Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Rear Ended...Need Advice (UPDATE: REPAIRED! 1/17/12

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 02:04 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Got Rear Ended...Need Advice (UPDATE: REPAIRED! 1/17/12

So, long story short, I was on my way to my in laws house to get ready for a road trip and I got rear ended.

I got into the left of 2 lanes and the light turned yellow. Normally I would have run the yellow but I knew this light had a red light camera and didn't want to risk it. I stopped and the car behind me hit me pretty hard (speed limit was about 25, he had to be doing 30ish or more. He pushed me slightly into the street but no biggie. I had my seatbelt on so I'm feeling fine. No whiplash or anything.

I get out of the car and the older guy is cussing me out; telling me I cut him off and blah blah. I got in front of him shortly before the accident, but by no means did I cut him off. I've been screwed before so I basically told him "I don't care what you think, you rear ended me and its your fault." And I called the police.

They showed up shortly after and gave him a ticket and exchanged our information.

I called my insurance company since I have full coverage and they scheduled a meeting for after the holiday. They also told me I should file a claim with his insurance (State Farm) and if they accept liability I won't even have to deal with my insurance (Allstate). However, Allstate said they will pay me out (minus my deductible) and then attempt to get the money from State Farm. If they do, I get my deductible refunded. So I filed with State Farm too. I don't see how they can not accept liability since I was rear ended AND there is a police report +ticket for their insured driver. I just wanted to be on the safe side so I filed with my insurance too.

Damage:
-Rear bumper
-Rear A-spec
and of course some damage under there.
-maybe mufflers? not sure...

ALso, i noticed after the accident, my Navigation won't boot up properly. Also, my radio doesn't display the station I am listening to anymore either. Any one have any info on this or a similar experience? I'm scared insurance will try to claim its prior damage or something when in fact it worked perfectly fine before the accident. I'm assuming it had to do with the Nav unit in the trunk...

ANy advice or info would be great. I will probably go with a full Type-S rear end if insurance pays out enough. I'll just have to see how it goes. Luckily I have a good relationship with my body shop so It should be alright. I'm in Toronto for the holiday (Left this morning) so I will have to deal with it when I get back. I left the TL at home and drove 9 hours in my fiance's camry last nigh .

ON to the pics!

Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I'm happy to hear that you and the other driver were not hurt. I can't intelligently answer your questions regarding your issues with your radio and Navi since I have never had that issue but your guess seems logical.

On a personal note, I hate it when I am cruising along within a safe distance of the vehicle in front of me and another driver gets in front of me and then decides to brake suddenly (albeit lawfully e.g. slowing down/stopping for a traffic control device). It cuts down my braking distance. Not necessarily saying you cut the other guy off but I can see why he was pissed. Defensive driving is key.

Stay safe.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Fawkatitle.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
dude I want to see day time pics if possible, I refuse to believe you pushed his front all in, then all u got is scratches on ur bumper... lol If so thumps up to acura!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
good thing the guy wasn't in an SUV...your trunk lid would be messed up.

wow i'm pretty surprised that the other guy incurred so much damage while all your bumper had was scratches and indentations. he must have nailed that bumper square under the cover.

your navi...probably damaged the DVD unit from the hit. lucky your airbags didn't go off either.

gald to hear everyone was ok.

let the insurance do their thing. the other guy's insurance should be covering everything and he will be found to be at fault since he was also issued a citation. be safe out there.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
What surprises me is the damage ratio between your car and his car is WAY off.

Glad to hear you're safe, though.

What are you doing in Toronto?
Just staying for the holidays?
Old 12-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16

Glad to hear you're safe, though.

What are you doing in Toronto?
Just staying for the holidays?
The damage ratio is that high because the guy must have slammed on his brakes pretty hard and thus caused the nose of the car to pivot down. This "lowering" of his car essentially pushed it under the TL. That's why his hood is messed up so far up vs. the TL which doesn't look that bad.

