Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Bowling: News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
Scratch means no handicap. There are scratch tournaments for the high average bowlers.

Also you may want to try a soft knee brace. It really helped me with my knee pain. http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/inde...ARTMENT_ID=295
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
ADVANCE.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see, so when you bowl scratch its just straight up! So who decides on who your apponent is going to be? Just whoever is in your league?

Hey I'm gonna look into that soft knee brace. Thanks!

PEACE!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
2008 Acura TL

Yea there are scratch singles leagues. you just play a different person every week headsup.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
is it just me or are the bowling game rates getting pretty expensive now-a-days
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Dang, had no idea there was a bowling thread! Been in youth leagues off and on since I was like, 8. I just sub for my dad's team now. Going in tonight in the first time in like a month!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Shoofin great story man! I love shit like that.

Originally Posted by badboy
is it just me or are the bowling game rates getting pretty expensive now-a-days
Depends where you go. Here in NC during the day it's $3.20 per person per game which isn't too bad. I've heard of places charging as much as $8 per game

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Dang, had no idea there was a bowling thread! Been in youth leagues off and on since I was like, 8. I just sub for my dad's team now. Going in tonight in the first time in like a month!
Nice man! Let us know how you do.

Tonight was the worst I have bowled all season. Let me remind everybody that I'm averaging 219 right now. I bowled a 568. Somehow my team still swept the other team but I did absolutely terrible
Old 01-13-2010, 03:47 PM
2008 Acura TL

204-222-205

Meh. If it wasn't for the 10-pin I'd be a pro. Avg up to 204. I made all my 10-pins last night and we started the 2nd half 11-0 (points) Of course it helps when we shoot 800s every game and one of the guys throws a 7.

I predict a perfect 33-0 for the first three weeks of this half.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Nice set man! You got your average overall for the set, so you can't complain!

I was 100% for the 10 pin last week, but missed 75% (3/4) out of my 7 pins
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Went bowling yesterday. I broke 120 LOL!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It was weird... there were hot women in every other lane!!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:34 PM

^

How often do you bowl? If not that often, 120 isn't bad whatsoever.

And the hot women come out to bowl usually on Friday and Saturday nights
Old 01-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry for not posting here much, it's been a bumpy last few weeks...

But last week I went into the game with a 168 average, bowled 167-184-167. We took 5 points. I think we're still in 3rd place in the standings.

Anywho, I played in my first tournament last week (www.LIGBTour.com) but got my ass handed to me. I'm used to a dry/light oil lane, the place I went to was Syosset Lanes on LI, which had a "Route 66" Pattern which spelled disaster for me. My ball is meant for the dry/light oil that i'm used to, and this pattern is very different than what I'm used to (32 feet heavy oil and buffed to 43 feet). I scored 141-125-153. I just couldn't hit the pocket consistently. It was a very hard shot for me. I finished 31 out of 66 in the Handicap division. My friend who I was with was 3 pins off of making the cut (615), so we both went home early. Anywho, I'm trying out another tournament tomorrow at a different place and different organization (List here http://www.bowling300.com/nabioflongisland/events.htm), I'm told the lane is very similar to the alley I bowl in, so I should do a heck of a lot better. We'll see how it goes!

Also, I decided to get another ball, just ordered it, and it should help me when the lanes are a bit more oily, as it's good for light/medium/heavy oil patterns. After a lot of research and to find something that would suit my style, I chose Storm's Thunder series, the HY-ROAD (14lbs):

Core:

Description:
While designing and testing the Hy-Road™ we kept in mind that we needed to maintain the superior on-lane performance that has come expected from the Thunder Line™ of bowling balls. Our desired outcome was to create a bowling ball that strategically placed itself in-between the T-Road Solid™ and T-Road Pearl™. What better way to do so than combine the two coverstocks, hence creating a hybrid coverstock. By utilizing the ever so powerful Inverted Fe² Technology for the weight block, we knew that we could create the mid-lane read needed to handle a medium-heavy lane condition. By encasing the weight block inside the R2S™ Hybrid coverstock, we found the perfect balance between its two predecessors. We found the Hybrid to be a great go-to ball once the T-Road Solid™ is too much. It gives you better mid-lane control than the Pearl. The reaction can be described as the ultimate benchmark reaction, mid-lane read with a predictable hook motion.
Specs:
Coverstock:R2S™ Hybrid
Weight Block:Inverted Fe² Technology
Factory Finish:1500-grit Polish
Ball Color:Black/Ultramarine Blue
Durometer:74-76 Rex D-scale
Flare Potential:5” - 6” (High)
Fragrance:Boysenberry

Let's hope that I get adjusted to it, and it helps my game!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
For you bowlers out there....

