3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-037: DIY Gear Position Sensor Replacement (aka "transmission range switch")

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
C-037: DIY Gear Position Sensor Replacement (aka "transmission range switch")

Here's a quick DIY for anyone looking to replace their gear position sensor. Prior to replacement I've been having some odd transmission activity and it wasn't until I searched around here (thanks alexb92!) that I was able to pinpoint the cause.

Symptoms (as experienced by me)
  • While driving, the D light would turn off and the transmission would subsequently downshift.
  • While driving, the D light would periodically blink.
  • While driving, and in tiptronic mode, the gear number would begin to flash.
  • Putting the transmission into neutral and back into gear would fix any of the above symptoms.
It was to the point where at least one of the above symptoms would take place at least once during each driving session. I'm happy to say that since replacement, none of them have returned.

Time required: 15-30 minutes (depending on your tools)

Parts required:
  • 28900-RDG-013 SENSOR ASSY., POSITION
  • The part number for '04-'06 models is now 28900-RDG-023
    The part number for '07-'08 models is now 28900-RYF-023
Tools required:
  • Jack and safety stands
  • Tire iron
  • Socket wrench with 10mm socket
Steps
  1. Important: Ensure your car is in neutral. The replacement sensor is set to neutral and if your car is in park, you will have to adjust the sensor (unnecessary work) to park in order to install it. Just keep your car in neutral and it was be an easy swap.
  2. Jack up car on driver side and remove driver side wheel. Secure car with stands. Alternatively you can put your wheel under your car behind the jack for added safety if you don't have stands.
  3. Behind your driver side rotor, you will see the shroud that houses the gear position sensor. There are two 10mm bolts holding it in place; remove them.
    C-037: DIY Gear Position Sensor Replacement (aka "transmission range switch")-wvyzmsg.jpg
  4. After the shroud has been removed there are another two 10mm bolts and a harness holding the sensor in place; remove them.
    C-037: DIY Gear Position Sensor Replacement (aka "transmission range switch")-xes0tjl.jpg
  5. Grip the sensor on left and right sides; pull forward with effort.
    C-037: DIY Gear Position Sensor Replacement (aka "transmission range switch")-obvs5gh.jpg
  6. Install new sensor
    C-037: DIY Gear Position Sensor Replacement (aka "transmission range switch")-lcczh1r.jpg
  7. Reconnect harness, bolts, shroud and put your wheel back on.
  8. Pat yourself on the back for saving $XXX.XX in labour.

Last edited by thoiboi; 06-08-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Updated with new part numbers
The following 14 users liked this post by shtewps:
350 (04-28-2015), Acurafan86 (05-06-2014), Acura_Dude (07-24-2013), alexb92 (07-24-2013), Bleizge (06-19-2016), csmeance (12-27-2014), DuoDSG (05-06-2014), gunzur (03-21-2015), HEAVY_RL (11-21-2019), Hobbz160 (11-14-2014), johnny3 (07-24-2013), kingofbytes (07-15-2015), pvchowdary (08-23-2014), RRR (08-15-2017) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Very useful info for a rare and hard to diagnose problem! Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
1. How much did the part run?
2. Would this be a good "routine maintenance" replacement?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
nice diy!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
always wondered what that part was. i see it all the time doing various jobs.

for anyone wondering the part is around $60

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-par.../28900-rdg-013
Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lusid
1. How much did the part run?
2. Would this be a good "routine maintenance" replacement?
As posted earlier, its about $60. In my opinion, its not worth replacing as routine maintenance. If its faulty, you'll notice.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 AM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

^ Yeah I wouldn't call this 'routine' at all. As Alex said, when you get the symptoms, you'll know -- and you'll still be able to drive without much issue until you're able to fix it.
The following users liked this post:
alexb92 (07-24-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shtewps,

Thanks for the post. I have a 2002 TL S and am starting to have a strange issues with my transmission. Sometimes, maybe once a week, when I first drive the car, it will go into Neutral (as in engine revs, but the car does not move) when I make my first stop. When it does this, I can shift it to 1st gear and it will engage and be fine for the rest of the day in d5.

I had my transmission rebuilt about a year and a half ago so this is making me nervous. The thing is I don't get any check engine light, blinking lights or anything like what I say when my transmission went bad. I wonder if the transmission range switch could be the issue? Could I still pull a code if the check engine light does not come on?

