Help! Broke something while installing HT-Spec I

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Help! Broke something while installing HT-Spec I

hey guys, i finally got around to getting my coilovers installed today.

while working on taking the oem strut out of the rear driver side, the "end link" on the rear driver side broke. im not sure the EXACT proper name for it, but the guy that was installing it for me said it was called an "end link".

i was thinking "i bought these ht-spec type I's and also got a progress RSB. the RSB comes with end links, maybe i can use those as replacements". well i showed him the end links from the RSB and he said those are different. he said there are 2 diff kinds of end links, and the ones for the RSB are the "bushings" kind.

i have no clue what correct "end link" i need so i can purchase it and get it installed. as of right now, because this "end link" is broke for my rear drivers side, my rear driver tire is WAY TUCKED and WAY CAMBERED OUT compared to the other 3 tires....

heres a picture showing the rear driver side tire. hopefully someone can tell which piece is broken by seeing the way my tire is sitting.

it was a 30 minute drive back home and i cruise controled the whole way going 60-65. i definitely do not feel safe or comfortable knowing that whatever piece it is, is now broken. causing my wheel to sit like so.

i refuse to drive spiritedly until i get this fixed, but i can't get it fixed when i don't even know the part # or official part name. i went to oemacuraparts and typed in end link and nothing popped up for my 2008 base 5at TL
Old 06-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Safety Car

oh and just to add....... I DO have the rear ingalls camber kit installed..... progress RSB is NOT installed yet...

also.... the coilovers weren't adjusted much. my default they lower 1.5inches. my installer adjusted to probably to 1.7inches or so, so my rear left should definitely not be as low as it seems... a friend of mine is lowered 2-2.5 inches on her 8th gen accord and her tires don't look nowhere near tucked as mines does... this "broken" piece, what ever its called, is the culprit.....

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 06-18-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Safety Car

also going to get my alignment done first thing tmrw morning.

i know noone will probably be able to respond in time with an answer, but i'll try asking anyways

do you think they will be able to give my car an alignment seeing how my rear left endlink is broken?

the reason i ask is because my other 3 tires sit fine and this one really does seem out of place and i don't know if that will prevent it from being aligned correctly.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
this is what an endlink looks like on our cars:

and this is a bushing:

The stock ones are black in color and don't have that little grease nipple on them.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csmeance
this is what an endlink looks like on our cars:

and this is a bushing:

The stock ones are black in color and don't have that little grease nipple on them.
thanks alot for verifying with pictures! that indeed helps out alot.

now looking at this picture i'm assuming the "endlink" i need is number 7

007---52325-SFY-J01---LINK, L. RR. STABILIZER-----001---2008 TL
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...ty37=1&qty38=1

gonna go out to the local acura dealership and try to get that part from them.

hopefully i don't need to buy anything else extra
Old 06-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
thanks alot for verifying with pictures! that indeed helps out alot.

now looking at this picture i'm assuming the "endlink" i need is number 7

007---52325-SFY-J01---LINK, L. RR. STABILIZER-----001---2008 TL
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...ty37=1&qty38=1

gonna go out to the local acura dealership and try to get that part from them.

hopefully i don't need to buy anything else extra
#6 and #7 are the end links, they are side specific!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Safety Car

alright so i need part #7, 25, and 31 i believe.. i have a few questions

1. is it safe to be driving the car AT ALL when having a broken end link? only my rear left is broken. i drive real careful now, but can someone tell me for sure?
2. is replacing a endlink easy or should i pay someone to do it? i have no knowledge or experience about the suspension just so you know
3. are there anymore parts that i need to buy in order to replace my broken end link on the drivers rear? looking at the picture diagram i was wondering will i need part# 4. its labeled "BUSH, RR. STABILIZER HOLDER".

i'm attending a meet next saturday on the 25th (CupCake Meet), and the last thing i want to happen is order parts #7, 25, 31 only to find out that i also need additional parts in order for it to be installed correctly...

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 06-18-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:44 AM
Senior Moderator

alright so i need part #7, 25, and 31 i believe.. i have a few questions

1. is it safe to be driving the car AT ALL when having a broken end link? only my rear left is broken. i drive real careful now, but can someone tell me for sure?
2. is replacing a endlink easy or should i pay someone to do it? i have no knowledge or experience about the suspension just so you know
3. are there anymore parts that i need to buy in order to replace my broken end link on the drivers rear? looking at the picture diagram i was wondering will i need part# 4. its labeled "BUSH, RR. STABILIZER HOLDER".

i'm attending a meet next saturday on the 25th (CupCake Meet), and the last thing i want to happen is order parts #7, 25, 31 only to find out that i also need additional parts in order for it to be installed correctly...
for the endlink you will need #7, #25 and #31. However you won't need part 4 unless you are going back to the stock bar. Your new Progress Sway Bar should have come with those bushings that are slightly larger to hold the bar properly.
The following users liked this post:
vietxquangstah (06-19-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 03:01 AM
SSM FTW

