Low tire pressure in Nitro filled tires - AcuraZine Community
AcuraZine Acura Forums Home Acura CL Forums Acura ILX Forums Acura MDX Forums Acura NSX Forums Acura RDX ForumsAcura RL ForumsAcura RSX ForumsAcura TL ForumsAcura TSX ForumsAcuraZine ZDX DiscussionAcuraZine Regional DiscussionAcuraZine Off Topic Discussion

Go Back   AcuraZine Community > AcuraZine TL Community > Third Generation TL (2004-2008) > Tires, Wheels & Suspension
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark All Read ExperienceUsed CarsVendor DirectoryGarage
Search
Welcome to AcuraZine Community

Notices

submit to reddit

Old 10-15-2010, 7:57 PM   #1
TL Jonesy
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: (0)
Low tire pressure in Nitro filled tires

I have an '08 TL that my wife and I bought a couple of months ago and I love it! BUT... Since it has been getting cold at night every morning the Low tire pressure warning light is on and read 4-5 psi low. The tires are supposedly filled with nitrogen according to the dealership. My understanding is that with nitrogen filled tires they should not lose pressure like this. I know its not a leak because the pressure goes back to normal after the tires warm up a little. Any ideas on why this is happening or if it is actually normal with nitrogen?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Acurazine!
TL Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 8:46 PM   #2
Will Y.
Registered Member
Garage is empty, add now

Points: 17,538, Level: 84 Points: 17,538, Level: 84 Points: 17,538, Level: 84
Activity: 3.5%
Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL Jonesy View Post
... Since it has been getting cold at night every morning the Low tire pressure warning light is on and read 4-5 psi low. The tires are supposedly filled with nitrogen according to the dealership.
...Any ideas on why this is happening or if it is actually normal with nitrogen?
1) Put some air in your tires when they are still cold-- at least to factory recommendations if not higher. Don't trust the gauge on the air pump, either-- use your own gauge or the TPMS.

2) Air is affected by temperatures more than pure nitrogen. Unless the dealership vacuumed out all the air from the tires before putting in nitrogen, the tires will have mostly air in them, topped off with nitrogen.
Air = 78% nitrogen, by the way, so I wouldn't pay for nitrogen/Nitrofill, etc.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
TL Jonesy
Garage is empty, add now

Threadstarter
So is it ok to mix them like that? I mean I wouldn't think it would do any harm just want to make sure. Also, the tires were brand new and put on by the dealership. I just don't understand why it is fluctuating so much if they are in fact filled with nitro.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
I hate cars
Registered Member
Garage is empty, add now

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,134 Posts
Points: 36,518, Level: 100 Points: 36,518, Level: 100 Points: 36,518, Level: 100
Activity: 7.7%
Activity: 7.7% Activity: 7.7% Activity: 7.7%
You fell for the nitrogen scam.

It makes no difference in fluctuation the way it's used in street cars. I tried it just to say I told you so and I saw the exact same fluctuation from cold to hot. Just add some air to your tires and you're good to go. Of course you can mix, as it was said, air is mostly nitrogen.
'06 TL Dynaudio182/430/110 2x ID Max15s 2x JL HD600/4, HD750/1, PS8..255/40 NT05s..H&R FSB..Progress RSB..A-spec+Konis..Stoptech 13" BBK..Redline 5w-30..Redline ATF PSF '84 GN602rwhp 620lbs tq 3,000lbs.Awaiting the heart transplant..4.5L 2,300hp in 2015.
'14 Giant Trance SX
I hate cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 4:39 PM   #5
TL Jonesy
Garage is empty, add now

Threadstarter
I didn't fallfor a scam... they were already "nitrogen filled" when I test drove the car so when we bought it they had nitrogen.
Old 10-16-2010, 8:44 PM   #6
DuoDSG
Registered Member
2004 Acura TL

DuoDSG
Points: 5,232, Level: 46 Points: 5,232, Level: 46 Points: 5,232, Level: 46
Activity: 6.5%
Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL Jonesy View Post
I didn't fallfor a scam... they were already "nitrogen filled" when I test drove the car so when we bought it they had nitrogen.
Regardless, you can just top them off at an air pump to get to the proper tire pressure. That whole thing IS a waste of money, so as long as you don't fall for it again or paid for it the first time, you're good.
DuoDSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 8:44 PM
AcuraZine
Acura Integra

Paid Advertisement

submit to reddit

Tags
acura, filled, inflation, light, low, lower, morning, night, nitrogen, pressure, presure, proper, tire, tires, warning