Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO

**Mods feel free to change the name of the title for more accurate description**

So like many I cracked my windshield a few weeks back and then found out that my Insurance (GEICO) will not pay for Acura glass or an OEM replacement. They will only pay for aftermarket. I was furious and tried to fight it but just didn't have the patience so I searched Azine and was terrified by the many horror stories of replacing the most important glass in the vehicle with a knock off. Stories from people complaining of more road noise into the cabin, to waviness in the glass, and even feeling nauseous driving!!

Then I did more research thanks to Azine... people mentioned AP Tech being the OEM manufacturer of our TL Windshield, but others mentioned Pilkington and PPG as well... so more confusion.

I knew Acura did not make the glass and it was made from someone else. Just needed to find out who. So I looked into it and all the people that threw out names never posted back up after they got their windshield fixed.... so it couldn't be verified. UNTIL NOW!

PICTURE 1 SHOWING MY HUGE CRACK

PICTURE 2 SHOWING THE ACURA LOGO AND AP TECH LOGO UNDER IT

PICTURE 3 SHOWING MY REPLACEMENT WINDSHIELD MINUS THE ACURA LOGO - COMPARE ALL THE INSCRIPTIONS

Now its very obvious its the same exact windshield minus the Acura logo. All the inscriptions match up identical. I Drove the glass shop that did this install for me CRAZY to get to the bottom of this. LMAO!! They initially wanted to use Pilkington.

I looked on a Acura OEM Parts website and the windshield they have also states AP Tech in pranthesis on the order page with a price tag of $700 shipped.

OEM ACURA WINDSHIELD LINK (Part#73111-SEP-A20)

People without insurance can get this windshield replaced for approx $250 to $300 total. They billed my insurance $500. End result, I'm happy even-though Im now missing the Acura logo, but atleast I know its the same windshield.

And below I attached a logo for the Pilkington one just so people can see and compare that its not the company that makes the OEM acura glass.

Anyways goodluck guys and hopfully this makes it easier for the rest of us!

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 04-30-2011 at 12:59 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Elegant TYPE S:
Acura_Dude (07-14-2011), AdamNJ (04-20-2012), fkeller27 (07-14-2011), SilverSVT (08-11-2011), Tl1987 (04-24-2014), upcoast (04-22-2012) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Glad you found it!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
While you was researching this topic, did you find one that was more noisier without being wavy?

I need to replace mine. I would prefer one that was lighter weight than oem (hence noisier, which is ok to me). But, I could not tolerate the waviness. Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
very good info. i know a local installer in my area who quoted me $170 installed for AP tech windshield. he also can get pilkington or whatever you want. installation is done same day. just wanted to let you guys know to share the deal. i've alrdy had a friend who got his windshield done by him for his 08 civic and the installation is great and plus it comes with a warranty.

i have THREE rock chips on my window....people are always pointing that out to me since its so obvious.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Do you have glass insurance in your policy from geico? I also use geico and my glass insurance deductible is $50. My 07 suffered a crack 6-7" long due to a rock. I knew how expensive the oem windshield is got our cars, my insurance co quoted me $325. Of course they wanted to give me aftermarket glass, since my cost was only $50. I had to ask them if it was a factory oem replacement. They said no. I told them I didn't want it. I insisted on replacing my windshield with the same oem parts that was being taken off. They did it no problem. I just had to wait a few days for the glass shop
To order me the new windshield. My cost $50 them $650.

Either way, thanks for the info.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
thanks for the info ... but i feel like any big name brand aptech, pilkington, or pgw should be a fine replacement. i am rocking pgw right now and can't tell ne difference in noise level in the cabin is same if not quieter than oem
Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I had mine replaced some months back and I actually never paid attention to stuff like that but now I know. I guess next time I'll be getting oem. Mine now has some waves at the bottom of it and it does kinda annoy me but like I said I never gave it the attention. As for noise I always have the radio up.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got my replaced with PGW sound master about a few months ago. I found out after that AP Tech made our glass, couldnt find that information when i did research. I did have some worry at first, the glass place replaced the windshield for about $85!! I paid out of pocket, insurance wanted me to go to safelite and I still have to pay $250. I called around and found a place a couple of places all below $250 and use PGW.

I did noticed a line of distortion on the bottom of the glass about an inch in height from end to end, which made the line of the road curve in. Also, I believe there is more curvature on the side of the glass, but made very very slight waves. I'm really anal when it comes to replacing parts on my car.

Overall, for $85 I would do it again. I got used to the distortion on the bottom of my windsheild. It acutally comes in handy now, I used it as an indicator to see if im in the middle of the lane. If the lines goes into where the VIN # is..im center in the lane..LOL
Old 04-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
...So like many I cracked my windshield a few weeks back and then found out that my Insurance (GEICO) will not pay for Acura glass or an OEM replacement. They will only pay for aftermarket.
No one's fault but your own. Read your policy (which I guess you've now done). So I'm curious, now that you know this, have you changed your policy??

