Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MMA: UFC News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Main, the main event was a good one. That one didn't disappoint at all.
I thought the main card as a whole definitely delivered. Solid fights all around. I can't believe Lesnar survived that first round with Carwin.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
^ +1

He took a hell of a beating. I thought he was done after he covered up and ran away.

Carwin needs some serious cardio work. He could barely move in the second round.

The Bonner fight was damn good too.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Completely fucking speechless...
Old 07-04-2010, 03:42 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
The moment Brock landed a take-down, I told my friends it is over, Brock was gonna win it. That guy's wrestling is amazing enough.

Also, I think it was the second round that he spun out of Carwin's hold to avoid another take-down. The moment I saw it, I said that's definitely a wrestling move.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:20 PM

What do you guys think of UFC 117 though? I don't know if Sonnen would be the best match up for Silva. But who knows what will happen.

Also, I think a VERY underrated fight is Roy Nelson vs Junior Dos Santos. I am excited to see that one go down.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

What do you guys think of UFC 117 though? I don't know if Sonnen would be the best match up for Silva. But who knows what will happen.

Also, I think a VERY underrated fight is Roy Nelson vs Junior Dos Santos. I am excited to see that one go down.
It's definitely going to be a contradiction of styles: the classic wrestler vs. striker match-up. I"d prefer to see Anderson against another striker, but unfortunately there aren't any in his weight class that are quite at his level. Hell there aren't many strikers period that are at his level. I don't think Sonnen has what it takes to beat Silva. But then again, nobody thought he would beat Nate Marquardt, and look what happened.

I'm also very much looking forward to JDS and Big Country. Dana White has already stated that the winner of this fight is the next in line for a title shot (after Cain Velasquez). People underestimate Roy because of his physique, but I think the guy is very underrated. He breezed through TUF with ease, and he's a former IFL champion.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Just watched the Lesnar Carwin fight. Wow Lesnar got the shit beat out of him that first round; other fights I have seen the ref call it in situations like that but not this fight. But after pummeling Lesnar for 4 minutes you could tell Carwin was gone... winded, didn't have much left. Then Second round with Lesnar on top of you, you have no chance. What a comeback.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
omg the undercard for UFC 116 is pretty boring....
Are you kidding me? I thought the undercard bouts were the most entertaining I've seen in a long time. Bonnar and Leben fights were insane. Even Brown and Pellegrino bouts delivered. The crappiest fight was Grove.

BTW, Leben and Grove represented HI well

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
^ +1

He took a hell of a beating. I thought he was done after he covered up and ran away.

Carwin needs some serious cardio work. He could barely move in the second round.

The Bonner fight was damn good too.
Man who can blame Carwin? He was teeing off on Brock with some hard punches for a good 2 minutes in the first round. I'd be gassed after that too. I was surprised the ref didn't stop the fight in the 1st but Lesnar delivered with his submission.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Are you kidding me? I thought the undercard bouts were the most entertaining I've seen in a long time. Bonnar and Leben fights were insane. Even Brown and Pellegrino bouts delivered. The crappiest fight was Grove.
Well, the undercard on paper looked boring. But yea when the fight went live, it was pretty good.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, the undercard on paper looked boring. But yea when the fight went live, it was pretty good.
Oh yea gotcha I didn't even want to go early to watch the undercards but we went to a local sports bar so we had to get there before the start of the fight for seats. It was a good call though.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Man who can blame Carwin? He was teeing off on Brock with some hard punches for a good 2 minutes in the first round. I'd be gassed after that too. I was surprised the ref didn't stop the fight in the 1st but Lesnar delivered with his submission.

Not really blaming him. Just saying that if you come for a title fight, you better have energy past the first round. Sure, all his prior wins happened in the first minute, but that doesn't mean they all will.

I too thought it was going to get called a couple times while Lesnar was taking a beating.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Stand For Something

I find it quite comical how people think Sonnen has a chance against Silva...

It doesn't matter that it's a "contradiction of styles" or the fact that Sonnen "beat Nate Marquardt"...

Anderson Silva, at 185LBS, is 100% UNBEATABLE. His reach is longer than any other fighter, his legs are longer, he is quicker - both defensively and offensively - his reaction time is beyond fast, and there's one little thing people seem to forget... he's a black belt in BJJ. I like Sonnen, but he doesn't have a chance in hell of beating Silva.

And based on Silva's last joke of a performance, and DW tearing him a new asshole because of it, this fight will end in the 1st round. Guaranteed.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ASASN21

It doesn't matter that it's a "contradiction of styles" or the fact that Sonnen "beat Nate Marquardt"...

Anderson Silva, at 185LBS, is 100% UNBEATABLE. His reach is longer than any other fighter, his legs are longer, he is quicker - both defensively and offensively - his reaction time is beyond fast, and there's one little thing people seem to forget... he's a black belt in BJJ. I like Sonnen, but he doesn't have a chance in hell of beating Silva.

