Dealer changed terms!

Old 03-10-2004, 06:33 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer changed terms!

I had a $5k deposit on an Artic blue 6MT non-navi for delivery at the end of April(my current lease goes back then- I was going to purchase the TSX) well we sat down to talk numbers last evening and they would only discount the car $870 for silver and they said IF and this is a big IF they can even get the artic blue it will cost more. I took my money back and am looking into other cars. I like the TSX but I am not going to be "stuck" with something I don't want(read silver, not horrible by any means but I wanted blue) in particular at a price I don't think is fair. The salesman is going to call me today and try and sort things out. Looks like I may end up getting an Accord they'll take like 2k off them any day of the week not to mention killer financing. Is it just me or does $870 discount sound like a joke to you to?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Would you feel better if they upped the sticker by 2K and then you got 3K off? Shop around and see if someone else will give you better deal. Let the Internet do the walking. Some places will deal and others won't. If indeed blue is a difficult color to get the price will reflect that. Of course some other dealer might have one on his lot gathering dust. You won't know until you ask.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Tireguy, you did the right thing. I can't stand these sleazy dealers. If I were you, I would just go to another Acura dealer, or just get another car, PERIOD!

If you check the posts here and on Edmunds.com, you will find that lots of people are now getting $1000 to even almost $2000 off MSRP now. So there is no point to waste your time and money here. Just remember that they are still trying to sell you now a 2004 model when in a few months' time the 2005 will probably be out.

I thought that there was a volume dealer in upstate New York (in Westchester Co. or something?) that had great deals? I know, I know, Albany is not close to that...
Old 03-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Oops! Double-posting...

Why don't you wait for the Accord hybrid?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:19 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Ostrich- Thanks for the support! I was looking into dealers in Westchester Co. today(one of my best friends lives there so its no problem to go down there) I thought that $1000+ was pretty typical and was shocked at 870 though they said they MAYBE could do 950 for the car I want IF I gave them the deposit back before the weekend. I told them to pound salt- politely of course. I will look into the westchester county dealer(I like the car but not enough to get an unfair deal on it) other wise I will just get an Accord which they will take 2k off the top just by asking- plus I'll get factory XM radio. I also pointed out that this car is not as "hot and fresh" as he claimed it was because its been out for over a year and is still the same model year, he changed the subject quickly. I should have known from the fake Rolex that he was slimy, people who wear fake timepieces pawning them off as the real thing typically have charchter crippling personalities.

Any other thoughts? did I over react?? or better yet does anyone have the name and number of the dealer in westchester county??
Old 03-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Drifting

Hey, Tireguy, guess what? I found it! It's Curry Acura in Scarsdale:

http://www.curryacura.com/

Tel: (866) 491 1024

I don't have any personal experience with them, but from what I have read, they are supposed to be a volume dealer with good discounts on the TSX. They even have a grey one with 6MT in stock! However, they don't have any blue one in stock right now. Altogether I think they have 9 TSX in stock.

Even if your current dealer offers another $100 off, I would just tell them to go away. You don't need to be insulted like that. My local dealer in Cleveland was so sleazy that I drove 50 miles to go to another dealer in Akron. The Akron dealer treated me so nicely that even at the same price, I chose to buy from them instead.

By the way, if you are considering an Accord, and you're a Costco or Sams Club member, don't forget to check out their auto club prices. Even months ago, Costco Auto Club members were already offered just $100 over invoice price for the Accord EX V6!!! It was mighty tempting but I still resisted that temptation and went with the TSX instead... and I am happy that I did :-)

Keep us posted - we'll fight these sleazy dealers together! LOL
Old 03-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yo, tireguy, I think I can help you out. I deal with curry acura and I was going to get an arctic blue that was suposed to come in March 1st. I decided I prefered the CG and it is coming in this monday hopefully. Anyway they might still have that arctic blue that I passed up. It is worth giving them a call, also you can get a good deal. Just have to negotiate a little. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2004, 04:04 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Hey guys thanks a million! I will contact them this week and see if we can come to terms!
Old 03-15-2004, 07:21 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Put a deposit on the car, salesman was friendly, had a good price(with in $600 of what I wanted to pay) and they are getting me what I want with out playing games. Thanks for the refferal to Curry Acura after a few short conversations I am glad I went the direction I did.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Glad to help. What salesman did you deal with?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:32 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Yuri, he was very easy to deal with, had everything taken care of in less then an hour! As where the other place took 2 days and was still wasteing my time.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

what's with all these deposits of over 1K... ??? i don't get it.

the most i have ever put down on a car was $100.00, do you guys have sucker written over your face. no really, i'm curious as to why put down money on something you don't own legally... only to suffer if things go bad.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Evil Empire Peon

I didn't even bother putting down a deposit. I just told them to contact me when the car I wanted was in and then we'll start negotiating then.

Figured it would probably waste less of my time.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by DEVO
what's with all these deposits of over 1K... ??? i don't get it.

the most i have ever put down on a car was $100.00, do you guys have sucker written over your face. no really, i'm curious as to why put down money on something you don't own legally... only to suffer if things go bad.
Here at our store we collect deposits but do not cash them. The normal amont collected is $1000. We do this to insure that sales consultants don't 'hold' a car without a real customer.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Drifting

YAY! Tireguy, congrats! I am glad that things worked out well in the end. Do you plan on calling up the first dealer to tell them that they just lost all this $$$ they could have made if they didn't play this stupid game? LOL
Old 03-17-2004, 09:16 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Ostrich- As much fun as that may seem, I find that gloating is a waste of time as is regret- I don't invest my time in either. In this day and age the only thing that will make people listen is the dollar it knows no limits and is truly the universal language in the USA. The mere fact that I took my $25k+ of business else where is a statement enough- sure its not all profit but there is a reason the salesman had a fake Rolex and not a real one. And its not this first small sale, its also the fact my brother is getting one(a TSX) in November and if we are pleased it seems reasonible to think we would upgrade down the road with in the same family.

But again thank you for taking time out of your day to help me, if it were not for you I would have ordered a Honda next week. I believe I made the right choice and will have many many miles of happy motoring.

The reason for such a deposit was because I have a car going back on lease and will need to buy a new car right afterward and did not want to risk not having a car waiting for me when I need it- I felt a sizeable deposit would ensure this- I was wrong. Curry Acura got a $1000 deposit and guarantied delivery at the end of April.