3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the door lock beep go any louder?

Old 04-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the door lock beep go any louder?

The TL's beep when locking the doors is so low - I have a loaner TSX today and it is much louder. Can the volume be adjusted on the TL?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Advanced

I was thinking the same thing.... sometimes i have to press it twice just to make sure its locked
Old 04-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Received 1,000 Likes on 571 Posts
No way to adjust volume. Someone suggested rewiring to horn. Maybe too loud then?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

The TL doesn't come with an alarm, only with an Anti-Theft device and keyless entry... therefore, if you want a louder beep you'd need to install a true alarm system. The beep you're hearing is not coming from a speaker like an alarm would, which is why it's so low.....
Old 04-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Instructor

No Alarm? I set it with the windows open, then my wife unlocked and opened the door and the horn went off.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Funny, but I really like the muted beep. Much better than the annoyingly loud beep of every other car that I have owned.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Team Anthracite Member

The funny thing is I just stepped up from my '94 crap which was back in the day where you had to lock and unlock using a key - and here I am complaining about the loudness of my beep! Boy, did I turn into a snob quick!!

Originally Posted by Tristero
Funny, but I really like the muted beep. Much better than the annoyingly loud beep of every other car that I have owned.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:21 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by DaveK
No Alarm? I set it with the windows open, then my wife unlocked and opened the door and the horn went off.

The system is not considered an alarm because it does not have shock sensors for the body or the windows. If the car is locked with the remote, but unlocked by hand, the horn will blow, but no alarm whine will sound. So, our system does part of the job that an alarm does, but just with a different sound to alert you to trouble.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:22 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by TBone2004
The funny thing is I just stepped up from my '94 crap which was back in the day where you had to lock and unlock using a key - and here I am complaining about the loudness of my beep! Boy, did I turn into a snob quick!!
I came from a 94 Camry too so I know what you're talking about. How quickly we become adjusted to conveniences and comforts...
Old 04-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like a muted beep, too, but I agree the TL beep is TOO soft. Hard to hear in some environments. My '01 CL had a similar beep but it was somewhat louder and I never had to question whether I'd heard it or not.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Yea, felt kinda spoiled complaining about the memory seat problem too - cuz befo' my memory seat wuz just me remembering where I last had it set!

Originally Posted by Lore
I came from a 94 Camry too so I know what you're talking about. How quickly we become adjusted to conveniences and comforts...
Old 04-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tristero
I agree... has more of a high-tech sound to it.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The speaker for the TL lock reminder is located in the front drivers fender, towards the firewall, and above the fender liner.

That is why it is so muted, it has to get through the metal fender or the plastic liner.

If you are at the back of the car, or on the passenger side, it is even harder to hear as you are further away from the speaker.

I saw it when I made the LED side markers blink.

You could make it louder by replacing it with some other 12V signaling device.
The following users liked this post:
Brooks Hoy (09-23-2015)
Old 04-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro

i like the beep better than the horn...maybe you just have to clean your ears TBONE...jk bro...IMO, it's pretty audible even in a noisy area. i know that you can turn it off but making it louder? ummm i dunno....
Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Advanced

I relocated the beeper from behind the fender liner to just behind the front bumper cover. A simple procedure that took less than an hour. I had planned on replacing the beeper with a soft chirp horn but there wasn't enough juice to trigger a relay. The relocated beeper now beeps just at the right volume; not too soft and not too loud.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Advanced

My old 01 TL beeped, but it was louder. I would use it in a parking lot or garage if I was too stupid to remember where I parked. What will I do now???
Old 04-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Team SSM

Muted beep is alright, Just hate it when I ask myself "Did I lock the car" so I go back and make sure, otherwise if I remember hearing a loud horn I'll be more likely to remember.

Oh also these dam key fobs Locking/unlocking distance is horrible, I have to get pretty close.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Team Anthracite Member

What? :lol2:

There is a TSB on it - QTIP!!

Originally Posted by rynpamn21
i like the beep better than the horn...maybe you just have to clean your ears TBONE...jk bro...IMO, it's pretty audible even in a noisy area. i know that you can turn it off but making it louder? ummm i dunno....
Old 04-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
The system is not considered an alarm because it does not have shock sensors for the body or the windows. If the car is locked with the remote, but unlocked by hand, the horn will blow, but no alarm whine will sound. So, our system does part of the job that an alarm does, but just with a different sound to alert you to trouble.
That's interesting, because it doesn't have a shock sensor and doesn't have a siren it's not considered an alarm. Every alarm system I've ever purchased the shock sensor was an extra option. Several alarm systems in the past have used the car's horn also instead of a siren. The whole idea is to alert somebody that somebody is accessing you car that shouldn't be don't you agree. So they break my window and the car doesn't sense it, but when and if they open the door the horn goes off. I think we may be just talking about symantics.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:35 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by groper
I relocated the beeper from behind the fender liner to just behind the front bumper cover. A simple procedure that took less than an hour. I had planned on replacing the beeper with a soft chirp horn but there wasn't enough juice to trigger a relay. The relocated beeper now beeps just at the right volume; not too soft and not too loud.
do you have steps on relocating the beeper?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:59 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Just so you know "groper" has not posted in over 11 years so he is probably long gone by now. Be aware of the dates of threads as this one is 11 years old.
EvilVirus (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
But kudos on searching before starting a new thread.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:05 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
are you deaf
Old 09-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by cfli1688c1
It's pretty easy - pull back the fender liner on the driver side front wheel, and extend the wires going to it. I put mine right in the front grille to make it louder.

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
Just so you know "groper" has not posted in over 11 years so he is probably long gone by now. Be aware of the dates of threads as this one is 11 years old.
So what? Why should he start a new thread for the same topic. You can't win on this forum - people say search - he does, finds a thread related to the topic and uses it. There's no law that says the OP had to respond.

Originally Posted by Jackass
But kudos on searching before starting a new thread.
EXACTLY

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
are you deaf
Maybe the beeper is quiet on some more so than others. I could barely hear mine when it was in the stock location. Then again, my wife does say I don't ever hear her....
Old 09-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
The lights flash too...if you're driving then you're not blind lol

To increase the distance of your remote hold it near your head or under your chin then click the button.

Last edited by FamilyGuy; 09-15-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
So what? Why should he start a new thread for the same topic. You can't win on this forum - people say search - he does, finds a thread related to the topic and uses it. There's no law that says the OP had to respond.
Who said anything about him starting a new thread?? I said in my post "Just so you know", and "be aware", didnt flame him or give him crap. He quoted a poster who hasnt posted in 11 years so he is probably not going to get a response from him. I was only informing him of that fact as many people do not see or check the date of the thread, geez!!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I have noticed that mine has gotten much quieter recently. A few years ago I could hear it very easily and now it is pretty quiet....and no I am not going deaf. How is that possible?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by screaminz28
Then again, my wife does say I don't ever hear her....
this is called "selective hearing"
Old 09-20-2015, 12:01 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
This has been talked about a few times. I just never seen a response whether anyone has successfully used a aftermarket speaker with the OEM anti-theft system? It would be awesome if it could just tap into the same wires for that OEM speaker.

I'm one of the few that isn't a big fan of the low tone beep. Not that I want anything really loud, but I do like the "chirp, chirp" of an aftermarket alarm.

I think the main question I have about this is that: The OEM system uses that fender speaker only for the "armed" tone. That's it, it's not used for anything else. Probably gets a "pulsed" 12v signal. If the alarm trips it doesn't make a sound. Only the horn goes off. An aftermarket alarm, in contrast, uses the same siren for arming/disarming and if the alarm trips.

I have a good feeling that simply doing a PnP with an aftermarket alarm siren won't work. Does the siren receive 2 different types of signals to emit the different sounds (armed vs. full tripped alarm) So is the "brain" to do this inside the siren? Or is the "brain" for this at the main alarm unit that sends multiple wires to the siren? In another words, are the wires that go to the aftermarket siren purely power wires or multiple wires with different types of input?

I don't think everyone may have followed what I'm saying, lol. I already know someone will say "Just buy a damn used $10 siren from EBay and tinker around". I meant to do that a long time back, just never got around to it. But I just thought someone may have already tried this and could share the experience?
Old 09-21-2015, 05:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
This has been talked about a few times. I just never seen a response whether anyone has successfully used a aftermarket speaker with the OEM anti-theft system? It would be awesome if it could just tap into the same wires for that OEM speaker.

I'm one of the few that isn't a big fan of the low tone beep. Not that I want anything really loud, but I do like the "chirp, chirp" of an aftermarket alarm.

I think the main question I have about this is that: The OEM system uses that fender speaker only for the "armed" tone. That's it, it's not used for anything else. Probably gets a "pulsed" 12v signal. If the alarm trips it doesn't make a sound. Only the horn goes off. An aftermarket alarm, in contrast, uses the same siren for arming/disarming and if the alarm trips.

I have a good feeling that simply doing a PnP with an aftermarket alarm siren won't work. Does the siren receive 2 different types of signals to emit the different sounds (armed vs. full tripped alarm) So is the "brain" to do this inside the siren? Or is the "brain" for this at the main alarm unit that sends multiple wires to the siren? In another words, are the wires that go to the aftermarket siren purely power wires or multiple wires with different types of input?

I don't think everyone may have followed what I'm saying, lol. I already know someone will say "Just buy a damn used $10 siren from EBay and tinker around". I meant to do that a long time back, just never got around to it. But I just thought someone may have already tried this and could share the experience?
I did try to replace the stock beeper with an aftermarket alarm siren. There isn't enough voltage to trigger it so it never made a sound. One of the alarm composites makes a dohickey that will bump a low cost signal up so that you could trigger a relay. You'd wire the stock alarm beeper wires to it, from it to a relay and the relay to the aftermarket siren. I was going to do this just haven't had the time.
rockyfeller (09-21-2015)