The navi drive may have incurred some damage due to the high speed impact since the radio is tied into the navi drive. As far as damage, you may need new mufflers, either a refinished or new bumper, and a new a-spec kit. I'd estimate the total to come out to about 1300 if it needs mufflers as well, or 1k without the new mufflers.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:36 PM
TL-S

Thanks for the info and input guys.

The only concern I have is about the navi. Everything else I'm sure will be covered; I just don't want them to try to claim it as previous damage or something like that.

As for the mufflers, I seriously hope they'll be replaced. Then I'll upgrade to a full type-s rear :thumbsup

GP: Yeah I'm here visiting some in-laws for the holidays it's my first time to Canada though!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:29 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
glad everyone is ok....

i think he got distracted by those green wheels

but the damage doesnt seem too much, on your car.....new rear bumper and aspec kit
Old 12-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
If I remember correctly didn't you and I joke about this happening to you so that you could get a Type-S rear?

Glad your OK bro.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
i got rear ended today too bad day for acuras lol i didnt get hit as hard as u but i need a new rear bumper and aspec trim piece
Old 12-24-2011, 07:29 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ the fuck....really ?

am not driving my car today....
Old 12-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Searching..

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
glad you're okay.

that's around main st fairfax if im not mistaking. i remember seeing your old accord on campus.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
whats with the neon green rims???
Old 12-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Stop worrying. If the Navi did work before the accident, than you'll be fine. Explain it in detail to YOUR insurance first. Then let them decide what you need to do.

The other guys car is totaled.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:48 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
A few months ago my tsx was rearended. Was slowing down for a redlight that then turned green. The traffic started to move but stopped suddenly. I was able to stop but the car in back slammed into my car. Our cars ended up with almost the same damage as your cars. I could drive my car=their's was totaled. I did not deal at all with my insurance-their insurance took care of it including the rental car. The other driver did get a ticket and also was arrested for outstanding warrants. Luckily they had insurance. Deal with the other driver's insurance first and if you do not get satisfaction go thru your insurance. Good luck
Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Their insurance will pay for everything. Do not involve your insurance and do not file a claim unless you have problems with state farm. Tell them your navi unit is broken and needs to be replaced and the radio antennae is damaged as well. Your exhaust is probably toast and your rear bumper. Make sure you get to choose where you want to take for repair. Their insurance will want to send you to the cheapest place they can. Geico wanted a ford dealership to work on my acura, I told them to go fly a kite. Call a good acura dealer near you and ask them for two places to get repair work done. If the dealer does it, go there. Probably $2500 damage to yours. $8500 to the accord, $4k airbags, $4500 front end damge, totaled. Ive been hit four times in the last three years. You may have issues getting a type s bumper considering their insurance may only want to pay for bringing your car back to stock look. If you work with the repair facility you may be able to work out a deal.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
I'm happy to hear that you and the other driver were not hurt. I can't intelligently answer your questions regarding your issues with your radio and Navi since I have never had that issue but your guess seems logical.

On a personal note, I hate it when I am cruising along within a safe distance of the vehicle in front of me and another driver gets in front of me and then decides to brake suddenly (albeit lawfully e.g. slowing down/stopping for a traffic control device). It cuts down my braking distance. Not necessarily saying you cut the other guy off but I can see why he was pissed. Defensive driving is key.

Stay safe.
thats the polite way of saying....you fuck'd up and caused this guy to rear end you.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Quana, sorry to see this-it always spoils the holidays. I'm glad you're OK. I hope your TL gets fixed FAST!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:59 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
For a rear end collision (or accident in general), I want to say you probably got off as favorably as can be asked for...

btw, those are the craziest rims i've ever seen on a TL! Whatever rocks your boat though!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahhaha nice, you fucked his world up with that bumper! im glad to see the other car fucked and urs prolly jus needs a lil spot painting and a new bumper
Old 12-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad to see that both were okay no injuries. Boy Acura is strong only a few scrapes and the other car is tore up
Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
There is a good chance there is damage being hidden by the bumper cover as well. Remember that cover is purely to make it look pretty. All of the structure behind it could be smushed/bent as well. It does help that his hood (not a solid part of the structure) hit your bumper (quite solid) so his damage (visible) is way more than the TL.

