1999 TL Deactivate Alarm/pull the fuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 TL Deactivate Alarm/pull the fuse

Is there a way that I can deactivate the alarm on my car. I thought pulling the fuse, I checked engine bay could not find a fuse related to alarm. Checked the fuse box on passenger side. Removed the fuse for 'power lock', but I doubt this is the one.

Any help to deactivate is highly appreciated, because my alarm goes on from time to time. And last night it obviously went on and someone kicked the left from panel and made damage to the car. I could not even open the driver side door.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Any help on this?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
10th Gear

I used to have the same problem on my '99 TL, and so did a few other TL owners that I know. It is very annoying, especially when it goes off for no reason in the middle of the night. There is no separate fuse for the security system, and pulling the fuse for the power doors does deactivate the security system. Problem is that now you can't open your trunk from the outside, so it is not a convenient option - also, you don't have a security system with that fuse pulled.

I tried a couple of other things on my car - even changed remotes at one point - and nothing worked. Eventually I discovered that if I manually locked the driver's door with the key, and not the remote, then the alarm did not go off unexpectedly (the security system is armed once the doors are locked). I have been doing that for about 2 years now with no false alarms.

Ironically, on my last visit to my dealer a couple months ago for maintenance the technician did a test drive and locked the car with the remote - a few minutes later the alarm went off. The technician decided to disconnect the hood switch because he had seen the same problem before and that fixed it (apparently the hood switch malfunctions). When I picked up the car I told them to leave it disconnected. Purely out of habit, I still lock my doors with the key. One way or the other, touch wood the problem has not resurfaced.

I would suggest you check with your dealer/mechanic and have them disconnect the hood switch - or if you are handy, you could do it yourself. Good luck - it's a very annoying problem.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Advanced

NipenTL, thanks a lot. I was going crazy to understand what is wrong with it.

It is extremely annoying, and because of this someone ruined my car's front left quarter. The stupid person obviously tought kicking it may stop the alarm. When I open the passenger door this morning, it made it even worse by smashing the panel...

Yes, I cannot use the trunk without the fuse. I will put the fuse back and will try to find a way to disconnect the hood switch. The hood handle feels weird anyway. Until disconnecting, I will follow your method, lock it with the key.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks NIPEN that really helps me, I have been having the issue on my 01' it's gone off at 4am once and at another time 2am, so now I leave the car unlocked, in my neighborhood that's fine but when I go down to Cleveland area, I'd rather have it locked=\.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Yeah the hood latch is a common issue on our car.

If you want to replace it, here are the details.

Part #: 74120-S0K-A01 (will run you ~$70)

Part grouping #5 (bottom left of image)
Old 10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Is it what I need to clean? Hood switch or sensor that makes alarm go off => #5
Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

This has been very helpful. The alarm in my 2000 TL went off in a motel in St Louis at 3 am on New Years day. We thought it was related to temperature as the thermometer was a chilly minus 2 degrees. After an hour of reading the manual and 3 unsuccessful attempts to fix (by then most of the motel guests were awakened), we packed up and headed home (to the delight of motel owner). This morning I read your fix to manually lock the doors from the driver door and so far this has silenced the alarm system. I will pass this fix on to the local dealer on Monday, who was clueless when I called him from the road.
Many thanks!
elliomik
Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
great input guys. good for future reference
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To Deactivate the Factory Install Alarm System 1999

Have this annoying intermittent issue with my 1999 TL. Dealer told me that they could deactivate the system but bring it in so they could test when it activated. Wanted to charge me for a code test and then go from their. I did some research in my Acura service manual and listened to various folks on different web sites including this one. I first solved the noise issue by disconnecting the alarm horn which is in the engine compartment and sits on the driver side behind the air intake. Next I went to the fuse box that some said is where the really problem was. Three were three fuses in a black plastic box that sits just above the brake fluid reservoir on the drivers side in the engine compartment. I removed the gray fuse (RC-5102), the one closest to the passenger compartment. At this time I have no alarm issue. My key fob opens and locks the doors and the security light flashes in the door when I have locked it so it looks like it is armed. The panic button will not activate the alarm system with this fuse removed. I believe this is the Rub Goldberg fix that we all were looking for. Send me an e-mail and I will seen you photos of the black fuse box that I mentioned. Will continue to monitor and hopeful this works.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sabar3
Have this annoying intermittent issue with my 1999 TL. Dealer told me that they could deactivate the system but bring it in so they could test when it activated. Wanted to charge me for a code test and then go from their. I did some research in my Acura service manual and listened to various folks on different web sites including this one. I first solved the noise issue by disconnecting the alarm horn which is in the engine compartment and sits on the driver side behind the air intake. Next I went to the fuse box that some said is where the really problem was. Three were three fuses in a black plastic box that sits just above the brake fluid reservoir on the drivers side in the engine compartment. I removed the gray fuse (RC-5102), the one closest to the passenger compartment. At this time I have no alarm issue. My key fob opens and locks the doors and the security light flashes in the door when I have locked it so it looks like it is armed. The panic button will not activate the alarm system with this fuse removed. I believe this is the Rub Goldberg fix that we all were looking for. Send me an e-mail and I will seen you photos of the black fuse box that I mentioned. Will continue to monitor and hopeful this works.
My 2001 CL black box has 4 relays, 2 grey, 2 black.removing any and even all did not disarm my panic button. Alarm still worked. When my alarm goes off by itself the immobilizer stays on. I let the car sit with the battery disconnected for hours and when I returned the immobilizer (green key on dash)was off. Otherwise it sometimes does not go off. I got it to go off once by removing the ground cable and touching it to the post many many times. Finally the clicking relays or solenoid stopped. Is there a relay that might be defective and is sticking? The alarm goes off whenever it feels like it, mostly middle of the night. I would like to disarm the alarm. Is that possible?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2020, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear

Alarm issues

Originally Posted by sabar3