.... so I searched Azine and was terrified by the many horror stories of replacing the most important glass in the vehicle with a knock off. Stories from people complaining of more road noise into the cabin, to waviness in the glass, and even feeling nauseous driving!!
From what I've read here on Azine, that is way OVERSTATED. By far, most people are satisfied with aftermarket acoustic glass.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
I was in the same issue a few months back when I had a large crack similar to yours.. ended up getting safelite brand w/ acoustic barrier which I believe is standard. So far cannot really see any sigificant differences.. also same problems w/ Geico issurance
Old 05-01-2011, 01:52 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
While you was researching this topic, did you find one that was more noisier without being wavy?

I need to replace mine. I would prefer one that was lighter weight than oem (hence noisier, which is ok to me). But, I could not tolerate the waviness. Thanks
Didn't look. Was mainly trying to achieve an exact OEM replacement. Also I learned that the windshield also is a structural support part and helps stabilize with body flex in the front of the car. So I don't think its advisable to go with one that's lighter in weight... or at least do some more research to be safe.

Originally Posted by jptl04
Do you have glass insurance in your policy from geico? I also use geico and my glass insurance deductible is $50. My 07 suffered a crack 6-7" long due to a rock. I knew how expensive the oem windshield is got our cars, my insurance co quoted me $325. Of course they wanted to give me aftermarket glass, since my cost was only $50. I had to ask them if it was a factory oem replacement. They said no. I told them I didn't want it. I insisted on replacing my windshield with the same oem parts that was being taken off. They did it no problem. I just had to wait a few days for the glass shop
To order me the new windshield. My cost $50 them $650.

Either way, thanks for the info.
I have glass insurance in my policy with a $0 deductable. They allowed me to have genuine OEM glass when I needed it for my GS 1.5 years ago, but this time they said they changed the policy and would not make any exceptions. I did have to argue back then too, but there wasn't as much resistance as I encountered this time. I was left with no choice this time.

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
No one's fault but your own. Read your policy (which I guess you've now done). So I'm curious, now that you know this, have you changed your policy??

From what I've read here on Azine, that is way OVERSTATED. By far, most people are satisfied with aftermarket acoustic glass.
You are right, I wasn't fully aware of the fine print but I am now. I did not change it as I do not see it being worth it to pay more since its the same product. At least I'm ok with it. And as far as the other horror stories.. it very well maybe overstated, but no way was I going to risk it.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Which company replaced the glass? I had a chip filled by Safelite and their quote for replacement is quite reasonable, although I have been hesitant to pull the trigger as I don't want an inferior replacement.

Good thread!!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking to get mine replaced the installer told me a lot of windshields are now being produced in China and the quality is not good, optical being one of many. He stated most insurance companies will not cover OEM or will cover the cost one time only, check your policy. I chose not to replace mine.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
AP Tech. Nice to know!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by soon2b954
When I was looking to get mine replaced the installer told me a lot of windshields are now being produced in China and the quality is not good, optical being one of many. He stated most insurance companies will not cover OEM or will cover the cost one time only, check your policy. I chose not to replace mine.
That's only true if buying Safelite (or similar) glass not manufactured AND STAMPED by one of the OEM distributor glass companies (AP Tech, PPG, Pilkington).

In fact, we've (me included) been using incorrect terminology when referring to differences in glass.

There are actually 3 terms/types of glass:

Dealer
OEM distributor
Aftermarket or Original Equipment Equivalent (may be manufactured by any glass company, but doesn't meet OEM specs).

Both dealer (made by the company who has the glass contract for the auto company) and OEM distributor (AP tech, PPG, Pilkington) glass are made to full OEM specifications and thickness.

Dealer glass will have the "Acura" stamp on the glass. OEM distributor glass will not, but it's virtually identical to dealer glass.

Aftermarket glass or OEE (Safelite, etc) does not conform to OEM specifications in most cases and may actually be thinner than OEM specifications.

Bottom line, if manufactured by AP Tech, Pilkington or PPG with the respective company stamp, it should be identical to dealer glass. Just make sure it says OEM glass or OEM specs...

http://www.autoglassrepairinfo.com/c...d-replacement/

Last edited by nfnsquared; 05-01-2011 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stackitt (08-26-2015)
Old 05-01-2011, 01:27 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
^^^ with trying to use the OEM brand of glass

shit alot of parts on cars are not even made by the manufacture of the car, but by independent companies that contract out to the manufactures, like AP glass
Old 05-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Elegant for the thorough research you did! I too have Geico and this info will definitely be helpful for me down the road.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Elegant,

Thank you for the write up, I have a chip and have been sweating replacing the glass. Your detail and effort to write this up (with the photos) is greatly appreciated.