And based on Silva's last joke of a performance, and DW tearing him a new asshole because of it, this fight will end in the 1st round. Guaranteed.
That's what I wanted to discuss in UFC 117. Why the hell did Dana pit Sonnen up against Silva? Silva already shown that he can't be taken down easily for a ground game from the Demian Mia fight. So why Sonnen, who is a wrestler?

It's like all Dana did was eenie meenie miny moe, Sonnen it is.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Stand For Something

It's like all Dana did was eenie meenie miny moe, Sonnen it is.
Well, that's about all he can do. As I said, no one is going to beat Silva at Middleweight. So, basically all the middleweights are fighting to be the #1 contender.

That's about it.

EDIT: I completely forgot about Vitor Belfort. He is the only middleweight I believe to have a slight chance against Silva.

Last edited by ASASN21; 07-07-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:15 PM

^ But Belfort hasn't fought in nearly a year.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 PM
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silva and belfort would be a great match. vitor likes to bang and trade. his last 3 fights were KO/TKOs.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

So I can't decide who I despise more, Silva for his mediocre recent 3 fights and absolute clownish behavior against Maia, or Sonnen who talks more smack than Mayweather Jr. It's kind of like when the Lakers play the Celtics, I hate em both so it's win-win for moi. If Chael can take Silva to the ground he has a chance. Of course, I thought the same thing about Maia and his blackbelt BJJ skills and look where it got him.

Undercard looks decent, Fitch, Hughes, Dos Santos and my crazy boy Guida.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
So I can't decide who I despise more, Silva for his mediocre recent 3 fights and absolute clownish behavior against Maia, or Sonnen who talks more smack than Mayweather Jr. It's kind of like when the Lakers play the Celtics, I hate em both so it's win-win for moi. If Chael can take Silva to the ground he has a chance. Of course, I thought the same thing about Maia and his blackbelt BJJ skills and look where it got him.

Undercard looks decent, Fitch, Hughes, Dos Santos and my crazy boy Guida.
I'd love for Silva to go in there and punch Sonnen's teeth out. I thought his last 3 fights were great. He really upped the pressure.. sure he showboats in the ring but it's an emotional draw to get his opponent to open up. Remember how Roy Jones Jr. would posture up dance or go into his Rooster stance.. then when his opponent tried to do the same he'd deliver that undeniable hook. I'm hyped for this fight. I think the reason no one has really pressed to get him on the ground is they obviously respect his BJJ skills. It'll be very interesting to see how both fighters have prepared for this fight. As for the rest of the card..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDWnMXzgeZo
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Safety Car

At first I thought Sonnen's trash talk was pretty amusing, but over the past few months it's become annoying, and in some instances down right ridiculous (saying Lance Armstrong gave himself cancer and then played the victim card??? Then flat out denying it when there is audio of the interview posted online??? Come on ) So although I have not been the biggest Anderson Silva fan as of late, I hope he comes out aggressive and steam rolls this guy.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the card as well. I see Fitch, Junior, and as my upset pick, Almeida, all coming out on top.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Just gotta get through 3 hours of work, then short surf session, and 4pm HST
Old 08-07-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
i didnt even know they were fighting in oakland.

if my UFC buddy was here, we probably wouldve went.

although i saw the prices for some relatively close seats.
$1000 for 2 tickets
Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
All the shit bars I go to are probably too cheap to get it
Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Wow that turned into a black vs. White issue at hooters....

Sad shit....

He whipped silvas ass for 4 1/2 rounds.. Great fight
Old 08-08-2010, 12:10 AM

It's like winning a hand on the river in poker.

I feel really bad for Sonnen though. All that work and in the end it was all for nothing.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

It's like winning a hand on the river in poker.

I feel really bad for Sonnen though. All that work and in the end it was all for nothing.
I think his performance was dominating enough that they will either give him an immediate rematch, or another title shot against the winner of Silva vs. Belfort.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:30 AM

Silva a true champion!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Stand For Something

WW. Really?? Damn...

Cannot believe the performance just put on by Chael Sonnen. My respect for him as a fighter just went from about 5% to 150%. Unbelievable performance. He did what no other fighter in the UFC could do to Silva. That also might be the first time I have seen a fighter do EXACTLY what he said he was going to do in a fight; and back up every ounce of trash talk he gave out.

I really feel for Sonnen... to put on such a spectacular domination of the top fighter in the world for 4 1/2 rounds, and lose to a triangle (which he defended perfectly the entire fight). Heartbreaking...

Just goes to show no matter how well you're doing, one slip-up can cost you the fight.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 AM

The whole card delivered. I hope 118 delivers even half of what we saw tonight.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Wow. Can't believe that fight.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Can't believe people could consider him top p4p after that. He better notgo up to 205 again for Ruas title because he'll get smashed.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 PM

Wrestlers typically control the fight. Sonnen was dominant but he wasn't the better all around fighter. His natural wrestling talent worked very well against Silva. Even reflecting on Dan Henderson's fight against Silva, Dan was also dominant when he took Silva to the mat, but you make one mistake and it's all for nothing. Dan's mistake was standing with Silva.. Chael's mistake was being careless.

