For those on the fence, what other cars at this price range are you considering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
So, by your argument, Acura should price the TLX the same as the Accord because .. they don't have an RWD or different platform... let's ignore the RLX..
I think that "hddnav" summed it up best by saying that Acura's are most appealing in the $30K-$40k price range once you go beyond that their are better options.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by DEman19901
I think that "hddnav" summed it up best by saying that Acura's are most appealing in the $30K-$40k price range once you go beyond that their are better options.
Objectively (ok, only somewhat), amongst the premium brands:

For pampering, quietness, and luxury, buy Lexus.
For reliability, but Lexus.
For quality control, buy Lexus.
For dealer service, buy Lexus.
For fuel economy and being Green, buy Lexus.
For sportiness, buy BMW.
For prestige, buy Mercedes.
For the most gadgets for the money, buy Hyundai.
For the lowest price, buy Acura.
For a very specific, value-minded, and personal combination of the above, buy Acura.
For buying American, buy Cadillac (not counting Tesla).

Last edited by hddnav; 08-28-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently have a 2010 SH-AWD and just paid off. The new TLX is a big disappointment to me, it's just a upgraded TSX and nothing more. I will be looking somewhere else, maybe the new 2015 MB C400 or better yet C450 AMG. Maybe even an M3 but not an Acura or I'll wait for the BABY NSX.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hddnav
I think the sweet spot where Acuras are appealing is between $30 to $40k. Too many genuine competitors above, while their lower priced models are way too similar to the equivalent Honda (and styled just like them too).
Good post and way of looking at it. For value and what I can justify from my wallet that $35-$38k area is the sweet spot. You can find some really well made and beautiful cars at that area. I'm taking my sweet arse time on this purchase because we generally drive cars 7+ years and I don't want to make a decision I regret for a long time. I don't think any of the cars I am looking at will disappoint me but the little things become more important the longer you own the vehicle.

I think I'm still in the Q50 vs. TLX review right now. I want to test drive the 4-Tech on the TLX but they are still super rare around here (ATL). I have pretty strong opinions on color (inside and out) also and I refuse to get a color I don't like just because it is all that is available. I don't particularly want to wait 6 months for the TLXs to be more readily available.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Devilswithin
I currently have a 2010 SH-AWD and just paid off. The new TLX is a big disappointment to me, it's just a upgraded TSX and nothing more. I will be looking somewhere else, maybe the new 2015 MB C400 or better yet C450 AMG. Maybe even an M3 but not an Acura or I'll wait for the BABY NSX.
Damn Acura! They need to just close up shop and let MB win! Feel free to pay MUCH, MUCH more than the "upgraded TSX". Enjoy

POS Acura!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
BookemDanole (08-28-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (09-01-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by DEman19901
In the past in wasn't such a bad thing when Honda was so far ahead of the competition. I am still trying to figure out what the hell happened.
The competition caught up and the room at the top to improve is not that great.

Complaints about Acura can be interpreted as wanting a higher standard but at the same price. It's just not gonna happen. Want more then pay more. Now it is a different story if the desire is to have a higher quality Acura at a higher price.
The following users liked this post:
BookemDanole (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 AM
4th Gear

"Damn Acura! They need to just close up shop and let MB win! Feel free to pay MUCH, MUCH more than the "upgraded TSX". Enjoy

POS Acura!!! "

I was looking for a better and faster TL SH-AWD in the 2015 TLX but they lost me. It is a fine car but I am not looking to downgrade from my current TL.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

"Damn Acura! They need to just close up shop and let MB win! Feel free to pay MUCH, MUCH more than the "upgraded TSX". Enjoy

POS Acura!!! "

I was looking for a better and faster TL SH-AWD in the 2015 TLX but they lost me. It is a fine car but I am not looking to downgrade from my current TL.
One quick question, when did you drive a TLX SH-AWD and how did you time it to know it is such a downgrade? You guys are funny
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM
4th Gear