Last edited by kamdog211; 12-03-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Hey Kam, no sweat. I'm not too sure about an 02 but I would assume that the diagnostic indicators would not be the same as far as your lights blinking or anything else that the car might be trying to tell you.

And in all honesty, I dont think any codes would be thrown when your range switch starts to malfunction. Again, this is speaking from experience with an 06.

You are reporting very similar symptoms though, and given the cost effectiveness and ease of this maintenance task, I'd say it's the best place to start!

Originally Posted by kamdog211
shtewps,

Thanks for the post. I have a 2002 TL S and am starting to have a strange issues with my transmission. Sometimes, maybe once a week, when I first drive the car, it will go into Neutral (as in engine revs, but the car does not move) when I make my first stop. When it does this, I can shift it to 1st gear and it will engage and be fine for the rest of the day in d5.

I had my transmission rebuilt about a year and a half ago so this is making me nervous. The thing is I don't get any check engine light, blinking lights or anything like what I say when my transmission went bad. I wonder if the transmission range switch could be the issue? Could I still pull a code if the check engine light does not come on?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So this is not the 3rd or 4th gear sensor switch right?

My had did this a few days ago for the first time.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 PM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Correct. This is the position sensor/range switch.

Originally Posted by DejaVu85
So this is not the 3rd or 4th gear sensor switch right?

My had did this a few days ago for the first time.
DejaVu85 (12-04-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by shtewps
Hey Kam, no sweat. I'm not too sure about an 02 but I would assume that the diagnostic indicators would not be the same as far as your lights blinking or anything else that the car might be trying to tell you.

And in all honesty, I dont think any codes would be thrown when your range switch starts to malfunction. Again, this is speaking from experience with an 06.

You are reporting very similar symptoms though, and given the cost effectiveness and ease of this maintenance task, I'd say it's the best place to start!
I had my buddy ask his Acura tech buddy and he said to just watch for again and see if any codes are thrown or a check engine light. There is really not much I can do until this becomes more consistent. Right now, it only happens maybe once a week and started with cold temps (not sure if that is related).
Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 AM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Yeah just keep monitoring it for now. I think that's a good idea too. Mine did the same thing whereas it happened once out of nowhere, then once a month, once a week, then every session.

Originally Posted by kamdog211
I had my buddy ask his Acura tech buddy and he said to just watch for again and see if any codes are thrown or a check engine light. There is really not much I can do until this becomes more consistent. Right now, it only happens maybe once a week and started with cold temps (not sure if that is related).
Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced mine. The car would slip out of D (Green D light would go off) while driving. The only way to fix it was put the car into neutral or sport mode and back into gear(D). Seemed to only happen after the car had been sitting for a few days. Haven't had the issue since I replaced the sensor. Easy job.

Last edited by faceman1; 12-06-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Pro

Bump for a rare issue that may cause people to think they will need a trans rebuild!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced

I think this gear position sensor is the culprit for my issues. It only happens maybe once every two weeks, when its cold and I have not driven the car for a while.

When I slow down and in first gear, the trans slips intro neutral(engine just revs). To resolve it, I shift from D5, to neutral, then back to D5 and car drives smooth for a few weeks.

This problem only happens when I first start driving the car. If I've driven for more than 2 minutes, it never happens. Maybe the cold is messing with the electronics?
efrainp (01-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2014, 12:05 AM
7th Gear

Has anyone heard of this switch causing starting/cranking issues. My '02 TLs has recently developed an issue where every now and again won't start/crank when I turn the key. At first I thought it might have been the battery, but after replacing the battery twice in one month, it still does that... Every now and then when I turn the key to start the car I get nothing. No crank. Not even a click from the starter but I have full power and all the light and electrics work. I have noticed that taking the car out of park first and then back into park does the trick most of the time. The last time this happened, I put the car in neutral and it cranked with full power on the first go. Since this doesn't happen all the time, the dealer can't diagnose the problem. I am tempted to change this switch to see what happens... Any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC I had to create an account with Acurazine just to give you thanks for creating this thread, i currently drive a 2004 TL and i was having this problem, i order the new part and install it and no problems drives like new again..