If you have already contacted Allstate (your insurance), the claim is already started on your own policy. I am sure it will all work out between State Farm and Allstate and you should get your deductible back. Everyone needs to remember that insurance is regulated by the local state and differs greatly in how responsibility and negative claims are handled. But in general, like others have said, in accidents of this type you should not contact your own insurance company unless you get no response from the other party. At least in the state of MO, as soon as you call the insurance company to notify them, the claim has been started. This bit me before with Allstate who counted a not-at-fault accident against me and decided to not renew since I called them to discuss my options.

OP...good luck and hopefully all works out.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:33 PM
TL-S

Thanks for the input and advice guys.

My insurance company assured me that my rates are guaranteed not to go upas a result of this accidet; whatever that means. I don't really believe it but oh well lol.

I only went to my insurance company because I was screwed over one time where the other persons insurance denies my claim and I was left to fix my car. I'm not a big fan of insurance companies but it's whatever.

I'm just playing the waiting game for now. I'd rather go to their insurance so I can get a rental car as I don't have rental insurance. Also I'll be getting some other scratches repaired while it's in the shop. I have a body shop I regularly work with so I'm lucky on that front.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
good thing ur ok...i dunno what hurts me more looking at ur bumber or looking at those rims
Old 12-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
good thing the guy wasn't in an SUV...your trunk lid would be messed up.
Got hit by a drunk in an F-250 who ran a light and t-boned the front of my car. Hit us so hard he buckled the roof of my Maxima, damage was over $18,000!

quanaman-don't sign anything saying you are physically okay, sometimes it takes a day or two for the pain to show up. My son was sore immediately after our wreck, the pain in my arm and upper back didn't show up until the next day. Wasn't anything major, but my son needed 6 weeks of therapy, I needed about 4. Since the guy's BAC was .216, his insurance was on the generous side (they don't want to end up in court with their policy holder having been that intoxicated, juries really stick it to drunks these days) so we both ended up with about $3000 after lawyer and doctor fees.

You absolutely do not have to use the body shop they want you to go to and you definitely don't want to use the dealership, 95% of them absolutely suck at paint and body work. Stay away from chain body shops too, like Craigs, Collision King, etc. They get insurance contracts because they are willing to cut corners (aftermarket parts, less time prepping for paint, etc) to get business sent their way. Look for an independent body shop that is willing to show you their repaired cars in the full sun. That way you can see how the color matches, how well body panels line up, if they leave buffer swirls, etc. Even though you say you have a body shop you work with, still carefully look over cars they have already done. Just because you know them doesn't mean there isn't a better shop out there. Believe me, as a detailer, I regularly see absolutely terrible body work and paint from shops that were highly recommended to the owner of the car.

What you really do not want to do is take the insurance money and price shop after you get it. My brother got $6k for hail damage on his 3 month old truck, then went looking for someone to do the work cheap. Found a shop that would do it for $3500. Absolutely horrible work, runs, drips, sags, fisheyes, visible sanding marks under the paint, primer overspray in the door jambs and even on one interior panel, all over his wheels and engine bay. 3 times in, 3 times out and it looked worse each time. Not to mention they couldn't match the color on a nearly brand new truck. Turned into an 18 month ordeal and he ended up having to sue the body shop.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM
TL-S

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Earlier this week, State Farm called me and told me they spoke with their insured party and are accepting liability. They made an appointment to come take a look at the car tomorrow (Thursday) and then issue payment because I told them I had a shop that I wanted to use, rather than going with their pick. I called my insurance and postponed the claim until next week so I can see what State Farm says tomorrow.

