Brake Lamp Light On, but Brake Lights just fine!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Lamp Light On, but Brake Lights just fine!

About a month ago the brake lamp light on the dash turned on. I shut the car off and booted it up again and no brake lamp. Then it started coming on for a day, and not showing up for a week or so again. Now it seems its on all the time....

Will the dealership cover it under warranty and fix whatever needs to be done?

Is there anything I can do to move the sensor or something to fix it, because the brake lights are and have been working just fine
Old 12-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's the sensor in the brake fliud resovoir. it happened to me too, just top out your brake fluid or adjust the sensor. I notice it happens when I hit a pot hole etc. the sensor is way too sensitive
Old 12-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Where is the sensor?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

The sensor is inside the Brake fliud resovoir (cap)

Buy it from dealership. They will change it for you for free or DIY. It is really easy.

I remember there is only two wires connected
Old 12-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Originally Posted by SUPERHEAVY_CL
The sensor is inside the Brake fliud resovoir (cap)

Buy it from dealership. They will change it for you for free or DIY. It is really easy.

I remember there is only two wires connected
The sensor has to be replaced? in terms of topping off my brake fluid it says if its not honda heavy duty dot 3 its a problem, how true is this?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Also how the hell does the brake fluid reservoir cap sensor have anything to do with the Brake LAMP light on in the gauges
Old 12-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Advanced

Also, there is a plastic ring (with the cap) inside your brake reservoir.

If the ring is struck or the sensor is failing, the brake lamp will be on.
Finally, it could cause the brake calipers hung-up

BTW, The Cap just cost you $30
Old 12-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Originally Posted by wahooo12345
Also, there is a plastic ring (with the cap) inside your brake reservoir.

If the ring is struck or the sensor is failing, the brake lamp will be on.
Finally, it could cause the brake calipers hung-up

BTW, The Cap just cost you $30
What do you mean it could cause brake calipers hung up? Are you saying the light might come on because something is wrong with my calipers?

My brake fluid is right above minimum, does this have anything to do with it?

I'll talk with Acura I guess if i cant fix it myself, and see what they say it is.

This sensor isnt covered under warranty or the cap?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Cruisin'

I am not sure if the cap is covered

Just make a call to your local dealer, they will explain to you what's going on with your brake lamp

it is a common acura car problem they told me
Old 12-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Dealer replaced my cap and Acura paid the bill. I have a CL-S 2001 with 75K miles. The original stupid cap / sensor caused a problem every time the temperature fell to 40 degrees.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CLsuperhero
it's the sensor in the brake fliud resovoir. it happened to me too, just top out your brake fluid or adjust the sensor. I notice it happens when I hit a pot hole etc. the sensor is way too sensitive
Uhmm.. he said "BRAKE LAMP" not "BRAKE" light. The brake lamp light has nothing to do with the master cylinder. He has one of the taillight bulbs blown.

They are double element bulbs. One side of the element can still work as the other side is blown.

Go to your dealer, buy ALL 4 taillight bulbs for your car and install them yourself. They are very easy to install. That will turn off your "brake lamp" light..

good luck.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why would you need to buy all 4 if only 1 is blown?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Cause a month later the other light will blow. You also have a different brightness between the new & old bulb.

When I have 1 bulb go out I replace both sides.

Your already buying the bulbs, your already replacing 1 might as well do them all.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by loud_whispers
Uhmm.. he said "BRAKE LAMP" not "BRAKE" light. The brake lamp light has nothing to do with the master cylinder. He has one of the taillight bulbs blown.
This is what he really said:

Originally Posted by Renegade
About a month ago the brake lamp light on the dash turned on.
When did the brake lamp light on the dash get moved to the tail light assembly?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:07 AM
Got a Job!

lol...obviously you aren't understanding man...

there are 2 "brake" lights on the guages...one that reads "Brake" and another that says "Brake lamp". The "Brake" light is either for the e-brake, or the fluid reservoir. The "brake lamp" has to do w/ the taillight bulbs.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Yes, it says "BRAKE LAMP" not the "brake" light.