Thanks again, i am sure this has help other people and will continue to help others.. Thanks again.. I also plan to replace my 3 and 4th gear sensors next time i have some time.. My TL has 186k miles and going strong, not one rattle i love it..
Old 02-09-2014, 01:37 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by clubracerx
Has anyone heard of this switch causing starting/cranking issues. My '02 TLs has recently developed an issue where every now and again won't start/crank when I turn the key. At first I thought it might have been the battery, but after replacing the battery twice in one month, it still does that... Every now and then when I turn the key to start the car I get nothing. No crank. Not even a click from the starter but I have full power and all the light and electrics work. I have noticed that taking the car out of park first and then back into park does the trick most of the time. The last time this happened, I put the car in neutral and it cranked with full power on the first go. Since this doesn't happen all the time, the dealer can't diagnose the problem. I am tempted to change this switch to see what happens... Any thoughts?
I was having this problem on mine while i was having problems with the car coming off drive(because of that bad gear sensor), like you said the car will start fine everyday for weeks and then randomly will not start, unless i move the shifter with the key in the ignition away from park some and then the car will start every time..

I did replace my starter and it was fine for weeks and then randomly did it again so is not a starter issue.. I replace that Gear sensor just recently and it has been fine so far, i will come back here and give you an update.. but your best bet is to replace that gear sensor..
Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Just a heads up: for 07/08 Type-S models at least, the part number is different: 28900-RYF-023. The price is the same (~$60).

This seems to happen to me on days where I'm shifting between reverse and drive a lot, like when trying to parallel park, for example. It caused the "D" light to blink, the check engine light to come on (which disappears after a few startups), and a message on the nav screen at the first occurrence.

Last edited by bla8291; 05-05-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:19 AM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank You!!!

My 2004 developed some similar/unusual issues and no one could figure it out. If i was to lightly move the shifter during the blinking, the system appeared to reset. Sometimes a feeling of the neutral gear and on other occasions a sharp downshift. The back up lamps would turn off occasionally when this occurred in reverse gear. The car did it almost every time I drove it. I found this DIY months ago and replaced this on a "what the heck" adventure. The blinking D light and subsequent irregularities have not returned in ten months time. Thank you, OP!
Scottwax (11-15-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Great info.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
Great info.
Yep. When I posted about my similar issue, everyone told me I needed a transmission. I figured I'd replace this sensor and lo and behold it fixed this problem. A big thanks to shtewps for typing this DIY, and thanks for citing me shtewps.
Junior Albea (03-15-2021)
Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up

OP, can I just say how perfectly laid out your original post is? It is the PICTURE of what every DIY should be formatted like so both newbies and experienced DIYers get the information they need to do the job.

Most DIYs forget to put details like the specific part number, symptoms, etc. It makes digging for the information required to know all aspects of the problem/parts/prices/etc a bit labor intensive, as it sometimes spans multiple threads.

Seriously, thank you. I wish there was a style guide for DIYs like this.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

2003 TLS started throwing the alphabet soup of tranny codes last week including range sensor, incorrect gear ratio and few others. Picked up a range sensor from local parts store, popped it in, test drive shifts from 1-2 were a little harsh and funky shift into 3rd but otherwise drove ok. So decided to head over to Acura to get an OEM unit...10 minutes into the ride, back to the same problems described in this thread although I had to turn off ignition to reset...shifting to neutral didn't work. Acura tech took it for a ride and picked up a fresh incorrect gear ratio error and said it's likely check valve malfunctioning when under pressure. Acura wanted $4,000+ for another tranny...hmmm the last one they gave me under partial warranty lasted 65,000 miles, no thanks!

Spoke with local tranny shop....who told me 5 years ago when other tranny blew that the only way to fix these is to rebuild the valve body and something to do with the 3rd gear drum. Replacement tranny's from Acura implode between 65-70k miles....yes they do!

Other than tranny, car runs and looks brand new so this go around, will invest in a rebuild with a 3 year 50k warranty rather than another time bomb from the Lego tranny factory.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

01 TL CEL and TCS, code P0705

I have 01 TL with 269k on it. Trans replaced at 60k by Acura. Running fine until the other day CEL and TCS came on at same time, Trans feels like it slips at times, doesn't always go into gear right away. TCS not on all the time. Had CEL code read today and it came up p 0705. Sounds like it might be the switch. I will replace and post results.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2005 AT base with 117,000 and have been having some of these symptoms. it will down shift or up shift randomly sometimes. Like it's not the right time to shift. I tried to merge on the highway tonight and I stepped on it and for a second it felt like it shifted into neutral, the rpm's reved up. I stopped pressing the gas and tried again and no problem.