I really suck at it but maybe someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Seems almost all the balls I throw are left gutter. Every shot almost my balls go left. I tried different grips & positions & balls.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM

Shoofin, congrats on the new purchase! Like you, I've been struggling the last few weeks. My average has dropped to 215

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS

Seems almost all the balls I throw are left gutter. Every shot almost my balls go left. I tried different grips & positions & balls.
Sounds like the problem is your stance. Make sure when you start that your shoulders and parallel with your hip. If you are leaning one way or another, it's going to throw off your center of gravity since you will have to overcompensate for that. Also when you make your first step forward, push the ball away from your body and let it drop by itself, don't force it backwards or just let it drop straight down.

When you let go of the ball, make sure you are brining your arm straight back and straight out. If you bring the ball back at an angle, you will let go of it at an angle, therefore "tugging" the ball either left or right. Make sure that your shoulders are still parallel as well...if your body is leaning to the right, you will most likely end up throwing the ball to the the left. Also make sure that you follow through when you release the ball. If you just drop the ball, it's more likely for it to go where you don't want it to.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Shoofin
Hey guys,

Sorry for not posting here much, it's been a bumpy last few weeks...

But last week I went into the game with a 168 average, bowled 167-184-167. We took 5 points. I think we're still in 3rd place in the standings.

Anywho, I played in my first tournament last week (www.LIGBTour.com) but got my ass handed to me. I'm used to a dry/light oil lane, the place I went to was Syosset Lanes on LI, which had a "Route 66" Pattern which spelled disaster for me. My ball is meant for the dry/light oil that i'm used to, and this pattern is very different than what I'm used to (32 feet heavy oil and buffed to 43 feet). I scored 141-125-153. I just couldn't hit the pocket consistently. It was a very hard shot for me. I finished 31 out of 66 in the Handicap division. My friend who I was with was 3 pins off of making the cut (615), so we both went home early. Anywho, I'm trying out another tournament tomorrow at a different place and different organization (List here http://www.bowling300.com/nabioflongisland/events.htm), I'm told the lane is very similar to the alley I bowl in, so I should do a heck of a lot better. We'll see how it goes!

Also, I decided to get another ball, just ordered it, and it should help me when the lanes are a bit more oily, as it's good for light/medium/heavy oil patterns. After a lot of research and to find something that would suit my style, I chose Storm's Thunder series, the HY-ROAD (14lbs):

Core:

Description:
While designing and testing the Hy-Road™ we kept in mind that we needed to maintain the superior on-lane performance that has come expected from the Thunder Line™ of bowling balls. Our desired outcome was to create a bowling ball that strategically placed itself in-between the T-Road Solid™ and T-Road Pearl™. What better way to do so than combine the two coverstocks, hence creating a hybrid coverstock. By utilizing the ever so powerful Inverted Fe² Technology for the weight block, we knew that we could create the mid-lane read needed to handle a medium-heavy lane condition. By encasing the weight block inside the R2S™ Hybrid coverstock, we found the perfect balance between its two predecessors. We found the Hybrid to be a great go-to ball once the T-Road Solid™ is too much. It gives you better mid-lane control than the Pearl. The reaction can be described as the ultimate benchmark reaction, mid-lane read with a predictable hook motion.
Specs:
Coverstock:R2S™ Hybrid
Weight Block:Inverted Fe² Technology
Factory Finish:1500-grit Polish
Ball Color:Black/Ultramarine Blue
Durometer:74-76 Rex D-scale
Flare Potential:5” - 6” (High)
Fragrance:Boysenberry

Let's hope that I get adjusted to it, and it helps my game!
I like storm balls, I don't have one presently but have thrown the Virtual Gravity and Dimension and liked them - I'm moving in a few months so I've reigned in all unnecessary purchases, but I plan to get a Virtual Gravity after the move. The Hy-Road is the ball Norm Duke throws most of the time, that in itself says a lot! He's a moderate speed, low rev player, the type of shot that is easy for even rookies to replicate. Not the most exciting throw to watch, but it's hard to deny his success.