One quick question, when did you drive a TLX SH-AWD and how did you time it to know it is such a downgrade? You guys are funny
it's a downgrade FOR ME. Just look at the specs.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

it's a downgrade FOR ME. Just look at the specs.
Whatever man... if it makes you happy
Old 08-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
I agree with the sentiment that the TLX is a sidways movement when compared to the 4G TL, it's a great car, but its not moving the needle really. I guess the idea is to get more people to look at the RLX, the ones that are let down by the TLX? I don't know, I don't think there is any brand equity in the RLX name. It's analogous to the La Sabre or Roadmaster, sort of hard to think of it as a serious option for someone not of a certain age. Both the RLX and TLX desperately need a Type S variant to remain relevant.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Objectively (ok, only somewhat), amongst the premium brands:

For pampering, quietness, and luxury, buy Lexus.
For reliability, but Lexus.
For quality control, buy Lexus.
For dealer service, buy Lexus.
For fuel economy and being Green, buy Lexus.
For sportiness, buy BMW.
For prestige, buy Mercedes.
For the most gadgets for the money, buy Hyundai.
For the lowest price, buy Acura.
For a very specific, value-minded, and personal combination of the above, buy Acura.
Sorry but Cadillac deserves more respect than 'buying American', the Vsport hands the 5 series its proverbial ass in terms of 'sportiness' and definitely value. I'm telling you, people let down by the TLX really need to check out the ATS or CTS, fantastic cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by jbawden:
internalaudit (09-05-2014), Stew4HD (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Banzai
I've been shopping the Q50, ATS, C class and TLX (of course). I scratched off the Lexus and BMW due to big price jumps, especially for the features I want (nav and backup camera).

TLX - beautiful in person. Size is perfect for me and my family. Honda reliability. Front runner based on 4cyl with Tech package price. Not to keen on paying full MSRP or waiting forever for the color/style I want to finally come in.

ATS - best driving of all I have looked at. The engine in the turbo 4 is so smooth and peppy. Inside is pretty but GM-y which is a style I don't overtly care for. Tiny. No, like ridiculously small. Rear seats are for carnies maybe. I've had Big Gulps bigger than the trunk. Like the style.

C class - like the look. Dislike the spartan interior. Technology seems outdated compared to peers. Engine is too loud. Distractingly so. Some really good deals available on them as so many out there.

Q50 - best looking of all inside and out. Used to own I in the past and it was super reliable and sturdy. If it was 5k less would probably be front runner. Not as sporty as TLX

So I'm really stuck between the TLX and Q50. Time will tell...
I really laughed about the big gulp - great comment!

I love this thread - people in this thread seem to like the Acuras but are OPEN MINDED enough to consider other cars as well. I really still love my OLD TL but I really want a huge jump in GPS tech and gas mileage. I like the Q50 CHOICE between using a touch screen and/or toggle switch/mouse for input.

I'm concerned so many people commented that the TLX seats aren't as nice as the old TL as that is one of my favorite features about my current TL. I tried the Accord (I was considering the hybrid until I tried the driver seat) and the seats were actually less comfy than my 20 year old civic. I haven't actually test driven the TLX yet so I'm hoping that people were being overly critical of the seats. I live in LA and have literally sat in traffic for an hour to drive 10 miles so seat comfort/luxury is no small thing.

Last edited by boe_d; 08-28-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
For the sake of discussion, let me borrow your shopping list as an example of how the target market is clearly different between the TLX and 4G TL SH-AWD.

When I bought my 2013 TL, on the higher-priced side, the cars I considered were the Lexus GS350 F-sport (luxury-tuned vanilla GS was of no interest) and BMW 5-series. About the same price as the TL was the Infiniti G37 sedan. Priced lower were the Honda Accord Touring and even the Camry Hybrid (yikes!!!). In this crowd, the 4G TL SH-AWD was a really strong bargain that offered a combination of attributes that I just couldn't pass up.

Honda Civic sized cars, such as the BMW 3-series, Lexus IS, and the TSX, were not even on my radar, primarily due to the desire for something safe and roomy enough for a growing family of four, not to mention the occasional business dinner.

This is not to suggest that the TLX is less safe or dramatically less roomy than the TL, but it is clearly marketed towards a younger crowd who is either single, a young couple, or a young couple with infants. I remember reading articles that the 4G was targeted towards buyers in the lower 40's age range. I wonder if the TLX targets buyers in their 20's and lower 30's.