The trans isn't slipping, I'm watching it closely and have been for some time and I've tested it in sportshift, too. The fluid isn't burnt at all (Honda DW1), no CELs, and no blinking D indicator light.

The only symptom I'm not getting from the OP's problem is the D indicator light going out when it mis-shifts.

I think the switch is probably going out.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

Wire Harness

I have seen other DIY's on other sites, that suggest replacing the entire wire harness as well. Is this recommended?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Originally Posted by bjherr1
I have seen other DIY's on other sites, that suggest replacing the entire wire harness as well. Is this recommended?
No point in replacing both parts if you only need one. I guess the sensible thing to do would be replacing the sensor first and going from there. I've yet to hear anything about a bad harness, but I'm sure someone, somewhere, had to replace theirs.

It's all subjective.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Pro

Bump for more people to read about this rare issue.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:36 AM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

Should be in the garage
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
it happened to me about three months ago and the first symptom is flashing gear indicator during triptronic mode.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shtewps
No point in replacing both parts if you only need one. I guess the sensible thing to do would be replacing the sensor first and going from there. I've yet to hear anything about a bad harness, but I'm sure someone, somewhere, had to replace theirs.

It's all subjective.
Can someone advise on what the part number for the harness is? I'm having a terrible time trying to locate it. I have a 2007 TL.

p/n for 2007 range switch is: 28900-RYF-023 but what is it for the harness?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Anyone know if this would fix my recent issue ?

I get a delay before it engages to DRIVE (from REVERSE) After the car (06 TL) is parked on an incline like my driveway overnight in the morning, But the car is fine when its parked on a flat surface. It currently has new pressure switches (3rd and 4th) and 98K on the clock.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by coykiam

I get a delay before it engages to DRIVE (from REVERSE) After the car (06 TL) is parked on an incline like my driveway overnight in the morning, But the car is fine when its parked on a flat surface. It currently has new pressure switches (3rd and 4th) and 98K on the clock.
this has been happening to me too. only if its cold tho like 30> degrees

ive got 167,000 on the original transmission and engine in my 2002 tl. my favorite car ive driven so far. wish i could drive it forever
Old 01-06-2015, 07:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by coykiam

i forgot to say that the first owner of the car brought it in at 78,000 miles and had a tech reconfigure the tranny. might be a good idea to just pay an acura dealer to do it right with the right tools. my car is the only 2002 tl ive read about with 160k+ miles that is still on its first transmission.

look at it like this-
500$ (estimate) reprogram your tranny by a professional or 3000$ to have a new one put in?
Old 01-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cheacheachea
this has been happening to me too. only if its cold tho like 30> degrees

yup and it feels worst as the temperature gets colder. Takes about 5 or more seconds before it engages DRIVE. I read it in one of IHC's post that it's normal but his post mentioned it will be around 3 secs, since the car is designed to go from Park to 3rd gear then back to 1st and that it will engage faster with new pressure switches. But it seems the latter for me. The shifting does seem normal after the car has warmed up.

I'll be doing the 3x3 soon and hopefully it will fix or at least help the issue.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

bumpp! awesome thread. had code P0815 upshift switch circuit on an 04 TL. this was the fix.
shtewps (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 01:34 PM
'06 TL | WDP/Ebony +Nav

So rad. Thanks for posting that info!

Originally Posted by mikeng
bumpp! awesome thread. had code P0815 upshift switch circuit on an 04 TL. this was the fix.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:45 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I think this is gonna be my next thing, a few weeks ago the car wouldn't start until the starter was tapped. Put a new starter in, then a week or two later no start until I tried the key about 4 or 5 times. It happened twice today. I put the car in neutral and it started fine, I'm wondering if I could have skipped the starter, wish I tried the shifter first, at least I did that myself so no labor fees. Anybody else have problems that seem like the starter but it's the safety switch?

Also if I wind up ignoring it for a while, anybody have the thing completely fail and the move the shifter trick stopped working?

Anybody try an aftermarket one with luck? It's about half price on rockauto.

Quick Reply: C-037: DIY Gear Position Sensor Replacement (aka "transmission range switch")