My tailight bulbs work just fine, whats the problem?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Got a Job!

renegade...replace the 4 brake light bulbs...they're 7443 bulbs. I just did that and they work now.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

The thing I don't understand, is if all the brake bulb lights work just fine when I'm braking, why is the light on, and why do I have to replace them?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Got a Job!

someone above mentioned that they're dual filament bulbs...
Old 12-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
The thing I don't understand, is if all the brake bulb lights work just fine when I'm braking, why is the light on, and why do I have to replace them?
you dont have to...get a peice of electrical tape...or even Gum and just stick it over the spot where the brake lamp light is, on your gauge cluster....problem fixed...or spend the 10 bucks on the solution that your thread got you...either one...BTW ,may wanna top off the fluid while you're at it ...any DOT 3 or 4 fluid will do...dont want both brake lights on the dash lit up....2 peices of Gum stuck to your gauge cluster would just be wrong!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
They should all come on with the headlights on too. You said it comes and goes, that's a sign of either a bad connection or a bulb that has a filiment that's broken but is still making contact. That's why everyone is suggesting you change all the lights. Don't forget the 3rd brake light.

Take them out and tap or shake the bulb while they're still in the sockets and the headlights on, then do it with the brakes on and you'll probably find one that flickers on and off.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Originally Posted by RooEng
They should all come on with the headlights on too. You said it comes and goes, that's a sign of either a bad connection or a bulb that has a filiment that's broken but is still making contact. That's why everyone is suggesting you change all the lights. Don't forget the 3rd brake light.

Take them out and tap or shake the bulb while they're still in the sockets and the headlights on, then do it with the brakes on and you'll probably find one that flickers on and off.

So when the light is off the drivers side brake lamp is working, but when its off one of the bulbs isnt working, hope its not wiring, and a replacement of the bulb will do, how do i get back there?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Industrial Designer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I just noticed my red "Brake Lamp" light on the dash lit up. I checked my tail lights and the brake lights, strangely, looked fine. As posted by another member, the bulbs are dual filament so if one burns out you have one remaining filament in the bulb. This allows you the chance to replace it without getting a ticket for not having a working tail light (genius). Replace both and keep the other working one a as a spare. You can access them by unscrewing the larger notched black knob just behind the tail light housing in the trunk. There's one on each side. After unscrewing the knobs and pulling back the carpet paneling a bit you'll see a cluster of 3 light bulb harnesses. The brake light bulb is on the bottom. Just turn a 1/8 of a turn and it will pop out.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
There are 2 brake light bulbs in each tail light. So when one burns out it still is lit up... It's actually kinda hard to see if both are lit.

This happened to me last week. Fixed it in 2 mins in the crappy tire parking lot with no tools at all
Old 12-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by DevinSidell
I just noticed my red "Brake Lamp" light on the dash lit up. I checked my tail lights and the brake lights, strangely, looked fine. As posted by another member, the bulbs are dual filament so if one burns out you have one remaining filament in the bulb. This allows you the chance to replace it without getting a ticket for not having a working tail light (genius). Replace both and keep the other working one a as a spare. You can access them by unscrewing the larger notched black knob just behind the tail light housing in the trunk. There's one on each side. After unscrewing the knobs and pulling back the carpet paneling a bit you'll see a cluster of 3 light bulb harnesses. The brake light bulb is on the bottom. Just turn a 1/8 of a turn and it will pop out.
I think you're misunderstanding dual filament bulbs. The second filament isn't a spare. One is for when the tailights are on, it burns at a lower wattage. The second filament is thicker and brighter with more wattage. That one kicks on when you step on the brakes. That's how you are able to have 2 different light outputs inside 1 bulb (2 filaments).
Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

Oh man was this so true. True story.... I drove around for a year with my "brake Lamp" light on, thinking I would get it fixed one via the dealer and it would cost me a fortune. Last week, I google the issue because I was prepared to get the issue resolved and it led me straight to this forum & section. after reading the comments, I decided to test out some of the theories. Lo & behold, it turned out o be just a burnt out bulb. A quick trip to the autopart store, $7 bulb purchase and issue has been resolved. Thank you for the info below. This information is soo true & accurate

Originally Posted by DevinSidell