2006 RL Tranny started whining last week - worse now

Old 05-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 RL Tranny started whining last week - worse now

Hi All

I've been searching the posts for something related to the noise I'm hearing in my RL recently. This one seemed close, but not exact:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/transmission-whine-something-else-801091/

Basically, last week I started hearing a faint whine noise from about 20mph to 60mph. Here are the particulars:
  1. Has gotten louder as the week has gone on.
  2. Sounds like a turbo charger almost.
  3. Doesn't matter if acceleration is hard or soft (although high rpms does drown out the noise a bit.
  4. I don't hear it after 60mph or so presumably because wind noise has taken over
  5. The whine increases with speed
  6. The whine does NOT care what gear it is in. I've tested with manually using all gears.
  7. If I take off the gas pedal, the whine almost immediately stops. Gliding produces no noise.

The car shifts flawlessly with no discernible issues. I do have 187K miles on the car, but this noise just cropped up last week....and as mentioned, has gotten worse. I've attached a 15 second clip (.wav that is zipped) where the noise gets particularly noticeable around the 10-14 second mark. I'm hoping one of you might be able to say "a-ha, it is ____"

Thanks all in advance!

Take Care>>>Dustin
Attached Files
File Type: zip
My recording #1.zip (460.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Sounds like a drive shaft bearing issue. Sorry to say, this is an expensive repair as driveshaft needs replacing.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Thanks rlerman. I also found this link corroborating your assessment:
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...e-else-142420/

I also found this video thanks to your assessment which contains the noise I'm having (although he says "caused by a bad propeller shaft center support bearing":

Any further thoughts?
Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Ouch:
Part Number Image Description Year Model List Price Our Price Click to Buy
40540-SJA-000 PROTECTOR, PROPELLER SHAFT (NO.1) 2006 RL 17.40 13.05 Qty:
40100-SJA-E02 SHAFT ASSY., PROPELLER 2006 RL 2089.00 1566.75 Qty:
Old 05-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlerman
Sounds like a drive shaft bearing issue. Sorry to say, this is an expensive repair as driveshaft needs replacing.
Any chance this bearing can be purchased separately and pressed on? Someone had to make the part for Acura - I'm wondering if there's an aftermarket replacement (or the same part available on a different vehicle)?

Thoughts?
Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofbytes
Any chance this bearing can be purchased separately and pressed on? Someone had to make the part for Acura - I'm wondering if there's an aftermarket replacement (or the same part available on a different vehicle)?

Thoughts?
Unfortunately, no. It is sold as one giant piece. Definitely sounds like prop shaft bearing going out though.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the same sound from my car 3 months ago, the dealer replaced the drive shaft, total 3k, it was covered by acuracare.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Burning Brakes

This is a known problem, try to get Acura to help you.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Instructor

Thanks rlerman. I think I've got a better shot at winning the lottery although if you don't play you can't win.

That said, my car is 8 years old with 187K miles. Also the stealership in my area is cursed with crooks that work behind the service counter. The mechanics are generally good and I like the service manager, but alas, I cannot get access to him.

I wish I had access to the Tech Bulletin site. There's a link to the tech bulletin for my problem, but I get access denied....they pulled the bulletin out of view of the common folk :<(
Old 05-28-2014, 06:34 AM
Instructor

This was the bulletin I was thinking of:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B080500.PDF
Old 05-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
It is still worth a call to Acura Care. Don't leave the issue open ended. Tell them you have the prop shaft bearing issue. If they need a dealer's diagnosis, tell them the situation with your dealer and your distrust. They have come through more than once with 50% of the bill. Keep in mind that dealers are independent businesses that don't always reflect Acura. Acura Care is the corporate customer service department, and they can hand down directions that dealers wouldn't dream of. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Hi All,

I found an updated link to the service bulletin that actually works. This is the May 2008 issue and the problem is on Page 3:
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B080500.PDF

Thanks 007spy - I contacted them and asked for my northeast region parts and service manager whose name is Bill Brent. If anyone has any dealings with him, I'd be happy to hear them, the good, bad and ugly.
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
titomang (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

This won't be helpful, but the fact you went 187k miles and it's only now showing up is pretty remarkable. You can't be mad at acura for this as cars of that mileage often need significant repairs. I'd say you'd be looking at around $2k, not that bad really given the mileage. If this is all you've encountered along the way, you have done well.

Your car is probably worth only about $5k with that mileage, tough choice to fix it, live with it or move into something else. I'd probably choose to live with it.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

^Agreed (except KBB says $7-8k). From what I have heard about the shaft issue, I would turn up the volume on the stereo. We have never seen a catastrophic failure documented here.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (07-24-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Thanks RLerman,

I'm certainly not mad. But they can't escape the fact that there is a trend on these and other boards as well as a service bulletin for a known problem. The fact that they made these things 'unserviceable' does put more onus on Acura to make sure this stuff works. This should really be a $150 bearing and 2 hours labor.

