Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Boxing: News and Discussion Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
"The thing is this, I'm gonna do the talking kuz you do too much talking. The thing is this..."
"alright jim"
"no no no, let me do the talking"
"jim"
"ok then"

Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Another boxing clinic by Mayweather. He gives Pac a boxing lesson if the two ever fight. Defense is why Mayweather is so good and like in other sports it's often underrated.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
It wasn't worth watching this fight or any Mayweather fight...its not even a fight, he runs too much...more like a marathon.

And I don't think a Pacquiao vs Floyd fight will ever happen. 1st, Floyd refuses to deal with Top Rank Promotions due to his history with Bob arum in the pass. 2nd Both fighters want a 50-50 split of the purse...3rd Floyd NEVER fights a HIGH RISK fight.....hence, why do you think he took the Marquez fight as a come back? Why not Cotto? Mosley? Margarito? Paul Williams? Someone from the welterweight division....
Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by coykiam
It wasn't worth watching this fight or any Mayweather fight...its not even a fight, he runs too much...more like a marathon.

And I don't think a Pacquiao vs Floyd fight will ever happen. 1st, Floyd refuses to deal with Top Rank Promotions due to his history with Bob arum in the pass. 2nd Both fighters want a 50-50 split of the purse...3rd Floyd NEVER fights a HIGH RISK fight.....hence, why do you think he took the Marquez fight as a come back? Why not Cotto? Mosley? Margarito? Paul Williams? Someone from the welterweight division....
What you fail to realize is that what Floyd is doing isn't running he's boxing, this is the sweet science the art of hitting and not getting hit and right now Floyd is the best at it. Floyd is a defensive counter-puncher who looks to make you miss and make you pay then outpoint you to a UD win. His style is extremely hard to beat and match up with and he's a nightmare for anyone in boxing 154 and down. You're talking about a defensive genius who has only lost a handful of rounds in his career a guy who has never been knocked down nor even really hurt in the ring. It's very hard to even land clean shot on him. The novice boxing fan can't really appreciate his style but astute boxing fans like myself can appreciate his style and genius and know how great he is. To me it's beautiful to watch a master like Floyd operate in the ring his skills are sublime.

A fight with Pac may not happen you're right but it will because Team Pac and Arum won't admit that Floyd is the bigger draw and deserves the bigger share of the purse. The numbers don't lie and against common opponents in Oscar, Hatton and Marquez, Floyd did better PPV numbers than Pac did.

You say Floyd doesn't take risk but this is a guy who started at 130 and has fought as high as 154. For his comeback fight after a 2 year layoff he comes back against the #2 P4P fighter in the sport when he could have fought a nobody. You must also remember that this was his first fight back he will fight Molsey, Cotto or Pac give it time these fight will get made. You also fail to mention that Mosley turned down Floyd on HBO saying he wanted to get his tooth fixed and go on vacation with his family this was back in 2006. Funny now all of a sudden Mosley is recently divorced and coming to the end of his career he wants now to fight Floyd. He realizes like others do that Floyd is the biggest draw in boxing and offers a big payday fight and is looking to cash out.

Last edited by Black CL-S 4-Life; 09-30-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 PM
seizure force field!

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
You say Floyd doesn't take risk but this is a guy who started at 130 and has fought as high as 154. For his comeback fight after a 2 year layoff he comes back against the #2 P4P fighter in the sport when he could have fought a nobody.
He came back and had the #2 P4P fighter move up in weight, yet he was still unable to make weight If he was such a risk taker, why didn't he fight Marquez as a Lightweight or at least a Junior Welterweight?

It goes without saying that Mayweather will not move down in weight to fight Pacquiao.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
He came back and had the #2 P4P fighter move up in weight, yet he was still unable to make weight If he was such a risk taker, why didn't he fight Marquez as a Lightweight or at least a Junior Welterweight?

It goes without saying that Mayweather will not move down in weight to fight Pacquiao.
And why should he? He's the bigger draw and like you said he can't make the weight. Not to mention Pac fought Oscar who is bigger than Floyd at 147. If he fought Oscar there why not Floyd? The truth is Team Pac knows Floyd is a stylistic nightmare for Pac and they will do their best to duck him and dismiss him as a threat.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And why should he? He's the bigger draw and like you said he can't make the weight. Not to mention Pac fought Oscar who is bigger than Floyd at 147. If he fought Oscar there why not Floyd? The truth is Team Pac knows Floyd is a stylistic nightmare for Pac and they will do their best to duck him and dismiss him as a threat.
bingo. pac would get creamed.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 PM
seizure force field!

Who cares who the bigger draw is? Did you seriously just compare Pacquiao to De La Hoya (in his last years)?

So, what if Team Pac doesn't duck and asks to fight @ Junior Welterweight?

I want to see a fight where Mayweather doesn't have a huuuuuge advantage.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Who cares who the bigger draw is? Did you seriously just compare Pacquiao to De La Hoya (in his last years)?