I do believe the lower price tag and targeting younger buyers will drive up Acura sales, so this is probably not a bad strategy for Acura, especially since the ILX seems to have completely missed the target. However, much like how they've abandoned the 6MT market, they've also abandoned buyers who were looking for a more mature sports sedan (because there aren't enough of us).

Bingo!! I could not have said myself in better terms.

The TL was able to punch above its waistline where the TLX is not IMHO.

Quite few TL owners cross shopped the GS and 5 Series, the A6 or even the Infiniti M....I see a potential cross shopping between a TLX and these above mentioned cars virtually nil.

Upgrade about my wife's car...the final decision is between a Q50 Sport AWD or a GS350 F-Sport both fully loaded.

I sure hope for Acura that ti will sell better than the TL....its replacing 2 cars lowering the price point and probably attracting some potential mainstream sedan buyers too.

The ILX is actually selling ok...as much as the Audi A3...granted I think it's a dog of a car.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-28-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^^^

imo -- no brainer -- Lexus Fsport. The again you are in the PNW and AWD would be useful. But on car merits alone? Lexus. My 1st has been so much fun and bullet proof. I passed on GS because I've always wanted a TSX sized car since they 1st came out. Actually I think this IS captures the spirit of the 1st gen TSX quite well sans the 4 cyl. I intuited it was over for Acura when the bloated the TSX. Couldn't believe they did that. I saw GM, Ford, and Chrysler do that all of the damn time and it never worked. Remember the original Cougar, Camaro, and Thunderbirds? Cool cars that became house boats. Acura should've kept the TSX small and nimble and continued to optimize it.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
So, by your argument, Acura should price the TLX the same as the Accord because .. they don't have an RWD or different platform... let's ignore the RLX..
Ignoring the RLX (top end) & using the logic presented the TLX is the next to top end Honda like the ES is the top end Toyota. The price spreads reflect that. The current pricing is where the TLX needs to be to sell well. Good plan by Honda.

The next level of the Lexus moves on to RWD, different packaging & higher prices.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Ignoring the RLX (top end) & using the logic presented the TLX is the next to top end Honda like the ES is the top end Toyota. The price spreads reflect that. The current pricing is where the TLX needs to be to sell well. Good plan by Honda.

The next level of the Lexus moves on to RWD, different packaging & higher prices.
I agree, I was responding to the post that the TLX is over priced
BEAR-AvHistory (08-28-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Objectively (ok, only somewhat), amongst the premium brands:<br />
<br />
For pampering, quietness, and luxury, buy Lexus. <br />
For reliability, but Lexus. <br />
For quality control, buy Lexus. <br />
For dealer service, buy Lexus. <br />
For fuel economy and being Green, buy Lexus. <br />
For sportiness, buy BMW. <br />
For prestige, buy Mercedes. <br />
For the most gadgets for the money, buy Hyundai.<br />
For the lowest price, buy Acura.<br />
For a very specific, value-minded, and personal combination of the above, buy Acura.<br />
<br />
<br />
I don't know where this list is from but I decided on another G for me. Probably going to get the wife a Q in the near future. Although I may look at the TLX after it becomes more commonplace.<br />
<br />
Tough decision, since Acura really has stepped up its game with the TLX and it was the first model year, which had me very leery.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
I think the strong value proposition the TLX represents just shows how much the rest of the competition has raised their prices ($50K for a 4 cyl 328i equipped like for like?). Put a 6 cyl in any of these other cars and you're knocking on the door of $60K equipped like a ~$45K TLX Advance.

Now you can see where Acura held the line on pricing. Just because you can spend more doesn't mean that you get anything significantly more.

I know it took me a couple of trips through the Audi and BMW dealerships/ownership to realize that.

Icing on the cake, you get Acura reliability, and a car that will likely last you 200K miles without leaving you stranded if you keep up maintenance in any reasonable way. Actually, I've seen plenty where maintenance was an afterthought to the owner, and their Acuras were still returning high, trouble free miles. Don't try that with an Audi or BMW (probably not a Mercedes, either).

