Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:00 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
france doesn't allow alochol and tobacco (i believe) company logos to be on shirts.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:23 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,065 Likes on 765 Posts
Fears over Azzurri defender Marco Materazzi are growing with reports that he may be sidelined until the New Year.

Materazzi was stretchered off in Wednesday night’s friendly against Hungary after an opposition player fell on top of him.

The severity of the injury didn’t become clear until the 34-year-old lost consciousness and began vomitting on the sidelines.

The main problem is a ruptured vein in his thigh muscle which has occurred as a result of internal bleeding following a serious trauma.

“It’s tough to give a good diagnosis at this stage, but we hope to get him back before 2008,” Azzurri doctor Andrea Ferretti revealed. “Maybe his return will be a Christmas present.”

Materazzi’s injury is yet another headache for troubled Italy boss Roberto Donadoni who saw his side mauled 3-1 in Budapest.
This sux!!! And the Serie A season starts this Saturday.

Otherwise, very excited that the season is starting and it will be on Fox this year.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by F-C
This sux!!! And the Serie A season starts this Saturday.

Otherwise, very excited that the season is starting and it will be on Fox this year.
eh you but you have chivu now. more than a worthy replacement.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:15 AM
goldeneye style

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nani's first reg season goal for United = a screamer, and badass gymnastic goal celebration afterwards. might have knicked tevez but still, great strike regardless

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jpHgayaZ7y4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jpHgayaZ7y4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 AM
Go B's Go

^^ I just saw that on tv...quite the goal. Finally man u have managed to win one
Old 09-07-2007, 06:13 PM
chips and smokes, lets go

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Big day ahead for Euro 08 qualifications. Notable matches include Italy vs France, England vs Israel, and Ukraine vs Georgia (for me). All eyes seem to be on the England match with Rooney, Beckham, Lapmard, Crouch and Bridge all sitting out.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:04 AM
Go B's Go

^^ I figured Owen was going to play a big role in their win (3-0). I'm sure McLaren is extremely happy to have him now since Crouch (suspended) and Rooney (injured) out. Looks like Heskey and Owen are quite the pair up front.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM

as for england v. israel, here are my thoughts:

1. this is what happens when you form a lineup with complementing players, and you're not trying to fit a square into a round hole.

although, i think hargreaves is still the better option as the holding midfielder, barry did a great job.

and though gerrard really didn't do much, you can just see how effective he can be when he knows his role and isn't limited by his defensive responsibilities.

2. i am probably the only person that actually likes emile heskey.

he's not a proficient goal scorer, and he's not world-class by any means.

but the guy is a beast. he offers something something that none of the other england forwards do. he's a natural target man and has brute strength and size.

crouch has an impressive scoring record for england, but he's really not a target man. he's actually better with the ball on his feet.

and heskey does link up well with owen and is unselfish enough to hold the ball for the rest of england's attackers.

but heskey is one of the most frustrating players because with his strength and speed, you just wish he could score more.

3. i think england should keep the same team for russia.

but i was thinking...i DOUBT heskey will stay as a starting forward. even if owen keeps scoring and especially when rooney comes back.

but a lineup like this would be interesting:

-----------------robinson-----------------

richards--ferdinand---terry----a.cole

-----------------hargreaves--------------

--gerrard----------------------j.cole-----

----------------rooney-------------------

-----------owen---------heskey---------

this leaves the defensive duties to hargreaves. let gerrard, cole, and rooney attack.

as much as i like gary neville, his time is over for england with the way richards is playing and improving. gary's still a better crosser and arguably a better defender. but he's injury prone and is not a long-term option.

and with the way richards and a.cole will romp down the sidelines, having hargreaves to protect terry and ferdinand wouldn't expose the defense as much.

just a thought.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:20 PM

agh too late to edit.

also, since owen and rooney are like 5'8" and heskey isn't really even a goal threat, there's really no need to play a 4-4-2 with beckham and his crossing.