I got back from Canada today and finally got to look at my car in the light. The damage didn't look too bad. The right (Pass side) muffler look like it was pushed in but the driver's side looked fine. I guess I will get the $ for one side and shell out the rest to get Type-S quads. On the parts list on acuraoemparts it doesnt look like you can buy just the pass. muffler..looks like it comes with the whole catback+muffler and then the driver's side is separate. Not sure...

Also, when I turned the car on, the navi and stereo system were working fine. Previously, the upper display didnt show the radio station that I was listening to and the Navi wouldn't boot up properly.

I kind of am glad its back to normal but I kind of wish that it would stay broken so I could get it replaced by the insurance. Now I'm scared it will start acting up again later on. Who knows...

Will post pics tomorrow. Didn't get a chance to take any today!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
At least the person who it you had State Farm, they are the only insurance company I've dealt with after someone hit me that wasn't constantly trying to screw me over. Allstate and Farmers are just horrible to deal with.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
O.P. Gald the guys insurance company is paying for the damages. I hope they dont try to do you like Geico try to do to me. They didn't wanna pay for a new bumper or fender. They told me that it wasn't bad and it could be repaired...

Luckly, i had enough evidence to get a suppliment check.

Last edited by acura_dipset_tl; 12-28-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think your rims might have distracted the driver...
Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Glad you're safe man. Good thing your car wasn't lowered, you would have a lot more damage haha. Those Civic Si wheels?!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
TL-S

Update:

So the insurance adjuster came by today. He took a look at the car and wrote me
A check for 2200 which sounds reasonable. He said there would probably be a supplement after the bumper and other parts are removed. The reinforcement bar and absorber weren't included but I imagine they will be when the body shop tears it down.

Only thin that bothers me is that they accounted 260$ for a refinished (used) bumper which is wack...but a new bumper with the discount is about 230$ from acuraoemparts.com so I'm not complaining too much... Anyway I'm sure my body shop will help me out in getting $ for a new one. Also I got awarded $ for the right muffler all the way up to the cat, which means I will be replacing everything with Type-s exhaust..... Or maybe ATLP quads?! I just hope My Rv6 jpipe is ok. They also awarded me $ for the A-spec lip. I'll just pick up a type-S a-spec and have it painted DGP.

The only other thing was I want to have the navi checked out by Acura to make sure it really is ok. I'm hoping they'll be the typical stealership type and say it all needs to be replaced and charge the insurance for it but who know.

I also asked for diminished value $ and the guy said that needs to be handled after the car is repaired so I'll wait.

She goes in the shop tomorrow. For now, the hunt for parts begins!

Last edited by quanaman; 12-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have already had 3 or 4 body shop quotes for the adjuster before he ever arrived to view the car.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
The navi is a big one. They may total your car if the navi went out-- of course you'd buy it back. Through Acura, a navi replacement is like $7000-- of course you can get it done for $2000.

I'd go for the ATLP exhaust and type rear with a spec. I made a dumb decision to keep some money in my pocket (which I used recklessly) instead of modding.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
First I will say that I'm glad you are fine and you it could have been worse.

I got rear ended 2 months ago and I'm still dealing with the consequences so I know I can lead you in the right direction. The big difference is that the damage between your car and the other car is exactly opposite of what happened to me. My car bore the brunt of the damage and the other guy's car got no damage. That's because in my case the guy didn't even tap the brakes. I was stopped at a red light and he plowed into me full force with no brakes. My car got hit slightly higher than yours (sparing my ATLP exhaust) but my bumper was pushed way in. The other guy's bumper looks like your rear bumper. csmenace is exactly right. When the other guy hit the brakes his front end went for a dive and submarined under your car.