Where are these so called huge advantage fights that you're talking about? Did he have the advantage when he fought Oscar at 154 on Oscar's terms for his first and only fight at a weight he had no business at? I can tell you just started watching boxing and just started following Floyd when he got to 147 pound division. Floyd started at 130 and that's where he really made his greatness at. Every other weight he has moved up to is just gravy to a HOF and ATG career.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Who cares who the bigger draw is? The promoters and managers do. The bigger draw gets to dictate the terms and get the bigger share of the purse a 60/40 split or a 70/30 split. How do you think Oscar made more money than his opponent every time out? Because he was the biggest draw in boxing and could demand it. That's how the sport works.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:49 PM
seizure force field!

Where are these so called huge advantage fights that you're talking about? Did he have the advantage when he fought Oscar at 154 on Oscar's terms for his first and only fight at a weight he had no business at? I can tell you just started watching boxing and just started following Floyd when he got to 147 pound division. Floyd started at 130 and that's where he really made his greatness at. Every other weight he has moved up to is just gravy to a HOF and ATG career.
Oscar had no business fighting Floyd, same with Manny... It was purely for the money and only stupid "boxing fans" would pay to watch that side show. You clearly don't know my boxing history so don't call me out on the absence of knowledge either

Who cares who the bigger draw is? The promoters and managers do. The bigger draw gets to dictate the terms and get the bigger share of the purse a 60/40 split or a 70/30 split. How do you think Oscar made more money than his opponent every time out? Because he was the biggest draw in boxing and could demand it. That's how the sport works.
If he made his greatness at 130, why not close his career closer at 130 instead of having others move out of their weight class? Would you want to be known as a boxer who defeated your opponents outside their comfort zone? I'd be looking to fight others under their weight terms to improve my credibility as the "#1 P4P fighter"

I will eat my words and give it up to Floyd if he defeats Manny at Light Welterweight, I just don't want to hear Manny blame his loss on his weight during the post-fight interviews. If Floyd is a HOF-bound champ, I'm sure it's not too much to ask.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just for the record, before the PAC vs ODLH fight...everyone thought it was a circus because Oscar was too big and Manny moving up in weight skipping Junior Welterweight. After that he shocked the world by disposing Ricky Hatton quickly...I thought it would be in the later rounds, not 2 rounds.

Mayweather is a good boxer, and that's it...not a fighter. I hate him for the fact that he has a big ego flaunting it around and attitude just like he's bragging Dad....where was he when Hatton was lying on the canvas? He just took off....

You say that Mayweather is the bigger draw but if you ask me I think Manny has a slighter edge on this. Its the way they both fight...runner vs attacker. People came to watch a boxing match...not a hit-and-run match. Just look at history...Barrera vs Morales I, that fight catapulted them to popularity because of how they fought. Jermaine Taylor vs Kelly Pavlik I ; Ali vs Frazier ; De La Hoya vs Quartey ; De La hoya vs Trinidad...etc.

Now let wait and see how the Manny Pacquiao vs Miguel Cotto will do on PPV sales against Mayweather vs Marquez fight to see who's the bigger draw, since most boxing analyst are comparing these 2 huge fights.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Just for the record, before the PAC vs ODLH fight...everyone thought it was a circus because Oscar was too big and Manny moving up in weight skipping Junior Welterweight. After that he shocked the world by disposing Ricky Hatton quickly...I thought it would be in the later rounds, not 2 rounds.

Mayweather is a good boxer, and that's it...not a fighter. I hate him for the fact that he has a big ego flaunting it around and attitude just like he's bragging Dad....where was he when Hatton was lying on the canvas? He just took off....

You say that Mayweather is the bigger draw but if you ask me I think Manny has a slighter edge on this. Its the way they both fight...runner vs attacker. People came to watch a boxing match...not a hit-and-run match. Just look at history...Barrera vs Morales I, that fight catapulted them to popularity because of how they fought. Jermaine Taylor vs Kelly Pavlik I ; Ali vs Frazier ; De La Hoya vs Quartey ; De La hoya vs Trinidad...etc.

Now let wait and see how the Manny Pacquiao vs Miguel Cotto will do on PPV sales against Mayweather vs Marquez fight to see who's the bigger draw, since most boxing analyst are comparing these 2 huge fights.
If Pac-Cotto does better numbers it means nothing especially since Floyd-Oscar, Floyd-Hatton and Floyd-Marquez did better numbers than Pac against the same opponents. If Floyd fought Cotto he would do better numbers than Pac-Cotto and his history against common opponent proves it.

I won't even fully address your comments about Floyd being a runner because they're ignorant and unfounded. A runner doesn't get a 40-0 record with 25 KOs, wins 5 titles in 5 different weight classes and linear in 3.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Hold the onions

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Boxing: Discussion Thread

Pacquiao won

"I didn't know from where the punches were coming," Cotto said. "Manny Pacquiao is one of the best boxers I ever fought."

haters eat a D

Last edited by bud760; 11-15-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:31 AM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pacquiao makes history with Cotto TKO.... The first fighter to win titles in 7-weight divisions!!!