as much as i admire beckham and would like to see him get his 100 caps, i think england and mcclaren just really need to move on. it's convenient that he's out injured now.

but it's a double edged sword with beckham.

he makes the team worse, in my opinion. he slows them down and prevents the other midfielders from really influencing games. while i appreciate his workrate and constant action all over the field, he has no business taking the ball from the feet of his cb's and lofting balls from the center.

at the same time, he does give england some of their best chances at winning. problem is that they're 50% of the time from set pieces. and as great as he is at fk's, he's really fallen off from direct fk's. his scoring record from fk's isn't really that impressive anymore.

and as much as he refuses to admit, the traveling back and forth from LA to europe is going to affect him.

but this is no knock on him because i still think he can play at a high level on the international stage. it's just i don't think he's the best fit for this team anymore. especially if youngsters like swp, david bentley, and aaron lennon continue to improve.

if he gets called up again and makes the euro2008 squad, then more power to him. but if he doesn't, i really don't think england will suffer that much.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:42 PM

guess who comes through to salvage a draw for chelsea. mourinho can suck my dick!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:50 PM

i do hope shevchenko does well this season. (but not enough for chelsea to win the title. )

the man is without a doubt, one of the greatest players in the world today. one bad season in a new country, new team, new manager, rotation system, unfair pressure/criticism from manager, injuries, and he's written off.

was he a bust last season? yes. but personally, i wouldn't say that he's fallen off and is, as the british would say, shite. he's still one of the top 10 strikers in my book.

people conveniently are blind to notice that shevchenko did a lot of the dirty work for drogba last season. i've never seen sheva work so hard to get balls in the midfield. he freed up a lot of space for drogba.

but this season will still be a challenge for him. when drogba's healthy, he'll be squeezed out of the starting xi as mourinho 1) looks to want to revert back to the 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation that was so successful and 2) clearly doesn't favor shevchenko.

but he'll get his chances in january and february when drogba has the african nations cup.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:53 PM

agreed. i've just had enough of mourinho already.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:09 PM

there's no doubt that mourinho is a great coach and tactician.

he's arrogant and cocky, but at least he's been able to back it up with trophies. granted, chelsea have been helped with roman's money. but that doesn't guarantee trophies and titles - see real madrid. (and for the record, i don't think barcelona will win this year because of all their stars and egoes).

i can handle mourinho's arrogance because 1) i think he does this intentionally to take pressure off the players and 2) like i said, he's brought the goods. he is a winner.

but mourinho does go overboard at times with his whining. and i don't agree with how he criticizes his players to the media. i remember him calling carvalho a stupid boy. he's done the same with joe cole and has made countless subliminal criticism at sheva.

obviously the friction between mourinho and roman is real and perhaps bigger than what it's made out to be.

with that said, almost every club and national team would want to have mourinho managing their side. and that is a mark of a great coach.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 PM
101 years of heartache...

Up the Arsenal tomorrow!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:56 PM

good luck. sevilla is going to be tough.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Go B's Go

Just got up at 6 30 am aest to watch Real play Werder Bremen...pretty good match could have easily been 4-1 in favor or Real. They are showing the Arsenal - Sevilla match tomorrow at 6 45 am, so I'll have to get up for that one...should be good.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 PM
goldeneye style

(fuck) up the arsenal tomorrow.

haha only kidding.... or not. cant wait for tomorrow!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes, he did that

Man, Liverpool got off easy against FC Porto. They were totally outclassed and outplayed by Porto (24 fouls committed by Liverpool).

Thank the checkbook for bringing in Kuyt to save us, but what was more baffling was the play by Gerrard, Mascherano and Carragher. They gave up the ball too easily and didn't push it forward quick enough to beat defenders.

At least we get the away goal advantage; on a side note, is it me or is Mourinho slowly turning into Sir Alex Ferguson, not in the winning sense, but in the whining sense?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lister00169
Man, Liverpool got off easy against FC Porto. They were totally outclassed and outplayed by Porto (24 fouls committed by Liverpool).