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
you should not drive your car like that! a broken endlink would not cause it to look like that, it does not hold the car up.
dont waste your money on an alignment until you get the suspension to where you want it. i would not take the car back to your installer, find a different one. the only thing i can think of why its sitting like that is because your installer did not adjust the collar on the suspension.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 AM
Safety Car

for the endlink you will need #7, #25 and #31. However you won't need part 4 unless you are going back to the stock bar. Your new Progress Sway Bar should have come with those bushings that are slightly larger to hold the bar properly.
thanks once again for helping. you don't know how much this is stressing me out, and to hear someone confirm the parts i need really makes me feel better. i was hesitating to buy the part because i was unsure if that was everything i needed.

and LUDER917 this worries me... this is how the car has been ever since the coils installed.

in this pic below you can see where it actually looks cambered out. when you stand there and look at it in person its definitely cambered. sorry if i'm not using the term camber correctly maybe i should say negative?

this is the passenger side. the passenger rear is just fine, and not sitting at a angle like the driver

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 06-19-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by luder917
you should not drive your car like that! a broken endlink would not cause it to look like that, it does not hold the car up.
dont waste your money on an alignment until you get the suspension to where you want it. i would not take the car back to your installer, find a different one. the only thing i can think of why its sitting like that is because your installer did not adjust the collar on the suspension.
well when he was doing the rear i told him not to adjust it too much because they are automatically a 1.5inch drop straight out the package and he said he ended up adjusting it slightly. he did the rear passenger FIRST and that came out good. LAST was the driver rear. as he was trying to take something off (the oem shock/strut was still in place) he broke something. he looked at it and said it was the end link. i asked him to be sure if it was a end link, maybe it was called something else and he said he was sure its a end link.

ALSO..... this might be kinda off topic but i'm gonna give it a go anyways.

i know when you drop the car, the alignment is always gonna be off. but tell me, is this normal? while driving, the wheel has to be turned to the left a bit so the car can go straight (which is normal, since i haven't got my alignment) BUT if i take my hands off the wheel the car slowly starts turning to the RIGHT ?

so alignment on my wheels are off, making me have to drive with the wheel slightly turned to the left to be able to drive straight. but when i let go my car pulls to the right and not left.

when i was riding OEM suspension my alignment was also off (never got a alignment ). i had to turn the wheel slight left to keep straight, but when i let off the steering wheel my car would pull to the left slightly. but now its going to the right? normal?

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 06-19-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:29 AM
Safety Car

However you won't need part 4 unless you are going back to the stock bar. Your new Progress Sway Bar should have come with those bushings that are slightly larger to hold the bar properly.
i don't plan on installing my progress rsb just yet. i was planning on to getting this endlink installed and hopefully this fixes this problem i'm facing. perhaps a few weeks later when i have time i'll install the RSB, but as of now my top priority is to just get my rear driver fixed.

will i still need to buy part 4? i still plan on using the stock bar until i get my coils adjusted to the right height and after i get an alignment. could be a month from now.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 AM
SSM FTW

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
my F&F type 1 were not 1.5" drop out the box. it was more like 3.5" LOL. have someone else take a look at it for you to adjust the height correctly.
when your alignment is off, it pulls to the left or the right. when you alter your suspension, everything goes out of spec. thats why you need an alignment. its probably worst for you since your left rear is so low.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
okay, your installer did not adjust your coil height. it is dumped in the rear right now because of your coils, NOT your endlink. endlinks are easy if you have a little experience, but if its your first time with any suspension work, take it to a shop. by the way, it doesnt really hurt to drive with a broken endlink. the endlinks just connect the sway bar to allow it to work. remember, some cars dont even come with rear sway bars. it just helps the handling to have a working rear sway bar. your steering wheel is not straight because your alignment is off. you need to adjust the toe setting on the alignment.

basically, this is what you need to do:
put new sway bar endlinks
raise your car 2 inches.
get an alignment

done, your car is ready to go.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
1.Get the rear end link fixed
2. Set your coilovers to your desired height
3. Drive about hundred miles (usually couple hundred b4 alignment)
4. Alignment (Must do)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Instructor

luder917 is right, F&Fv1 is like 3.5 to 4" OTB. HT specs probably set theirs a bit more conservative.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by luder917
my F&F type 1 were not 1.5" drop out the box. it was more like 3.5" LOL. have someone else take a look at it for you to adjust the height correctly.
when your alignment is off, it pulls to the left or the right. when you alter your suspension, everything goes out of spec. thats why you need an alignment. its probably worst for you since your left rear is so low.
so that might explain why my rear left is dropped so low. i'm definitely gonna take it to another friend and have him check it out for me. thanks luder!

