-=Attention SCalbert - In regards to inside of ur Manifold =-

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 07:12 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-=Attention SCalbert - In regards to inside of ur Manifold =-

I have to take off my Upper manifold Plenum to reach my FR fuel rail to deal with a fuel leak from the fuel return line to the fuel rail. Upon taking off my plenum cover for the central chamber, I noticed there's oil pooling down inside the central chamber. Did you notice any oil pools inside yours when you took off your plenum to do your RES job?

Also, do you happen to know the torque specs on the bolts that keep the plate secure? I don't have a helm or haynes manual for the CL-S. Thanks for any replies by you and anyone else as well that can help me on this...

PS: Would it be at all possible for you to take a Digi Pic of your actuator motor and where it's bolted to your RR Valve Cover? I'm having trouble finding a suitable spot to bolt mine too on mine and I have a feeling the fact that my head is an "a1" while yours are "a2"s is the problem with drilled holes and such.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, I beleive all will have a little oil pudling in the chamber. It uses a gasket and there is what appears to be oil passages. I'm still going to look further into the need of the oil passages if thats what they even are. It could be something to do with the EGR system. Or it could be to help warm the air for emissions purposes. I'm going to dig more on this tonight and determine the need for or if these passages could be simply blocked.

But yes, it is normal...

I don't recall the torque specs but they are low, 15 lb/ft would be more than enough and I don't recall any specified pattern, but again I'll check that tonight.

You want a pic of the actuator motor,from what angle?? I thought there were a few out there already showing this. But I have no problem snapping off a few, just let me know from what veiw.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Thanx for the reply, I was a little worried there that I might have a leak, and I was worried about these quite large pool amounts going into the combustion chamber along with the air to mix with the injected fuel.

As for the pictures of the actuator, I will search around for pictures first to see if there are any. But the only real angle I wanted to see was if you're facing the front of the car, hanging over the engine, and looking directly at it from the vantage point of the engine cover, taking a snap shot of the bracket the actuator motor is attached to and where the connection points are for that bracket. Thanks again
Old 02-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by scalbert
Yes, I beleive all will have a little oil pudling in the chamber. It uses a gasket and there is what appears to be oil passages. I'm still going to look further into the need of the oil passages if thats what they even are. It could be something to do with the EGR system. Or it could be to help warm the air for emissions purposes. I'm going to dig more on this tonight and determine the need for or if these passages could be simply blocked.

But yes, it is normal...

I don't recall the torque specs but they are low, 15 lb/ft would be more than enough and I don't recall any specified pattern, but again I'll check that tonight.

You want a pic of the actuator motor,from what angle?? I thought there were a few out there already showing this. But I have no problem snapping off a few, just let me know from what veiw.
doug said they were EGR ehaust retunr or something like that and the oil was residual
Old 02-05-2002, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by typeR
doug said they were EGR ehaust retunr or something like that and the oil was residual
Yea, I traced it down tonight and was about to report on this. Right at the T after the throttle body but inside the inner chamber is a hole at the bottom. This then feeds a kinda maze in the top of the manifold cover with each path running to a small hole which leads down to each individual intake runner. After seeing that I knew it had to be the EGR system,

However, this does not contact the open chamber. The gasket for the lid is supposed to seal it but I assume some seepage may occur.

But one other thing is that I feel a little more releived that the sealing isn't as critical since it is for the EGR system...
Old 02-06-2002, 09:17 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scalbert

Yea, I traced it down tonight and was about to report on this. Right at the T after the throttle body but inside the inner chamber is a hole at the bottom. This then feeds a kinda maze in the top of the manifold cover with each path running to a small hole which leads down to each individual intake runner. After seeing that I knew it had to be the EGR system,
No, These are one of the paths for the air, the one used for rpmbelow 3800. These paths do "the supercharging effects" that Acura talks about. They are not an EGR Return. An they should be sealed in your DIY RES.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

No, These are one of the paths for the air, the one used for rpmbelow 3800. These paths do "the supercharging effects" that Acura talks about. They are not an EGR Return. An they should be sealed in your DIY RES.
I'll take a pic to show you what I am refering to. These paths and holes are about 1/8" wide and not connected to the central chamber where the IMRC plates are located. The paths are in the cover plates with the holes in the intake manifold.

If you take the cover off and look at the manifold design, to the right you will see a pocket with an about 1/2" hole in the bottom. This has a path to the EGR valve and after that to the exhaust ports. So it is definitely for the EGR.

I know what the air paths are and where the EGR system work, you are mistaken in what is being refered to. Refer to the following links for a schematic and indicators of what I am refering to.

Geez, I hope I know what I am doing as cutting the top off of the cover could be trouble.

The IMRC flow system in the intake namifold:
http://www.flwse.com/images/steve/En...32A2Engine.jpg

The EGR flow system in the intake manifold:
http://www.flwse.com/images/steve/En...2A2Engine2.JPG
Old 02-06-2002, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
otherwise known as "the little curvey channels"...
Old 02-06-2002, 11:22 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Scalbert,

I stand corrected... thanks....

However, looking at your great scans, I discovered another and easier way to do a RES?

What aboout adding new "spacer" between the Inatke chambers and the paths ways to the Intake Mainfold.

Basically, we would equally incrase the volume of the intake manifold without upsetting the stock tuning.

What do you think ?
Old 02-06-2002, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
What aboout adding new "spacer" between the Inatke chambers and the paths ways to the Intake Mainfold.

Basically, we would equally incrase the volume of the intake manifold without upsetting the stock tuning.

What do you think ?
Hrmm, that would work!! You would need to provide passages for the EGT flow to the runners but that is just a straight shot. In essense you would just take the gasket and use it as the model, make a spacer identical to the gasket (with a center ridge) but just over an inch tall. That way you could just use two of the stock gaskets and longer bolts.

The only problem with me trying that is the milling that would be required. It would be best to use a single piece of aluminum and mill it out to the shape of the gasket. This is something I did not have imediate access to but could certainly be done.

Also, there would need to be some work on the center wall as this would need to be created based on the bottom of the cover.

But in all, that is a great possibility and maybe the most feasible for a production piece. But I have to guess that Doug did look at this possible avenue??
Old 02-06-2002, 11:49 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Scalbert,

This is not what I really meant, what you described could work too!

I was refering to the front intake chamber and rear intake chamber that are bolted to the sides of Intake Manifold via a gasket. There is also the Manifold funnels that could be modified too if needed.

What do you think ?

Also, do you think we can use 2 or more gaskets ( back to back ) as a "prototype spacer"?
Old 02-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Ah, I see, you are refering to the front and rear chambers or what I sometimes call them end tanks. That could work and may not be to hard to try. The only problems I can remember there might be is clearance with the IMRC actuator which is mounted behind the rear end tank. Then the heads might be in the way a little, but both are easy enough to check on.

But if there is clearance that might be fun to try, say maybe a 1/2" spacer to begin with...