Thank the checkbook for bringing in Kuyt to save us, but what was more baffling was the play by Gerrard, Mascherano and Carragher. They gave up the ball too easily and didn't push it forward quick enough to beat defenders.

At least we get the away goal advantage; on a side note, is it me or is Mourinho slowly turning into Sir Alex Ferguson, not in the winning sense, but in the whining sense?
the away goal advantage doesn't apply in the group states. or does it? i thought the tie breaker was goal differential.

and i didn't see this match. but i read quaresma was running circles around liverpool.

and one intriguing matchup was gerrard vs. lucho gonzalez, who's basically argentina's version of gerrard.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Yes, he did that

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
the away goal advantage doesn't apply in the group states. or does it? i thought the tie breaker was goal differential.

and i didn't see this match. but i read quaresma was running circles around liverpool.

and one intriguing matchup was gerrard vs. lucho gonzalez, who's basically argentina's version of gerrard.
Yeah, and Gerrard was schooled, though how much of that was due to him easing off of his foot?

As for the GD, you are correct in that it helps in tie breaks, which this group may come down to. I think every game is a knock out game
Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Go B's Go

Glad to see FCB get off to a good start in the tournament...didn't see the game (showed 4:30 am) saw the highlights, once this team starts clicking it'll be quite hard to stop.

Just watched Arsenal v. Sevilla..really thought Sevilla would put up a better effort. Love the midfield of Rosicky, Fabregas, Persie and Hleb
Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 PM

arsenal's really impressing me.

the henry departure may actually turn out to be a spark of genius. the players look fluid and aren't intimadated by henry's presence and demands.

rosicky, fabregas, van persie, and hleb are great. but gilberto is underrated.

anyways....

mourinho is out at chelsea.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Go B's Go

anyways....

I guess it wasn't a shock. Him and Abramovich didn't get along. Only 25 thousand at Stamford Bridge for the Champions league opener...thats a bit of a disappointment
Old 09-19-2007, 11:41 PM

it's not a shocker at all.

i just didn't think it was going to happen this soon.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:47 AM

Just got back from some seriously intense studying at the library. I missed the game due to class, but my word, this team is impressing me.

I am a pessimist and believed a 5th place result was in the cards. 1st so far in an early season, 3-0 against a very good Sevilla side.

The "Young Guns" are FINALLY where they should be!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM

anyways....

good riddance
Old 09-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Yes, he did that

it's not a shocker at all.

i just didn't think it was going to happen this soon.
Yeah, Abra. and his egos would never work out in the long run. Abra. is very much a "What have you done for me lately" kind of guy.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lister00169
Yeah, Abra. and his egos would never work out in the long run. Abra. is very much a "What have you done for me lately" kind of guy.
and the thing is that roman didn't even get into soccer until he saw the real madrid vs. man united match in '03.

i always figured roman was the one that brought in shevchenko. as for ballack, who i still rate higher than lampard, i dunno if roman or mourinho wanted him.

regardless, this is unfortunate, not for just chelsea, but the whole premier league. mourinho, despite his whining and being a sore loser, he's a winner and brought a lot of charisma and character to the league.

from reading a lot of the news articles, it seems he's really formed a bond with his players, and his players love him. i read that drogba burst into tears while saying goodbye.

anyhow, good luck to chelsea and mourinho.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:49 PM
goldeneye style

jose mourinhoooooo are you listenin? you better keeeeeep our troph.....

nevermind.

honestly, i am going to miss his antics, i think they were annoying at times, but now that he's gone, i can't say "wtf" after every one one of his interviews.

and i think i mentioned it earlier in this thread, or maybe that was another forum, but i seriously think arsenal is benefiting from losing henry just like utd benefited from losing v. nistelrooy. all the young talent on both teams love to run at players and free flow attack. henry and nistelrooy are target players that have to be played through in order to use their talents. everyone thought united were gonna suck after losing him, and everyone thought arsenal were gonna suck after losing henry. i think they both benefit greatly from free flowing attack with young players.