Anyone have any issues with water or air leaks after having their windshield replaced?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:07 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
^ You should not experience any of those issues if a good quality job is performed. Most cases it's completely sealed and should be fine. I had mine done by safelite and no issues
Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

x2 ... make sure to read reviews of whatever shop u r taking it to, make sure they have good reviews, so u can have a proper installation. good install = no leaks, no issues
Old 05-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you order the AP glass from?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by liono
Where did you order the AP glass from?
You just call up any auto glass repair shop and ask them what brand windshield they use to replace on your make and model and if its not AP Tech ask them if they can get you AP Tech and get a quote.. Simple as that..
upcoast (04-22-2012)
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Race Director

Everyone needs to go back and read post #15.

AP Tech is the current contractor for Acura DEALER glass: glass that is made to OEM standards/specs AND HAS THE ACURA LOGO.

AP Tech also makes OEM glass: glass that is made to OEM standards/specs BUT DOES NOT HAVE THE ACURA LOGO.

In addition to AP Tech, several other glass companies also make OEM glass that is an exact match for DEALER glass, but does not have the ACURA logo.

You don't have to go to AP tech to get glass made to OEM standards/specs, there are several other options out there besides AP Tech.

If you want DEALER glass, it will have to be ordered through an Acura dealer and shipped to the glass shop. No glass shop anywhere can get it, they have to go through an Acura dealer.
upcoast (04-22-2012)
Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ This is correct I went with AP Tech because I felt comfortable in the fact that it was the same glass just minus the logo. But you can go w/ other brands if you wish.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work for STATE FARM INSURANCE, and we also stopped doing oem glass replacements. Our TL oem windshiled has a sound barrier and for some reason some after market companies do not have that. My co worker had to pay the glass tech person an extra 250.00 out of pocket to get the oem windshield.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by NOTSKERDD
I work for STATE FARM INSURANCE, and we also stopped doing oem glass replacements. Our TL oem windshiled has a sound barrier and for some reason some after market companies do not have that. My co worker had to pay the glass tech person an extra 250.00 out of pocket to get the oem windshield.
I think you mean to say you (State Farm) stopped doing DEALER glass.

As I've pointed out, there are several companies who make OEM DISTRIBUTOR glass (AP Tech, Pilkington, PPG) with the acoustic insert which are identical to DEALER glass except for the ACURA LOGO.

These same companies also make AFTERMARKET glass which does not meet OEM specs nor do they have the acoustic insert.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

just for the record ... and to prevent confusion ppg is now pgw
Old 05-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
I think you mean to say you (State Farm) stopped doing DEALER glass.

As I've pointed out, there are several companies who make OEM DISTRIBUTOR glass (AP Tech, Pilkington, PPG) with the acoustic insert which are identical to DEALER glass except for the ACURA LOGO.

These same companies also make AFTERMARKET glass which does not meet OEM specs nor do they have the acoustic insert.
I was just told the same from safelite and my insurance company. I just had a nice bunch of spiderweb cracks appear from a freaking impact from something. 8-inches across in the dead center under the mirror...
Old 05-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
That's only true if buying Safelite (or similar) glass not manufactured AND STAMPED by one of the OEM distributor glass companies (AP Tech, PPG, Pilkington).

In fact, we've (me included) been using incorrect terminology when referring to differences in glass.

There are actually 3 terms/types of glass:

Dealer
OEM distributor
Aftermarket or Original Equipment Equivalent (may be manufactured by any glass company, but doesn't meet OEM specs).

Both dealer (made by the company who has the glass contract for the auto company) and OEM distributor (AP tech, PPG, Pilkington) glass are made to full OEM specifications and thickness.

Dealer glass will have the "Acura" stamp on the glass. OEM distributor glass will not, but it's virtually identical to dealer glass.

Aftermarket glass or OEE (Safelite, etc) does not conform to OEM specifications in most cases and may actually be thinner than OEM specifications.

Bottom line, if manufactured by AP Tech, Pilkington or PPG with the respective company stamp, it should be identical to dealer glass. Just make sure it says OEM glass or OEM specs...

http://www.autoglassrepairinfo.com/c...d-replacement/
+1

Safelite sucks.

Stick to PPG, Carlite, AP Tech and Pilkington. I've had an aftermarket Pilkington for over a year and a half with no issues whatsoever.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
**Mods feel free to change the name of the title for more accurate description**

So like many I cracked my windshield a few weeks back and then found out that my Insurance (GEICO) will not pay for Acura glass or an OEM replacement. They will only pay for aftermarket. I was furious and tried to fight it but just didn't have the patience so I searched Azine and was terrified by the many horror stories of replacing the most important glass in the vehicle with a knock off. Stories from people complaining of more road noise into the cabin, to waviness in the glass, and even feeling nauseous driving!!