It's good that some of you are comparing the TL/TLX to a $60K Lexus GS. To me, that's a big positive. i know I can get a GS 350 equipped similar to a TLX ADvance for a pretty good discount ($150 of invoice). It's still $10K more than the MSRP of a TLX (will be more of a delta as soon as supply catches up with demand and discounts start on the TLX).
The following 3 users liked this post by graphicguy:
internalaudit (08-30-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (09-01-2014), Stew4HD (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by graphicguy
I think the strong value proposition the TLX represents just shows how much the rest of the competition has raised their prices ($50K for a 4 cyl 328i equipped like for like?). Put a 6 cyl in any of these other cars and you're knocking on the door of $60K equipped like a ~$45K TLX Advance.

Now you can see where Acura held the line on pricing. Just because you can spend more doesn't mean that you get anything significantly more.

I know it took me a couple of trips through the Audi and BMW dealerships/ownership to realize that.

Icing on the cake, you get Acura reliability, and a car that will likely last you 200K miles without leaving you stranded if you keep up maintenance in any reasonable way. Actually, I've seen plenty where maintenance was an afterthought to the owner, and their Acuras were still returning high, trouble free miles. Don't try that with an Audi or BMW (probably not a Mercedes, either).

It's good that some of you are comparing the TL/TLX to a $60K Lexus GS. To me, that's a big positive. i know I can get a GS 350 equipped similar to a TLX ADvance for a pretty good discount ($150 of invoice). It's still $10K more than the MSRP of a TLX (will be more of a delta as soon as supply catches up with demand and discounts start on the TLX).
Don't let the GS folks at Clublexus know that! When I was looking to get the GS I went there and started chatting and talking about the TL/GS comparison.. they blew their top that I dared to compare the 2 cars.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Don't let the GS folks at Clublexus know that! When I was looking to get the GS I went there and started chatting and talking about the TL/GS comparison.. they blew their top that I dared to compare the 2 cars.
The ytd sales figures for both cars speak volumes about the general public think. You can look them up yourself at GCBC.

You can compare a TL to Bugatti. Doesn't elevate the TL nor diminish the Bugatti.
Stew4HD (08-29-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:20 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two Finalists

Long time lurker first time poster. Thanks for the great forum!

In one corner Acura TLX v-6 tech in the other 2014 Cadillac CTS Turbo Four w/ luxury package - Dealer can't move them GM throwing incentives in to bring this $51K car down to $43K.

I know the TLX is punching above its weight class in this scenario but I'm interested in knowing everyone's thoughts.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Bingo!! I could not have said myself in better terms.

The TL was able to punch above its waistline where the TLX is not IMHO.

Quite few TL owners cross shopped the GS and 5 Series, the A6 or even the Infiniti M....I see a potential cross shopping between a TLX and these above mentioned cars virtually nil.

Upgrade about my wife's car...the final decision is between a Q50 Sport AWD or a GS350 F-Sport both fully loaded.

I sure hope for Acura that ti will sell better than the TL....its replacing 2 cars lowering the price point and probably attracting some potential mainstream sedan buyers too.

The ILX is actually selling ok...as much as the Audi A3...granted I think it's a dog of a car.
Actually, I am cross shopping them. I will probably buy a car in the next few weeks. The contenders are the TLX, A6, Cadillac CTS V Sport, GS-F, and new Genisis 5.0.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Instead of the perpetual "I'll definitely buy a car in the next few weeks" or forum window shopper category, we actually did cross-shop the TLX - with Mazda 6, Audi A3, and 2014 TSX (non-limited edition). We replaced my mother's 2006 TSX.

The TSX won.

Other cars in household include 2013 535i and 2014 MDX. My father has a 2012 CTS.
internalaudit (09-05-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 AM
Black

Originally Posted by tsx2tlx?

In one corner Acura TLX v-6 tech in the other 2014 Cadillac CTS Turbo Four w/ luxury package - Dealer can't move them GM throwing incentives in to bring this $51K car down to $43K.