season is turning out good so far, very competitive and i think we'll see a slightly more leveled playing field, ie: liverpool, arsenal, utd, chelsea, everton, possibly blackburn all challenging for the top 3 spots in a tough battle with each other. I think there will be less point gaps between teams this year too.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/7009980.stm

"arsenal freed up by henry exit"

this is what i was talking about. the players aren't intimidated by henry's presence anymore. i dunno how many times i've seen henry yell or look frustrated for not getting a pass in the box. anyone remember arsenal vs. man united about 3 years ago when henry did the karate chop because lauren shot instead of passing?

adebayor, last season, looked MUCH better when henry was out injured, and fabregas already has 6 goals this season. he's actually shooting from distance now. before, he always tried to play in the final pass.

and on another note, i was a little giddy during the arsenal vs. derby match because benny feilhaber was matched with fabregas. now, i am NOT comparing the two players as fabregas is light years ahead of feilhaber. and cesc is younger too. but i am still hoping that feilhaber can become a fabregas-type midfielder for the USMNT.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:52 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7009848.stm

Turned on Sky Sports News to see this! "Oh to be a Gooner!" The kids (most of which are my age amazingly) are playing incredibly. Arsenal's B-team whooped 5-0 on Derby. I have seen a lot more "Fly Emirates" around campus lately. I predicted 3 years ago that the "Young Guns" would bloom in 4-5 years. They are starting to bloom. Next year should show us exactly HOW good they truely are. I feel they will finish well this year, but I do not expect a League quite yet.

I've waited quite some time for these results to finally show from Arsene's work.

"I'm not scared to spend big money. If there is a player that I feel we need then of course I will buy him. At Arsenal we make the superstars." -Arsene Wenger, Masters in Economics, University of Strasbourg.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 PM

well, it was derby...
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 PM

well, it was derby...
Pos. Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Arsenal 6 5 1 0 15 4 11 16
2 Man Utd 7 4 2 1 6 2 4 14
3 Man City 7 4 1 2 8 5 3 13
4 Liverpool 6 3 3 0 11 2 9 12
...etc
Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 PM

Messi is on fire!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by herbalist
Messi is on fire!
Yeah he had a pretty good game today...seems like he very rarely makes the wrong decision. Henry didn't play very well...maybe he has a tough time with 3 up front, they played with two up front when he scored the 3. I have to give some credit to Stuttgart, they played a good game and could have easily scored 2 or 3 goals
Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by herbalist
Messi is on fire!
7 goals in 7 games now, is it?

he is indeed the messi(ah).

on a serious note, the guy is just fun to watch.

henry really hasn't settled in yet. he's starting to play well and link up with his teammates. but a lot of his good play lately have been without ronaldinho and eto'o on the field. honestly, i don't see how henry, r10, messi, and eto'o are all gonna co-exist. plus giovani, deco, toure, xavi, iniesta...

this team is stacked.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:18 PM

4 superstar forwards: Messi, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, and Henry.

I think Eto'o will be gone come summer to make room for the other 3. But who am I to say what goes on there?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
4 superstar forwards: Messi, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, and Henry.

I think Eto'o will be gone come summer to make room for the other 3. But who am I to say what goes on there?
well luckily, r10 and messi aren't out and out strikers.

the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 that barca played the past few seasons was gold with r10 and messi on the wings cutting in.

problem is that now, what do you do with henry when all 4 are healthy? at arsenal, he made a cutting in from the left. but so had ronaldinho.

but who knows who'll stay and leave. however, it's becoming clearer that before you know it, this will be messi's, not ronalindho's, team. the thought of barca wanting to sell r10 is more believable now.

and remember, they have giovani, who's even younger than messi. i wished giovani would have played for the brazilian team because he's gonna be scary for mexico.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Yes, he did that

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!

Liverpool got bullied all over the field. I really hope we get things together.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:32 PM

anyone see celtic vs ac milan? i don't really know what to say about dida's reaction to the fan on the pitch.

Quick Reply: EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread