Using a Self Serve Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:50 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using a Self Serve Car Wash

Is is that bad to use those car washes that you use quarters for? Is the brush dirty (scratch the paint)? Can the soap could damage the clear coat? What if you don't have access to a place to wash? What's the best solution? Buy buckets and wash/dry car in a parking lot? No, I never use automated car washes.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Uh...

Yes.
Yes.
Not really.
Sucks for you.
Two buckets and Optimum No Rinse.
Yes.
Good.
The following 3 users liked this post by Aman:
filipinoooy (10-11-2012), NewTSXDriver (08-31-2012), r000m101 (09-10-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 12:55 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
If you dont have a place to wash it use the self serve washes but , bring two buckets and a microfiber mit and towels. use one bucket as a soap bucket and use the other as a rinse soap up the mit then start from top and work your way down. when your low on soap dont put the mit back into the soap bucket put in the rinse this will keep any dirty collected off of the mit and off of your car. kinda hard to explain hit up youtube and check out the two bucket method of washing a car . oh and btw DO NOT USE THOSE BRUSHES YOU WILL GET SWIRLS IN YOUR PAINT lol
The following users liked this post:
NewTSXDriver (10-09-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

perfect video and check out his paint BEAUTIFUL
filipinoooy (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NewTSXDriver
Is is that bad to use those car washes that you use quarters for? Is the brush dirty (scratch the paint)? Can the soap could damage the clear coat? What if you don't have access to a place to wash? What's the best solution? Buy buckets and wash/dry car in a parking lot? No, I never use automated car washes.
I have never tried this but supposedly you can wash your car with NO WATER.

Amazon Amazon

The other thing you can do is go to a "TOUCH LESS" car wash, where they only have water spraying your car (no brush, no nothing). It's not going to do a great job but it'll get the junk off your car till the weather gets warmer and you can wash it yourself.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The best solution is to find a friend or pay place that allows you to wash it yourself.

The second best solution is one of those brushless, hand car wash places. They usually have deals on Tuesdays and Wednesdays because nobody gets their car washed then. Place by my work will do it for $8, plus whatever tip you give.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by The Stig CA
The best solution is to find a friend or pay place that allows you to wash it yourself.

The second best solution is one of those brushless, hand car wash places. They usually have deals on Tuesdays and Wednesdays because nobody gets their car washed then. Place by my work will do it for $8, plus whatever tip you give.
Even better would be top just use Optimum No Rinse:
Amazon Amazon

The following 3 users liked this post by denwhat:
gonzo08452 (08-31-2012), NewTSXDriver (10-09-2012), TLtrigirl (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 02:25 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by The Stig CA

Nooooooooooooooooooooo.

Those hand wash places are really called "hand scratched" for good reason.

They use harsh chemicals to remove dirt assuming they don't use use those strips of dirty cloth (instead of brushes) in addition to the chemicals. Once "washed" the car is attacked by a couple of guys that use dirty rags to dry the car. If they drop a rag, no problem, they just pick it up and keep going.

Optimum No Rinse is the way to go if you don't have access to a hose. A self serve place is fine as long as you just use their water and stall.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Go to self-service place and blast your car down with water to get any caked on crap off and especially bugs (spayed 5 mins before with Chemical Guys Bug Squash)...

Then go home (no problems in my busy apartment parking lot) or to the Wal-mart parking lot (it's 85% empty 24/7 anyway?) and do the two bucket method with Optimum No Rinse and a wool mitt. It is the shit, I'm tellin' ya!
NewTSXDriver (08-31-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
In the winter I go to touchless car wash. Nothing touchs paint. I bring a microfiber towel with me and dry what water blower does not remove.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
The self-serve car was by my house does not allow buckets. No place to get water except for a couple of sinks w/ a weird size spout so you cant attach a hose. The place gets packed as well since its by a university and open limited hours.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:50 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Hey man...what are you going to do about your username after you owned the TSX for like a year or two LOL
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
I do the two bucket method at the self service place even in the winter. I bring my own soap and I'm basically only using their water (which is heated in the winter)
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by parasitius
Go to self-service place and blast your car down with water to get any caked on crap off and especially bugs (spayed 5 mins before with Chemical Guys Bug Squash)...

