Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by FastAcura
I know what they're thinking, scudetto!
Yeah, but the idea of it makes me
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Looks like the USA is no longer overrated with the new FIFA rankings (well, I still think they are, but hey... who am I?)....

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

1. Brazil
2. Italy
3. Argentina
4. France
5. England
6. Netherlands
7. Spain
8. Portugal
9. Germany
10. Czech Republic
11. Nigeria
12. Cameroon
13. Switzerland
14. Uruguay
15. Ukraine
16. USA
17. Denmark
18. Mexico
19. Paraguay
20. Ivory Coast
Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Looks like they changed the formula.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:44 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

How in the world did Nigeria and Cameroon get up there, they didn't even make the World Cup Finals? Where's Ghana, who actually went into the round of 16? Looks like the formula needs more tweaking.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Looks like the USA is no longer overrated with the new FIFA rankings (well, I still think they are, but hey... who am I?)....

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

1. Brazil
2. Italy
3. Argentina
4. France
5. England
6. Netherlands
7. Spain
8. Portugal
9. Germany
10. Czech Republic
11. Nigeria
12. Cameroon
13. Switzerland
14. Uruguay
15. Ukraine
16. USA
17. Denmark
18. Mexico
19. Paraguay
20. Ivory Coast
.<----grain of salt
Old 07-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Yeah, they're not worth much (almost like the BCS), but they do exist for some reason
Old 07-12-2006, 11:52 AM
goldeneye style

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good lord those rankings are still completely whack... whoever came up with the reasoning behind that is on crack. you'd think theyd base a lot of it off this past world cup seeing as its an opportunity for them to really see what teams have and its only once every 4 years.... but noooo. sure, a few teams are where they should be, but others i'm confused about

not like i really pay attention to the rankings anymore anyways, but still, if this ranking system were actually more accurate i think it would be much better for the game and fun to follow. right now everyone always seems to dismiss fifa rankings.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:11 PM
goldeneye style

dont know if we have any other manchester united followers here (i know gocubs is an arsenal fan haha bastard) but anyways... pics of the new united kit leaked so i thought id post em up here: first the home kit:

http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndexphp6tc.jpg

then heres the away kit and there was a rumor the front would be gold actually and with AIG sponsor on there but who knows: http://img192.imageshack.us/my.php?i...681710z4nt.jpg

not as bad as i thought it would be. old school retro look to commemorate the "busby babes" back in the day. only keeping this kits for one year and then next year there will be 3 new kits completely: home, away and 3rd.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by moonraker
dont know if we have any other manchester united followers here (i know gocubs is an arsenal fan haha bastard) but anyways... pics of the new united kit leaked so i thought id post em up here: first the home kit:

http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndexphp6tc.jpg

then heres the away kit and there was a rumor the front would be gold actually and with AIG sponsor on there but who knows: http://img192.imageshack.us/my.php?i...681710z4nt.jpg

not as bad as i thought it would be. old school retro look to commemorate the "busby babes" back in the day. only keeping this kits for one year and then next year there will be 3 new kits completely: home, away and 3rd.
Yeah, the MUFC kit looks similar to the new Inter kit, with the white collars. Looks like retro is still in.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by phipark
Yeah, this is outdoor too. I just always hope that everyone else is in the same shape I'm in.
Well, as it turns out, I was in better shape than anyone else on my team. The bad part is that I'm playing with a lot of younger guys and they don't understand team play.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:56 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Somehow, even after a lackluster worldcup, Brazil still shows up on top
Old 07-13-2006, 09:13 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Adriano and C. Ronaldo swap?

Latest rumours have Inter trading Adriano to MU for C. Ronaldo. This might make sense, if Inter gets Toni and Ibrahimovic, there might be no room for Adriano.

I love the summer transfer season. 90% of it is false, but it's fun.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

In other soccer news:

Kurt was playing last night for about half an hour and had his playing time cut short...by injury.

I basically did a slight tear of my right quad as a went to take a pass that was a little behind me on a run on goal. I couldn't walk back to seat myself on the bleachers on the sidelines. I tried to get to my car, and that was a mistake. I couldn't even drive home. I had to call my brother to come get me, and also take me to the dr this morning. I guess there is nothing an ice gel pack wrapped around your leg and a couple vikes in the system can't fix. No work for me today...or tomorrow...or for a couple days.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
In other soccer news:

Kurt was playing last night for about half an hour and had his playing time cut short...by injury.

I basically did a slight tear of my right quad as a went to take a pass that was a little behind me on a run on goal. I couldn't walk back to seat myself on the bleachers on the sidelines. I tried to get to my car, and that was a mistake. I couldn't even drive home. I had to call my brother to come get me, and also take me to the dr this morning. I guess there is nothing an ice gel pack wrapped around your leg and a couple vikes in the system can't fix. No work for me today...or tomorrow...or for a couple days.
Wow. Some people just take flopping to a whole new level.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

In other soccer news:

That's too bad. You have to remember that you're not that young anymore.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Not Asian

In other soccer news:

weak

we're the same age
Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
In other soccer news:

link?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:52 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

link?
I think it is covered by the Daily Mirror.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 AM
I

Talking

Originally Posted by F-C
I think it is covered by the Daily Mirror.
pffft, gotta be BS then.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

link?
Thanks ass.

No work...or anything for that matter for a couple days. No soccer for at least a month. No extended effort for a couple weeks. Ha! I don't put in extended effort anywhere for any reason.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I

Just read that it looks like "only" Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina will be relegated to Serie B.

Juve will go into the season with negative 20 points.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:14 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Just read that it looks like "only" Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina will be relegated to Serie B.

