My Custom Audio Install (56K Think Twice)

Old 05-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Custom Audio Install (56K Think Twice)

I can now see why most people say FINALLY whenever they complete upgrade of their TL's audio system. FINALLY, my system is done!

Here's my setup...

- Focal 165A1 6.5" Components up front
- Focal 165CA1 6.5" Coaxial in the rear
- Focal 100CA1 Center channel
- JL Audio 12W6V2 Subwoofer
- Custom Fiberglass / MDF subwoofer enclosure
- JL Audio e6450 6 Channel Amp
- JL Audio e1400D mono Subwoofer Amp
- ~200 feet of Stinger / Rockford Fosgate Audio Cable
- JL Audio Dual Amplifier Connection Kit
- Stinger RCA Audio and Video cables
- Soundgate AUX3 Adapter
- Soundgate iPod Auxiliary Audio and Video Input Adapter
- Lots of Radio Shack adapters of various types
- Navone Engineering NE-774V 4 channel Line converter and NE-7V 2-channel line Converter
- Dom's TVandNav2go PNP Converter
- iPod Video 30GB feeding MP3s, movies, music videos, and podcasts
- Smoked Plexiglass
- Select Products carpet
- Xtralights 6" LED with control lights
- Dynamat Extreme Bulk Pack

Left to do...

- Backup camera install
- Daytime Running Light module install
- Wash and Wax

I was trying to wait until my blue LED trunk light arrived to really add a nice trunk effect But, I couldn't wait. I'll post pics when I receive it. The LEDs I have in my amp rack are bright. But, because they are behind the smoked plexi, they lose some of their intensity.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out, offered advice, posted their own DIYs and pics, posted wiring diagrams, installation and removal procedures, responded to my numerous PMs, Black_05_TL_6SP especially for walking me through fabrication of my fiberglass enclosure, Scott P for his recommendation on going with the 12" sub rather for my enclosure rather than the 10", King of Pain for the inspiration, kyle-wdp for some good advice, everyone who responed to my 'Calling All TL DIY Installers' thread, yourpoison for buying my other 100CA1, and DeathtoToasters for some of the most comprehensive info on how to do the upgrade, and how to take things apart.

My audio system sounds really great now. The Focal / JL combination sounds absolutely phenomenal. Playing movies in the car is better than being in a movie theater.

Now for the pics of my install...

Old 05-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Oh, forgot to add that I swapped the OEM battery for an Optima Yellow Top D35 battery.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro

looks bad ass!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I just relocated the LED lights to sit above the amps and it looks much better and brighter. I dont' think I'll be needing an LED trunk light. If so, maybe one that isn't very bright. The LEDs I have now light up pretty brightly behind the smoked plexiglass.

Here are the pics...

Old 05-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by VtecMW
I can now see why most people say FINALLY whenever they complete upgrade of their TL's audio system. FINALLY, my system is done!

Here's my setup...

- Focal 165A1 6.5" Components up front
- Focal 165CA1 6.5" Coaxial in the rear
- Focal 100CA1 Center channel
- JL Audio 12W6V2 Subwoofer
- Custom Fiberglass / MDF subwoofer enclosure
- JL Audio e6450 6 Channel Amp
- JL Audio e1400D mono Subwoofer Amp
- ~200 feet of Stinger / Rockford Fosgate Audio Cable
- JL Audio Dual Amplifier Connection Kit
- Stinger RCA Audio and Video cables
- Soundgate AUX3 Adapter
- Soundgate iPod Auxiliary Audio and Video Input Adapter
- Lots of Radio Shack adapters of various types
- Navone Engineering NE-774V 4 channel Line converter and NE-7V 2-channel line Converter
- Dom's TVandNav2go PNP Converter
- iPod Video 30GB feeding MP3s, movies, music videos, and podcasts
- Smoked Plexiglass
- Select Products carpet
- Xtralights 6" LED with control lights
- Dynamat Extreme Bulk Pack
Looks good man. I'm was planning to use the same speakers (but some things say that my '06 TL uses 6x9's in the rear?), sub, and amps!

Could you post how much you paid for each thing or at least the ALL speakers, sub, amps, LED's, Dynamat, and install? Plus, could you show me another pic of the I-pod holder you have? I'm trying to decide if I want to post my I-pod up next to my gear shifter like you have it. Thanks!

Let me know how it all sounds and if you'd recommend Focal!
Old 05-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

You certainly used quite a bit of Dynamat... Did you have a lot left over or did you use the vast majority of the bulk pack?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by AcurasGhost
Looks good man. I'm was planning to use the same speakers (but some things say that my '06 TL uses 6x9's in the rear?), sub, and amps!

Could you post how much you paid for each thing or at least the ALL speakers, sub, amps, LED's, Dynamat, and install? Plus, could you show me another pic of the I-pod holder you have? I'm trying to decide if I want to post my I-pod up next to my gear shifter like you have it. Thanks!

