Loud noise when turning right

Old 01-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loud noise when turning right

Hey guys,

I'm having a real problem with our TL. It seems that this problem only arises when the temperature outside is below -10C. For some reason when making a right turn and accelerating through the turn, I get an extremely loud noise. It's 100% noticeable, even when the music is on, so you can imagine how loud it is. It makes almost like a grinding noise.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I have an appointment with the dealer monday morning, but I looked at the forecast and it's supposed to only go to -5C on monday, and tomorrow (friday) is going to be one of the coldest days of the year. What I plan on doing is going to the dealership tomorrow for a road test so that they can understand the issues, and then bring the car back on monday and leave it with them for a few days to fix the problem.

Let me know what you guys think, and please let me know if anyone else on this forum has experienced the problem, so I can suggest to them what to look at when fixing it.

Thanks guys..
Old 01-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2004 (3rd-gen) TL, but it only occurs at slow speeds (and turning left). The dealer guessed it could be the power steering pump or something related.

I'd have yours checked - leave it overnight so they can test the car before it's warmed up.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:49 AM
2003 SSM TLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just plan your route so that you only have to make left turns......ha ha J/K

I would venture that it is power steering related as lindros2 suggested.

Post back after your dealer visit so we know what you find out.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Pro

Interesting, your cars are too new, to have any CV joint issues this early. If you find an open parking lot, and just go around in circles, at a moderate slow speed, with the wheel fully turn to the left and then to the right, if you hear this noise, then it could be your CV (constant velocity) joint.

Our cars being front wheel drive axles, have two CV joints, one on either end of the axle. These allow for a smooth transfer of power at an angle. The inner CV joint slides in and out so the axle can increase and decease in length when the car goes over bumps.

The outer CV joint allows about 45 degrees rotation so the front wheels can turn to go around corners. CV boots protect the CV joints. They keep dirt and grit out of the joint and keep the grease that lubricates the joint from flinging out. Maybe it has been ruptured. Go check it out.

Let us know how things go!
Old 01-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
well first off jeff a little more info may help us. where is the noise coming from? front, rear. what side of the car? what does the nose sound like? grinding? slipping belt, something rubbing? is there snow built up in one of the wheel wells causing the tire to rubb when turned that direction?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

well see it's interesting because I did have the power steering pump already replaced once on this car due to there being a constant whining noise when turning the wheeel.

I can't really tell where the noise is coming from, but it sounds like from behind the dashboard...somewhere right around the firewall...I think you guys may be right...I will mention to them that I already replaced the power steering pump, and will have them look at it again.

Thanks for your help guys..

with the extra info I provided...anyone else have any idea???

Bottom line, I ain't too happy with the overall quality of this car. Not only am I having this fixed, but I think my tranny is just about done too...it constantly slips when shifting from 3rd-4th gear...right before shifting, the RPM's shoot up an extra 600-1k RPM...which means the gear is toast. Stupid third gear clutch pack.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Check the CV boot, turn the wheel all the way and you should see it even with the wheel on. if you see any grease or dirt or something unusual, explore more. I changed my own boot because replacing the drive shaft was like 250 or so, so i decded to change the Boot itself and the CV joint, filled it up with wheel grease, got a boot clamp and clamping tool from pepboys and saved $100's. It was fun too!
Old 01-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sc354
well see it's interesting because I did have the power steering pump already replaced once on this car due to there being a constant whining noise when turning the wheeel.

I can't really tell where the noise is coming from, but it sounds like from behind the dashboard...somewhere right around the firewall...I think you guys may be right...I will mention to them that I already replaced the power steering pump, and will have them look at it again.

Thanks for your help guys..

with the extra info I provided...anyone else have any idea???

Bottom line, I ain't too happy with the overall quality of this car. Not only am I having this fixed, but I think my tranny is just about done too...it constantly slips when shifting from 3rd-4th gear...right before shifting, the RPM's shoot up an extra 600-1k RPM...which means the gear is toast. Stupid third gear clutch pack.
dont get frustrated jeff. its only a car (they all have isues)
is it a grinding , whining noise? popping? what kind of noise is it?does it only happen when the car is in motion?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

only happens when you are making a right turn, and as you're going through the turn, you accelerate a little bit through it, and that's when you hear the noise. as soon as you let off on the throttle, the noise goes away...i have done extensive testing, and again...it's only when the wheel is turned. I did notice though that it started to do it sometimes when going left, which leads me to believe it's the damn power steering pump again.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear

Noise when turning

Hi...

I am having the same problem with my 03' TL. I am noticing it when it's really cold and when I am making a left turn. Can you please let me know as to what you had to do in order to get it fixed? Was it the CV joints? or anything to do with the power steering.

Thanks....