Juve will go into the season with negative 20 points.
The judgement was supposed to be handed out at 1pm EST (that's 12pm for you FA ). But they just announced that it's been delayed for 1 hour. Hurry up stupid Italians!

-20 points in Serie B pretty much equals a two year ban on Serie A.

Last edited by F-C; 07-14-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:11 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

The verdicts are in!

Juventus in Serie B with -30 points
Milan in Serie A with -15 points and no Champions League
Fiorentina in Serie B with -15 points
Lazio in Serie B with -7 points

I was looking foward to harsher penalties, but the point redections are pretty big.

Now we just have to wait for the appeals process.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Go B's Go

WOW its gonna take Juve a while to get back up to Serie A, its obviously not going to be the same team. Many of the stars will leave.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:12 PM
goldeneye style

interesting... i guess milan didnt have as much to do with it as i thought they did, since theyre still in serie A at least. now lets see what happens with the players

also, ruud van nistelrooy has said he wants to leave United. bayern and real madrid have already been mentioned as the top bidders. United also rumored to be tryin to nab fernando torres from athletico madrid (22 yr old who plays for spain, great player) as a replacement for ruud. heinze is staying at United, contrary to rumors he was being lured to Madrid. and then who knows what the hell is happening on cristiano ronaldo... way too many rumors going around with him... united say he isnt for sale, but we'll see what happens.

bayern munich are looking strong if they can pick up nistelrooy and then theyll have the duo of podolski and him up front... killer. lost ballack, got podolski, possibly nistelrooy... i think they came out ok on that deal, as long as someone steps up in the midfield.

im also interested to see if chelsea has the same problem real madrid did by signing way too many superstars... they added ballack and shevchenko this summer in addition to their already star studded cast. oh and i think they got the younger kalou too if im not mistaken. im curious if theyll run 1 striker up top or 2 now that theyve got sheva. HOPEFULLY they have ego and chemistry problems
Old 07-15-2006, 01:28 AM
I

So since Juventus was relegated, and they deducted 44 points from AC Milan's point total last year, does that mean that Inter officially won the scudetto and AC won't be in the champion's league this year?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:53 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BstonBruin
WOW its gonna take Juve a while to get back up to Serie A, its obviously not going to be the same team. Many of the stars will leave.

Report: Cannavaro to join Real Madrid

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Italy's World Cup winning captain and Juventus defender Fabio Cannavaro has decided to sign for Real Madrid next season, a Spanish newspaper reported on Sunday.

Cannavaro called former Juventus and current Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello and told him that he will play for the Spanish powerhouse, the sports daily AS reported.

The 32-year-old defender, widely considered one of the top players at the World Cup in Germany, has also been targeted by Chelsea and Italian powerhouse AC Milan, according to media reports.

After the reported call, Capello contacted Real chairman Ramon Calderon to confirm that Cannavaro will be in the Santiago Bernabeu next season, AS said without naming a source.

Madrid's sports director Peja Mijatovic said earlier this week that the club was close to signing Cannavaro.
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/...hubname=soccer
Old 07-17-2006, 01:07 PM
I

Also,

Buffon close to signing with Arsenal.

Hamburg interested in Kluivert.

Arenas gone, Klinsmann might replace him.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Go B's Go

Also,

Buffon close to signing with Arsenal.

Hamburg interested in Kluivert.

Arenas gone, Klinsmann might replace him.
I've read that Wenger doesnt want anybody from Turin...besides they already have one of the top five goalies in the world in Lehman, no need to have two.

Klinsmann signing to manage the US team would definitely be the US soccer federations greatest move in terms of player management.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:19 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

So since Juventus was relegated, and they deducted 44 points from AC Milan's point total last year, does that mean that Inter officially won the scudetto and AC won't be in the champion's league this year?
Inter should receive the scudetto, they've been cheated. However, the courts have not reassigned the championship to anybody, yet. I believe that Inter will make an official appeal to the courts for the scudetto.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:31 PM
goldeneye style

yea i believe the scudetto will be issued to inter... whether directly through the courts or through an inter appeal... i mean their winning it was a result of the match fixing etc anyways. just give it some time. i would be very surprised if ac were allowed to keep it.

and also, kluivert?! how old is that guy now, seems like hes been around forever haha maybe its just me. and then buffon to arsenal makes no sense to me... they have lehmann who at times is amazing and at times seems shaky... maybe they are thinking of trading him to bring in some defenders... would be a waste of money to have either buffon or lehmann on the bench. lastly, i saw today that lehmann has said he will stay on as #1 keeper under joachim loew for germany... lets see if that lasts through euro 2008 since loew has a 2 yr contract.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Rag & Bone

Ruud van Nistelrooy is supposed to sign with Real Madrid tomorrow...
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...374059&cc=5901
Old 07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I

Well thank god for Serie A that this rivalry will still be going on next year.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-l9Cf5Jh_Qw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-l9Cf5Jh_Qw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Go B's Go

^^that is an awesome video
Old 07-19-2006, 01:02 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

bwahahaha
Milan=
Old 07-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheThirdMan
Ruud van Nistelrooy is supposed to sign with Real Madrid tomorrow...
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...374059&cc=5901
Sucks to see him leave United. I'm going to miss the chants of RUUUUUUUD at Old trafford.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Go B's Go

Everybody wants to go to Spain
Old 07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
I

Cannavaro and Emerson signed 2 year deals with Real Madrid.

Buffon and Nedved agreed to stay at Juve along with Del Piero. Maybe they will be playing Serie A in 2008 afterall...

http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_230520.html
Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Del Piero is not a surprise as I think he wants to end his career there. I'm surprised about Nedved and Buffon though.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:48 AM
I

Zidane has been banned for three matches and Materazzi for two by Fifa.

Quick Reply: EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread