Cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TL on "20"
He show me his 2004 Tl and told me that his car was always in the sun and have never appear a crack!!
That's such bs. It should be irrelevant how many cars it happens to. Even if your car is the only one on the planet it happens to, if you are under warranty, it should be covered. What next, are they going to point out a TL with a working tranny and try to say that your tranny isn't covered either?

And the argument that a dash is a trim piece is bs too. You can drive without decorative trim pieces. Try to pass inspection without a dash. Wouldn't be surprised if they tell you that a padded dash is a piece of safety equipment required by law.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donomar16
That was the same BS that Mr. Malaret told me at the dealer I have to wait two weeks and that was on March 2 and I'm still waiting for the notification.

Why you haven't call ????
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by avs007
That's such bs. It should be irrelevant how many cars it happens to. Even if your car is the only one on the planet it happens to, if you are under warranty, it should be covered. What next, are they going to point out a TL with a working tranny and try to say that your tranny isn't covered either?

And the argument that a dash is a trim piece is bs too. You can drive without decorative trim pieces. Try to pass inspection without a dash. Wouldn't be surprised if they tell you that a padded dash is a piece of safety equipment required by law.
That is what i told him, he told me that it was a cosmetic issue and it doesn't affect the performance of the car !! i will wait the 2 weeks and start to call untill the Dash gets replace !!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Instructor

My dash keeps getting worse, still dont have an answer form Acura, but im sure they are going to want to charge me $500+ for the labor. 2 people at $10 p/h for working on the dash for 8 hours = $160 labor. ofcourse, they want to make a 300% on the labor also. Greedy Acura dealerships... Here is a picture of the progress of my dash, keepos getting worse over time:

Keep in touch guys

Best,

Rolan
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 PM
onyX.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^ i have the same problem as you guys but here is my story and maybe any one could help me out.... i do not find no trace of having no updated extended coverage from acura but how ever i have a card from carmax that covers the car until 85,xxx miles. i bought the car from a local dealership cash, and i have the same problem plus some other (steering wheel inner light buttons won't turn on) can i claim that warranty even though i didnt buy it, was the previous owner. or i have a better chance n taking it to the dealer and paying for it ?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

Came right now from acura and im not please they only took pictures and told me that my car was 53,000 miles and was out of warranty and that i was not the original owner !!! I told him that I know of people in US that have them replace for free by good will. He told me that that people have buy several Acuras !! That is Crap that means that i have to buy 3 acuras to get a good service????

He show me his 2004 Tl and told me that his car was always in the sun and have never appear a crack!! I told him is obvious that not all TL's will have it !! I told him that i only want the part and i will pay the installation. and he told me that the only thing he can do is to send the pictures to US and they will tell him if they will cover the dash. and that i will have to wait at least 2 weeks.

He coment me that Acura was aware of the problem and they are investigating tha Dash!! today another friend call me and told me that his dash was starting to crack!! All of you that have this problem you have to stay calling and pushing them to do something!!

The most thing that bothers me is that he ask me how the Dash affect me ???? And i told him that this was a $46,000 car and every day i drive it i have to see the dash crack like and old car !!!

I am thinking of writing to Acura or start a law suit. !!
I've had 2 Hondas, a TSX and now the TL (original owner) and they are giving me the same hard time. I say we should start a Class Action lawsuit! This is ridiculous.

DonOmar: He is never going to call you. You are the one who has to call him, he is very inept. I've been having problems with him since October 08. My dashboard began cracking when it had 36K miles.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the cracks are all on the exact same places and they have the same shape.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sagreba32
I've had 2 Hondas, a TSX and now the TL (original owner) and they are giving me the same hard time. I say we should start a Class Action lawsuit! This is ridiculous.

DonOmar: He is never going to call you. You are the one who has to call him, he is very inept. I've been having problems with him since October 08. My dashboard began cracking when it had 36K miles.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the cracks are all on the exact same places and they have the same shape.
its obvious that is a defect there is one crack that is at the same place of all cars. Since the 1st second i hear malaret talk i hate his attitude i will call him on monday in only want the dash in will paid for labor but if i have problems i am willing to start a lawsuit if i have backup.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura in my oppinion should recall the dash in the 3rd gen TL because so many of them are cracking or have the low spot over the passenger airbag like mine, or are so oxidised that they have that chalky look to them. Will they. Don't know. Warranty doesnt pay much to replace the dash in the TL, and it's a big job. Everything up front has to come out and the Tech's may not want to do it. Might be why the dealer doesnt want to replace it. I saw one get replaced when I worked at the dealer. Not a pretty site with that car all apart.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Instructor

There is a Group on facebook regarding this matter please join our group.

Search -> Acura TL Defective Dash

Join and invite everyone you know. We need to let the word out. put some preasure on Acura.

best,

Rolan
Old 07-19-2009, 08:33 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
This issue is rediculous. I can't even believe they designd it so air-bag has to bust through the dash anyways...