That said, I don't know the history of the propeller shaft as I bought it CPO a few years ago. Maybe it was replaced once already - don't know.

The way I see it, they can earn my future business by replacing the part and keeping me loyal - I've seen some people pay $200 or $400 as part of the goodwill....I'd be happy with that.

The new RLX does nothing for me and I don't see myself in a new one of those - maybe something else CPO. If Acura takes care of this, they'd almost assuredly get another sale from me. My wife drives an MDX as well so there is a pattern of loyalty.

I guess it's simple - admit the known issue, admit the $1600 price tag is too expensive for a bearing failure, and do right - goodwill it. This job should be no more than $300 or $400 in traditional cars.

Perhaps they'll see their way to good willing it :>)
Old 05-28-2014, 03:31 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you hear any kind of whine at start up or just once you're driving? My issue is similar but I can hear a slight whine when the car is started. Also, I'm starting to feel some a little grind when turning and accelerating from a stop.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigBlueWolf
Do you hear any kind of whine at start up or just once you're driving? My issue is similar but I can hear a slight whine when the car is started. Also, I'm starting to feel some a little grind when turning and accelerating from a stop.
Strictly driving - from about 15mph to 65mph before the noise gets drowned out by the wind. Very pronounced and is no longer faint. RPMs don't matter, gear doesn't matter.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks RLerman,

I'm certainly not mad. But they can't escape the fact that there is a trend on these and other boards as well as a service bulletin for a known problem. The fact that they made these things 'unserviceable' does put more onus on Acura to make sure this stuff works. This should really be a $150 bearing and 2 hours labor.

That said, I don't know the history of the propeller shaft as I bought it CPO a few years ago. Maybe it was replaced once already - don't know.

The way I see it, they can earn my future business by replacing the part and keeping me loyal - I've seen some people pay $200 or $400 as part of the goodwill....I'd be happy with that.

The new RLX does nothing for me and I don't see myself in a new one of those - maybe something else CPO. If Acura takes care of this, they'd almost assuredly get another sale from me. My wife drives an MDX as well so there is a pattern of loyalty.

I guess it's simple - admit the known issue, admit the $1600 price tag is too expensive for a bearing failure, and do right - goodwill it. This job should be no more than $300 or $400 in traditional cars.

Perhaps they'll see their way to good willing it :>)
These are all good points, no arguments from me. If anything was done, Acura would have a record of it since it was likely done under warranty.

I'd stress the loyalty you've shown, but at the same time, your has 187k on it, so acura may feel this is different than the standard bearing issue as these show up much earlier in the cars life, usually around 60-70k.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:56 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strictly driving - from about 15mph to 65mph before the noise gets drowned out by the wind. Very pronounced and is no longer faint. RPMs don't matter, gear doesn't matter.
My wife just got home with the car...time to test drive and compare our sound to others.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the whine at 112k miles. Turned out to be the power steering pump and hose. Hose was replaced via recall and pump replacement was $260 installed. No more whine.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by alaxgoaly8
I had the whine at 112k miles. Turned out to be the power steering pump and hose. Hose was replaced via recall and pump replacement was $260 installed. No more whine.
I posted a zip file in the beginning of the post that has the sound. Take a listen and see if it sounds like yours. More than a few others have confirmed the sound to be the propeller shaft....
Old 05-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I would expect a power steering whine to be present at idle and RPM dependent since it is run on off of the engine.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
if we are discussing repeated problem, my 2008 RL had the Driveshaft problem in 2009, was replaced 30K mils on the car, now 60K miles was replaced again.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

We don't see many 2008s with the issue nor repeated issues.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought that i have this problem with the whining sound, but after seeing the video i am convinced that is not the case with my car.Mine is more like very high pitching noise coming from the speakers,but once i let go off the gas it goes away.The car doesnt do it all the time though,very sporadic occurring noise.I can't seem to narrow it down to what speed and rpm is this happening.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
The 11-002 bulletin on this prop shaft whine applies to all 05-10 RL's
Old 07-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Replaced Propeller Shaft with salvage shaft

OK, so I bought a salvage propeller shaft from Tom's Foreign Parts. Had it installed yesterday.

The whine still exists - although it's slightly quieter, but not much.

My mechanic (not Acura mechanic) says it could be something in the transfer case or the rear diff, but really difficult to pin down. He also said he could put it on the lift and run it, but thinks there may not be enough torque on the system to generate the whine with the wheels just suspended in the air. Also, he said it could be a similar issue with the salvage shaft.

Sigh....was hoping to get rid of the whine.....
Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 AM
Instructor

Update:

Had the stealership diagnose the whine. They're claiming it's the transmission bearings and have quoted $4200 to replace the transmission. They said it was about 15 hours of labor which leaves about $2700 for the transmission.

To be fair, the mechanic said to run it until it dies. He said it was shifting fine.

So 3 questions:
  1. If I choose to run it 'til it dies, is there any special fluid I can use in the tranny? Maybe an additive?
  2. Should I choose to go to something like an AAMCO to have it rebuilt? (I'm thinking no way)
  3. Has anyone swapped tranny's with a used one or a rebuilt one?