Then I did more research thanks to Azine... people mentioned AP Tech being the OEM manufacturer of our TL Windshield, but others mentioned Pilkington and PPG as well... so more confusion.

I knew Acura did not make the glass and it was made from someone else. Just needed to find out who. So I looked into it and all the people that threw out names never posted back up after they got their windshield fixed.... so it couldn't be verified. UNTIL NOW!

PICTURE 1 SHOWING MY HUGE CRACK

PICTURE 2 SHOWING THE ACURA LOGO AND AP TECH LOGO UNDER IT

PICTURE 3 SHOWING MY REPLACEMENT WINDSHIELD MINUS THE ACURA LOGO - COMPARE ALL THE INSCRIPTIONS

Now its very obvious its the same exact windshield minus the Acura logo. All the inscriptions match up identical. I Drove the glass shop that did this install for me CRAZY to get to the bottom of this. LMAO!! They initially wanted to use Pilkington.

I looked on a Acura OEM Parts website and the windshield they have also states AP Tech in pranthesis on the order page with a price tag of $700 shipped.

OEM ACURA WINDSHIELD LINK (Part#73111-SEP-A20)

People without insurance can get this windshield replaced for approx $250 to $300 total. They billed my insurance $500. End result, I'm happy even-though Im now missing the Acura logo, but atleast I know its the same windshield.

And below I attached a logo for the Pilkington one just so people can see and compare that its not the company that makes the OEM acura glass.

How strange. I actually have the same crack on my windshield. A rock must of hit my windshield while on the Palisades parkway.
Would you mind sharing contact info for the glass place that replaced your windshield?
thanks,
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Very cool. I had mine replaced last week directly from Acura. A company came to my house to replace it. $900 was billed to my insurance.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 PM

wow that shop jipped your insurance company lol.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I'm in for this, have had a chip in the glass for a good year now, but eventually will need to change. In Florida, i think there aren't any questions with windshield replacement and the only out of pocket I've had in the past is for the molding that might not be able to be reused.

J.

Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
damn i got the same crack! i got mine replaced with ap tech for 140 including labor. but my oem windshield and windows never said acura. they all say honda ... weird
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by nyczkennyy
damn i got the same crack! i got mine replaced with ap tech for 140 including labor. but my oem windshield and windows never said acura. they all say honda ... weird
only 07-08 TL say acura. 04-06 say honda.

btw, anyone have a good reason to replace glass due to rock chips? i've got 3, 2 of them are kinda small but 1 is pretty noticeable and will crack some more if i give it a firm hit. is there any other reason to replace it besides aesthetic reasons?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
only 07-08 TL say acura. 04-06 say honda.

btw, anyone have a good reason to replace glass due to rock chips? i've got 3, 2 of them are kinda small but 1 is pretty noticeable and will crack some more if i give it a firm hit. is there any other reason to replace it besides aesthetic reasons?
All you can do is ask, but I doubt it. However, most insurance companies will send a company out to fill/repair chips for free. The resin used today is pretty good and in most cases you can barely tell it's been repaired.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nyczkennyy

where did you get this replaced at?
Im in Queens and have no idea where to go.
All I can think of is that glass shop by Citi Field.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

ok,...i found a glass place who can get and install AP Tech or PPG glass.

185.00 for AP Tech glass + Tax

my insurance wont foot the whole bill but will pay a max..
of $472.18

this is sounding to good to be true.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
ok,...i found a glass place who can get and install AP Tech or PPG glass.

185.00 for AP Tech glass + Tax

my insurance wont foot the whole bill but will pay a max..
of $472.18

this is sounding to good to be true.
Yes, sound to good to be true. Be careful. Ask them these 2 questions:

1. Is it "acoustical" glass?

AND

2. Is it OEM DISTRIBUTOR glass? (as opposed to AFTERMARKET glass, which won't meet OEM specifications).

As I've pointed out before, just because it's made by APTech doesn't mean it meets OEM specs. It has to be DEALER or OEM DISTRIBUTOR grade glass to meet OEM specs.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, sound to good to be true. Be careful. Ask them these 2 questions:

1. Is it "acoustical" glass?

AND

2. Is it OEM DISTRIBUTOR glass? (as opposed to AFTERMARKET glass, which won't meet OEM specifications).

As I've pointed out before, just because it's made by APTech doesn't mean it meets OEM specs. It has to be DEALER or OEM DISTRIBUTOR grade glass to meet OEM specs.

so i called another place and asked them both questions.
They said yes, and I also asked them to read the number on the replacement glass from their dealer/ supplier ( as he called him on the other phone )

He reiterated the part number on the glass you see in the above pic

195 is the cost. not sure about the molding but, what is that? an extra 10-15 bucks?

Quick Reply: K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO