3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking in a Leased Car

Old 02-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking in a Leased Car

Does Honda charge you money for returning a car at the end of lease that you have smoked in????
Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 PM
No more Infinitis for me

I hope not.... lit one up before I left the dealer's lot
Old 02-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JPA3
I don't know if it's such a good idea to post your VIN# online in your signature. You got almost everything about yourself and your car in your sig minus your ss#
Old 02-16-2007, 02:53 PM
No more Infinitis for me

thx
Old 02-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JPA3
No smoking in my car, it loses trade-in value.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:57 PM
10th Gear

they usually do, it affects how customers consider buying the vehicle. As well as there is reconditioning fees associated with eliminating the odor from your car. I work for the dealership here in hawaii, and was smoking in my tsx (which was leased) and recently traded it in for a TL. I didn't tell them anything about smoke. Anything you do to the car as far as modifications need to be returned to factory settings before you return your car, otherwise they deduct for it.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acurajonathan
they usually do, it affects how customers consider buying the vehicle. As well as there is reconditioning fees associated with eliminating the odor from your car. I work for the dealership here in hawaii, and was smoking in my tsx (which was leased) and recently traded it in for a TL. I didn't tell them anything about smoke. Anything you do to the car as far as modifications need to be returned to factory settings before you return your car, otherwise they deduct for it.
Great info. When I went to trade in my Camry for the TL, the first thing the dealer asked me was "did you smoke in the car?"
Old 02-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Fabreeze
Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Racer

smokers pay all the time

You will lose money on the trade-in. As for leases, I personally know someone who got "penalized" when the lease was up for smoking in the vehicle. Most buyers today are non-smokers who won't even consider a vehicle that stinks of smoke (or is stained). I know I wouldn't.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:49 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smoke in it and the last few months that you have it. clean it out alot febreez open windows clean windows several times it really gets on the windows ask a window tinter. shampoo the carpets and seats and make sure there is not one ciggerette butt in there. i dont smoke in my car but i picked up a Butt on my shoe once and it smelt like i have been smoking in my car for years. so deep clean. and the last few months dont smoke. i have friends that smoke alot in there car and we did that before we sold there car and you could never tell.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

I had made a deal over the phone on an 2005 Anthracite TL 6MT w/ Navi and when I got there the car was flawless but smelled like an ashtray. The dealer said he's "never" had that happened and he smokes and wouldn't notice.

I could tell they tried to clean it out but I just don't think it ever totally gets out of the headliner and upholstery. They refunded my security deposit and I bought mine at a different dealer.........if a deal seems too good to be true it probably is.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Racer

Do you really smoke in your car?

What I mean by this... Are all your windows up and ashes all over the place?

FWIW - I've smoked in prior vehicles that still smelled new years after they were new...

1. You just need to ALWAYS ensure the smoke is not being trapped in the interior so keep a window open and exhale toward it.

2. Be conscience of the burning butt between your fingers, it helps if you're left handed and can keep the smoldering stick near the open window instead of letting the smoke waft up to the headliner.

3. NEVER EVER USE AN ASHTRAY... Following 1 & 2 above and smoke will not stay in the car long enough to really soak into the interior fabrics. HOWEVER, sealing up your windows with a bunch a spent tubes in the ashtray is like leaving pot-pourri open in the car... Only spent tubes and ashes smell worse.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Racer

The only problem with that is most hardcore smokers will probably still have a cigarette in their mouths when they step out of the vehicle to give it up.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onsknth

FWIW - I've smoked in prior vehicles that still smelled new years after they were new...

1. You just need to ALWAYS ensure the smoke is not being trapped in the interior so keep a window open and exhale toward it.

2. Be conscience of the burning butt between your fingers, it helps if you're left handed and can keep the smoldering stick near the open window instead of letting the smoke waft up to the headliner.

3. NEVER EVER USE AN ASHTRAY... Following 1 & 2 above and smoke will not stay in the car long enough to really soak into the interior fabrics. HOWEVER, sealing up your windows with a bunch a spent tubes in the ashtray is like leaving pot-pourri open in the car... Only spent tubes and ashes smell worse.

yes and the ashtray one. deff that one. ashtray is a very bad think if you are going to use anthing like that get one of those selfextunguishing ones that are the cups and never let it fill up. i dont like tossing them out the window. so if you dont toss out the window get a different type of ashtray. dont use the one that comes in the car. and keep it clean.

The only problem with that is most hardcore smokers will probably still have a cigarette in their mouths when they step out of the vehicle to give it up.
then they dont need to worry about this because they are going to loose there money and if its not worth holding off for a few then they are paying for it.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Terminex

I am not saying you do this but....

very little pisses me off more than people who smoke and throw their butts out the window. the world is NOT your ashtray. I do NOT enjoy picking up smoke butts on the bottoms of my shoes.

I have been burned (LITERALLY) by people flicking their butts from a car while i am riding my bike.

I commend everyone for trying to keep their car clean, but don't use the outside world as your ashtray. get a trash bag or something for your car if you do not want to throw them in the ashtray.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Advanced

It def lowers the value, you can always tell if someone has smoked in a car, no matter how well you clean it. When I used to smoke it was hard to pick up on it if something was cleaned, but now I can detect the smell of smoke easily. Blows me away when I see people smoking inside a car with the windows up -- I mean, are you trying to smell like crap!