Let me know how it all sounds and if you'd recommend Focal!
I don't know if the rear speaker shelf changed for the '06.

Price list...

Focal 165A1 - $194.99 (12Vkings eBay)
Focal 165CA1- $143.99 (12V kings)
Focal 100CA1- 119.99 (woofersetc.com)
JL 12W6V2 - $348.99 (woofersetc.com. Had to muscle them for a price match)
JL e6450 - $324.99 (woofersetc.com)
JL e1400D - $279.99 (woofersetc.com)
JL Amp Install Kit XCS2-2 - $90 (eBay)
Soundgate iPod Video Adapter - $38.99 (soundate.com)
Dom's PNP Navi Converter - $240 shipped (tvandnav2go.com)
Dynamat - $148.99 (12vkings)
Install - Blood, sweat and will! I did it myself.

I love the Focal speakers. The tweeters reproduce the highs so crisp that they can pierce your ear drums, especially for songs with horns. But, they're great. They also have great bass for mid-range speakers.

Here's another pic of my ProClip...

Originally Posted by Hatch100
You certainly used quite a bit of Dynamat... Did you have a lot left over or did you use the vast majority of the bulk pack?
I used all of the Dynamat. I also have it under the rear seat and in the rear deck.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
how much watts are you giving those speakers per channel ?? r they underpowerd r they loud enough. i have an infinity 6channel amp wich gives me 54watts per channel and i cant decide on the speakers.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
how much watts are you giving those speakers per channel ?? r they underpowerd r they loud enough. i have an infinity 6channel amp wich gives me 54watts per channel and i cant decide on the speakers.
Each speaker is getting ~65 watts per channel. They are very loud. I had to turn the input sensitivity down because I was afraid that I would ruin my hearing.

They don't distort, even with the input sensitivity turned up past what I think is reasonable listening decibels. So, there is plenty of power being fed.

I don't see any reason why your Infiniti couldn't push a similar setup. The e6450 is rated at 45W x 6 Stereo
Old 05-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Racer

hi, i had a question for ya, on your subwoofer, it doesn't seem like you made the full unclosure, however, you just made a face with the MDF and carpeted and just mounted it.... is that what you did or did you make a full box. and if it was just mounted on it, how does it sound? still good? i was planning to do it my self in my 2nd gen tl and i'm cutting the board as we speak.

nice setup.... how long did it take ya?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
VtecMW,

That looks freakin awsome !!! Sounds freakin awsome too I bet. I like those LED lights. It's got me thinking to add some to my system. All those wires and stuff spread out all over the garage brings back memories of my install. All worth it in the end.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VtecMW,

Nice job on the install, although I'd probably think about re-finishing the amp rack I'm just a perfectionist, and when I'm not, the wifey is there to nitpick, especially about this sort of thing). I'm planning on purchasing an '04 TL or greater this Christmas, and doing a similar setup.

BTW, if you're not going for a Sound Power Level (SPL) install, then I'd look up how to set up the input sensitivity on your amps the right way, or have it done by a good shop. It should be done so that neither your head unit nor your amp is being fed a signal that causes it to clip (input voltages to the amps never cause the amp's output to "top out" at the max voltage of it's rails, causing harsh highs and over-working the amp needlessly.) Input sensitivity is not a volume setting.

Thanks for all the pics, I'm sure I'll be back here in a few months to pick your brain, if you don't mind
Old 05-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by Blueyce28
hi, i had a question for ya, on your subwoofer, it doesn't seem like you made the full unclosure, however, you just made a face with the MDF and carpeted and just mounted it.... is that what you did or did you make a full box. and if it was just mounted on it, how does it sound? still good? i was planning to do it my self in my 2nd gen tl and i'm cutting the board as we speak.

nice setup.... how long did it take ya?
I did make a full enclosure. I made a fiberglass mold of the left trunk well. At the time, I didn't know how to make a flat face. I thought I would have to use some MDF rods and some polyester fabric and just apply the resin. It was Black_05_TL_6SP who suggested the MDF face. Well, he walked me through the entire thing.

Once I made the face, I used silicon to attach the fiberglass mold to the MDF face. I then took the polyester fabric, stretched it around the back of the mold around to the front of the MDF face. I then applied resin. Then, I applied some more fiberglass mat to seal it up (see pic)

I then leak tested it with water and applied fibeglass mat anywhere that I spotted a leak. After it was all done, I applied the carpet. The carpet really only covers the MDF. So, if I were to pull my enclosure out, you'd see the fiberglass backing.

As far as how the sub sounds, it's awesome. The JL 12W6 drops some lovely bass notes, whether the volume is turned down or up. I am so impresesed with the subwoofer output. It's just very clean, accurate bass. When I get out of the car, I can hear the sub a little. But, I think I have so much dynamat in the car that very little of the sub notes escape. I really think that I picked the right sub for my setup.