Then go home (no problems in my busy apartment parking lot) or to the Wal-mart parking lot (it's 85% empty 24/7 anyway?) and do the two bucket method with Optimum No Rinse and a wool mitt. It is the shit, I'm tellin' ya!

hahaha...what the...wash your car in a wal-mart parking lot?! there's a WT joke in there somewhere..lol
Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Looks like I'm a little late to the party here, but I wouldn't use one of those washes with the brushes. I haven't used them in a long time, but I stopped because the brushes were leaving scratches in my finish.

To all of you guys washing your car in parking lots with two buckets, could you please film that next time? That sounds like it would be one of the strangest (read: hilarious) things in the world to witness.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by EhkoXC
To all of you guys washing your car in parking lots with two buckets, could you please film that next time? That sounds like it would be one of the strangest (read: hilarious) things in the world to witness.
Not necessarily. It actually makes a lot of sense to those who care about their car's finish:

I've read about optimum rinseless wash and I have to agree with everyone's recommendation. It sounds like good stuff for those who have water restriction or don't have access to a hose. Investing in the two bucket method, a grit guard, wash mit, and the rinseless wash will eventually pay for itself after a few washes. Last time I used those self car washes (on my previous vehicle), it costed about $5. Pretty expensive especially when you can wash your car 32 times (32 oz. bottle) at a cost of ~$50.

Last edited by Domm; 09-04-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Domm
Not necessarily. It actually makes a lot of sense to those who care about their car's finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8vs7dEIwk

I've read about optimum rinseless wash and I have to agree with everyone's recommendation. It sounds like good stuff for those who have water restriction or don't have access to a hose. Investing in the two bucket method, a grit guard, wash mit, and the rinseless wash will eventually pay for itself after a few washes. Last time I used those self car washes (on my previous vehicle), it costed about $5. Pretty expensive especially when you can wash your car 32 times (32 oz. bottle) at a cost of ~$50.
Thanks for the video, that's not at all what I had in mind. I guess I could see doing that without looking odd in a parking lot.

So far though, I've been fortunate enough to have access to a hose and garage for when I wash and wax my car.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
On recent road trip to San Fran in a black Trailblazer SS, I brought along my wash mit and 2 mfwv towels w/ no buckets. Upon arrival, I went to nearby self-serve car wash. I rinsed off as much as I can then blasted it with the soapy stuff so I can run the wash mitt throughout the entire truck. I rinsed it off w/ spot free rinse mode and dried it w/ the 2 microfiber waffle-weaves. Not ideal, but it worked well enough. I really should have brought along my quick detailer and glass cleaner to get it close to perfect. Really surprised how good it look considering it only took me 25minuites on a black car.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I've used Optimum No Rinse and it is a great product. I have a 2-car garage and can normally wash the cars outside but in the winter I can wash both cars inside without a hose or needing to open the garage. My tip though is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 1-gal garden sprayer like this...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_58855-1319-3...RL=&facetInfo=

It costs $10. Put a cap full of the Optimim No-rinse in the sprayer, add water and pump it up. Then mist it over the car and let it soak. This loosens any dirt. 1 Gal is enough to cover one car. Then before it dries off use the Optimum in the bucket with the mitt and wash the car. Top to bottom, front to back just like any washing technique. Then just dry with a micro fiber. Then I follow up with a spray wax (I like Ultimate Four Star) and it will clean easier next time.

You can clean a car with 2 gal of water this way and no hose needed. I've also cleaned the car during water rationing with this technique.

I've been lazy lately and haven't been keeping up like I should but ONR is not a gimmic, it works.

Corection: I looked and I actually use this 1.5 liter sprayer! Although a Gal would be nice.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_36943-89543-...RL=&facetInfo=

Last edited by Rocket_man; 09-10-2012 at 01:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
gonzo08452 (09-10-2012), NewTSXDriver (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM
5th Gear

I will order Optimum as suggested. I need shade to wash and dry so maybe I can park at a mall parking garage.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM
5th Gear

OldTSXDriver?

Originally Posted by TSXKid2010
Hey man...what are you going to do about your username after you owned the TSX for like a year or two LOL
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
This is my new detail routine

Schitcky with rubber brush (it works wonders for dog hair)
Vacuum
Take a bucket and a mitt with ya.
Spray the car down. Foam it with their sprayer.
Use your mitt to clean. Rinse in bucket.
Don't use Their brush. Maybe on the wheels.
Dry with a water blade and mf towel. ( i keep these in my trunk always)
Bring it home. Spray detail w. mf towels.
Clay. Wipe down as you go.
Polish with buffer ( I tried prima swirl. Not sure I like it. Wasn't very smooth. Could be user error since I'm kinda new to polishing. )

Seal by hand (poor boys ex-p)
Cure over night.
Wipe down with mf towel
Second coat of sealant.

Clean windows with invisiglass
Front with rainx
Wipe down leather parts with lexol
Wipe down kux suede with damp cloth
Minor brushing if needed with a tooth brush. Soft bristle.
Brush all the vents with a paint brush
Wipe everything down with 303. Including leather and cf vinyl trim pieces.

if the cars been sealed recently just rinse off with some water and water blade + mf towel.

I can't wait til I move in to a house. Townhouses are cool but not good for cars!!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My method and links to products I use

Don't use self serve car washes with brushes. I was a moron and my old TL's finish is dull and the clear coat is almost non-existent now.

The 2 bucket method (+ grit guards) with Optimum no rinse works really well for me!

The trick is to work panel by panel, starting with the top of the car, working your way down to the lower panels. (ie: Roof to doors to the trunk to the rear bumper - onto the hood then the front bumper etc)

With a little help of youtube and advice here, my routine for each panel/section of the car is:

1. Fill 2 grit guarded buckets with 2-3 gallons of water. Buckets I use:
Amazon Amazon

2. Add approximately 2 oz. of Optimum No Rinse solution to ONE bucket:
Amazon Amazon

3. Dip the sponge into the bucket with the solution and dab the panel you are working on. Put the sponge into the second bucket and rinse out any dirt that may be on the sponge. Put the sponge back into solution bucket and wipe down in straight lines to avoid swirls. Rinse the sponge in the rinse bucket again.
Sponge that I'm currently using:
Amazon Amazon

4. Completely dry the panel with a good quality microfiber towel. (no link cause I bought a huge pack from costco )

5. Apply your choice of wax on the panel you just cleaned: The wax I use:
Amazon Amazon

I'm applying the wax with this even coat applicator:
Amazon Amazon

6. Take a new/separate microfiber towel and remove the excess wax (straight lines again)

And thats it, just don't rush and go panel by panel working from the top down. It's taking me slightly over two hours for the whole process, and it seems like a lot of work but I only plan to wash/wax once every month or so. (I also do a quick interior wipe down, apply rain-x and tire shine)

The hand car wash and wax place near me charges about $26 per visit and they probably wouldn't be as detailed if you just do it yourself. Also, it's much more economical to do it yourself and you won't get them swirlies!

P.S. I highly recommend the buckets I linked above if you are an apartment dweller. Fill up the buckets at home with water and twist the lids on shut - there's a rubber seal to prevent spillage/leaks. You won't have to worry about the lids coming off when you're driving to a more open/shaded spot to do the wash.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Using a Self Serve Car Wash-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-10-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I've used Optimum No Rinse and it is a great product. I have a 2-car garage and can normally wash the cars outside but in the winter I can wash both cars inside without a hose or needing to open the garage. My tip though is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 1-gal garden sprayer like this...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_58855-1319-3...RL=&facetInfo=

It costs $10. Put a cap full of the Optimim No-rinse in the sprayer, add water and pump it up. Then mist it over the car and let it soak. This loosens any dirt. 1 Gal is enough to cover one car. Then before it dries off use the Optimum in the bucket with the mitt and wash the car. Top to bottom, front to back just like any washing technique. Then just dry with a micro fiber. Then I follow up with a spray wax (I like Ultimate Four Star) and it will clean easier next time.

You can clean a car with 2 gal of water this way and no hose needed. I've also cleaned the car during water rationing with this technique.

I've been lazy lately and haven't been keeping up like I should but ONR is not a gimmic, it works.

Corection: I looked and I actually use this 1.5 liter sprayer! Although a Gal would be nice.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_36943-89543-...RL=&facetInfo=

this is a great idea!
gonna try this out next time i wash.
i live in a townhouse so its a pain in the ass to wash my car. i usually drive to a self serve. wash there and have to drive back before i can clay/polish/seal.
its a PITA since the nearest wash is about 20mins away.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I will order Optimum as suggested. I need shade to wash and dry so maybe I can park at a mall parking garage.
if youre ordering from autogeek, you can get free shipping with Code CDFS i think.

used it today to place a order for some stuff