"Cotto was taking quite a bit of punches," Bayless said. "Because of the amount of punishment he was taking we looked closely with the ring doctor about the eighth round and talked about how much longer he could go. He was hitting Pacquiao with good jabs but it wasn't doing much. The guy was relentless."

Last edited by TSXmeister; 11-15-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
Boxing is still around? Heh.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Pacquiao is a fucking machine! He's always entertaining to watch too, Floyd could take some notes on that..
Old 11-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Mayweather is just a waste of everyone else's time and money....he shouldn't even get a cent from Pacquiao or anyone else!

And yes it was an absolutely entertaining fight with Manny Pacquiao...Hats off to Cotto, I think they should've stopped it earlier maybe around 9th or 10th. His lips and eyes got worst...even worst than the Margacheato fight.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
hats off to Cotto. He sacrificed his face for his pride, but at least he was humble in defeat.

Pac Man is the man.....7 titles in 7 weight classes is historic and amazing.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah Cotto is tough! He's also a stand up guy - classy defeat.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:39 AM

At least cotto didnt quit like de la hoya but cotto did take a worse beating than him.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,140 Likes on 4,807 Posts
Mayweather is just a waste of everyone else's time and money....he shouldn't even get a cent from Pacquiao or anyone else!
As much as I agree, I still want to see that fight.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts

Pacquiao vs Mayweather next year?!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Watched it last night on PPV at my friends house, was a good fight. I would love to see him knock Mayweather's out.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:25 PM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
Watched it last night on PPV at my friends house, was a good fight. I would love to see him knock Mayweather out.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
Watched it last night on PPV at my friends house, was a good fight. I would love to see him knock Mayweather's out.
So would everybody, but I'm skeptical. We all saw Mayweather render Marquez completely useless.. a fighter close to Manny in size and speed. It's also no secret that Manny had a lot of trouble with Marquez in the past...
Old 11-15-2009, 10:17 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Watched this at the bar

I was being spiteful going for Cotto since I had never heard of either of the guys and everyone else was going for Pacquiao.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 6MTUA5
Watched this at the bar

I was being spiteful going for Cotto since I had never heard of either of the guys and everyone else was going for Pacquiao.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
lol I put 'Mayweather's out'

I had some extra descriptive words in there which I decided to edit out. I am sure you guys can fill in the blanks.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 6MTUA5
Watched this at the bar

Originally Posted by civicdrivr

uummm....they both are all over the news, especially in the boxing world...and people go crazy about him in the Philippines. In addition, he is also on the cover of TIME Magazine - ASIA EDITION.....I just hope Manny won't get big headed like Floyd Gayweather...
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM

I don't think Manny is anywhere close to being full of himself.

Isn't he the honorary Vice President of the Phillipines too? I remember seeing something like that before he fought Hatton.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

he's not the Vice President of the Philippines. But he has plans to run for Congress next year...My guess is his next fight might be also his last fight.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Mayweather is prolly crapping his pants after watching the pounding Cotto took after the 5th round. Cotto's face looked like a bloody cather's mitt. Props for trying to continue the fight but he was pretty much running from Pacman's body shots from the 8th round on.

Pacman pound-for-pound best fighter in the word right now IMO. 7 titles in 7 different weight classes is astounding.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:28 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the Filipino nation here are strong supporters of Pacquiao. I swear thats the only thing they wanna talk about weeks before the fight and weeks after the fight. (in my best Filipino voice) Manong you de Pacquiao is de bes bighter ob all time.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
uummm....they both are all over the news, especially in the boxing world...and people go crazy about him in the Philippines. In addition, he is also on the cover of TIME Magazine - ASIA EDITION.....I just hope Manny won't get big headed like Floyd Gayweather...
I don't think too many people get Time Magazine - Asia in the States. I think we're slightly outside the standard delivery area.

I'm sure I would have heard of him even if I wasn't married to a Filipina, but I wouldn't hear near as much about him.

If it wasn't for him and Apple de Ap, most of the world wouldn't know about the Phillipines.

Last edited by moeronn; 11-16-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
^ What is this Phillipines?...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I ♡ PEK PEK

Originally Posted by moeronn
I don't think too many people get Time Magazine - Asia in the States. I think we're slightly outside the standard delivery area.

I'm sure I would have heard of him even if I wasn't married to a Filipina, but I wouldn't hear near as much about him.

If it wasn't for him and Apple de Ap, most of the world wouldn't know about the Phillipines.
The world knew about the Philippines before Pacquiao. Blame f'n Imelda Marcos.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 PM
seizure force field!

:ibtheFloydfangirls:
Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 PM
seizure force field!

I hope Manny woops Floyd's ass even with a 90/10 split to show him it's not all about the money and who's the bigger draw. More credit to him if he does it without making Floyd move down a weight class or two.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moeronn

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
^ What is this Phillipines?...

lol you guys crack me up.....

I would educate you but GOOGLE is there....and my brain is shutting down right now, had a long day at work.

Quick Reply: Boxing: News and Discussion Thread