Marlon Perera
mperera115@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by sc354
Hey guys,

I'm having a real problem with our TL. It seems that this problem only arises when the temperature outside is below -10C. For some reason when making a right turn and accelerating through the turn, I get an extremely loud noise. It's 100% noticeable, even when the music is on, so you can imagine how loud it is. It makes almost like a grinding noise.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I have an appointment with the dealer monday morning, but I looked at the forecast and it's supposed to only go to -5C on monday, and tomorrow (friday) is going to be one of the coldest days of the year. What I plan on doing is going to the dealership tomorrow for a road test so that they can understand the issues, and then bring the car back on monday and leave it with them for a few days to fix the problem.

Let me know what you guys think, and please let me know if anyone else on this forum has experienced the problem, so I can suggest to them what to look at when fixing it.

Thanks guys..
Old 03-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Intermediate

noise when turning left

my car started doing this noise i think you are describing. when i turn left when the car is cold it makes a whirring noise almost like an electric motor runnin, but louder. it sounds like its coming somewhere under the passenger side dashboard. no one has an answer yet? it's definately not a cv joint, because i've stopped the car quickly and it was still whirring even with the wheel straight. insights on the power steering pump?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like power steering pump is a about to go. check for leaks around that area....
Old 11-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

I've noticed the same thing on my 04 TL. It happens in the morning or when my car has been sitting 8 hours or more. I get in and here a wine/grind noise. When I turn to the steering wheel the sound gets louder. Will power steering fluid fix it? Once I'm driving for about 5-10 miles the sound goes away.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by antoinel
I've noticed the same thing on my 04 TL. It happens in the morning or when my car has been sitting 8 hours or more. I get in and here a wine/grind noise. When I turn to the steering wheel the sound gets louder. Will power steering fluid fix it? Once I'm driving for about 5-10 miles the sound goes away.
Not if its not low or bad
Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Cruisin'

I have an 04 TL with the SAME EXACT problem, word for word.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

I think special-ed is right. I checked the levels on the fluid and it looks good. I think the pump is bad. I'm going to leave at the mechanic overnight so they can check very early in the morning. Any one know the average costs (labor + parts) for replacing the power steering pump?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
I like to whistle in my

This is me, word for word. Kinda...no, it is embarassing every morning. I posted in another thread in the 3G section but anyone know how much it might cost to fix this?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
10th Gear

Exclamation Possible easy fix...

My 05 TL is doing the same thing... I found a service bulletin on it and it says try replacing the o-ring for the power steering pump inlet joint. The part from my dealer is $1.80 and sounds like a better first option over the entire pump.

I am going to try this tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes.

Here's the link to the service bulletin:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-060.pdf
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 AM
B A N N E D

outer left cv joint
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

I'm going to try it.

Originally Posted by wes157
My 05 TL is doing the same thing... I found a service bulletin on it and it says try replacing the o-ring for the power steering pump inlet joint. The part from my dealer is $1.80 and sounds like a better first option over the entire pump.

Great information! I'm mechanical enough to pull this off. I'm going to try it next week and let you know if it corrects the problem. That PDF describes the exact symptoms I'm having.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:52 AM
10th Gear

It seems to have worked! Unfortunately (?) since I am in Florida it hasn't been very cold, but we're should have a front move in Monday, so I'll let you know if it worked for sure.

I did it myself it took about 20 minutes and was a fairly easy repair.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
10th Gear

Exclamation Yeah!

Ok it got down to 39 Tuesday morning and NO NOISE!!!

It seems like replacing the o-ring took care of the problem for me. Hopefully this can save everyone some $$$ by not needing to replace the power steering pump. Good luck
Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

Ok it got down to 39 Tuesday morning and NO NOISE!!!

It seems like replacing the o-ring took care of the problem for me. Hopefully this can save everyone some $$$ by not needing to replace the power steering pump. Good luck

How did you get to the screw? I tried doing it tonight but none of my tools would allow me to unscrew the bolt without hitting the belt or the side of the engine. Any info you have on what tool you used would help out a lot! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM
10th Gear

I used a 10mm stub wrench. It was a tight squeeze but it wasn't horrible to get to. I loosened it up with the wrench and then just did it by hand. It was a little easier over fighting with the wrench for every turn. Putting it back in I did as much as I could by hand then tightened it up with the wrench
Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up Fixed!!!

