Pen marks on my Leather Seats... how do i remove?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pen marks on my Leather Seats... how do i remove?

Hey guys, I had a pen in my back pocket and it left marks all over my leather seats. SO I was curious what the best way to get the pen marks off... woudl alcohol work or would it be too strong?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:34 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
7. A stain remover that guarantees to remove stains on leather would need to be formulated with a strong solvent or alcohol , which will potentially damage the finish and / or remove the pigmentation; consequently the surface will require refinishing.

a) Leather Soft Cleaner – (Non-Coated, Protected)
Leather Soft Cleaner is a mild, water-based cleaner that will not affect the Leather’s original properties or finish. It is designed to remove most soiling as well as water-based stains. Leather Soft Cleaner is solvent free and works without removing the finish or harming the Leather.

b) Strong Effect Cleaner - highly efficient for cleaning leather that is very dirty (will also clean ‘blue jean stains) and water based stains of any kind. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc (for regular cleaning use Soft Cleaner)

c) Alternative cleaning solution - use a formula that is used by one of the major tanneries to clean their leather - 3% Woolite®, 10% Isopropyl alcohol and the balance distilled water. Alternative cleaning solution - use a formula that is used by one of the major tanneries to clean their leather - 3% Woolite®, 10% Isopropyl alcohol and the balance distilled water.

d) The Ink Remover (Protected Leathers only) is designed for removal of recent (within 48 hours) ink contamination. Ink marks older than 3-5 days may not respond or will only be lightened (see Strong Effect Cleaner) . The biodegradable formula is very easy to use (wax-like stick container) and works well for all types of ink as well as lipstick - http://www.topoftheline.com
Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I have had no issues using Hair spray ( contains IPA ) or IPA/water mix on protected leather ( which we have in our cars ) .. just pre test on an non-conspicuous area.

TOGWT are you in the UK? I noticed your cut & paste is from a UK site .. Are you speaking from experience or just cutting and pasting info from commercial sites?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
^I believe he wrote his own book/site and its from his book/site. Not exactly sure though, still useful!