3M or Ventureshield-Call Me Confused

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
3M or Ventureshield-Call Me Confused

Can anyone straighten this out?

I have more than dozen installers in the area that I can find easily that have plotter/cutters and use Xpel or similar patterns. They all sell VentureShield and 3M, and even some others. Some claim VentureShield is the best, and its cheaper. Others say 3M is the best for longer term applications, despite its 5 year warranty. Others say VentureShield was bought by 3M and the products are merging. Others say the VentureShield is more optically clear, but in two years, the 3M will be better.

I have been able to confirm or deny all of the above on the internet. I cannot get a straight story.

The car is a dark gray, Polished Metal Metallic, which both VentureShield and 3M installers say will work perfectly. If it were white, they do seem to agree I should go with VentureShield, that is the only thing they kind of agree on. That and 3M is about 120 more expensive for your typical kit, bumpers, half hood (24") fenders, mirrors, headlights.

A lot seem to say the fog lights are verboten because of heat. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I don't not have any vinyl on my car (Other then headlights), I have used a lot of 3M products in the past and can vouch for their technology. They do have the best vinyl films in the industry, period. Their R&D is top of the ladder in traffic films.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
I agree with exceldetail. Ventureshield might be up there with 3M on vinyl films, but 3M is a huge company with a lot of technology on their backs. I have the 3M clear bra for about 2 years now and it's the same as it was when I first install it. I know 3M has a 5 year warranty, but some people don't even keep their cars for more than 5 years. I chose 3M because I trust them. Nothing against Ventureshield at all, I just know that 3M has been around too long for it to become a bad name in the vinyl film industry.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had both 3M and Ventureshield, gotta say I prefer 3M hands down. Ventureshield was on a NBP RDX, and 3M is currently on NBP Type S TL, Ventureshield does not appear to me to hold up as well,ie: not as durable by a long shot, marrs very easy, even with the ut-most care, like example completly saturated micro fiber with QD as well as clear bra saturated with QD, light rubbing and Ventureshield marred all up, 3M does not mar very easily at all, and I would also add that 3M appears to be alot clearer than Ventureshield, VS over time appears to be a bit chalky, just my two cents on the two products.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks for the advice
Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
3m does have a 5 year warranty.
3m is more durable
3m has bought out ventureshield for various technology.

the look is all about your preference.

for me so far the added orange peel effect of the 3m is not my thing I have it on the wife's phantom black audi. we will remove the 3m and will be installing the ventureshield and doing a full hood/fender wrap on the car in the near future.

at the shop we are currently installing a custom full fender, hood, front bumper wrap on an arctic silver 911 turbo, the clarity on the ventureshield on silver is great.

their are pros and cons of the 2.

we interchange them to the customer's preference.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Pre cut on a 535
Custom hood and bumper on a c63
Custom hood and bumper on an 10 S4
Custom hood and bumper on an 05 S4
Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You get what you pay for have used a couple different brands the 3m is the only one that lasts. Others become dull looking. Expel headlight clear is also crap. They have a good marketing dept, but product yellows and blisters do to heat of fog lamps