I used a 10mm stub wrench. It was a tight squeeze but it wasn't horrible to get to. I loosened it up with the wrench and then just did it by hand. It was a little easier over fighting with the wrench for every turn. Putting it back in I did as much as I could by hand then tightened it up with the wrench
Thanks, I found one and I did the change in 15 minutes. Got up this morning with no problems. NO grinding, No weird noises. Thanks everyone for all the help and input!!! Total job cost me under $20 including the o-ring, acura power steering fluid, and the 10mm wrench.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
10th Gear

I was having the same problem with my '05 TL. Added some power steering fluid and whine disappeared. Took it to the dealer to make sure there were no other problems. Everything checked out OK and they replaced the o-ring per the service bulletin for free.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:31 PM
UB6IB9

Is the service bulletin good for 2000 TL models?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:09 AM
2nd Gear

access to service bulletin

hey....this service bulletin looks pretty cool. where did you find it? is it available for anyone? also are there other repair instructions in the bulletin? like brakes...

thanks
Old 11-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I know this is an old post but must add I'm having the same problem. Took it to Acura and they wanted to charge me $700. i ended up leaving...
I'm new to this forum and it is by far the greatest one out there. I've been on this site for two days straight and have learned more then I've ever imagine about our TLs. Thanks for all the great questions and answers guys. Sorta sucks that the site limits you for 2 weeks.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

I've experienced this problem twice with my 2004 TL (6MT). When starting out from a dead stop (slight acceleration) and turning right or left, there is a grinding noise from the right side of the car. Pressing in the clutch causes the noise to go away. I don't hear this noise under slight acceleration from a dead stop going straight.

The first time, the dealer replaced two rings in the power steering pump and the problem went away. 18 months later the problem came back. This time, the dealer was convinced it was the transmission. I haven't skipped routine maintenance so I was a worried to hear that. They replaced the transmission fluid and the problem went away.

I'm not sure if I'm hearing two different noise sources with similar sounds, but I don't like hearing that the transmission has problems (72k miles). The dealer is suggesting changing the transmission fluid every 20k miles just in case.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow, this is my first time posting. I've taken information for this site before and put it to some good use. The last bit of information was how to replace my rear view mirror. You guys saved me 100's on that one. Anywho, just the other day I heard a weird ticking (metal on metal) sound coming from the right side of my car as I began to accelerate through my street. After I reached 20+MPH it seemed to go away. Because it sounded to be a rotating sound I'm wondering if its my CV joint. Does anyone have any ideas? I have a 2002 TL-Type S with 126,000 miles and counting. I hope its nothing serious because I just paid the dealer 5 months ago for the 100,000 mile check and replaced my motor mounts. That was nothing cheap. Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 03:43 AM
disability space parker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for this post and the service bulletin.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

Smile Power steering noise 2004 tl

I also have the noise in the power steering. First check power steering fluid level, only use Honda Acura fluid. Check I did that! My car has 19" wheels with springs and camber kit. I think some of the problem came from running the power steering fluid low and some from larger wider wheels. I think I need a new pump but it is not hurting anything other than my ears,(turn up the music)! Or spend the money!good luck I CAN"T HEAR YOU MY RADIO IS TO LOUD.
PS. The TL is rear wheel drive no CV joints
Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
if you were low on PS fluid,, it has leaked somewhere!!!!

often the rack seals fail and its all downhill from there- must replace rack, or pump may fail- often from not having fluid changed,,
dealer doesnt suggest it enough or customers dont do it
Look at the ends of the rack, pull back the rubber boot if its still intact- the fluid tends to eat the boots

you can try a PS fluid flush- easy DIY and see if that restores quiet and function
I would do it twice to push crud out,,
Call seafoam and ask about using it in ps as a preflush agent before pump or rack replacement

A bad PS pump will squeel like a pig when you apply load- like turning the wheel near full lock at low speed- u turn in street
careful with the bigger tires and drop its not hitting anything with the tires

are you running wider than 225 tires?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

this is gen2, you make get more help in gen3 with your 04
Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Insightstyle
I also have the noise in the power steering. First check power steering fluid level, only use Honda Acura fluid. Check I did that! My car has 19" wheels with springs and camber kit. I think some of the problem came from running the power steering fluid low and some from larger wider wheels. I think I need a new pump but it is not hurting anything other than my ears,(turn up the music)! Or spend the money!good luck I CAN"T HEAR YOU MY RADIO IS TO LOUD.
PS the TL is Front Wheel Drive and does have CV joints.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Team Owner

I was trying to figure out if there was a gen3 mod to rear wheel drive!!, but what do I know- this is gen2

like track racing original mini coopers-- with an actual rwd conversion!,,
makes them have a setup like a Sprite and driver sits in the rear seat for balance
Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Insight- have you been in for the ps hose recall?- and the known oring problem at pump
call acura care 1-800-382 2238x5 with VIN
ask if any open recalls (gen3 has 4-5) and get them done
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
6th Gear

it`s definitly the power steering pump i have the same problem and u can hear the noice when u start the car on cold weather,but after driving around for like 10 min the noice is completly gone.
My mecanic sad that is bearing inside the pump so i guess we need to change the powre steering pump,i`m having an apointment on monday so i`ll let u know after if something change
Old 11-05-2010, 01:00 AM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by Insightstyle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud noise when turning right