BTW: The replacment dash is avaialbe to you and I direct from AcuraOEMParts.com for only five hundred and some dollars. Don't let the dealer tell you it cost more. That is a retail price, not expressing any dealer discount...

The $1200 that Acura offered one user should have EASILY covered ALL MATERIEALS AND LABOR!!!!

Fuking rediculous!!!

77120-SEP-A02ZA - PANEL, INSTRUMENT ( GRAPHITE BLACK ) - 2005 TL - $570.47
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

This includes everything circled by number 6 in this pic:

Nothing else should have to be replaced except #10 which is only $9 more... lol

Last edited by 94eg!; 07-19-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Instructor

There is now a group on FACEBOOK Regarding this matter.

We need everyone here to JOIN.

Please JOIN and Invite everyone you know to join!

We need to put some preasure on acura.

Group Name in Facebook is: Acura TL defective Dash - Consumer Rights

SEARC and JOIN, JOIN, JOIN !!!!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Cruisin'

Good info!!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
wtf would acura design it so that the airbag needs to break the dash to deploy. Do you get shards of hard plastic flying at you?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
I may have posted this link in here before, but here's my thread I made explaining everything that I went through to get my dash fixed.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/my-cracked-dashboard-ordeal-730775/

I'm pretty sure that I had the worst dash cracking out of anybody thats posted so far. It was gross.

To sum it all up, Acura said it was a $2000 job. I ended up paying about $560. Bullshit if you ask me.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Instructor

finally got around taking some pictures, I also joined the facebook group and i'm also backing up anyone who is starting the lawsuit.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:53 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
shoulda tinted ur winshield!!!

did i????????????
Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
A cracked dash is likely indicative of a structural issue underneath the dash. There are stress concentration points right where the dash started to crack, which seemed to be near the front windshield.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rolan04tl
There is now a group on FACEBOOK Regarding this matter.

We need everyone here to JOIN.

Please JOIN and Invite everyone you know to join!

We need to put some preasure on acura.

Group Name in Facebook is: Acura TL defective Dash - Consumer Rights

SEARC and JOIN, JOIN, JOIN !!!!!!
I added like 6 pictures from my car and other, but we have to get more users and comment of our problems, also we should write to acura!!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Instructor

someone should forward this thread to acura along with a letter regarding this problem. I'm not paying a dime to fix a part that is clearly defective.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
A cracked dash is likely indicative of a structural issue underneath the dash. There are stress concentration points right where the dash started to crack, which seemed to be near the front windshield.
I have a dash in my office. There are metal supports / screws attached directly to the dash around the passenger airbag & gauge cluster housing where the cracks begin. I think what's occurring is the dash heats up along with the underlying metal supports.. because the variance in the thermal expansion between the materials.. the material weakens at those points and eventually results in a crack.. from there it has become so compromised that even road shock elevates the cracks.. a real downhill slope.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by eso.teric
someone should forward this thread to acura along with a letter regarding this problem. I'm not paying a dime to fix a part that is clearly defective.

Yes but we have to join more members to the face book page and comments of our problems. We only have 4 members so please join !!!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
just putin this out there. UV rays are a very big contributor to a cracked dash now i understand on a new car that shouldn't happen so fast, but who knows. what i'm saying is that without good hard evidence that it's a major defect, they can easily clain that it's due to natural causes (i.e. too much sun exposure)

I've had the same garbage tossed on me with other warranty stuff. they'll take your money in a flash, but when it's time to uphold their end "it's not our fault, and we aren't responsible." That's the comment that made me have them refund all my warranty's at once, and i paid cash for my car so i got three nice fat checks in the mail.

someone is going to have to dismantle the whole thing, determine the cause of the problem, document it well, and probably have to have it honda tech certified.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
just putin this out there. UV rays are a very big contributor to a cracked dash now i understand on a new car that shouldn't happen so fast, but who knows. what i'm saying is that without good hard evidence that it's a major defect, they can easily clain that it's due to natural causes (i.e. too much sun exposure)

I've had the same garbage tossed on me with other warranty stuff. they'll take your money in a flash, but when it's time to uphold their end "it's not our fault, and we aren't responsible." That's the comment that made me have them refund all my warranty's at once, and i paid cash for my car so i got three nice fat checks in the mail.

someone is going to have to dismantle the whole thing, determine the cause of the problem, document it well, and probably have to have it honda tech certified.
UV rays heat up the dash as the rays are absorbed. It's the design that causes the cracks. The proof is that everyone has the same cracks start in the same area. Either above the gauge cluster / around the seam of the passenger airbag / adjacent from the passenger airbag where an underlying screw support is.. A Honda tech won't do anything to validate the issue unless they testify to the number of issues that they are presented with. A class action lawsuit with expert testimony would probably be the only way that corporate would recognize the issue.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
I have a dash in my office. There are metal supports / screws attached directly to the dash around the passenger airbag & gauge cluster housing where the cracks begin. I think what's occurring is the dash heats up along with the underlying metal supports.. because the variance in the thermal expansion between the materials.. the material weakens at those points and eventually results in a crack.. from there it has become so compromised that even road shock elevates the cracks.. a real downhill slope.
There has to be stress concentration points that is causing it to crack. Either the dash heats up waaaaaaaaaay more than Acura (Honda) had predicted, or however the dash is attached to the car is basically ripping the dash apart (kind of like gripping it from the Tweeters and pulling outward).

