Transfer case fluid change - AcuraZine Community
AcuraZine Acura Forums Home Acura CL Forums Acura ILX Forums Acura MDX Forums Acura NSX Forums Acura RDX ForumsAcura RL ForumsAcura RSX ForumsAcura TL ForumsAcura TSX ForumsAcuraZine ZDX DiscussionAcuraZine Regional DiscussionAcuraZine Off Topic Discussion

Go Back   AcuraZine Community > Acura MDX Community > 1G & 2G MDX Discussion (2001-2013)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark All Read ExperienceUsed CarsVendor DirectoryGarage
Search
Welcome to AcuraZine Community

submit to reddit

Old 10-23-2008, 6:25 PM   #1
NCGB
Registered Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: (0)
Transfer case fluid change

Has anyone here changed their transfer fluid? I just picked some up at the Honda dealer (Honda gear oil) ... it takes 1 liter.... I checked the drain and fill bolts out while doing the trans. fluid change....seems pretty straight forward. The bolts are pretty close to the transmission bolts and have the same recepticle.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on this service? I'm going to do the rear diff. fluid and transfer case fluid this week-end.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Acurazine!
Old 10-23-2008, 8:52 PM   #2
FiftyFive
Senior Moderator
2011 Audi S4
My Garage

FiftyFiv3
Points: 25,424, Level: 96 Points: 25,424, Level: 96 Points: 25,424, Level: 96
Activity: 3.2%
Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2%
It may be a good idea to do a complete flush. You basically drain the TC, fill her back up, drive for a mile, drain and fill her back up. You'll notice the TC fluid will be a dark color and new fluid is red. I've seen people do this flush 3 to 4 times until the TC fluid comes out almost a clear red. I hear its worth it. Other than that it should be pretty straight forward. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2009, 2:13 PM   #3
sapedri
Garage is empty, add now

Hey NCGB, I think FiftyFive provided you incorrect infomation. You were asking about the TRANSFER CASE fluid change. He responded with a TRANMSISSION fluid change. Gear oil is NOT red, transmission fluid is. I have a 2007 MDX and a 2007 RDX. I'm looking for DIY instructions for the MDX TRANSFER case fluid change.
sapedri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 1:43 PM   #4
LaCostaRacer
Registered Member
2005 Honda Pilot
My Garage

Points: 8,593, Level: 62 Points: 8,593, Level: 62 Points: 8,593, Level: 62
Activity: 14.4%
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
^ I think the OP is referring to changing the VTM-4 fluid out of the rear differential? If so, you don't really need to flush. Even ATs don't require a flush if you use the Honda/Acura ATF consistently.

I just changed out the VTM-4 fluid in my Wife's pilot and the old fluid came out very clean (red) after 15K miles. The magnetic plug was clear of sludge as well. This was the 3rd VTM fluid change for our Pilot. I think I might extend the change interval to 20k now based on what I saw today.
- White interior LEDs and blue door LEDs / Hardwired Bel Sti Driver / Neopro Link IPod Adapter
LaCostaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 1:43 PM
AcuraZine
Acura Integra

Paid Advertisement

submit to reddit

Tags
2003, 2004, 2007, acura, bolt, case, change, changing, fluid, fluids, gear, honda, mdx, oil, transfer, transmission