Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

College Football: Penn State Scandal

Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Like I said before....tip of the iceberg....tip of the iceberg.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
You're confusing who saw what - JoePa didn't see anything first hand, the GA did. Who then told him about it the next day.
Doesn't matter if he saw it first hand or not...the point is that he knew.

When something this heavy is told to you, one does not just "report" it to the guy above you...and then do nothing more.

BraveDemon hit the nail on the head.

I can't imagine anyone doing only the bare minimum that Joe did and nothing more. That is beyond disturbing.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (11-10-2011)
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
This is FUBAR'd. My question is - What exactly happened when the guy who originally reported this to Paterno witnessed this?! Did he see it and just run away in horror to tell Paterno? He was there, watching a boy being molested in the shower, and didn't try to STOP it?!?
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,410 Likes on 3,022 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257
Now they are saying Sandusky pimped out kids to rich men.
I heard this, do you have any links?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
When something this heavy is told to you, one does not just "report" it to the guy above you...and then do nothing more.
Frankly, I think he was damned either way, either he went through the chain of command, and was damned for not doing enough, or he went over the chain of command and called law enforcement and then would have been the bad guy for disobeying the chain of command

I still think he should have called law enforcement, just saying...
Old 11-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts

BraveDemon hit the nail on the head.

I can't imagine anyone doing only the bare minimum that Joe did and nothing more. That is beyond disturbing.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
^ heard about that DA story on espn radio this morning. Creepy, but just a conspiracy theory at this point.

Also listened to alot of angry Penn State callers/emailers saying the firing of JoePa was uncalled for, and from what I gathered, what alot of people don't seem to realize is the gravity of the crime that JoePa allowed to be perpetrated.

I mean, if you saw a friend and co-worker sodomizing a child, would you just stop at telling your supervisors?

I wouldn't - I'd call the cops and try to restrain myself from beating the sick bastard.
This is what I thought when I saw all those Penn State students on the streets doing some stupid shits last night.

Are they dumb? I thought Penn State was known as a public ivy school. Seemed like some of these students don't know how to read and think normally.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblewar
I think all this should come back on Mcquery more than Paterno. Mcquery saw this happen, yet hes still employed. Bullshit.
Agreed. However, the shit hits the fan from the top down. Don't worry, something tells me it will trickle down to Mcquery soon enough...

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
This is FUBAR'd. My question is - What exactly happened when the guy who originally reported this to Paterno witnessed this?! Did he see it and just run away in horror to tell Paterno? He was there, watching a boy being molested in the shower, and didn't try to STOP it?!?
And this is why I think Mcquery is fvcked. After vomiting (or at least dry heaving), the next thing I would do is yell something like "what's going on over there"... something. Then, if it didn't stop and I wasn't puking all over myself at that point I'd certainly try to help the kid. It's not like he had some willing female cheerleader in the shower there, you're talking a 10 year old boy. There's no way I could see that, then just move on. Even if I was strong-armed by the institution to report it internally only and to let it go afterwards... at that moment, being there, seeing that myself, something would have been done.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

A source told ESPN's Joe Schad that Paterno recalls McQueary "vaguely" referencing "fondling" or "touching" or "horsing around" by Sandusky and a youth. But Paterno never had the understanding that McQueary had witnessed a "sodomy" or "rape."
Just for clarification.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Frankly, I think he was damned either way, either he went through the chain of command, and was damned for not doing enough, or he went over the chain of command and called law enforcement and then would have been the bad guy for disobeying the chain of command

How is anyone a bad guy for reporting alleged child rape?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Just for clarification.
...because one gets a pass for "fondling" and "touching" young boys.

That's nothing to be concerned about at all.
That kind of stuff should never be reported to authorities.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Then there's this..... oh the ironing: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_16...alled-touched/

Jerry Sandusky wrote a book called "Touched"

CBS - Years before Jerry Sandusky was indicted on charges of sexually abusing boys, the former Penn State football coach wrote a book about his life. Over a period of ten years, beginning in 1991, Sandusky worked with former equipment manager and Penn State journalism student Kip Richeal to record what Sandusky called a "unique" life. What they eventually produced, in 2000, was the book "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story."

In the introduction of the book, Richeal, who was born with hip dysplasia and is disabled, describes an "odd" question posed by Sandusky when they first met:

My first real contact with Jerry Sandusky came from a rather odd question he posed to me: "How much do you weigh, young man?" I was puzzled, because I knew he wasn't interested in me as a linebacker, but I told him I weighed about 95 pounds. "Get up on that scale," he ordered. I did and the locker room scale topped out at 96. "Not bad," Jerry said, trying to sound as mean as possible, "but you still have some work to do." Sensing my confusion, Jerry stared at me and continued. "We gotta get you up to 100 pounds before you're ready to fight me." Fight him? I barely knew him. "When you get to 100 pounds, it's gonna be you and me in the center of the locker room in a boxing match. Then I'll show you who the real boss is. It'll be you and me eyeball-to-belly button."