I would be interested in knowing what metal is used to attach the dash and what dash materials are used. I could then find the coefficient of thermal expansion.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Well after going round and round with Acura client services and the dealer I still have a beautifully cracked dash. However, I can let them fix it for $2k LOL, or have them patch it for $200. My crack is in the same spot as evreryone elses, around the passenger airbag. As far as the patch goes, they say that it will be noticeable where the patch is and I must sign a waiver stating that Im aware that the airbag may not work properly in an accident. How nice. Ill be joining the facebook page and hopefully if we get enough people we can get Acura to do something about this.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Instructor

join the FACEBOOK group "Acura TL Defective dash"

JOIN and Invite all your Facebook friends to join.

ACURA Will hear from us!!

JOIN, JOIN, JOIN!! INVITE FRIENDS!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Quote from Bryan Loeffler

Just spoke to Client Services at Acura. The rep. said they have had no complaints yet of dash boards cracking...so start calling.

In the United States

Acura Client Services Office
Mail Stop 500-2N-7E
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, California 90501-2746
(800) 382-2238
In Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands

Bella International Corp.
C-1 Bechara St. Segarra Corner
Puerto Nuevo, Puerto Rico 00920
(787) 620-7028

We have to start calling !!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 293 Likes on 141 Posts
I hope you all get this resolved without paying a penny..

Joined the facebook group just for support!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eso.teric
finally got around taking some pictures, I also joined the facebook group and i'm also backing up anyone who is starting the lawsuit.

oh my!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm probably the only TSX that has a crack in the dashboard. First, the outline of the airbag break-away points started appearing (it's H-shaped). Then, after a few weeks, a crack started forming along one of those lines. It's only an inch, and I brought my TSX in. The dealer is swapping out my entire dashboard with a brand new one. My car's actually in the dealership right now for the next 3 days (they have to tear everything apart I guess). I guess I get to drive the brand new 2009 TSX loaner for a couple of more days...

I hope you guys get your dashboards fixed. It didn't bother me much because I couldn't see it from the driver's seat. However, the passenger had a clear view of the crack, and they always brought it to my attention.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Cruisin'

Quote from Bryan Loeffler

Just spoke to Client Services at Acura. The rep. said they have had no complaints yet of dash boards cracking...so start calling.

In the United States

Acura Client Services Office
Mail Stop 500-2N-7E
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, California 90501-2746
(800) 382-2238
In Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands

Bella International Corp.
C-1 Bechara St. Segarra Corner
Puerto Nuevo, Puerto Rico 00920
(787) 620-7028

We have to start calling !!!!
calling tomorrow and i just joined the facebook group. i will post pictures of my lovely crack in the same spot later.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xiteg
calling tomorrow and i just joined the facebook group. i will post pictures of my lovely crack in the same spot later.
Please let us know what they tell you !!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Instructor

well, there's a new crack forming on my dash. It going from the center speaker and moving towards the passenger airbag. I hope we can get Acura to do something about it before my dash looks something like this.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Instructor

bump.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:29 AM
FL 04 dgp TL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a crack on my dashboard also. i have a 2004 tl with 40k miles. brought it to acura. they checked with corporation bc my car was just out of the original warranty. but corporate approved and my dashboard was fixed for FREE!!!!!! they did me a favor bc technically i was over the warranty miles. they said don't use armor all on the dashboard bc it makes it harder and the sun make sit start cracking.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:05 AM
#1 Super Guy!

So we have one guy that used Armorall and the Dash cracked, and we have one guy that used nothing and his dash cracked. WTF?

I hope 303 is a better protectant cause that's what I'm using now. I just wish it didn't smell like BO...
Old 08-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Team Anthracite member

I have an 04 and have used 303 its entire life. Dash cracked last year on passenger side and above speedometer. Had it replaced under good customer one time deal replace. No questions no problem. Still using 303 to protect it as long as possible.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:10 PM
#1 Super Guy!

F'ing lame...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

well here is the pics i took of mine this morning. i do live in florida and even though my tl is 5 years old i still have a 93 integra with over 250k miles and the dash looks just as good as the day it rolled off the line. this is BS!! oh and btw i am still in the process of calling corporate. i will keep everyone updated. going to use the airbag as an excuse to get this thing replaced.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 PM

^ I may be wrong but it looks like yours cracked over the airbag not along it.. yikes.. if that's true that's a new one to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked dashboard in '04 TL