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
okay, your installer did not adjust your coil height. it is dumped in the rear right now because of your coils, NOT your endlink. endlinks are easy if you have a little experience, but if its your first time with any suspension work, take it to a shop. by the way, it doesnt really hurt to drive with a broken endlink. the endlinks just connect the sway bar to allow it to work. remember, some cars dont even come with rear sway bars. it just helps the handling to have a working rear sway bar. your steering wheel is not straight because your alignment is off. you need to adjust the toe setting on the alignment.

basically, this is what you need to do:
put new sway bar endlinks
raise your car 2 inches.
get an alignment

done, your car is ready to go.
thank you so much paperboy. your words along with the others in this thread has reassured me so much.

i'll admit. i left to go eat when he started putting the coils on my car. he did the 2 front ones first when i wasn't there. when i got back he said he slightly adjusted the coils on the front for me. than when he was doing the rear i told him to NOT adjust the coils (i was under the assumption that the ht-spec I were automatically 1.5 out the package). i'm assuming the fact that i told him to NOT ADJUST may just be the reason why my rear left is so low!

Originally Posted by 408acura
1.Get the rear end link fixed
2. Set your coilovers to your desired height
3. Drive about hundred miles (usually couple hundred b4 alignment)
4. Alignment (Must do)
thanks 408acura. just gotta get a dealership to order this part # for me...

this is also another subject that i always read different answers about. some say get a alignment ASAP after the drop. others say ride around for a few weeks to let the coils settle than adjust to height than get an alignment.

but there's one thing in common, GET A ALIGNMENT!!! don't worry guys i'll definitely get one
Old 06-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Hope everything should work out bro. I know pics don't do justice but chrome OEM base wheels look gangsta especially on NBP.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 408acura
Hope everything should work out bro. I know pics don't do justice but chrome OEM base wheels look gangsta especially on NBP.
thanks man. hopefully i'll have the endlink purchased and installed by friday and i'll let you guys know how things went.

lol and also thanks about the wheels. i'm not into chrome wheels at all, but for some reason these oem chrome base wheels look real hot on my nbp. you're right, pics don't do justice at all. i really like the chrome oem wheels compared to the stock 07-08 wheels but i bet my chrome ones are heavy. i plan to get rid of them for something better later down the road
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 AM
06 ThugLuv

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
damnnnnn thats slammmmmed in the rear....yo idk how much acura wants for them links but i know the dealer bends people over for fun. go the O'rielys or Napa or autozone first!...I had to get a end link for the front on my 2G Tl, and autozone had it in stock. I think it was 20-30 bucks.

You cam install that part your self man...its real easy!

you can drive it like that if you have to. just dont turn aggressive. and get it fixed asap..drive like a grandma till then
Old 06-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CaliWowie
damnnnnn thats slammmmmed in the rear....yo idk how much acura wants for them links but i know the dealer bends people over for fun. go the O'rielys or Napa or autozone first!...I had to get a end link for the front on my 2G Tl, and autozone had it in stock. I think it was 20-30 bucks.

You cam install that part your self man...its real easy!

you can drive it like that if you have to. just dont turn aggressive. and get it fixed asap..drive like a grandma till then
i went to the dealership with the part # in hand and asked and they said it was about $20 bucks. they didn't have it in stock so they had to get it shipped from the warehouse and it should be in tuesday (i went in to place a order monday). total was $26.43 tax included along with the 2 different 10mm nuts needed.

its crazy cause i saw a thread about a broken end link from about 3 years ago and at the time people were saying the end links were ~$70-80 bucks and that same endlink today from the same website is only $14.

you say i can install it myself but how easy is it? i don't see a diy for installing endlinks.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
06 ThugLuv

i went to the dealership with the part # in hand and asked and they said it was about $20 bucks. they didn't have it in stock so they had to get it shipped from the warehouse and it should be in tuesday (i went in to place a order monday). total was $26.43 tax included along with the 2 different 10mm nuts needed.

its crazy cause i saw a thread about a broken end link from about 3 years ago and at the time people were saying the end links were ~$70-80 bucks and that same endlink today from the same website is only $14.