I know the TLX is punching above its weight class in this scenario but I'm interested in knowing everyone's thoughts.
Cadillac hands down.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jbawden
Sorry but Cadillac deserves more respect than 'buying American', the Vsport hands the 5 series its proverbial ass in terms of 'sportiness' and definitely value. I'm telling you, people let down by the TLX really need to check out the ATS or CTS, fantastic cars.
I own a 550 BMW, and I test drove a V-Sport the other day. In terms of value, I don't agree on the V-Sport. If you want one with a sunroof it's a $70,000 car. Now I know what you are going to say, that is still cheaper than my BMW. But the Cadillac simply does not have the standing yet to command that sort of money and it is apparent because they can hardly give them away. I"m seeing $10,000 discounts and they still are not moving.

I liked the car a lot and am interested, but resale scares the hell out of me. I've been down that road before with American cars. The jury is still out for me on the "video game" interior. I have trouble taking a car seriously that is so gimmicky.
lindros2 (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, I did not see your post before mine just above this. My comments are along the same lines. GM seriously over priced the CTS, and Cadillac in general is not able to get over the hump in terms of becoming a serious contender with the Europeans. They have built some good cars, but they just can't get there. And I'm not biased, when the last gen CTS came out in 2008 I got one (a two year lease). I was very disappointed in the car despite the glowing reviews it got. And I'm glad I didn't buy it because resale would have tanked.

The American manufacturers can't get away from the volume issue. They are so driven by volume that if (when) they don't sell, they keep throwing incentives at them which kills resale value. And despite all that, the current V-Sport is still on my list of cars I'm interested in right now. But I doubt if I'll be able to pull the trigger on one.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjsC5:
internalaudit (09-05-2014), lindros2 (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Smile

If you can get the CTS for that price, go for it. Yesterday I drove my first TLX (admittedly an I4) and loved it - but I think the new CTS is in a different league, it's a true luxury sports sedan.

My wife had a second generation CTS for almost 7 years and loved it, and she currently has an ATS that we think is great. We considered the new CTS, but a little to big and costly (no big incentives at that time) for us. And the ATS is so light, compact and fun to drive. By the way, the interior is great and we've had no problems with CUE.

I'm only talking about the 2014 CTS with big mark-downs. The 2015 (at around MSRP) vs the 2015 V6 TLX may be a totally different value story. And it should be mentioned that the Luxury version of the CTS does not have all the features of the Advance TLX

Now about that I4 TLX - talk about a fine car at a great value - wow
lindros2 (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Did anyone consider the Kia Cadenza (Limited package) as a contender in this class? If not, why?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:39 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
Cadillac hands down.
Agreed on this. The Cadillac wins almost across the board (except maybe value?)
Old 08-31-2014, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel
If you can get the CTS for that price, go for it. Yesterday I drove my first TLX (admittedly an I4) and loved it - but I think the new CTS is in a different league, it's a true luxury sports sedan.

My wife had a second generation CTS for almost 7 years and loved it, and she currently has an ATS that we think is great. We considered the new CTS, but a little to big and costly (no big incentives at that time) for us. And the ATS is so light, compact and fun to drive. By the way, the interior is great and we've had no problems with CUE.

I'm only talking about the 2014 CTS with big mark-downs. The 2015 (at around MSRP) vs the 2015 V6 TLX may be a totally different value story. And it should be mentioned that the Luxury version of the CTS does not have all the features of the Advance TLX

what kind of deal did you get on the ATS? The only thing that puts me off about that car is the cheap gauges .
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 PM
10th Gear

Clarify

Originally Posted by wlkeel

Thanks!

I should clarify that I was able to get that quote because I have a legacy discount from my dad on top of the incentives (GM retiree). I like the CTS' look but to get it within sniffing distance of the TLX-tech I had to go from the base MSRP $46 to $53 (sunroof, lane keeping assist, and 18 inch wheels)

I still have a few months remaining on my lease so there's a good chance Cadillac may get even more desperate near the end of the year or Acura may be more willing to cut a deal on the TLX.

That said I'm dialed in on these two cars but GM's quality still worries me.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Did anyone consider the Kia Cadenza (Limited package) as a contender in this class? If not, why?
I admit I have a hard time getting over the kia thing as I've driven a lot of kia rentals. I realize I need to be more open minded but I'm not there yet.

