Southwest Arizona, Nevada & New Mexico

Lowering My TL... Where to Go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lowering My TL... Where to Go?

Whats up everyone, Any Ideas where to go to lower my 08 TL? Also do I need new springs? also what price should I be paying, I live in the San Tan Valley, but work in Tempe... Thx guys
Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
i would go to tuning gruppe i just recommended another forum member on here to there. they are down in tempe so they arent that far from you especially if ur at san tan. In terms of lowering though unless you plan to cut your cureent springs you will need new spring to lower it( i do not recomment cutting them) . Lowering itself though you have two ways to go, coilovers or springs. Coilovers are adjustable springs are not and you can get a way more aggressive stance on coils if thats what your looking for. Good quality spring will set you back about $150-$250 without shipping for all 4 corners and your average drop will be just under and inch all around sometimes just more than an inch. All the TL's you saw at the meet page who had the rolling shots and were at the fgg meet are dropped about 2.5 inches give or take a little more. So we are all sittong on coilovers. For coils it depends on what your looking for, there is height only adjustable and there is height and stiffness adjustable. Height adjustable will be cheaper, and good quality coild should be somewhere around $700 to $900. The best coilovers will be height and stiffness adjustable (not to say height only are bad, they are what i have the Tein Street Basis, they work beautifully) these sets will be usually over $1000 but there are many different option and you can mix and math your springs with dampers if you really want dampers are hard to find seperately though. There is also one more option that i didnt mention bags. haha theese can adjust to any height you want, but are pricey at usually $1500 - $2000 a set. They are definetly fun and cool though haha i wouldnt mind some. Also, if you are getting just lowering springs then i would suggest also getting dampers like koni's which are really high quality this is just because the stock struts arent meants to ahndle lowering springs so to be safe and get the best performance out of your springs struts and springs would be the best, only thing is your approaching coilover price at that point. I hope this helped out, haha i know its a bit long!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Thx ultimatum127for your time...I wish i was there Sat, had to miss it, would of loved to say all the TL's...only had mine for 5 months so def looking to do some mods to it, Say if I just change out the Springs, would one inch really make a difference? Visual and performance wise? meaning would it be more of a stiffness to it by doing so? Once again for your time, really helps out a newbie
Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PowerSergNY
Thx ultimatum127for your time...I wish i was there Sat, had to miss it, would of loved to say all the TL's...only had mine for 5 months so def looking to do some mods to it, Say if I just change out the Springs, would one inch really make a difference? Visual and performance wise? meaning would it be more of a stiffness to it by doing so? Once again for your time, really helps out a newbie

Performace wise and stiffness wise there will be a huge difference. Looks wise its a whole other planet! You'll have incr eased handling, acceleration and looks. What you need to ask yourself though is how low do you want to go? That'll decide everything, if you want to be able to change the height to your liking theb coils are for you even if you have to save up for them they will be a better investment for your car and most guys on here will agree with that. If you just want a mild drop though and think you'll be happy with it then springs are your choice.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Thanks again.... I saw some H&K springs for $250 on ebay, So do you think I would be unhappy with it? I am new to this, So i really dont know, Will 1.5 drop really make a difference even in look wise? I guess I'll just wait til the next meet to talk to everyone and pick their brains, I already have after market tires and rims, so i guess I'll just measure the gap in there...thanks again
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Springs are pretty unpredictable as they still have to settle in after installation. Coilovers are the way to go, they also settle in but they are adjustable. If you choose to go with coilovers, look into KSport, they are local here in Arizona and may give a good deal. I am currently on Form&Function coilovers, but I wish I had known Ksport was local. Otherwise I'd be on Ksport right now.

Last edited by Decayin; 05-18-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Thx, Decayin...I'll just hold off, til i get the funds to do the coils, just in case.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Decayin
Springs are pretty unpredictable as they still have to settle in after installation. Coilovers are the way to go, they also settle in but they are adjustable. If you choose to go with coilovers, look into KSport, they are local here in Arizona and may give a good deal. I am currently on Form&Function coilovers, but I wish I had known Ksport was local. Otherwise I'd be on Ksport right now.

Teins are the way to go D!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Teins, KSports, Megans, they're all good! lol. F&F is okay.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
You can pick up Ksports pretty inexpensive as they are local to your area,

for install, check out UMS tuning, very professional and good mechanics also much closer to you than Tempe
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Thx guys just went to Ksports website, Saw that they are located in Gilbert, What do you think basic will run, want to lower it and still have a smooth ride, not sure if this helps lol
Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerSergNY
Thx guys just went to Ksports website, Saw that they are located in Gilbert, What do you think basic will run, want to lower it and still have a smooth ride, not sure if this helps lol
You need to understand that you will be giving up a good portion of "smooth ride" when lowering your vehicle. You are changing your suspension geometry and the dynamics of your ride.

The lower you go, the less ride quality you will have.

Call up Ksport, ask for Chris, let him know you talked to a guy in a Base RSX with ksports and were interested in a set for your car. Pricing should be good.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Thx again Everyone