I second that - don't throw your butts out the window!!! If your gonna smoke, have some balls and put the butt out in your ashtray. Littering and throwing a firey substance out the window is illegal my friends.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

3. NEVER EVER USE AN ASHTRAY... Following 1 & 2 above and smoke will not stay in the car long enough to really soak into the interior fabrics.
Typical of a smoker - the world is my ashtray - just throw it out the window!!!!

I can tell if someone is smoking a few cars away - I hate the smell that much and my car can stink like an ashtray for a while just after driving by someone who is smoking.

It will still stink.

Sorry for the rant........ in short - I am not a smoker and would never consider buying a car or a house that had previously been occupied by a smoker.

I will even walk away from a hotel that does not have a non-smoking room available and will leave if a non-smoking room smells like smoke.

Same goes for a rental car.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Racer

When I smoked, my wife started smoking too... Except her smoking disgusted the hell out of me.

Why?

There's a right way and a wrong way to smoke, especially when it comes down to extinguishing butts. My wife for example is a "masher," she mashes a cig into the ashtray to put it out, this causes the nasty/nasty/nasty smell!!!!

Instead if you smoke try this... Knock the cherry off the tube and let it die out naturally in the ashtray. Not only will you not have to scrub the tray to get it clean, but you won't have that nasty stale smoke smell lingering around.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:37 PM
No more Infinitis for me

I have smoked for a lot of years and the last 6 cars that were leases were never an issue on return. In fact, I do not even have any wear or tear. None.

I always smoke with windows down, A/C on outside air, and never use the ashtray or lighter. The butts go in an empty pack in the litter basket and get tossed as soon as I get to my destination (in the garbage). Anyone that gets in my car assumes I do not smoke in it. It's just common sense.

I take better care of a lease car than my family of non smokers takes care of their purchased ones.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:11 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by terminex
...I have been burned (LITERALLY) by people flicking their butts from a car while i am riding my bike
Sorry off topic but... as a cyclist I too have had people drop buts at my feet while we all wait at a stop light. Internally I think, "Nice, you Fvckhead !" I've always wanted to pick it up and toss it back into the car while politely saying "Excuse me, I think you dropped this". But my cycling gloves don't cover my finger tips so it's way to disgusting. I'm deterred by that and the ensuing ass-kicking I'm likely to get since cars are faster than bikes and off the bike I can't run very fast in cycling shoes

As far as the lease question goes if they say you can then that's up to you. It's not likely I'd buy it as a used car later if I could smell it though.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Racer

Tell ya'll what's worse than ciggy's out the window?

I mean really, it's not as if any roadway is going to be considered a "pristine wilderness," it's already been "trashed" what's a few butts in the grand scheme of things?
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Sorry off topic but... as a cyclist I too have had people drop buts at my feet while we all wait at a stop light. Internally I think, "Nice, you Fvckhead !" I've always wanted to pick it up and toss it back into the car while politely saying "Excuse me, I think you dropped this". But my cycling gloves don't cover my finger tips so it's way to disgusting. I'm deterred by that and the ensuing ass-kicking I'm likely to get since cars are faster than bikes and off the bike I can't run very fast in cycling shoes

As far as the lease question goes if they say you can then that's up to you. It's not likely I'd buy it as a used car later if I could smell it though.

The TL didnt come with an ashtray therefore I do not smoke in it. Ever. You could pee in my old vehicle And I would hardly care.

Smoking is gay anyhow but hard to quit.
Pro

You can smoke a leased car, but you shouldn't smoke in it!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by proxus
Does Honda charge you money for returning a car at the end of lease that you have smoked in????
Here's an idea: read the lease.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

For everybody that thinks holding it out the window or being really careful with it will eliminate the smell, it doesn't. People can smell smoked-in cars - as well as smokers - a mile away.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Smokers have a dulled sense of smell when it comes to cigarette smoke. If you smoke smoking several months beforehand and use Fabreeze you may think it smells fine, but I guarantee an non-smoker will think it smells like an ashtray still.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:35 PM
No more Infinitis for me

if ya'll are so sensitive to smoke, how can you pinpoint where it is coming from in the great outdoors?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Frrrrrrrrrrrr-unkus

Originally Posted by michael.crissie
For everybody that thinks holding it out the window or being really careful with it will eliminate the smell, it doesn't. People can smell smoked-in cars - as well as smokers - a mile away.
I smell smokers all the time in a nearby car when I am stopped at a light...

If your that concerned about the smell, buck up and have the car detailed a week or 2 before you return it. They should be able to get rid of the smell...
Old 02-18-2007, 08:17 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
The TL I bought from someone else had smoked in it. pissed the living hell out of me because I am a non smoker and to get that car near extremely clean I had to pull out the seats and random parts to get really deep into the car and vac. up everything. I had the car completed in 2 weeks of really hard scrubbing and cleaning to get that interior spotless.
I know you don't give a shit but if you got a used car off of a lease and your a non smoker I think you would be pretty pissed to. Think twice about the next owner and how hard he's work to "TRY" to enjoy his new car...
Old 02-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
The TL I bought from someone else had smoked in it. pissed the living hell out of me because I am a non smoker and to get that car near extremely clean I had to pull out the seats and random parts to get really deep into the car and vac. up everything. I had the car completed in 2 weeks of really hard scrubbing and cleaning to get that interior spotless.
I know you don't give a shit but if you got a used car off of a lease and your a non smoker I think you would be pretty pissed to. Think twice about the next owner and how hard he's work to "TRY" to enjoy his new car...
Why didnt you wait to buy a used TL that was a non smoker car?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:44 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I had a somewhat of a good price I couldnt pass up.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Change out the cabin Air Filter. and yes, smokers will pay and in more ways than one.