The Lexus es 300h just went up a point on my score card as the 2015 model GPS now does full address with 1 button press voice command - e.g. 1200 main street, new port beach, CA. Not street number, street, city, state, country, planet... like the accord/acura. Now I just need them to offer a model without the stupid wood steering wheel and we have a winner.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Black

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Agreed on this. The Cadillac wins almost across the board (except maybe value?)
And CUE sucks.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Black

That said I'm dialed in on these two cars but GM's quality still worries me.
After spending nearly $50k on a 2014 MDX quality, GM would be light years ahead.

I'll save you, but every facet of the MDX has been utter rubbish, from low rent plastics to mismatched colors, failed navigation system, unusable rear seat entertainment, and random suspension bolts not properly tightened.

Even the emblem was misapplied by some special needs employee. They would have been terminated on the spot in Japan, Germany, or Korea.

QA? Doubtful.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 AM
10th Gear

Surprised

After spending nearly $50k on a 2014 MDX quality, GM would be light years ahead.

I'll save you, but every facet of the MDX has been utter rubbish, from low rent plastics to mismatched colors, failed navigation system, unusable rear seat entertainment, and random suspension bolts not properly tightened.

Even the emblem was misapplied by some special needs employee. They would have been terminated on the spot in Japan, Germany, or Korea.

QA? Doubtful.
Really?? Surprised! I have had no problems whatsoever fit/finish, etc... With my TSX other than the usual -- wind/road noise and horrible/dated navigation system. I was told (by the salesman of course) that if I thought Acura's system was bad the other car models were much worse.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

QA? Doubtful.
You obviously had an outlier in quality, and unless you have been living under a rock for the past 40 years you know that. You show five other Acuras in you sig, how were they in quality?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
You obviously had an outlier in quality, and unless you have been living under a rock for the past 40 years you know that. You show five other Acuras in you sig, how were they in quality?
Goto the 3G MDX forums - the MDX has not been exceptionally reliable like you'd expect from an Acura. I hope it is 1st year model issue and the fact that they moved production from Canada to Alabama - hopefully Acura corrects any issues.

My 2014 MDX which I took delivery of on 8/26 had to go in for service twice (8/27 and 8/29) - once for off center steering and once for an adjustment to the hood latch because the car's alarm wouldn't arm thinking the hood was open. I couldn't take the car home on the day I bought it because there was a piece of the roof molding that was "incorrectly installed" and the piece needed to be replaced.

At this point - the car seems fine and hopefully we'll get nothing but trouble free miles going forward, but it certainly wasn't a great first impression.

You'll find my experience to not be a unique one unfortunately with the 2014 MDX. I don't think the TLX will suffer from the same issues because it is continuing to be built in Ohio.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Goto the 3G MDX forums - the MDX has not been exceptionally reliable like you'd expect from an Acura. I hope it is 1st year model issue and the fact that they moved production from Canada to Alabama - hopefully Acura corrects any issues.

My 2014 MDX which I took delivery of on 8/26 had to go in for service twice (8/27 and 8/29) - once for off center steering and once for an adjustment to the hood latch because the car's alarm wouldn't arm thinking the hood was open. I couldn't take the car home on the day I bought it because there was a piece of the roof molding that was "incorrectly installed" and the piece needed to be replaced.

At this point - the car seems fine and hopefully we'll get nothing but trouble free miles going forward, but it certainly wasn't a great first impression.

You'll find my experience to not be a unique one unfortunately with the 2014 MDX. I don't think the TLX will suffer from the same issues because it is continuing to be built in Ohio.
I'll concede that I don't know of the MDX specific problems, but his post seemed to say that GM has better quality than Acura. As a generalization, that would be a pretty far-fetched notion. Like I said, outliers.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Black

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Yeah outlier - look at the MDX forums, bud. And Acura has recently taken heat - came in last out of 21 brands on satisfaction and JD Power is seeing terrible reviews from Acura owners.

The other Acuras were great. 2004 TL was surprisingly good from Ohio; Japanese cars were awesome (RL, TSX); 2008 RDX was an odd duck but great quality and 2011 MDX was really something special.

The 2014 MDX will be my last. 2014 TSX deal (mother) fell through over $590.

Quick Reply: For those on the fence, what other cars at this price range are you considering?