I put polyfill (pillow stuffing) in the enclosure, because the enclosure is only about .91 cu. ft., which is under what's recommended for the W6. I have Scott P to thank for that, because if it weren't for him, I would have gone with a 10"

Hope that answers your questions.

Originally Posted by King of Pain
That looks freakin awsome !!! Sounds freakin awsome too I bet. I like those LED lights. It's got me thinking to add some to my system. All those wires and stuff spread out all over the garage brings back memories of my install. All worth it in the end.
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm really happy with the outcome. The system really sounds great. My new slogan is "If you love music you'll love my car!"

You're right. It's all worth it in the end!

Originally Posted by Hi There

Nice job on the install, although I'd probably think about re-finishing the amp rack I'm just a perfectionist, and when I'm not, the wifey is there to nitpick, especially about this sort of thing).

BTW, if you're not going for a Sound Power Level (SPL) install, then I'd look up how to set up the input sensitivity on your amps the right way, or have it done by a good shop. It should be done so that neither your head unit nor your amp is being fed a signal that causes it to clip (input voltages to the amps never cause the amp's output to "top out" at the max voltage of it's rails, causing harsh highs and over-working the amp needlessly.) Input sensitivity is not a volume setting.

Thanks. I am going to refinish the amp rack (beauty panel) some time over the summer. There are a few things about it that I'd like to clean up. But, it didn't come out too bad for my first attempt.

I will definitely take your advice and take my amps to be tuned correctly. I think I got it down now. But, I just want to have it looked over just to be sure.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks very nice, I wish I was brave enough to start working on another enclosure like that, I completely botched by first attempt. I wish someone could just make a mold of there mold and sell it on here!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:44 PM
9th Gear

sick system bro. the TL looks great!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
great system!! very clean!! my question is what do you do w/ the extra channel on the jl e4650?? If I got this right, you use one for the center, two for the front doors, and two for the rear doors. What do you use the other channel for if you have a seperate sub amp?

If you go 4 channel then you can't amplify the center channel. If you go 5 channel, then the 5th channel is usually a subwoofer setting, so that won't work. I'm guessing you use the 6 channel and either bridge two channels for one speaker or leave one open?!?

sorry kinda a noob ?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

You're right about the limitations of the 4 and 5 channel amps in the TL. Channel 6 on my amp is left open.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 AM
Intermediate

Interesting Set up, I like you sub enclosure "idea"

Stealth Mode

Show Mode
Old 07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JMLAudio

Stealth Mode

Show Mode

damn, that's hot!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:58 AM
321 whp SAE

Hot!!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

I don't know what it sounds like but here is ...

Originally Posted by JMLAudio

Stealth Mode

Show Mode

Hey bro I don't know what your system sounds like but in the looks department I give you an A+

I am thinking about redoing my trunk like yours it looks like you still have a full use of your trunk ?

where did you bet the side molds and the amp case ? do you have anymore photos so I could look them over with my sound man and see if this would look good in my 07 type s ? what are you pushing in watts? I have a setup right now that I am pushing around 2800-3200watts but I am thinking on making it an even 4000watts maybe latter this yr all depends on my next show I am going to latter this mo.

Chongbo

P.S. Yours looks awsome bro good job you done there
Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chongbo
Hey bro I don't know what your system sounds like but in the looks department I give you an A+

I am thinking about redoing my trunk like yours it looks like you still have a full use of your trunk ?

where did you bet the side molds and the amp case ? do you have anymore photos so I could look them over with my sound man and see if this would look good in my 07 type s ? what are you pushing in watts? I have a setup right now that I am pushing around 2800-3200watts but I am thinking on making it an even 4000watts maybe latter this yr all depends on my next show I am going to latter this mo.

Chongbo

P.S. Yours looks awsome bro good job you done there
He's a professional installer... www.jmlaudio.com. BTW the amps used are Zapco's (I believe).
Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

This system was designed and fabricated Joshua Landau, Garrett Beach, and Adam Stein from JML Audio in St. Louis. All three of them are nationally ranked as One of the Top 100 Installers in the United States by Mobile Electronic Magazine out of an estimated 60,000 technicians! This system was also featured in Mobile Electronic Magazine in january 2006 shortly after it was completed. The majority of the build pictures are available for viewing here. http://www.jmlaudio.com/acura.htm any further question you may call our facility directly @ 314-469-8983
Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 PM
4th Gear

While it's not the best solution, I've found that if you spray paint (or at least get rid of the straight wood color) the inside of your amp rack before you mount your equipment it is much less noticable to see the slight imperfections as Hi There mentioned. No pro here, just throwing it out. Other than that looks great.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

JML does AWESOME work and with Zapco power and J tuning...I bet that system rocks