I don't know how you bowl, i.e. what track you play, ball speed, revs, etc... but when I notice oily lanes the best bet I have is to come outside and have the ball break late. I bowled on the Shark pattern and I was playing between the 2nd and 6th boards, my starting position was the 5th board, so I was playing the extreme outside and it worked really well. Normally I play 5-15 boards further inside, depends on the lane conditions.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:50 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS

In addition to what CLtotheTL32 said it sounds like you need practice. It's very frustrating at first, bowling is not the simple game most think it is. The first basics are your starting position and your target, you should be using the dots/dashes on the approach to make sure you are starting from the same spot and making adjustments from a fixed location. Then make sure your foot work is correct, be it a 4 or 5 step approach. The next thing is to find your target, use the 15ft arrows, do NOT look at the pins on a full rack. Follow through so that the ball spins(this is known as rotation) but be sure not to "pull" the ball when you do this, make sure it's heading on target. Keep your body square and don't flail your arm/shoulder, keep the swing smooth and like a half circle. Finish the release with a smooth and consistent follow through, it's known as "shaking hands with the pins" because it looks like just that. There are more advanced things to watch, but these basics will get you scoring into the 150-200 range consistently, dialing in the rest of the game for even better scores takes a lot of practice and dedication to the sport. Getting equipment the compliments how you play and want to play is a HUGE benefit, but until you get the basics down and know what and how you want to do it, don't make a big investment in equipment. Watch some pro's see who you like and who you don't, film yourself and see who' style you most closely match.

The key is to be consistent and to have a shot you can replicate time and time again, which means you are comfortable with it, a HUGE swing and a ton of rotation(this style shot is known as a cranker) is cool to watch, but they are the lowest average players(at least in the PBA), the less exciting throw style known as a "stroker" is the highest and dullest to watch, it's easy to replicate and creates consistency which yields dividends.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Well maybe I should have said it another way...I only bowl a few times a year. Last night was 1 of them. I was really getting pissed with my scores of 36 & 40 & I mean all my balls were going into the gutter left. Putting up zero's. Would have been the next tiger woods if it was golf. The people I were with weren't even trying & got like 90+.
Maybe I should stick to shooting
Old 01-17-2010, 05:15 PM

^Ouch

Honestly bowling isn't really that easy. Try to go more often and get more practice.

Here are pictures of my set on Thursday night. I'm the bowler on the bottom. Check out the ONE strike in the first game...yet I was clean:toocoool:

First game:

Second game:

Third game:

Last edited by CLtotheTL32; 01-17-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Bowled for the first time in years a few days ago. I started out pretty bad but came into my own and managed a 135.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:01 PM

^Not bad at all considering you don't go often.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:09 AM
ADVANCE.

Yeah, bowling is frustrating if you don't go too often. But once you get the hang of it you are gonna want to know how to hook the ball and stuff like that. Next thing you know you are buying a ball and joining leagues. =) I love bowling!

This is pretty cool how this thread keeps going and going. I'm glad people keep coming in. Just talking about how I was in a slump at the end of last year and hearing you guys telling me your stories helped me out! Great place to vent! haha...

Well so far I've been scoring over my average ever since after the holiday break. Feels good to come back and start the year strong. My ave is 166 and averaged about 170 these past two weeks. So I'm beginning to pick it up again so I'm happy. Last week we took 4 games and my whole team was there. My team for the past two months have been inconsistent in showing up due to the holidays but it's all good. But we all bowled well last week and finally won. haha...

Question, for the league bowlers, are all your teammates there majority of the time? I hate it when ya gotta bowl by yourself. But feels good when you win! haha
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
2008 Acura TL

Yea my team is always there. I never miss a week, either.

Shot 708 in practice yesterday. Front 6 2nd and 3rd game!

Was throwing my older ball, and got some confidence back.

Shoofin, that's cool about the tournament. I should go try one.

http://www.ligbtour.com/ligbtour/event-info.cfm

Last edited by Rounder; 01-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by J-STEELE
Yeah, bowling is frustrating if you don't go too often. But once you get the hang of it you are gonna want to know how to hook the ball and stuff like that. Next thing you know you are buying a ball and joining leagues. =) I love bowling!

This is pretty cool how this thread keeps going and going. I'm glad people keep coming in. Just talking about how I was in a slump at the end of last year and hearing you guys telling me your stories helped me out! Great place to vent! haha...

Well so far I've been scoring over my average ever since after the holiday break. Feels good to come back and start the year strong. My ave is 166 and averaged about 170 these past two weeks. So I'm beginning to pick it up again so I'm happy. Last week we took 4 games and my whole team was there. My team for the past two months have been inconsistent in showing up due to the holidays but it's all good. But we all bowled well last week and finally won. haha...

Question, for the league bowlers, are all your teammates there majority of the time? I hate it when ya gotta bowl by yourself. But feels good when you win! haha
My teammates are always there except once this season when one of the couples I bowl with, the husband's dad passed away and they had to go to Canada to handle that situation.

If my whole team is going to be missing, I'll still show up and give it a fight!

Originally Posted by Rounder
Yea my team is always there. I never miss a week, either.