Rua vs. Silva would be a great match. Hopefully one that we'll see before either retire.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo

Silva a true champion!
hats off to Chael Sonnen he busted Silvas ass and it was one mistake that took it from him.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Wrestlers typically control the fight. Sonnen was dominant but he wasn't the better all around fighter. His natural wrestling talent worked very well against Silva. Even reflecting on Dan Henderson's fight against Silva, Dan was also dominant when he took Silva to the mat, but you make one mistake and it's all for nothing. Dan's mistake was standing with Silva.. Chael's mistake was being careless.

Rua vs. Silva would be a great match. Hopefully one that we'll see before either retire.
look at clay guida and jon fitch, they both have excellent wrestling backgrounds and dominated the mat on their fights. I think silva got a huge wake up call to train more take down defense and mat control on fighters that have strong wrestling backgrounds.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL

Originally Posted by Shadzilla
I think his performance was dominating enough that they will either give him an immediate rematch, or another title shot against the winner of Silva vs. Belfort.
Yep, middleweight division is a lot thinner than light heavyweight. Chael will get his chance at rematch.

WW. Really?? Damn...

Cannot believe the performance just put on by Chael Sonnen. My respect for him as a fighter just went from about 5% to 150%. Unbelievable performance. He did what no other fighter in the UFC could do to Silva. That also might be the first time I have seen a fighter do EXACTLY what he said he was going to do in a fight; and back up every ounce of trash talk he gave out.

I really feel for Sonnen... to put on such a spectacular domination of the top fighter in the world for 4 1/2 rounds, and lose to a triangle (which he defended perfectly the entire fight). Heartbreaking...

Just goes to show no matter how well you're doing, one slip-up can cost you the fight.
Chael's Achilles heel is and always has been an inability to counter submissions. Look at his track record. I knew this was a vulnerability, Silva was prying for the arm bar since the 3rd round and once he worked his legs up Chael's torso it was game over.

This will light a fire under Silva's ass to improve his ground game.

My boy Guida did good, 1st time I've seen a tapout from jaw dislocation. 1st time I've seen an opponent put to sleep like Hughes did with that modified Anaconda or whatever. Fitch came on strong, dominated Pitbull, will have his chance against GSP after he beats the crap out of Koscheck. Thiago is cutting too much weight prior to his matches, it shows as he gets gassed quickly.

Roy Nelson is a tough son of a bitch, mad props for going the distance.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonnen never taped. Hitting the guys leg once is not a tap. Silver was fucked the whole fight, and I was glad to see him get his ass handed to him. Sonnen Should get a rematch ASAP for the title again, because that ref is a clown. Silver should not be the champ right now.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

That fight left me thinking two things: one is what rick said above. The other, unfortunately, is that it left me with some doubt about JDS' finishing ability. I mean, if he can't finish Big Country, is he going to be able to finish a guy like Lesnar or Velasquez, one of whom is now guaranteed to be his next opponent?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Roy Nelson is an inspiration to us fatass martial artists.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spike TL
Sonnen never taped. Hitting the guys leg once is not a tap. Silver was fucked the whole fight, and I was glad to see him get his ass handed to him. Sonnen Should get a rematch ASAP for the title again, because that ref is a clown. Silver should not be the champ right now.

That whole fight.. I kept thinking.. who does this redneck sob remind me of.. hmm.. OH!!!! Cabbage!!! LOL. Where the hell is that guy.

Originally Posted by mystikk
Roy Nelson is an inspiration to us fatass martial artists.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
1st TL-S on air in

That whole fight.. I kept thinking.. who does this redneck sob remind me of.. hmm.. OH!!!! Cabbage!!! LOL. Where the hell is that guy.

Washed out drunk here in hawaii His last fight was back in 2008. If he doesnt ko you in the first round he will be gassed out and will just eat shots until he gets his one punch knockout.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Wesley-Correira-2829

Last edited by wrxyboy; 08-10-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Spike TL
WTFBBQ? On the replays it sure looked like he tapped his hand on Silva's thigh and Rosenthal was right there.

Originally Posted by Shadzilla

That fight left me thinking two things: one is what rick said above. The other, unfortunately, is that it left me with some doubt about JDS' finishing ability. I mean, if he can't finish Big Country, is he going to be able to finish a guy like Lesnar or Velasquez, one of whom is now guaranteed to be his next opponent?
Can't say Dos Santos wasn't throwing 110% behind his punches though. Nelson can take some punishment no doubt.

Cabbage LOL. Reminds me of watching Butterbean take some punishment back in day at the Blaisdell.

Quick Reply: MMA: UFC News and Discussion Thread