In an interview with Deadspin.com, Richeal explains that he had no cause for concern during their meeting.

"Now, you know, I'd be kind of uncomfortable," Richeal said. "But I had no reason to be then. It was just a running gag because I weighed under 100 pounds. He'd say, you know, 'We gotta put some meat on those bones.'"

"I want to believe it's not true," Richeal said of the allegations against his friend. "The person I knew, I never ever saw anything like that."

Sandusky dedicated "Touched" to "all the people who have touched my life." As for his own life, Sandusky started the second chapter of the book with this:

I had always professed that someday I would reap the benefits of maturity, but my lifestyle just wouldn't let me. There were so many things I had done in my life - so many of them crazy and outlandish. But I have always had fun, and one this is for certain: My time on this earth has always been unique. At the times when I found myself searching for maturity, I usually came up with insanity. That's the way it is in the life of Gerald Arthur Sandusky.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

...because one gets a pass for "fondling" and "touching" young boys.

That's nothing to be concerned about at all.
That kind of stuff should never be reported to authorities.
I see you selectively left out the 'horsing around' part.

Next time I get swatted on the ass with a towel I'm calling in the Guard.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
This is what I thought when I saw all those Penn State students on the streets doing some stupid shits last night.

Are they dumb? I thought Penn State was known as a public ivy school. Seemed like some of these students don't know how to read and think normally.
I wouldn't put too much of this on the students.

Sure we would like them to understand the gravity of this, but they clearly do not at this point.

It's pretty heavy, their "god" has just been taken down, the entire institution that they thought was infallible has been shown to be just the opposite.

A bit hard to grasp for some of them...over time they will see and understand how sick and twisted this whole thing really is.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I see you selectively left out the 'horsing around' part.

Next time I get swatted on the ass with a towel I'm calling in the Guard.
I'm sure that's how it was explained to old Joe.

If that's what Joe really thought, he would have came out and said that, but nope....he said in hindsight he wished he had done more....because he knew.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

10 years old boy

JERRY SANFUCKSKY

Shower

"fondling" or "touching" or "horsing around"

What more do you need?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I drive a Subata.

Sure we would like them to understand the gravity of this, but they clearly do not at this point.

It's pretty heavy, their "god" has just been taken down, the entire institution that they thought was infallible has been shown to be just the opposite.

A bit hard to grasp for some of them...over time they will see and understand how sick and twisted this whole thing really is.
True. You are right.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

10 years old boy

JERRY SANFUCKSKY

Shower

"fondling" or "touching" or "horsing around"

What more do you need?
You're looking at this with benefit of additional information. I'm trying to look at it as it was presented before all of the other allegations came out.

Look at what junior posted. It's not as if what he was doing was public knowledge.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I drive a Subata.

If Joe really understood it as just something like "horsing around", why would he even report it to his "superior" anyway?

He knew.
The following users liked this post:
Doom878 (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I drive a Subata.

I want to make my point clear again too. Joe Pa had been fired and accused more than the other obvious enablers first because he is Joe Pa. I'm not accusing him only. It's just how people react. All the others who are related on this case will be properly charged. No doubt.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned

I wash my hands of it. People will think what they want to.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I don't understand how people can stand up for people like this.

It's like the same people who couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that their priest molested and raped little boys.

Sure you love the Church, but you have to separate that from the evil sick people that raped the kids.

Same for Penn State....sure you love the school, but you cannot stand up for child rapists and those who protected them.
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People supporting Joe are supporting his legacy. To not support the man they have supported for so long is confusing to them. It does not compute. If this were a 10-year coach of the Colorado Buffaloes, most of the people supporting him now would be glad he was fired. But since he's THEIR legendary coach, they are confused and support him. Once the denial wears off, one day they will come to realize (if they ever think about it objectively) that this was the right thing.

As a Penn State alum, I will always have a tremendous amount of respect for Paterno and all he's done for others, but I do believe this was the right decision by the board to terminate Joe. As an institution and business above everything else, they simply cannot show the public that PSU athletics are more important than the numerous lives which have been damaged in light of this case. Letting Joe finish out the season would send the wrong message and further damage the University's reputation.

I was shocked, saddened and angry last night, but the more I've thought about it, the more I realize the correct course of action was taken.
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I heard this, do you have any links?
http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sa...rk-madden.html
Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts

I don't think they realize the damage that was done by these guys.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:16 PM
registered pw

My wife feels the same along with many other alum that we know. He dissapointed many people.

[QUOTE=jas5lf;13355595As a Penn State alum, I will always have a tremendous amount of respect for Paterno and all he's done for others, but I do believe this was the right decision by the board to terminate Joe. As an institution and business above everything else, they simply cannot show the public that PSU athletics are more important than the numerous lives which have been damaged in light of this case. Letting Joe finish out the season would send the wrong message and further damage the University's reputation.

I was shocked, saddened and angry last night, but the more I've thought about it, the more I realize the correct course of action was taken.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 PM
registered pw

Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I think it's been confirmed that McQueary will coach on Saturday. WTF?!?!?!?
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
You're looking at this with benefit of additional information. I'm trying to look at it as it was presented before all of the other allegations came out.

Look at what junior posted. It's not as if what he was doing was public knowledge.
Did you forget that this wasn't the first allegation (2002)? That there had been an investigation in 1998 followed by Sandusky's "sudden" retirement in 1999 at the age of 55? Smoke----->Fire
Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

In response to McQueary will coach on Saturday

^^ Yea that's disturbing to say the least.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ttribe
Did you forget that this wasn't the first allegation (2002)? That there had been an investigation in 1998 followed by Sandusky's "sudden" retirement in 1999 at the age of 55? Smoke----->Fire
I'm not willing to fill in unknowns with what I think may or may not have happened, and that's the last I'll say.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
I'm not willing to fill in unknowns with what I think may or may not have happened, and that's the last I'll say.
Wait...there's nothing to fill in here.

Was there a 1998 investigation? Yes/No

Did Paterno know about the 1998 investigation? Yes/No

Did Paterno know that the the only reaction the school had to the 2002 incident was to "ban" Sandusky from bringing little boys on campus? Yes/No
Old 11-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts

In 2002, IMHO, Joe Pa held more weight in the "chain of command" than his direct superior, the DA. I can't think of one instance where people will look down on you for doing whatever it takes within reason to stop child sodomy. Who do you have to impress more, your three supervisors or the entire nation? The public will define your character, not your boss.

If I were fired for breaking a chain of command to stop an act like this, I would go to bed with my head held high. F- whoever fired me. Just sayin'.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by oo7spy
If I were fired for breaking a chain of command to stop an act like this, I would go to bed with my head held high. F- whoever fired me. Just sayin'.
I completely agree, just playing devil's advocate
Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by doom878
i think it's been confirmed that mcqueary will coach on saturday. Wtf?!?!?!?
wtf
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

After the news spread, Madden later explained via Twitter why he went public with the rumors.

"I normally abhor giving RUMORS credence," Madden wrote. "But whole Sandusky scandal started out as a RUMOR. It gets deeper and more disgusting all the time. One of state's top columnists investigating. That adds credence. I am NOT rumor's original source. [Why does] Sandusky deserve benefit of doubt?"

Madden also spoke more definitively on Dennis and Callahan to the cover-up efforts at the school and beyond that he expects will be made public soon.

"The other thing I think that may eventually become uncovered, and I talked about this in my original article back in April, is that I think they'll find out that Jerry Sandusky was told that he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up," Madden said. "If you look at the timeline, that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

"My opinion is when Sandusky quit, everybody knew -- not just at Penn State," Madden added. "I think it was a very poorly kept secret about college football in general, and that is why he never coached in college football again and retired at the relatively young age of 55. [That's] young for a coach, certainly."
http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sa...rk-madden.html
Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

No Presidential Medal of Freedom for Joe

U.S. Senators Bob Casey (D-Pa.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) announced today that they are rescinding their support for the nomination of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno for the Presidential Medal of Freedom. They issued the following statement:

“In light of the recent events in State College, we are rescinding our support for the nomination of Joe Paterno for the Presidential Medal of Freedom. We hope the proper authorities will move forward with their investigation without delay. Penn State is an important institution in our commonwealth. We should turn our attention to the victims of these atrocious crimes and ensure they get the help they need. Our hearts and prayers go out to them and their families.”

http://www.whptv.com/content/Sandusk...qRo5VD9iA.cspx
Old 11-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Last two posts...

Originally Posted by Doom878
I think it's been confirmed that McQueary will coach on Saturday. WTF?!?!?!?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Christ... I'm seriously hoping that the "pimping of boys" is just a rumor...
Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I won't be shocked if we find out down the road as the investigation goes further that Joe perjured himself in his grand jury testimony.

I think they all knew a lot, and they all covered it up.

Quick Reply: College Football: Penn State Scandal