you say i can install it myself but how easy is it? i don't see a diy for installing endlinks.
Well that’s good u got it for 26..dang tho 70 bucks for that..crazy.
If u search on this site you can find a pic of it. Look for a coilover installation DIY. You need to disconnect the end links in the rear for the remove and install of the rear coils. So you can use that part. Or you can look at your other side of the sway bar and see how that end link is installed to make sure you have if facing the right direction.
Or if you can fallow this madness….
Since your slammed ur going to need two jacks. Go to the ass of your car in the center under the bumper there’s a tie down loop. Put the first jack there. Put the E-brake on. And jack it up enough to where you can slide the second jack under the car, in the front of the rear tire, on the broken end link side, and look for a 4 inch long by 1/2 inch wide rectangle. It’s maybe 1 foot in front of the rear tire, 3 inches past the side of your car. That’s where the second jack goes. Jack that up. I think removing the wheel would give you some more room to work with on the end link
Look for the end of the sway bar and put the end link thread in the hole and slap on that 10mm nut. Then look for the other hole for the other end of the link to go through. Then slap that 10mm nut on.
If you’ll notice when you get the part its two ball joints so when you go to tighten the 10mm nut, you won’t be able to get it good and tight, because the ball joint will start moving with the turn of your wrench. You notice on the base of the threads there’s a narrow flat spot. That’s for a second wrench to hold the ball joint in place while you tighten the nut down. Look for something narrow enough to fit there. I have a set of wrenches that I grinded down to make the open end and box end of the wrench narrow. (They come in handy everywhere)
I hope this helps you out.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 PM
06 ThugLuv

heres the DIY link that shows you where the endlinks go. its right after the back seat removal.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=diy+coilover
Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CaliWowie
heres the DIY link that shows you where the endlinks go. its right after the back seat removal.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=diy+coilover
thanks for your help man, i ended up going to a auto shop to get my end link installed. costed me $75 bucks . should have been less

so i got my endlink installed and went to NTB and got a 1 year unlimited alignment for ~$175. pretty much fixed my driver rear problem. now my fronts are kinda out of spec, but i plan on raising the whole car a bit more so next alignment it should be perfect.

i'll take pics of how the car currently sits now and show my alignment sheet in a bit
Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Safety Car

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
hey viet if you don't get headway by the weekend my buddy is a honda tech and is pretty knowledgeable and will be down there for the concert going on friday.

Where is the meet at sat. I have that day off but dallas is about 6 hour drive.

PM me if you want me to get you some extra help to personally look at it.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sauceja
hey viet if you don't get headway by the weekend my buddy is a honda tech and is pretty knowledgeable and will be down there for the concert going on friday.

Where is the meet at sat. I have that day off but dallas is about 6 hour drive.

PM me if you want me to get you some extra help to personally look at it.
thanks for willing to lend a hand, but i believe i'm pretty much set now. my broken endlink was a problem i needed fixed, and i got the part and had it installed today. also my rear driver was fixed after taking the car to NTB to get it aligned.

only thing i gotta do now is pretty much raise my car to my desired height and hit up the alignment one last time.

as for the meet info. here it is

Cupcake Meet 10 video > http://vimeo.com/23831395

Time
Saturday, June 25 · 5:00pm - 8:00pm

3550 Grand Ave Dallas, TX 75210 Gate #5. (Texas Museum of Automotive History. Located in "Fair Park" in Dallas)

Info
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
This June be prepare for CCMX...compliments of NOS Energy Drink
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

As many of you may know recent natural disaster in Japan has left many victims without homes, clean water, and food. The tsunami left thousands on the street. An estimated bill of $50 billion has been set for the quake relief fund. Many artists, organization, as well companies has set up charities and donation drives to pitch in whatever is possible. It's sad to see that only because of these catastrophic events will bring the people of the world together. CCMX has set the bar to donate $10,000 to aid in the American Red Cross. The recommended donation per car will be $10.

If you would like to make further donation feel free to visit American Red Cross's website. They will be in attendance at the event.

******Performances******************************** ****

Droid (Houston, Texas)

Thanh V (Dallas, Texas)

TRAFFIKjam Krew (Austin, Texas)

******Attractions********************************* *****

Team R/C Drift Machines

Automotive Artist - Daney D
http://deyscdesigns.com/

******Cruise Info***************************************

San Antonio

Austin

Oklahoma

New Orleans

Kansas
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198755506832583

Houston

Arlington
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=173171019408086

Carrollton
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=129505470461105

*********BIG SHOUT OUT TO OUR SPONSORS************

AwdTuning
Dream Cars Assocation
Jotech Motorsport
KR Motorsport
Kustomz Unlimited
Intuvi Advanced GPS Solutions
Mayday Garage
Panda Express
Sideways Autosalon
Team High Rev

Interested about sponsorship with CCM:
cupcakemeet@gmail.com

Interested in performing at CCMX:
vdaaccord06@hotmail.com

http://www.redcross.org/
http://www.cupcakemeet.com/
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Yep. Looks like you're set. Your rear camber was WAY!!! out. Looks good now though.

It's not unusual to have trouble with end-links. Many corrode or strip when being removed. Or break. In some cases a Sawz-All to hack them off and replace with new is the easiest answer.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Instructor

Good to hear everythings on track bro!!