now so Wade still avoids her.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cM3go
I fucking HATE Rondo... I'm not going to root for his bitch ass.

Wade I have mixed feelings, as a fellow former Marquette Alum and classmate, I have that connection and he's a good player. Though I still have distaste for him playing the Bulls a few years ago when he had no intention to and his attachment to LBJ...

Jimmy is my #1 guy now, hopefully the Bulls keep Taj, he's a hard worker.
The best comparison is if we saw Laimbeer or Isiah Thomas in Bulls jerseys...

Yeah, just weird to see Wade and Rondo as Bulls -- two players who I loathed in those rivalry years with the Heat and Celtics respectively.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Wasn't surprised about Duncan. I'm sure the Spurs will be a whole new team once the others retire.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Wasn't surprised about Duncan. I'm sure the Spurs will be a whole new team once the others retire.
Would it surprise anyone if they kept going without missing a beat...?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Derek

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
His ex-wife wants to reopen his divorce now at such a coincidental time, too.

Dwyane Wade's Ex-Wife Wants to Re-Open Divorce Settlement After New Deal With Bulls | Complex
Well of course she is trying to get more money.....as Wade gets more, you know she is going to try and get more. Lol, every contract he signs, she is going to come with a lawsuit.

THIS, Gentlemen, is why you make SURE she is wife material and not psycho BEFORE you sleep with her!

Originally Posted by Joneill44
Draymond back at it again kicking people in the nuts

"Draymond Green was arrested for assault in East Lansing early Sunday AM, according to court documents."
"Hi, GS, this is common sense calling(not the rapper), DROP. THIS. FOOL. The distractions are completely counterproductive to what this team is trying to accomplish.......You've got Durant.....Green is easily replaceable. You can heed my words or not, but you WILL regret keeping this player on the roster in the coming season. That's all I am going to say, GS, I am here when you need me."

Would it surprise anyone if they kept going without missing a beat...?
They had this strategy in place from the David Robinson era, keep replacing the pieces with the same pieces, and see what happens. Did you all read Duncan's stats from his college/pro career. Numbers that will probably NEVER be topped.
Tim Duncan Retires After Putting Up Ridiculous Statistics for 19 Seasons

Not sure that they will be quite the force they once were, once Parker and Ginobli call it quits, as well as 'Pops', but that is a group of people that will be forever remembered for an incredible professional sports legacy that hasn't been seen in a very long time.....without the super star-dom that is typically seen.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Duncan, love him or hate him, is an all-time great. Quiet...low-key...

I have nothing but respect for him. Wish more athletes conducted themselves like him to be honest. NBA loses a great one with his retirement.

Quick Reply: NBA: 2016 Off-Season News and Discussion Thread