Body side molding

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Jeb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body side molding

RDX owners -- for those of you who got the body side moldings -- do you think they help prevent dings? I don't particularly want them for aesthetic reasons, but if they will prevent careless people from bumping the door in the parking lot, I might consider getting them. Are they placed at the right height for most cars that would be parked next to the rdx? thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Advanced

I think they offer some protection and I like the way they look. I think they offer protection from cars but probably not a a high pick truck or SUV
Old 10-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Instructor

I have them on my white/taupe and it looks really good. It breaks the whole, otherwise boring side sheet metal into two.
About protection, it all depends on the object you are trying to protect from. The 'bulge' on the door is at different heights from car to car thus no one side molding can protect the dings from all the car doors....
Old 10-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They look to me like they are about the right height to protect against the average passenger car front door. The wrong height for a passenger car rear door, and the wrong height for most SUV/Truck. I don't know about the area you live in, but there are ALOT of SUVs and trucks in my area. The best protection is to be very picky where you park and who you park next to, if possible.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:43 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
I just put them on my RDX. It took all of about 20 minutes. I got the parts from Curry Internet Sales.

They come with 4 alcohol wipes and two "templates". The templates get taped to the car as they rest on the lower molding on the side. You then just peel off the sticky tape, lay the bottom edge of the side molding on the cardboard template and lay it on the door and press! I went over mine with a hair dryer once they were on.

They look great! We'll see if they peel off!

These are something that anyone can install themselves. Go for it!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:14 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
got them on mine, i think they help
Old 10-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Jeb
Advanced

Originally Posted by oblio98
I just put them on my RDX. It took all of about 20 minutes. I got the parts from Curry Internet Sales.

They come with 4 alcohol wipes and two "templates". The templates get taped to the car as they rest on the lower molding on the side. You then just peel off the sticky tape, lay the bottom edge of the side molding on the cardboard template and lay it on the door and press! I went over mine with a hair dryer once they were on.

They look great! We'll see if they peel off!

These are something that anyone can install themselves. Go for it!
Thanks for the tip. so not too hard to lay down evenly?
has anyone had trouble with them peeling?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Intermediate

I have a set & the box says no instructions included. Are there any other tips or written instructions available?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:11 AM
4th Gear

I'm also thinking about getting the body side moldings from Curry Acura and putting it on myself, but I've heard that the warranty on it is only for 1 year if you install it yourself.

However, on the Warranty booklet, it says that "All accessories are covered up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, depending on time of installation". The booklet states: (copied directly from 2007 RDX Warranty booklet)

Accessories Installed by an Acura Dealer After Retail Sale: This warranty begins on the date the accessory is installed on the vehicle. All accessories are covered for the longer of the following two periods:

1. The time remaining in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
or
2. one year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first

So, does this mean if I have it installed at a dealership, I get 4 years warranty on the accessory minus the time between when I bought the car and installed the accessory?

I can get the body side molding installed at a dealership for $10 more than ordering it from Curry, but will have to drive to a non-local dealership to do this, so was wondering if it would be worth the effort?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:52 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Down and Dirty Directions for Installing the Side Moldings

Originally Posted by blnemec
I have a set & the box says no instructions included. Are there any other tips or written instructions available?
Here's the deal if you want to install them yourself. You need a roll of scotch tape or masking tape.

Open the box. You'll see that there are two sets of back door moldings and two sets of front door moldings (obviously ). They are marked on the inside as Left and Right.

You will also get two cardboard "spacer" templates (one long one for the front doors and a shorter one for the rear doors). The remaining items are the 4 alcohol cleaning pads.

WASH YOUR CAR.

Start with the Drivers side. This way, the templates work with the printed info facing out (towards you). Do the front door first.

Take the scotch tape (or masking tape) and lay the long cardboard template on the door so that it rests on the lower molding. It's pretty easy to line up. Tape it on the ends and leave it on the door. Take a alcohol pad and clean the area where the molding will go.

Grab the molding for that door, peel off ALL of the sticky pads on the back of the molding completly. Kneel down to the door, tip the molding so that the lower edge is laying on the top of the cardboard spacer. Once it's in the right position, just tip it up onto the door. Eyeball it and press all around the edges. Do the same for the other 3 doors. On the passengers side, the writing will face in towards the door, so you'll have to guess at the exact spot where the molding starts, but you really can't screw that up.

What I did once all 4 pieces were on was to take a hair dryer and "lightly" go around all of the edges, heating them and pressing. That's because it was only around 60 degrees when I put mine on.

They came out great! Good Luck.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

Re body side moldings

I have just picked up my new nighthawk black RDX and had the mouldings fitted when I ordered the vehicle but as well as the plastic black buffer strips on the sides the dealer added a double grey stencil 'line' which goes around the whole vehicle except the front - I think it looks awful and did not know this was part of the body side moulding option. Have other owners had this added to their vehicles ?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by uksmen1
I have just picked up my new nighthawk black RDX and had the mouldings fitted when I ordered the vehicle but as well as the plastic black buffer strips on the sides the dealer added a double grey stencil 'line' which goes around the whole vehicle except the front - I think it looks awful and did not know this was part of the body side moulding option. Have other owners had this added to their vehicles ?
I saw on another site that a dealer or dealers, in Baltomore area were adding pinstripes. I've seen RDX's on the lots around here that have side molding, but no stencil. I'd bring it back & have them remove the stencil or pinstripe.

John
Old 11-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine doesn't have this. Take a look at the pictures posted of owner's cars with moldings...
Old 08-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Cruisin'

(Just want to give life to an old thread, instead of start over new thread)

I am planning to install 'Body Side Molding' to my 10 days old RDX. Just wondering does it worth for the money (local dealer quoted $310)?

Thanks!,
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 AM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by suneel
(Just want to give life to an old thread, instead of start over new thread)

I am planning to install 'Body Side Molding' to my 10 days old RDX. Just wondering does it worth for the money (local dealer quoted $310)?

Thanks!,
That's way too much. Dealers will try to rip you off.

Buy them from hondacuraworld.com They are easy install yourself.
Here is a link:
http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Mercha...gory_Code=ARDX

Instructions:
https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...dysidemldg.pdf
Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Cruisin'

Above mentioned price also includes installation (I think parts $215, and installation charges $80 to $90). Does the side moldings really protect RDX against everyday nicks and chips (of course larger SUV/truckes are exceptions)? or is it worth to fix nicks and chips at an auto repair center?
Old 08-08-2008, 01:10 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
I don't have a RDX, but why would you pay someone to install these. It's like paying them $80 to put on a sticker.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

I too have the color matched side molding on my RDX. I think it makes significant improvement aesthetics wise. As for usefulness, it is mounted at the highest point (width wise) on the side of the door which helps with driver error like opening the door in close proximities i.e. parking garage polls, garage walls, etc. It also seems to be at the ideal height for most probable “door bangers” at your local supermarket!

But, most of all, I love how they look!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
...But, most of all, I love how they look!
I agree.

Mine have already paid for themselves by absorbing others' swinging car doors, thereby scraping off little pieces of paint (which is easily repaired with touch-up paint).

Worth it, for aesthetics AND damage control.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you guys for your input. Yesterday I have installed them at the Dealer, all parts and labour carry a 12mo/12k warranty.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Congrats suneel. You won't regret it. I think it's one of the more useful options.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Racer

I've had side molding on my last 2 cars. Previously, I got a lot of ugly parking lot door dings and I think the side molding greatly reduces that. The molding can take a lot of abuse without showing any scars. Looks are a personal issue; I don't care a whole lot either way.