So when I went to my adjuster they totally low balled me and gave me just a bit more than you were quoted. Going to my insurance when it wasn't my fault was a big mistake! Here is rule #1 !!! ALL insurance companies are out for their own bottom-line. Plain and simple. It's a business. They want to take care of you, but trust me, they want to take care of themselves first. That being said, some are better than others. I was with Allstate for years and they treated me well. Switched to GEICO. As advertised they beat everybody on quotes. But cutting those corners means they are gonna slap it to you somewhere. And that means when they have to pay out, you learn your lesson. These guys were even saying they won't cover me A-Spec kit because they think it is aftermarket. I told him it is all OEM and I spent a lot of money on my car. The accident is not my fault, I want it back the way it was. He said I should have paid more money to cover all the aftermarket parts, LOL please, these guys are so full of BS!!! He is there with his "I have 10yrs experience etc" attitude and not believing me when I was trying to explain this is OEM stuff. Annoying when people act like they know it all. That bitch had no idea what an A-Spec kit was. They tried every way to nickle and dime me. I told him the estimate was way too low. He said the bodyshop can appeal for any amendments. I heard it before but I'll now back it up. For the record GEICO SUCKS!!! I'm goin back to Allstate.

I told the Geico adjuster I can't settle for an non-OEM back bumper. My bodyshop tells me to go file a claim with the 3rd party directly and cancel my pathetic Geico check. This is because I was rear ended. A clear case for me. This way I can demand all my parts the way it's supposed to be and I have a right to have OEM parts. But of course it was taking a chance that I would be up for a fight. I didn't mind, it was worth it to get the money I deserved and do the job perfectly right with no corners cut. Bodyshop also told me I had mild frame damage and my car was unsafe to drive so I should keep my car there. This way I can be put into a rental car ASAP and have their adjuster come by pressuring them to speed up the process. So I cancelled the Geico check and had their adjuster look at it. Would you believe I got more than DOUBLE the money this way!!

So the drawback is I have had to pay out of pocket for now and I've had a 2 month fight on my hands. Because when it was time to pay up of course the insurance company started with their weakass defense. With negligence laws etc. I keep fighting back threatening a lawsuit. So it's been a bitch but I'm well prepared and know what I need to do. I'm going to win anyways, it's a tug of war of how much money. I make myself sound like a lawyer and I'm determined. They want to settle for the minimum, but they have no case and they know it. I'd take this easily to small claims court but it is over $5000 and they know this would be a civil suit that is more complicated. If they want to take this to arbitration/court I will REALLY clean them out with diminution in value and every tort damage I can nail them down with.

Pretty close to the end, I'll let you know how it goes, but I think this is the best way to get your car back in tip top shape and get the money you deserve.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 12-29-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
^Very well said rocky, don't let those cheap bastard get over on you. I have a similar situation with geico, they told me that i could't get deminished value until i sell the car. Im thinking of getting my insurance company invoilved. i have state farm and the person who hit my car has geico.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 PM
TL-S

Thanks for the advice!

Read my thread about my exhaust options and please give me some feedback on what I should do

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/accident-damaged-exhaust-looking-new-options-842927/
Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 AM
2004 AM TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No sure if anyone mentioned this already but is that a TL that rear-ended you?

And yeah, I had to deal with an obnoxious insurance adjuster. I didn't bring up diminished value, though I probably should have. He basically gave me the check and said take it or leave it and didn't explain anything to me about the process. Next time I'll be more prepared...
Old 12-30-2011, 05:24 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
After my accident the other driver's insurance was very good even tho they did not give me diminished value on my tsx. Their adjuster was pleasant and complimented me on how well my car was maintained. He said that car must be waxed often. The insurance co. mailed me a check with a letter will cover if more damage is found. The body shop did, they took care of getting the additional money from the insurance co.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by hotgrease
No sure if anyone mentioned this already but is that a TL that rear-ended you?
It's a Honda Accord
Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Acura surprised me with their toughness

Quick Reply: Got Rear Ended...Need Advice (UPDATE: REPAIRED! 1/17/12