Shot 708 in practice yesterday. Front 6 2nd and 3rd game!

Was throwing my older ball, and got some confidence back.

Nice man! It seems like you and I have traded spots; I've been shooting under average and you have been bowling over!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Rounder

The next one is in your neck of the woods, this sunday..I won't be there though, as I'm driving down to FL that day..

LIGBT First Queens Event - Sunday January 24, 2pm:

Cozy Lanes
9818 Rockaway Blvd.
Ozone Park, NY 11417

You should try it! Although I hear this place has one of the toughest shots around..
Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, once you pick bowling up as a hobby thats when you know your life is over..go ahead and shoot yourselves now
Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 AM

^
Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 AM
2008 Acura TL

Originally Posted by Shoofin
The next one is in your neck of the woods, this sunday..I won't be there though, as I'm driving down to FL that day..

LIGBT First Queens Event - Sunday January 24, 2pm:

Cozy Lanes
9818 Rockaway Blvd.
Ozone Park, NY 11417

You should try it! Although I hear this place has one of the toughest shots around..

My teammate is going to that. I am usually busy with other things sunday afternoons, but I may give one a try one of these weekends. Rather go out to Farmingdale or Syosset however...
Old 01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
2008 Acura TL

Tough shot last night... 167 the first game, started by leaving the 3-4-6-7-10 and picked it up.

Then I found the line the 2nd game and the lanes dried up, 222 and then front 6 last game, ended with a 229, shoot me Went 6X, then 5/, X, 9-, open (washout). ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
In my opinion a fingertip ball will almost always help everyone no matter the skill level.

I don't bowl nearly as often as I did before. Now I bowl about once every 1.5 months. Bowling is like riding a bicycle. I would say my average is about 170 now, it was about 190 when I bowled once a week.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 AM
2008 Acura TL

^ you should only use fingertip once you start to average over 140-150. it won't help new bowlers that don't know how to throw.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:46 PM

Shot 628 last night. Not bad but still 20 under my average
Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM
2008 Acura TL

Crazy league last night. TWO 300s were shot, as well as a 7-10 split conversion.

Guy that shot one of the 300s was on the pair next to me, pretty exciting. He's only a 175-180 average and said it was his 3rd...so there's hope for me yet...

Shot a 608 or something...don't remember but it was just over average.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:10 PM

^A guy in my league averages 170 and shot a 298 last night. Nothing else special about last night. I was throwing the ball great but couldn't pick up easy spares.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
2008 Acura TL

I made ALL my single pin spares. Too bad I throw a split in the middle of each game. ugh
Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM

^Yep I did the same last night. Front 4, single pin spare, then 4-6-7

I was 100% for the 10-pin last night though. Well that's because I picked up the only one I left
Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

It's been an odd few weeks for me, for some reason my ball doesn't seem to have the drive it did a few weeks ago. Entry angle is nice, ball speed is consistent, right on target with good rotation and unless I come really high flush it seems to hit "softer" then it did a month ago, weird. It hasn't impacted my score too much, but it's weird that the ball that used to hit like a mack truck now hits like a fiat. Thankfully I've been getting a lot of strikes with pins falling late, but it doesn't sit well with me. If I have another week of light hits I may look to getting a new ball sooner rather then later.

In other bowling news I've been a split picking up son-of-a-bitch, the only thing better then getting them would be not leaving them. I picked up two 6-7-10's, two 5-10's, one 5-7, and three 3-10's. I still need to get a 7-10 and a 4-6 and I think I've gotten them all

I've started playing a new and somewhat entertaining game, if I go bowling with someone who sucks, I offer to pick up the mess they leave, I've gotten the opportunity to pick up some truly bizarre leaves, some that just look funny! an example of this, and I don't know how it was left was a 1-5-8-9, not hard to get but not super easy!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
2008 Acura TL

236-255-234=725

Finally.

Too bad the hi series was 5 more pins

I'm creeping up on hi avg. though. 205 now and I hope the first place guy dropped to 206...
Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM

^Awesome set man!

I shot 648 this past Thursday. Missed 3 stupid single pin spares

My average is dropping like crazy. I think I'm down to 216 now
Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
2008 Acura TL

Another good night:

240 (split in 10th) - 225 (open in 10th) - 200. = 665

Coulda had a 279 the first game, so frustrating. Threw it way too slow.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM

^Damn you should have shot 700 last night.

My bowling alley got brand new bowling pins and they fucked me over last night. I had 13 ten pins, missing two.

224, 184, 231 for 639. I haven't shot my average for a set since early December

Quick Reply: Bowling: News and Discussion Thread