I"m near Portsmouth NH and am willing to travel a little bit for an Acura transmission expert, especially with the RL. I'm looking at all options here....

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Try a honda dealer. Part and labor will be cheaper.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlerman
Try a honda dealer. Part and labor will be cheaper.
RLerman - you must be prescient. I drove up to Canada today and had a major malfunction of the tranny. The closet Acura dealer up here is 120 miles away and I had to stop at the Honda dealer 2 miles away :>)

Here's the story and I'm wondering if you or anyone can opine as to what is happening (besides the fact that I probably need a new tranny)
  1. Drove about 370 miles and then all of a sudden, while on cruise control, the car downshifted into 3rd gear and stayed there.
  2. While on the highway, I put the car in "manual mode", but neither the + or - shifting would work, nor would the paddle shifters work.
  3. Also, while in manual mode, the area which shows the number of the gear you're in was blacked out - no display.
  4. When getting off the exit ramp, the car seemed to downshift normally from 3rd to second then to first.
  5. When continuing to the Honda dealership closest to me, the car shifted more harshly one time.
  6. Luckily I only had 2 or so miles to go. I stopped at a Honda dealership (no acura dealer within 120 or so miles) locally - service was closed so I am scheduling an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow or Wednesday.
  7. When leaving the dealership, I put the car into reverse and it took much longer than normal to engage - went to my hotel.
  8. I checked into my hotel room, went back down to the car and started it again. This time, I put it into Manual mode and the display showed "1" (properly)
  9. So, I know I'm on borrowed time with the transmission. However, I got the sense the computer took control and put the car into a sort of limp home mode. After being shut off for 10 or 15 minutes, it was like it reset itself.

Thoughts?
Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Instructor

OK, so the Honda dealer recommended I go to a transmission shop nearby. They were apparently daunted by the task. But they were super nice and didn't charge me for the inspection - a nice touch.

I went to Jensen's Powertrain and they said worse case $2800 (Canadian). So I'm going to do that.

Incidentally, the person at Jensen's was excellent to deal with and work with. Very knowledgeable. He diagnosed the problem, sourced a used tranny in Toronto. He was also going to rip apart my tranny today to find out the cause and see if my old one is rebuild-able. I'll post back tomorrow with results.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd much rather go with a rebuild than used. We've done that a couple of times on different cars over the years. Last time we had a used one installed to try to save a little and it wound up having problems so we had to have one rebuilt anyway and pay for the install labor twice.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Instructor

I appreciate that input velobard. And I concur. The transmission guy, Steven, told me his last Acura tranny repair required parts that were 2 months backordered from Japan. Needless to say I cannot wait 2 months.

He did say that, if he needed to go with the salvage tranny (90% certain he will have to), then he'd make sure all the parts were as good as they could be and he'd do all the rebuilding he could - that included ordering parts if they'd come in at a reasonable timeframe - 2 months is not reasonable.

I do appreciate your comments - it's good to get that experience out there.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

There are rebuilt trannys for sale. Why not buy one of those? Two members have done that since I joined.

I agree about being wary of salvaged drivetrain parts. When I hit the side of a Tundra going only ~35 mph, EVERYTHING experienced some major forces along the midline of the car (direction of the driveshaft). I would find it hard to believe that between the rear diff and the flywheel that nothing was compromised. If the chassis experienced enough force to bend and total a car, I would question the tranny that comes out of it. Also, be careful of any cars killed by Hurricane Sandy. A lot of RLs ended up in the NE.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
My

If you guys have this kind of money to chase a noise in a car with diminishing value that, 1. you don't know exactly what it is and 2. we have no proof that its terminal, then you may want to consider better investments.

:/rant:
Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
My

If you guys have this kind of money to chase a noise in a car with diminishing value that, 1. you don't know exactly what it is and 2. we have no proof that its terminal, then you may want to consider better investments.

:/rant:
Well, it was either $3000 for a rebuilt tranny or $30K for a new CPO RL. I did look into that - and I even got approved by American Honda to buy a new one.

But I spent too much money on my landscaping this year, so the $3000 seemed like path of least resistance.

The tranny is toast, that much I know. At least I've got a good feeling about the transmission shop it's at.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

fair enough sir... but you still have a 5-6k car with a 3k tranny which may also be on borrowed time.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Instructor

True, true - but the tranny will have a 100K mileage warranty and I run my cars into the ground anyway. If I can milk another year or two for $3000, then it's worth it.

I also had just put new tires, brakes, rotors, and other maintenance into it.

I weighed the pros and cons - but I do love the car. This was one of my backout plans:
http://mulleracuraofmerrillville.com...-Car/29391179/

Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

thats a fine plan B sir.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Thanks Heavy - there's something about paying approximately 1/2 price for a 3yr old car with 30K miles that IS appealing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 RL Tranny started whining last week - worse now